“listen to all these bad reviews, seriously!”

Corona Roja - Playa del Ingles
Ranked #108 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“listen to all these bad reviews, seriously!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. When we arrived we weren't greeted, just had out passports taken from us to be kept by the hotel, keys thrown at us and told what floor our room was on.
When we got t our room it was boiling! And to our total disbelief considering we'd requested a balcony and superior room, it was missing a balcony, air conditioning and only had a window that would open 3inches at most. Baring in mind we were staying for 2 weeks mid July/August in almost 50degree heat...
When we complained about our room before even putting our suitcases down, the pleasant man who didn't greet us and almost assaulted us by handing us our room keys, shrugged and said we had to talk to the manager in the morning.
We stayed in the room praying that night.
The next morning we met the darling manageress, she was something from a horror story and had the worst attitude towards paying guests I have ever witnessed.
We had to stay 2whole week's in that dreaded room and we weren't the only guests occupying it the whole time. On many occasions we had to get the cleaners to kill cockroaches bigger than the mouldy, rusted old plugholes in the bathroom.
We got scared to open the gap of our window.
The only chance we got to have dry towels for showers were when the cleaners changed them after a week. Thanks to the lack of air...
The beds creaked and represented a more brickwork feel than a mattress to sleep on. The floors weren't clean on arrival. I'm almost glad we went all inclusive when you saw the filth in the pots, pans and dishes.
The food....what can I say!? We lived mostly off the watery lettuce, hard boiled eggs and bread. It was practically the same selection all day every day. Dry fries, soaking salad, over cooked and dried out pasta or sometimes e if you were lucky, and some form of meat that was unidentifiable after it was boiled to...beyond death.
The staff on reception were appalling and the worst I've come across.
The bar staff were too friendly. friendly got asked if my breast we're real, if my eyes were real,and I got asked if they could take a picture of me, almost everyday. Total disgrace but nobody to complain to.
All the tiled areas of the hotel were smashed somewhere or somehow. I grazed my knee in the pool on several pieces of broken tiles. You were chucked off the broken sun loungers before the sun disappeared behind the ugly hotel building, and sometimes you weren't allowed around the pool till we'll after breakfast because the astrology old git 'cleaning', wasn't done yet...had plenty of time to help himself to customer buffer with his dirty unwashed hands though...
I will never return to this hotel and I told the vial horror character that was the manageress that I would write such a review when she literally did nothing for us our entire holiday, then and then to rub it all in refused to let us have any food or drink after breakfast when our flight was till 2am.
My friend and I did not get a good deal on this hotel at all, it was not good value for money and I almost want to cry when I think of the money and time I spent there.
A good point was that other great restaurants and McDonald's (which is all we could really afford since we went all inclusive and didn't expect to have to eat out at every meal time) was a short walk away.
You may not believe it, but this is a fully truthful and honest review of this hotel by a genuine, far from picky 22year old girl.

Room Tip: Chose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Abby E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Hi all, I am going here in a few weeks and I'm wondering if there is a fridge in the room? Also is the hotel a good place to stay? Is the food nice? My friends & I just picked a cheap & cheerfull week away :) Thank you

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kirsten W
exeter
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the week leading up to Easter
good points - clean, bar service good and staff friendly.
Average points - food ok but not very spanishy, Rooms of a good size and cleaned 3/4 times whist there
Bad points Internet rarely connects, hotel is dated especially out side -
Very bad points - no ash trays so cig ends left every where

If you are looking for something cheap and cheerful on all inclusive this is ideal - if you are looking for something spanishy, classy and with beautiful food this is not for you.

We wanted a cheap week in the sun and this was perfect - our expectations were not high and therefore we were not disappointed - if like us you want a good value base then this is ideal - just don't pay a lot of money to stay here !

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank davjav
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Very good place
More economy (1 double room 30 euro for day) the residence id very near at the sea
Ideal for young boys ...not for family
More person are English and german nationality
WI FI free but bot on camera. WI FI free only at the hall of residence

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank gurtinho88
Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We booked this hotel for a cheap break away in the sun and I mean cheap, £16 per person per night for a two roomed apartment. After reading reviews was not expecting much but I was pleased with this hotel. On arrival we found we had a huge apartment with a bedroom and lounge/kitchen with huge windows but since I prefer a balcony I asked to be moved. A very helpful man on reception changed our room without question. Moved to a studio with a huge terrace complete with outside table and chairs. It was spotless amd was kept this way daily throughout our week.Just a two burner cooker, missed a kettle but just used a pot to boil water for tea/coffee. Breakfasr buffet was only 5 euros and consisted of 3 types of bread to toast. 3 kinds of fresh rolls. 4 types of cereal, boiled eggs, different hot dish every day, pork sausage or bacon or ham. Cold meat, cheese , tomato, all kinds of jam, marmalade and honey, some mornings fresh fruit and sometimes tinned fruit, 5 or 6 types of pastries and all kinds of coffee and flavours of tea, good value. We also had dinner buffet for 10 euros and an example was 1 type of soup, we had delicisous chicken noodle with huge chinks of chicken, fresh rolls, choice of main meals on this night was fresh grilled salmon, roast beef, spaghetti bolognese, 3 types of potato, chips, roast potatoes and potatoes layonaise, fresh cauliflower, lettuce, tomato, peppers, coleslaw, pasta salad and lots of salad dressings. For desert there waas 3 kinds of ice cream and chocolate mousse. Each night as you ate there was entertainment. pne night a spanish trio playing traditional folk music, another a singer/guitarist singing modern music., We found the staff to be very helpful. The outside pools do require upgrading with quite a few missing tiles. we found the ouside pools too cold but there was a small indoor pool which was much better. The tv was coin operated, 1 euro for an hour which is ok for me as I just like to keep up with the news but not so good if your kids like their morning cartoons (no kids channels anyway). The weather was unbelievably hot for march, 80 plus degrees so not in room much. They had a free wi fi zone in the lounge and 3 computers that cost 1euro for 15 minutes on the internet. The hotel has a supermarket right outside which is very handy also a beauty salon which gives the mot amazing pedicure i have ever had for 25 euros. Within 3 minute walk there is a shopping centre and a bus station and you can go to anywhere on the island from there for a couple of euros, try the atlantico shopping centre, no. 90 bus straight from station to the door for 2.40 one way. Lots of lovely shops,zara and boutiques also a gigantic carrefour hypermarket. Also try the Yumbo centre, you can walk there but hubby disabled so took a taxi at only 3 euros, lots of shops, although a lot selling the same things, lovely choice of restraunts and jewellery shops, excellent prices. Beach on the doorstep but you have to go down lots of steps (over 60 steps) but there is a ramp, nice beach, 7.50 euros per day for 2 sunbeds and a parasol. To sum up, this hotel is in a great location and does need upgrading but it is kept spotless and is value for money. You get what you pay for so if you want a cheap holiday go there but if you want bells and whistles pay a lot more and go somwhere else.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank LorraineScotland
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

i read some awful reviews dont listen to that this hotel it anything you would dream of expecially a friendly hotel the staff are very friendly. people that write up bad things about this hotel are WRONG! i went with my family and i meet a best friend this hotel has so many happy membories of mine go to this hotel and DO NOT LISTEN TO PEOPLE THAT SAY THIS HOTEL IS AWFUL THEY JUST DONT KNOW WHAT A HOILDAY IS!

Room Tip: all rooms are very clean!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I am staying in the hotel now, running my third day on studio apartment, no microwave in the kitchen unless you pay additional 25 euros per week, iron has to be paid additionally, even a clips for airdrier werent provided, which is very dissapoiting when hanging clothes in very windy balcony (of course laundry service is available, but very pricy. internet is NOT provided in the room, signal is very low, you have to go on the reception are where you pay 1 euro for 15 min, no privacy as i was looking forward to skype with my relatives to show them around and beautiful view. Regarding to food, i am self catering, best option as you can buy whatever you fancy, food shop is downstairs, very handy. Regarding to a swimming pool, sunbeds are free of charge. Overally i wouldnt have chosen this hotel again, i have basically expected better quality for the price i have paid for it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
#77 of 135 in Playa del Ingles
Apartamentos Amazonas
Apartamentos Amazonas
#60 of 135 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Corona Roja - Playa del Ingles? Share your experiences!