Friends of ours stayed at Barbados last Christmas and we found a good deal with Travel Republic so thought we'd try it. We were on the first flight out of Gatwick so arrived in resort just before lunch. We hadn't booked a transfer but got the 91 bus from outside the Departures desk on the first floor of the airport for ���3.50; it drops you outside the Yumbo centre which is less than 5 minutes walk from the hotel.
As we were so early we asked if we could leave our bags but were pleasantly surprised to be told that an apartment was ready so we could check in there and then. A safe was available at ���18 for our 10-day stay plus a ���6 key deposit. Keep the key safe (no pun intended) as the charge for a replacement is ���180. The safes are located in reception which was a little annoying if you didn't want to take your safe key out with you.
The apartments are in 2 blocks next to each other. There are lifts to each in reception or you can walk from one to the other via bridges on levels 1-4. At either end of the floors are lifts and staircases down to the 2 swimming pools, you can also get out through a door to street level here (but you have to come back in via reception as the doors lock behind you).
The room was clean and spacious with a balcony, seating for 4 and a well-equipped kitchen with a microwave, kettle, toaster, 4-ring electric hob and a brand new fridge freezer. There were plenty of glasses, crockery and cutlery. The bathroom was clean as were the two twin bedrooms.
The apartments are cleaned 5 days a week (housekeeping staff have Thursday and Sunday off). I was a little amused by the fact that our bedding was changed on day 9 of our 10-day stay and not before then but the housekeeping staff were very friendly and efficient and the apartment was always clean. Whilst on the subject of staff the reception team were also all very friendly and welcoming, particularly Catarina (or Catalina?)
There's a bank with a cash machine immediately under the hotel, a well-stocked Spar next door and several restaurants in the vicinity, but I'll review those separately.
So far, so good but the reasons I haven't awarded a higher rating are:
I was reading a review on here that mentioned the lift not stopping on the 1st floor, then noticed that review was over a year old, and the lift still isn't fixed. Whilst you can get the lift up to the second floor and walk down the stairs, or get the lift in the neighbouring hotel and walk across a bridge, it shouldn't take over a year to fix a lift.
There's no air-conditioning. This was just about bearable in October, but I wouldn't like to stay here in the middle of summer.
Finally, the WiFi is truly abysmal. I was unable to connect for longer than 5-10 minutes at a time, and most of the time was cut off after 45-90 seconds. It then takes 15-20 attempts to reconnect. My friends' connections all dropped at exactly the same second so it's clearly a problem with the network. If the WiFi was free then I'd put up and shut up but at ���6 a day this is completely unacceptable, and incredibly frustrating. This happens morning, noon and night. The only thing that worked was losing access the second the period you had paid for expired: give it a wide berth!
All in all, if you feel the cold and aren't concerned about the WiFi then this is an amazing hotel. If these things worry you then you could still find a lot worse, and this is an above average budget hotel to which I'll definitely return.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The establishment has 91 apartments, all with two separate twin bedrooms (1-5 persons), lounge with sofa-bed. Fully equipped American kitchen and balconies overlooking the gardens.Located in the heart of Playa del Inglés, a few meters from shopping centres, restaurants, bars and discos. Thanks to its location, this complex offers the possibility to enjoy a great variety of services and activities taking place in Playa del Inglés. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Priceline, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Servatur Barbados Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Servatur Barbados Apartments Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Barbados Apartments Playa Del Ingles
- Barbados Apartments Hotel
- Servatur Barbados Apartments Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria