“budget apartment hotel”

Corona Roja - Playa del Ingles
Ranked #93 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Great location for beach and restaurants, but only gets 3 stars because the hotel itself is not that good. We asked on the booking form for quite rooms and although the disclaimer said that it may not be able to accommodate, I felt that they looked at the comments and did the total opposite as my room was 3 doors away from the lifts and stairs as well as had the noise from the busy motorway and pool area.
They also charge for using the safe in the rooms as well as the television (although I don't usually watch when abroad so didn't miss this) and have no kettle/coffee maker or microwave in the rooms but they can be hired. There is a 2 ring hob and the provide a saucepan so you can heat water up for tea and coffee and I ended up buying a mug in one of the local shops as the tea cups are small.
I was on the second floor and although the room did become hot, I could cool it down by leaving the windows open and closing the fabric part of the curtains (the backing was blackout type material) allowing the cool breeze in but shutting out the sun. Fans and air con can be hired from reception but coped with the heat ok.
Overall the place was clean and I didn't mind housekeeping every other day, could have done with extra towels but I find this the case with most hotels. The room was only used as a place to sleep and rest up as we hired a car and explored the island or headed to the beach. There was some free parking outside the hotel and we were lucky the whole week but I can imagine it to be really difficult to park in peak season.
I had breakfast the first morning I was there and for 5 euros it wasn't too bad. Again basic but you could fill up, not full English but had sausages, beans and boiled eggs as well as the usual continental of toast, cereal, yoghurt, cheese, ham and tea/coffee.
I did use the pool but it was a bit small and generally used by children so if you want to swim and you don't mind swimming in the sea, this is probably your best bet.
In summary a basic apartment hotel that is clean but has few facilities in rooms, if on a budget try and spend a little extra for a one bed apartment with balconies so you have somewhere nice to sit (a friend upgraded and this room was more spacious but lacked the same equipment as mine), but it is possible to have a studio and enjoy your week away.

Room Tip: The hotel is situated by a busy main road so if you are a light sleeper get a room with air con or h...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed October 8, 2013

This is a budget hotel, so don't expect anything fancy. I was initially on the second floor, in a studio apartment. The lack of air con made the room overwhelmingly hot. I asked reception who upgraded me to a second floor room which had a balcony. This was ideal as it meant you could have the patio doors open which gave you plenty of breeze.

The balcony room felt much bigger and didn't have a bedsit feel of the studio apartment. I had to pay an extra 10 euros a night for this.

The room was a bit tatty looking - the towels and sheets were clean, but some were a bit worse for wear with cigarette burns etc,

Don't expect to be able to cook.anything fancy as the self catering is 2 rings on a hob and a fridge and sink. No kettles, ovens or microwaves. You only get 2 of each cutlery/dinner ware.

I rented a car for the week and could park it for free outside the hotel on street parking. If there was none, then you had to park in the adjacent streets which were meter paid and free after 8pm.

The TV is coin slot operated in the room do didn't use that and although wi-fi signal was strong, you also had to pay for that.

Beach is 5min walk down some stairs, which had a long ramp so was baby buggy/disabled friendly. The water was clean and sand impeccable. You could sit on the rock jetty to avoid getting too sandy. You got new towels every 2nd day.

Plenty of restaurants nearby to eat in. Lots of good Spanish food. You do get hassled by restaurant owners to go in and eat in their restaurants though, so we played the game of crossing over when we spotted them.

There is an also an Aldi 2km driving distance as all the local shops are expensive for food etc.

Overall, playa de ingles is much nicer than Maspalomas, which felt very tacky and gaudy when we went there for a night out.

The scenery in the center of the island was breathtakingly beautiful. The roads are just wide enough for two cars and the mountains could rival the grand canyon for picturesque views. The airport is only 20mins drive away and very easy to get to along a Motorway. The scenic route for a day out is via Morgan, then San Nicholas de Tolentio, then Artenera, then Fontales, Teror, Arucas and then motorway all the way back to hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank myshgsh1
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This place is an absolute hole in the ground...tired, and old looking..should be pulled down.
There are plenty of nice hotels in this lovely area.
Bad points.
No cleaners on Thursday or Sunday.
Towels changed every 3 days.
Had to ask at reception for toilet rolls ( not needed to do this since schooldays )
First room we had smelt of piss.
Second room on 4 th floor marginally better, but balcony wall loose ( I could move it a full 2 inches)
Breakfast menu repetitive ( although on one unforgettable day we got some bacon )
No air con ( unless you pay extra )
When we left, the staff were a little hesitant to repay our deposit for the safe.

Good Points.

Central location near many good restaurants and very close to nice beach
Although repetitive breakfast menu the sausages were the best I have tasted.

Summary ; You are far better off paying a little more, and keeping away from this fleapit.

Room Tip: Avoid this place
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank des k
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here for 10 nights I have never seen such poor quality and quantity of food I paid over a thousand pound for two of us and had to eat out most nights there was no entertainment and the pool had black and cracked tiles inside the edge of it I can honestly say this was my worst holiday in years

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed October 6, 2013

me and the wife had such a hectic year we thought lets go on holiday well we came back more stressed and tired !!!! when we arrived we were welcomed by a very rude and grumpy night manager we signed in and given a room 224 so of we went found room with 224 written in felt tip opened it and well all i can say is i have seen better rooms the room was more like a s&m dungeon it was ***** so i went back upto the happy night manager and asked if we could change rooms as that room was terrible (being nice) he said no i was unlucky to be given the room but did get it changed the next day by someone else the new room was very dated (mid 80s design) broken tiles not a very nice bathroom then there was the all inc facitilies breakfast cakes sausages and toast(sometimes egg but no saugages) dinner salad pizza spaggetti ice cream: lunch it was crap so eat out had to pay for tv in room swimming pool was broken tiles loose ladders in all DONT STAY HERE MORE FAULTS THAN CAN WRITE WORSE HOLIDAY E-V-E-R

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Deborah A
Reviewed October 3, 2013

me an my friend got bak from this hotel yday ,have never stayed in such a crappy hotel ,rooms r dirty beds very uncomfotable mattress covered in piss stains .cockroaches everywhere , supp to b all inc wot a joke ,most guests ate out as food was disgusting an were not fussy eaters .in our opinioin the hotel should b knoicked down an rebuilt , couldnt go in pool as dirty an tilkes missin .pls take note an save ur money do NOT go there u av bin warned

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank helen s
Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I just checked out of here today after staying for a week with my boyfriend we are both in our 30's I was very happy to be leaving I have never stayed in a worse place in my life . I had read the reviews before going and thought it cudnt b that bad but believe me all the bad reviews are true. Our studio apartment was rough, had broken floor tiles broken drawers and no hangers to hang anything up we requested a balcony and a double bed and upon arrival we were not given either it was two single beds which cud not be pushed together I asked at reception and a very ignornant woman dresses in a red uinform told me I has to do with it or else I could leave ! The food was very bad also . The pool area, the tiles are broken there is scum on the top of the water also it turns your swimwear black ! In the apartments you have to pay €1 per hour to watch bad quality tv the sheets on our bed were dirty . I am not a fussy person as we had stayed in average accomadation before and had a great time but this is the worst looking back on our week we both say we wud have prefered to sleep outside ! Gran canaria and playa del ingles however is gorgeous we will return next year bur in my opinion this hotel should be knocked a dog would not enjoy it ! Honest honest review please read this and don't stat here there is plenty of cheap accomadation available in gran canaria ...

• Stayed: October 2013