“Brilliant holiday”

Corona Roja - Playa del Ingles
Ranked #112 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
“Brilliant holiday”
Reviewed June 14, 2011

Just got back from the corona roja where me and a friend stayed all inclusive for a week. Had a fantastic time.
Room was small but clean, maid service 5 out of 7 days. Staff all really friendly. Food good, wasn't a great deal of choice but there was always something I liked on the menu. Slightly disappointed with breakfast, after a night out a proper full English would have been good!
Overall for £300 for the week per person it was fantastic, obviously not 5* but we didn't pay for 5*!!
Would recommend this to any one who wants a gd cheap all inclusive hotel especially young couples/ groups of friends. Nightlife was fantastic and about a 15 min walk from the hotel

• Stayed June 2011
2 Thank Sass568

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
swansea, wales
Reviewed June 12, 2011

spent 3 days in this "hole" and were eventually moved to the " greenfield hotel" which was 5* luxury compared to the"coronary" the food was edible but u were not given much choice, the drinks were good, but there was only one bar and half the time you cudnt find a staff member ,cos they were doing the restaurant as well. the staff were ok, but u could not blame them for being miserable cos of the amount of work they wer doing! as soon as we arrived we had to ask for another room, the one we were given was like a set from"prisoner cell block h"! it was supposed to have been an upgrade, but from what i do not know. worst of all was the swimming pool, absolute disgraceful condition, broken tiles everywer, a 2 inch crack running just above the waterline which was harbouring no end of fungus and lychen and wotever creature could live in it! The pool in the greenfield was a million times better with nice padding to put on your sunbed which were aplenty. can honestly say, that if you have booked the"coronary" please change your mind or you will be very disappointed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: dont even go there.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank degsy29

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Ingles hotels

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I thought that I should take the bad reviews with a pinch of salt and I went to the Corona Roja Apts with an open mind with my boyf , looking forward to a cheap and cheerful holiday. I wasn't expecting the Ritz., but I thought it would at least have been semi decent. How wrong was I? I had never had such a bad time in an accomodation EVER!!! I can't believe I've even had to give it a star. This hotel sucks!

Where to start? When we got there we discovered that while the hotel was close to the beach it was in the quiet area which isn't clearly advertised. At reception the man behind the desk didn't seem to know that we had prebooked and looked nervously around asking other reception staff's opinions and kept looking at our accomodation voucher all confused. That ordeal took us over 20 mins - then he decided he could get us a room after all! He made me sign something which I thought was to confirm the room booking, but, which I later found out was to keep my passport at reception overnight and he wouldn't give it back to me when I realised this. Deciding to make the best of it we went to our room- And it was not a 1bed Apt as we'd booked. - The bedroom was a series of curtains drawn into each other!!!! Why? That does not constitue a room.

The next day when we went to collect our key after being out, the blonde receptionist accused us of stealing the safe as we had not paid a deposit at check in (the male receptionist the day before gave us the safe key - but at no point told us there was a deposit and there was no deposit on the safe instructions) She started shouting, making fun of us and basically trying to embarass us in front of the other guests and threatened me with keeping my passport and not giving it back till she got 23 euros. Which she later changed to 13?!? Then she told us WE shouldn't be making enemies and causing trouble here....

The next day Reception also tried to make my boyf wait to collect our room key to prioritise checking in more guests 1st!!! They couldn't understand that we had already checked in and tried to put us in the back of the queue before my boyf snapped and demanded the key.

The maids were useless! The towels and bedding were never changed. The reason I know this is because one of the towels had a mark on it and when we put it in the bath all scrunched up each morning to say 'change towels' we kept seeing the same one all folded up in the bathroom shelf winking at us. The maid burst into our room one day and when I told her to come back in 5 mins she just barged past me like an elephant and started cleaning, and when I politely asked her for clean towels when I realise she was not going away, as I noticed the ones we had were dirty, she refused to change then which resulted in a 20 min arguement with her trying to sheild the maids trolley so I couldn't get fresh towels and her holding up a piece of paper with our room number saying over and over 'no towels' and swearing at me in spanish. That is until I wore her down when I showed her the rash I had caught off the dirty ones she had previously failed to change.

This was like a stay in Faulty Towers but not in the least bit funny.. The reception staff were rude and kept thinking all the guests were trying to do them out of money and spent their time charging deposits for the most random of things - like to use a phone you were already going to paying for the call anyway, etc.

In short DO NOT GO to this hotel. It wrecked my enjoyment of Gran Canaria and I never want to go back to that island again as a result of this crummy, awful hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Smashika
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2011

went to corona roja for 2 weeks and expected it to be much worse than it was, had a few problems with the room the beds were up agaist 2walls one at the head and 1 at the feet which made it hard for my bf to sleep and staff not willing to help we askd to move 3 times but they never moved us, pool area was clean and tidy, the sun usually moved away from the pool area about 4 in the afternoon, beach 2mins up the road good shops and places to eat near the hotel, rooms cleand mostly ever day would defo go back again for a cheap and cheerfull holiday.

Room Tip: ask for a room high up
  • Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank claire363
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2011

We recently went on an all-inclusive family holiday here and were kind of dreading it given the numerous bad reviews - they seemed to be either great or awful...

Very first impressions were good- the hotel looked fine when we pulled up, then the front desk staff... The 4of us, including my 3 and 5 year old sons, were standing there with 5 cases and the guy at the desk could not give a monkeys! It took more than 10 minutes to check in, basically because the slug of a man wandered around speaking to a friend answering the phone and basically ignoring us!!! First impressions were taking a very large turn for the worse.

Luckily, as we did not have to deal with this guy again (bar once - to follow...) we were pleasantly surprised at how good the rest of our stay was.

-Maid service seemed to be every weekday - we certainly got this 5 days out of the 7.
-Rooms were clean and pretty well maintained. We actually were put in a 2 bedroom apartment even though we paid for a 1 bedroom.
-Food was mixed: breakfast was a bit limited in choice; lunch was probably the worst, as it was pizza, chips, burgers & hot-dogs every day; tea was pretty decent to be honest - I had no complaints; drinks including local beer and wine was very good. There was always plenty of salad available and it was of a far better quality than I have seen abroad. There was also ice-cream available most of the day.
-The pool did look a bit rundown, but was certainly clean enough. Beware how deep it is though - 2.6 m, very close to the 1 m section! The baby pool was ideal for ours, and for us to cool down a bit.
-Location was great, as it was only a 5 minute jaunt from a great beach. Handy when the sun hid behind the hotel around 4.30.

The good old front desk guy was as much good as no good when my wife had to complain about a racket in one of the rooms late at night, even though they advertise a strict no-party regime. Although to be fair, the noise was not generally bad - possibly because of the time of the season.

One downside, again probably due to the time of year, was the lack of entertainment, though it seemed to be starting up on our last couple of days.

All in all, as long as you can handle the limited lunch, there is nothing wrong with an all-inclusive break at the Corona Roja. Even if you have to go out a couple of times for a change in food, the trip is such good value, it's difficult to complain too much...

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Rednap36
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Avoid at all costs if you have young children no entertainment apart from 3 old men singing stupid songs (they tried) food cold and always the same. Staff unhelpful, the room is the worst I have ever stayed in. A concentration camp would have made a better holiday and nothing is done when you make a request you are just totally ignored. My 7 yr old son fell in the restaurant which has an indoor swimming pool and sprained his arm which ruined his holiday and after returning home and brought this up with the travel agent they denied any complaints were placed which I can assure I placed daily and sometimes more than once. I wanted a relaxing holiday over the Christmas period which turned to the HOLIDAY FROM HELL.. All I experienced was stressssssssssssss and rude ppl.

Room Tip: if there was one I would liked to have seen it.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank paulsoi
bristol
Reviewed May 20, 2011

when we read the reviews we were all a bi wary, but we couldnt have been more wrong. the staff greeted us with smiles and werent strict on our noise level. would recommend for YOUNG people not family or boring old people. its a lively resort (or at least when we were there :P ) would love to go back there ASAP! amazing night life and nice beach only a few minutes walk!

Room Tip: higher up!
  • Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#10 of 135 in Playa del Ingles
Turbo Club
Turbo Club
#78 of 220 in Maspalomas

Been to Corona Roja - Playa del Ingles? Share your experiences!