“Great short stay break at Corona Roja!”

Corona Roja - Playa del Ingles
Ranked #93 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was concerned about the negative reviews on this site after I booked a short stay break at the Corona Roja Apts Aug 30th -Sept3rd. Myself and a friend booked a two bed Apt. On arrival we quickly registered and went to our allocated Apt. What a surprise! It was on the thirthteenth floor
with a beautiful view of the beach and sandunes. We paid for Wi Fi in the apartment 16 euro for 4 nights and had no problems with this throughout. Weather was fantastic- very warm and sunny.
The beach is 2 mins away and indeed the apartments and surrounding area were very quiet in he evenings and through the night. We had just booked bed and breakfast so we ate each evening down at the beach restaurants. All told this break was like a little touch of paradise. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Two bed apartments on higher floors seem to be better value. Even though there migh be an initial co...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed here about 4 times in the last 3 years, and the fact that I keep going back says something.. It's not the most expensive hotel on the island, however you will be forgiven for thinking it's more expensive than it actually is. The food is fantastic compared to some other all inclusive hotels I've stayed in, in the canaries. The only downside is the size of the bar is only big enough for one member of staff, therefore service is a bit slow. Definitely heading back again

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank jamiemcd2014
Reviewed September 3, 2013

its a cheap holiday, you get what you pay for.
The hotel was very clean, and very spacious! There was 2 balconies which were both generous in size and even though i was on the 10th floor i felt safe. The staff just kept themselves to themselves its not rudeness they're just getting on with there job. Bedding could of be changed more regular but i met the cleaners twice and they was very friendly and didnt seem 'suspicious of stealing' Yes the food was repetitive, and it was nice to eat out occasionally but like i said, cheap holiday what more do you expect. If you want something 5 star (which i might add in gran can even a 5 star hotel is prone to cockroaches) then pay for it!!! I had a lovely time and really enjoyed my stay. Everything was close by the area i really dont know what else you could possibly ask for.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank loranhowells
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My best friend and i stayed at the Corona Roja for 11days (15th - 16th July 2013) as an all inclusive planned holiday through Thomas Cook. On arrival into Playa Del Ingles, i saw the hotel from a mile off when we were still driving into the area. The transfer took 25mins from Las Palmos airport and we arrived at 20:55. I asked if the man behind reception could save us a bit of dinner as the food ended at 21:00, he replied "no" that's all i got from him, no apology. I asked him where's the best local restaurant to go to at this time, he pointed out of the automatic doors and had a smirk on his face!
We stayed in 205 (studio with no balcony on the 2nd floor with a view of the motorway and pool) we spoke to each other and decided to go downstairs and ask for a balcony, the same guy explained the rooms were all full, i highly doubted that! We didn't expect 5* but we had a basic kitchenette with sink, a fridge etc. Bathroom had toilet, washing basin and shower in the bath which was a half bath so had to shower regardless. We had twin beds both single but felt like a queen sized because they were connected, wardrobe provided no more hangers than i'd say 10 items. Overall the general look of the apartment was basic white but all the necessities were there. The location of the hotel was perfect for a quick 3 minute walk to the beach. People who are able to walk up and down 50 steps to get down to the beach are fine. If you like your nightlife the Kasbah is a 10 minute walk straight forward from the entrance of the hotel on wards down on straight road, it's pretty ideal and has some wicked clubs like MTV (i recommend going to their boat party for 50eu on a Tuesday or Friday if you're 18-30) the Kasbah also has a Linekers bar, Seven, etc and pub crawl which you can hustle for free with boat party. If you like all things fabulous, you'll love the Jumbo, 2 kms away from the Corona Roja (me and my friend used to walk as it wasn't that excruciating) and about 10minutes on wards from the Kasbah on foot! Jumbo is so much fun and a taxi back at most cost me 4.50eu.
Don't be expecting entertainment great at the Corona Roja, you get a guy sometimes singing with a microphone doing karaoke whilst you're trying to eat your dinner.
All inclusive drinks provided a range from; local beer, wine, sangria, vodka, tequila, rum, soft drinks and even coffee (hot drinks) throughout the day. Unlike any other hotel i've stayed at all inclusive, this hotel shut off all of their drinks machines from breakfast finishing time of 10am until 11am. One day one of my girl friends that we met at the hotel asked if she could grab some water after getting sun stroke and she was directed to the shop on the ground floor. When it came to asking for cocktails usually it'll come at no extra cost at most hotels but they weren't included in all inclusive. The only person who would serve you a cocktail is Max (known on his name badge as Markos). Bar staff were genuinely rude apart from Max, Kay (who is British born with red hair) and Julia warmed to me and my friend after finding out that Felix (my friend is half Spanish!)
One problem i had with the hotel was the Wifi, some days it would say connected at full bars but not work anywhere other than the seating area at reception. We soon discovered you can get wifi in the restaurant area if you sit somewhere kind of near the food.
A poolside note, please be gracious and pick up your half a dozen plastic cups as people would have no manners and leave them rolling around in the slight breeze breaking everyone's relaxing sun bedding silence!! (well not really silence as there was music playing at a reasonable level sometimes in the background). Pool itself could've done with slight heating but once the weather hits its peak in the day (July) it was refreshing to jump in when you over heat.
Lets talk weather.. we had heights of 36degrees in mid July which was good if you weren't moving around,
The gay beach is about a 2.5km walk away from the Corona Roja just to add that in, instead of trying to be clever and walking through the area like me and my friend, it'll be much easier to walk from the Corona Roja side of the beach, all away along to the discrete end (with nudist section first, then gay beach.)
Back to the hotel, i would stay there again as it was just a hotel with flaws but i wouldn't go all inclusive there again. Me and Fe are vegetarians and sometimes Kay (British waitress) would have a word with the chef and get them to bring out something suitable for us too. If you don't like chips, salad or rice or pasta and you're vegetarian.. don't bother eating at 2* Corona Roja!
All in all, we managed to cope 11days at the Corona Roja. I personally managed to make a mixture of friends from different backgrounds, countries and age ranges at the hotel itself!
My age is 20 and my friend is also 20 and we can officially say we've had a wicked time, not only getting the hotel in the bundle that costs £640 all inclusive for 11days, but we took 350eu over each and just under £1000.. it was worth it for the amount of times i left that hotel on my way to party drunk!! Just thought i'd mention age at the end so people don't steer away from reading their own age brackets general comments and i hope this long review could help you pick this hotel, don't let ridiculous reviews put you off i've read some and people like to pick at things that are so false and pretentious. Thanks for reading :)

Room Tip: Rooms in the lower hundreds are easier to access by foot, but no balconies
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank TBrown93
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a girls holiday all inclusive. Group of six aged 21-25. We were dreading our stay after reading some of the bad reviews. Pleasantly surprised when we arrived. Rooms were very spacious and spotless. Yes food was sometimes repetitive but was very enjoyable. The bar men were very generous with the alcohol measures!The hotel is situated close to the beach,shops and restaurants. I recommend the "cheers" bar up the road from the hotel. The staff and owner enrique were very friendly and even gave us a free limo ride around playa de ingles with champagne. Pool was nice apart from the saltwater! And turning swimwear green,also everyones blonde hair but all in all very nice hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank laura W
Reviewed August 14, 2013

stayed here in may .cheapest place i could find was given a room with no balcony, a window 6 feet up from the ground and no gap between beds so it did resemble a prison cell lol but because i was alone it wasnt an issue and was impressed with the condition of room and utilities and the firm mattress liked being on the first floor didn't have to contend with lifts.i stayed room only and most morning paid the 5 euro for breakfast .not great but adequate,neither was the snack menu but i was impressed with the restaurant menu and also the service friendly professional and efficient.the only disappointment i had was the wifi only available in the lobby and barely worked.as for location for me it was central enough im a fast walker so kasbah is a 15 min walk yumbo 20 mins.also u can use public bus to go to airport its only around the corner in the tropical; shopping arcade takes 35 mins . to sum it up i paid peanuts got nuts and a beer.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank pcossie
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I have just return from a holiday with 4 friends. We were apprehensive about staying in this hotel after reading the reviews. When we arrived and saw a huge tower block our nerves weren't really settled! However, when we got inside we saw that everything was clean, well kept and the staff were friendly and helpful.
Our room was very clean and tidy upon arrival. In order to have air conditioning you had to pay extra, we didn't do this and had no problem sleeping at night. The maids came in, changed the bed, cleaned the bathroom and didn't touch any of our stuff - I noticed that some people have commented on this.
Having never been on an all inclusive holiday, I didn't have high expectations for the food. However, once again, I was suprised. The food was very nice all be it that each day was a varient of the same thing.
When looking at reviews I picked up that there seemed to be a lot of complaints concerning the pool. Although there were some broken tiles, it wasn't dangerous and it was perfectly reasonable. The building did not put the pool into the shade until about 4/5pm. It wasn't crowed and there were plenty of sunbeds available. In fact, we spen most of our time there!
We would definitely stay in this hotel again. It was absolutely perfect for what we wanted.

• Stayed: August 2013
Apartamentos Las Faluas
Apartamentos Las Faluas
#67 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Bungalows Vista Oasis Apartments

Been to Corona Roja - Playa del Ingles? Share your experiences!