“I was plonked in the in the Barcelo Margaritas suites next door to the main hotel, tired, dated and certainly not four star.”

Occidental Margaritas
Ranked #20 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 12, 2013

After staying at the Barcelo Margaritas previously I chose to stay at the hotel. Unfortunately unknown to me when I booked it via Hotels.com I was downgraded to a block next door called the Barcelo Margaritas Suites. Now on paper these sound lovely with a little living area, a little kitchenette, a separate bedroom all set in lovely gardens. Sadly in reality the block was tired, in need of a little love and attention. On the day of arrival the taxi dropped us at the main hotel, after waiting an excruciating long time we were advised we were not in the main hotel and therefore had to carry our luggage to another reception which had a separate entrance. This entrance had a buzzer which we buzzed and buzzed until someone finally let us in. Reception were very efficient and we were issued our room keys. We were then advised breakfast and lunch was in the main hotel, not the block we were in. Access was via a path that took you through the gardens through lots of steps via a sun deck down a spiral staircase past the pool and into the main building. Not great if you are a little infirm. My half board option had great late finishing times for breakfast and evening meal the latter being 22:30. We normally headed over at around 21:30 but we really struggled finding a clear table and half the food counters were all closed with the remaining ones a tussle to get anywhere near the food. I don't think I have been there for one evening when there was anything ready from the grill. They seem to reduce the staff down considerably for this later shift which begs the question why bother as trying to find a waiter is like trying to find water in the desert.

The suites themselves have annoying slow lifts and dark corridors. Inside the rooms have been painted and look freshish but attention to detail is seriously lacking. Little bits like the curtain rail hanging down and the hair dryer hanging off the wall is not something I expect from a four star nor is a shower head plonked over an old fashion bath unlike the main hotel that has walk in facilities. As I look around, I know this is only the feel if the room but they obviously upgraded these facilities at some point but could not even be bothered to match the woods with doors, walls and ceiling all different. Luckily as its May the air con wasn't on the top of our list of requirements which is a good job, three settings with the slow speed only working giving no benefit at all. Night safe, which is charged for, forget a nice digital pin and behold a nice big key waiting to be lost. My last moan is the sofa bed smells of urine, luckily we were there to enjoy the outside.

This hotel seems to cater mainly for all inclusive, which we don't need, with no lunch menu at this pool side bar and a 500ml bottle of water €3 compared to 2 litres in the supermarket €0.80, there's a mark up and then there's daylight robbery.

I must say a few plus points. The size of the room was great, the balcony was fantastic over looking wonderful gardens. Storage space was great, beds very comfy and the pool never overcrowded. It was also nice to have the fridge too.

I really feel let down by brands I trust, Hotels.com and Barcelo as I feel I seriously did not get the four star hotel I booked

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank David E

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Broughton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Barceló Margaritas is situated a few minutes walk to shops, restaurants and bars. The beach is a fair walk away, over half an hour, gentle stroll, but there is a free minibus at regular intervals for those who wish to go to the beach.

The room was comfortable,although a bit shabby and in need of updating. We were offered a more modern room for additional payment, but we didn't feel it was worth the extra. The air conditioning was not very good, it did cool the room down a bit on one side of the bed on the other, side you were freezing as it seemed to blow right on you, also, I doubt it would keep you cool in very hot weather. There was no bottled water in the room or tea and coffee making facilities, which I thought was out of order when we have paid for all inclusive- we could have had tea and coffee if we had paid for the upgraded room, what a liberty I thought!

The all inclusive restaurant offered a fairly good selection of food, and we enjoyed most of it - although there was some strange combinations such as the roast pork one evening, but no gravy or vegetables - apart from vegetable stew! The restaurant staff were very efficient, hard working and polite, but I think they could have tried to smile a bit and show a bit of humour and banter now and again, I think this really makes a difference.

The pool area was very clean and there was plenty of sun beds, but the hotel was not full, so I think there might not be enough sun beds during peak times. The animation team were very friendly, but we found them too loud and pushy trying to get everyone involved in activities - pool aerobics is not my thing! But, they are great for kids, and they were very good at keeping the children entertained. They put on a good show every evening, and have some very talented dancers. However, if you don't want the noise during the day, there is another quiet pool at the other side of the hotel, but its quite a walk up and down steps, so disabled guests might find it difficult - perhaps they should consider moving the animation team to the other side of the hotel instead of the side where the restaurant is??

With regards to facilities, there is a shop that sells clothes, small electrical goods, sun lotion, shampoo, snacks, drinks etc.at reasonable prices A hairdresser, gym, and lifts to all floors,2 pools with snack bars with a good selection of drinks and snacks. Nightclub, WIFI is available at an extra charge, but wasn't much use in the room as the signal was not good enough, so I wouldn't bother with it again. A safe is also available at an extra cost. Beach towels are available for a deposit and 2 euros each time you want a change.

Overall, we had a nice pleasant holiday, and we would use this hotel again, but only if the price was right.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lindas0759
durham
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to this hotel in april 2013, the place is very big and has two gorgeous pools, one a quiet, the all inclusive lasts till 11pm. the entertainment staff were fab and really friendly. it is in a great spot, which isn't very far from the yumbo centre, which has great bars and restaurants. We stayed in a superior room overlooking the pool and on a evening at 6pm the sun beams down on the balcony. ask for a sunny room on the 7th floor, they are the best. the food was excellent with something for everyone, even if your parky. you help yourself to wine, beers and soft drinks. Overall I would definitely go back to this hotel, there is something for everyone.

Room Tip: ask for a high floor overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pritchardshelley
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2013

After reading previous reviews before going I was a little worried, I should not have taken any notice, we had one of the superior rooms and it was exactly that, fantastic walk in shower, extremely clean and modern with a large balcony that had the sun on it well past 7pm, reception staff extremely helpful and friendly, food extremely good with plenty of choice, the whole hotel complex extremely clean, animation staff friendly and extremely good at their job. We would definately go there again, just not with Thomas Cook the rep we had was less than able!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank angelfalls43
yorkshire
Reviewed May 7, 2013

we went to this hotel in march the rooms were lovely and clean and staff were very friendly the food was nice and there was plenty to choose from the hotel as a free bus to the beach which is very useful the only let down was the entertainment at night which wasn't all that good

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank elaine04
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We have just got back from a lovely week at this hotel. We had such a relaxing and wonderful time! I've only scored the room a 4 as unfortunately we didn't get one of the renovated rooms (the majority of rooms have been ungraded and I was told by other guests that they are very nice). I've also given the location a 4 only because it was about 20 minutes walk from the beach, but that said, there is a free bus or a taxi will cost you no more than €3.70. Despite not being too close to the beach, there are still loads of restaurants, bars, shops etc right on your doorstep.

Everything else scores an easy 5. Check in was really easy and fast. The hotel is lovely and very clean. The grounds are so beautifully maintained that it makes it an absolute pleasure relaxing by the pool. The facilities are brilliant, everything looks modern and fresh. Not one staff member ignored us, they always stop to say "good morning" etc. all very friendly and happy to help. They are constantly working also, you never see a staff member with their hands in their pockets, slobbing about. There are two pool areas to choose from. The main pool is more for families and is where the evening entertainment goes on. The entertainment staff are very sociable and work relentlessly to make sure all the kids are having a great time. There are also lots of activities going on throughout the day which they organise. The second pool area is where we spent all our time. Very peaceful, no music, so can listen to your own iPod and not be disturbed by noisy kids etc. There is a very big modern beach hut/bar there with lovely dining furniture, and a modern bar. Their are shaded 4poster beds to hire for €10 with waiter service, or €25 with waiter service and a bottle of Cava and fruit basket. There is pool side snacks in both areas which again is really good with a good selection.

The all inclusive food is fantastic. So much to choose from and there is a chef cooking fresh food for each meal. There was always a fish and a meat to choose from cooked fresh, and then lots of other meats and fish dishes on the buffet. The all inclusive drinks are help yourself, again with a very good selection of drinks. There are menus for non all inclusive guests at the staffed bars but most things are half price for all inclusive guests, and there are a selection of free cocktails also for all inclusive guests.

If you want a fantastic relaxing holiday, with friendly, pleasant, like minded people, great service and value for money then this is the place for you. We have never been the same place twice, but we would definitely go back, and definitely use Barceló again. We didn't meet anyone in the hotel with a bad word to say about their holiday.

Great time!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank LauraJoeBaileythedog
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed here once before. We like the hotel. Rooms nice, but ...sockets insuffienct and wrongly placed, Wifi slow, or non-existent with a price. Housekeeping - well, Spanish, but pleasant. Tried all inclusively. Don't. Allthough breakfast, lunch and dinner is diverse, you would not like it. You feel like a downgraded customer. All inclusive - hmmmmmmm. Paying - yes ........ I will recommend the bar in the hotel. Great service, great drinks, no attidue - either all inclusive or not. Will stay again, we like the location, rooms, front desk so and so, but all inclusive - not herre.

Room Tip: View to sea.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Neptuno Gran Canaria
Hotel Neptuno Gran Canaria
#11 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,205 reviews

Been to Occidental Margaritas? Share your experiences!