“Nice hotel, good service.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Occidental Margaritas
Ranked #22 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersBronze level
Maspalomas
“Nice hotel, good service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Splendid areas, good buffets, nice rooms. This was more than we hoped fore. Good quality for Playa del Ingles in Gran Canaria. Helpfull people, smiling in the reception when you ask for things and everything was in order. The evening buffet was very nice with all kinds of food. And the beverages without alcohol was included. Recomend half pension. Value for the money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank FrankMaspalomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
N IRELAND
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

just back from the barcelo margaritas playa del ingles we had a fantastic holiday the check in was speedy we went as a family 4 adults and 2 children and i had asked for adjoining rooms and got them room 520 and room 521 the entertainment was very good finished at 11 oclock so we werent up half the nite when you closed the door to the balcony the it was peaceful food was excellent i am quite a fussy eater so there was plenty of variety to choose from the staff were super especially to our 2 year old grand daughter the top pool is the best its quieter than the bottom pool the male life guard was brilliant and made everyone feel welcome water soft drinks ice cream were plentiful british sausages absolute heaven with h p sauce what more could you ask service at the show cooking counter could be slow due to the numbers coming in for meals but you didnt have to wait too long flumps and lollipops also overall a good variety sliding door into the bathroom and a lovely shower very refreshing room was cleaned daily and towels were changed as often as you wanted i would certainly return again there were workmen refurbishing quite a few rooms but you wouldnt have known they were there lcd on the wall wooden floor in the sleeping area free bus to the beach with leaving times and pick up times and the driver was always there near enough to the times on the card given at check in overall a brilliant hoilday

Room Tip: the rooms we had didnt get the sun till late in the day hence the rooms were not stifling hot but th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BILLYBOYO60
Wroclaw, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

hotel like hotel, but far away from sea/ocean. good food and helpfull staff , rooms are clean but litle old style. Two pools, all inclusive, Evenings activities varied and interesting. Bar service excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jar274812
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

we stayed there in february 2013, me the hubby 2 children age 10 and 4. when we arrived it was very busy, but did get seen to rather quick. we were given the superiour room was was great, a big lcd tv on the wall 2 double beds and 2 single beds. the bathroom was very big with a massive power shower. we were over looking the pool to ad to the bonus. from 10 in the morning till about 10 at night there was entertainment on, which even from the 6th floor was noisy, but i cant fault them at all. they try to involve you and kids with everthing, and will leave you alone if your not interested. We thought the food was very good to although very very busy at times and very hard to get a clean table. but i must say that the staff do work endlessly. overall i thought the hotel and the grounds were extremely clean, and they do try to please all the ime, but if its peace and quiet you want then there is another pool next to the self catering block. there wasnt a lot of pubs or entertainment next to this hotel, but there is a curtisy bus that takes you right to the beach.

Room Tip: go to breakfast early as it gets very very busy after 10
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

The kids club was on for what seemed like 12 hours a day and really loud. You couldn't get away from this much of the time.
The Thomas Cook holiday rep was really pushy trying to sell excursions....I had a letter put through my door stating SHE had made an appointment to see me so that my holiday could be EXCELLENT! I did not turn up for the appointment or call her and explain. My advice is DO NOT go to the Welcome Meeting.
The food was good but at breakfast it was Very Very busy sometimes, the staff really struggled and you could only just get a table. The food at the snack bar wasn't always very hot.
All inclusive wasn't really all inclusive as certain things which were essential were not included. In fact I was told I had to pay 1€ for some bottled water and a lot of cocktails, drinks, etc had to be paid for. They had adverts in the hotel stating you can "upgrade" to all inclusive gold, whatever that was!!
Cleaners were very good generally and cleaned every day if you wanted this.
The naturist sun deck was closed one day on the holiday and I don't know why.
Good location to the Yumbo Centre only 10 mins walk.
Adult entertainment in the evening was really poor and a bit of a joke.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank simonSanDiego
Ystad, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Two pools, all inclusive, time for a relaxt holiday with comfortable rooms. Close to the city and beach, Sahara sands drfting in the air, interesting and exciting. Food varied, rich and enjoyable. Evenings activities varied and interesting. Bar service excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lars E
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

My partner and I had a weeks all inclusive at Barcelo from 20th to 27th June 2013.
We asked for a lower to middle floor room......got the top floor, room 811..Asked for lower because I do not like heights. The room was very clean and well decorated, in fact the best I have ever been in. But the top floor, not so good for me and we were also next to the lift which is noisy! Our sheets were not changed all week which is not so good when the weather was as hot as it was. The Air Conditioning worked but not brilliant. The tv although a lovely new flat screen didnt work properly, we pretty much only got news channels and seeing the same news 24/7 was tedious!
The reception staff were ok, not over friendly but ok.
We had requested tea/coffee making facilities in our room and paid for them before we left the Uk and it took 7 times of me asking and we eventually got them the day before we left. Not enought tea or coffee on it but no problem because we took some from the all inclusive bar.
All Inclusive....not really in my opinion. You couldnt get a cup of tea or coffee before 7.15 am when the dining hall opened and it finished at 11pm.....Ok for me because I don't really do late nights, but no fun for people that do.
Food....Well if you like your food on the warm but definitely not the hot side its ok ish. We were offered sprouts, yes sprouts for breakfast, along with peas on another day and mixed vegetables on another. We were even offered deep fried battered brocollli...which I thought were mushrooms until I cut into them!! Quite amusing that one. The bacon was streaky and not the best, fried eggs either slimy or overcooked. The bread was always always lovely :-), butter and margarine both on offer along with different jams. Breakfast cereals always on offer tho don't expect Kelloggs! All in all you could get a breakfast. We tended to skip lunch because we were out and about. Dinner was served from 6.30pm. The food was much the same every night, I tried as much of a variety as possible, they do cook food while you are there, generally chicken, fish (Don't know what fish but my partner said it was nice), sometimes Liver, pork or beef. Chips were there every night. Deserts were ok, ice cream, cake and a very nice chocolate mousse. Just check where the microwave oven is if you prefer your dinner hot!!!
I hate to say this but the staff were so much nicer to Spanish speaking holiday makers and I (who can talk to just about anyone) felt we were pretty much ignored....Just remember this is only the way I found them to be!
The Pool where the entertainment was is tiny......how it will cope once the hotel is full I really don't know. The bar staff were not friendly at all. There is food on offer at both bars but I can't quite remember what the times were for food. There was chips, hamburgers, hotdogs, cheese and ham toasties, veal in gravy and bread rolls there, great for kids who bit and bob during the day.
The 'quiet' pool was much nicer and obviously quieter than the other one had a bar serving the same food and drinks as the other but unfortunately closed at 6pm....would have been better if it had stayed open until 11pm for people that want to get away from the constant noise of the entertainment.
Now down to the Entertainment. Both my partner and I have children but ours are all grown up so we didnt need the entertainment......Saying that I did realise how fantastic they were with kids.....yes fantastic! Kids flocked to them because they were so friendly, always with smiles and seemed to make all the kids feel special.
The evening entertainment was ok, personally I don't know how those guys ahd the energy....I was shattered just watching them. If they had got the quiet pool bar open I would have rather been up there for a peaceful evening but hey thats just what I would like.
Omg I wonder if anyone is still reading this lol.
Right now lets rattle on some more about outside the Hotel. There is a free bus to and from the beach....we never caught it lol. A walk away is the shopping precinct, worth a walk with lots of shops, market stalls and bars.....can't say the prices are any better than the UK tho.
We asked at reception about buses and just a walk away and for a few quid we went to a gorgeous little place called Mogan.....well worth a visit for its quaint streets and harbour. You get off the bus where it terminates (after some pretty scary roads......sheer drops were pretty if you had the bottle to sit on that side of the bus!!!) We were thirsty when we got off and stopped at the first cafe we saw, it was called the sun terrace if i remember rightly, the guy was friendly and made a lovely coffee, try it because he is cheaper than right on the quayside....we liked it that much we went back for a yummy ham and cheese toasty, a litre of Sangria and another coffee, we were there quite some time and he didnt seem bothered at all :-).
There is a trip nicknamed the Blanket trip.....They try to sell you Matresses....yes you read right!! We didnt buy anything and the guide called Tony, a cockney! He was sooooo corny and funny you had to love him. After they tried to sell us the mattresses we were taken to a pretty little village which Tony walked us round chatting to us about it, we had an hour to ourselves too then on to the houses that were built into the Hills......A meal was on offer which cost 7 euro (well worth it) and you could go into one of the houses, very nice, not quite the caves I was expecting!! All in all it was a fantastic trip so go for it.
We went to quite a few places by bus which was great, better than sitting around a hotel pool all day. Congratulations on getting to the end of my waffling and I hope you enjoy your holiday if you choose to take it. Personally with the sheer ammount of Spar shops in Playa del Ingles area I would go Self catering next time; Whoops forgot to mention just how comfortable the beds are.....best ever :-)

Room Tip: Pretty much all of the rooms face the pool and gardens! Don't bother asking....you don't get...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bohemia Suites & Spa
Bohemia Suites & Spa
#2 of 135 in Playa del Ingles
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,191 reviews

Been to Occidental Margaritas? Share your experiences!