“Best bike rental company”

Free Motion Bikecenter
More attraction details
Owner description: Free Motion is the biggest full-service Bikecenter on the Canary Islands. With over 1500 new Cannondale, Specialized, Pinarello, BH and Haibike Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Urban- and E-Bikes every year over 20.000 Customers from all over Europe experience perfect biking 365 days a year. Especially in the winter with temperatures over 20 degrees and plenty of sunshine. Our international staff guarantees best service & know how around renting, tours, bike repair and equipment. All bikes are professionally serviced and not older than a year. In nine shops you can find a big variety of equipment from prestigious brands like Assos, Mavic, Continental, Evoc, Giro, Fabric and more.
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Best bike rental company”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Gran Canaria is ideal place for cycling, and Free Motion provides you all needed for it.
It is the largest bike rental on the island, which has two branches in Maspalomas (Meloneras, Playa del Ingles) and one representative office in Puerto de Mogan. You can rent any bike from Cannondale in the shop. Also you can leave your rented bike at night in their office.
Btw, it is possible to transport bicycles by Global's bus.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank imappendix

• Polish first
Oslo, Norway
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“nice day out and great bikes!”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just went there to pick a road bike closer to the end of vacation. Quite impressive selection of bikes for everybody, from occasional easy-rider to a pro. All bikes look very well maintained and you can also get pedals that you want and all the necessary accessories.

I also joined a tour to Santa-Lucia and San-Bartolome on one day, guided buy Victor. He is an amazing rider, not looking tired at all after several hours in the saddle and couple of thousand meters of elevation gain) He also took care of cyclist in a group who fell behind on the climbs, saying the others to wait at certain places.

Visited May 2013
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Fun and fabulous views!”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our time on this easy bike excursion with my husband. We pre-booked this trip online and received email confirmation with lots of information. We were collected by minibus from our hotel and taken to the Free Motion shop. Pre-payment had not been required (makes a nice change!) so, once my husband had settled up, we were carefully fitted with our helmets, given a bottle of water and awaited our departure while our bikes were loaded onto a trailer behind another minibus.

There were 6 of us on the trip and our guide, Martin, translated his commentary very expertly as we wound our way up the hillsides and mountains for 30-40 minutes. Everything was explained clearly to us in advance and we thought the whole set up was very professional - all equipment in good condition etc.

We were dropped at a hillside cafe/bar where we had a toilet stop and could buy a coffee or beer if we chose and refilled out water bottles. Martin spent some time explaining the bikes to us and a few road rules - unnecessary for us perhaps, but a good idea. We soon set off, pretty much freewheeling down the quiet road and taking in the amazing views. The minibus followed slowly behind us. Martin made periodic stops to explain the flora and fauna of the area or point out a particular point of interest in our panoramic vision. His enthusiasm was infectious and his knowledge excellent. The scenery was stunning, if heart-stopping in places for vertigo sufferers like me! A stop for lunch found us at a stall set up by a local farmer, who offered us nuts, cheese, oranges and a tot of 'honey rum' plus the opportunity to buy everything from fruit, preserves, cheeses and rum. Not sure if the prices were that competitive, but it was a picturesque bit of fun. Martin produced our lunch of large filled rolls (we'd ordered our fillings at the shop and I think he picked these up at the cafe/bar). They were a great tummy filler as even cycling downhill takes energy.

Our journey downhill continued with hands getting more and more achey from holding onto the brakes. The hairpin bends required concentration but the views were magnificent. We only met the occasional car or few cyclists climbing the steep road (no, I won't be doing a more challenging ride!!) and it was an exhilarating experience. Once on the flat, we made the 9km trip down to Puerto Mogan, where Martin pointed out the charm of this lovely village on a short tour on foot. Our bikes were loaded back onto the bus and we were taken back to our various hotels.

This company offers tours of various levels, so choose wisely. The easy tour that we did was definitely just that, though some bike confidence would still be good. The more challenging rides would probably be too much for me (I'm a town cyclist mainly) but my husband would definitely have been keen to try one of the mountain bike tours. There are even tours on electric bikes!!

We enjoyed this trip very much and would definitely recommend Martin and Free Motion for a great way to see inland Gran Canaria at first hand.

Visited April 2013
Oslo, Norway
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“awkward service, great bikes”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We hired two road bikes (for 6 days) and the bikes were great and very well maintained. No complaints at all.

However, getting them was not exactly fun: We went there one evening to ask if we could rent two bikes and pick them up the next day. It took about half an hour for them to find out if they had anything available and then we were asked not to come too early in the morning as they´d be too busy to give us the bikes. I bought new cycling shoes on this evening - and asked them to fit the bike with the corresponding pedals.

Next "morning" (around 11) we arrive. Bikes are there. Takes them 20 minutes to find my shoes, and I notice that the pedals are not for my shoes. Then I ask someone to adjust the saddle for me and I´m told, that well, yes, it can be done but it´s really difficult because of the way the screws work (?!) and I should make sure that the height is not correct first (which it obviously isn´t if my toes cannot get anywhere near the ground unless I jump off the saddle). Then we had to find someone to give us helmets, then we had to remind someone else that we had already paid for lights etc. All in all picking up the bikes took about 2 hours - mostly because whoever was "helping" showed not to be interested at all, kept on wandering off, chatting with colleagues, doing something else.

Besides, you better take some German classes before going there. My partner hadn´t and found it even more difficult to get some attention.

Anyway: Once you´ve endured the "service" you´ll enjoy having great bikes and exploring the windy roads is a lot of fun!

When we brought the bikes back, they were actually nice and friendly. Still, chaotic and not very interested in anything: I forgot to return my helmet and they didn´t notice, so I had to come back again when I had discovered I still had it.

Visited April 2013
NJ
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Very Easy - Great Views”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

In February 2013, my husband and I visited Gran Canaria for a week. We decided to book an "Easy Ride" with Free Motion. We do bike tours everywhere we travel in Europe because they are always so fun and informative. We were a little bit surprised at first, because it felt like we were on the bus for over an hour. From the Free Motion home station, you jump on a coach bus with the bikes on the back. You then travel all the way up the mountain, up VERY curvy roads. The bus driver was going very fast, which was fun but scary at some points. We were on a tour with a person who became VERY sick after being on the bus -- we actually had to stop twice so she could get off and puke. But c'est la vie.

Martin - our tour guide - was very friendly and informative. He gave great information. Our tour was in 3-4 different languages. I am unsure if they give single language tours, so if you are not okay with having everything translated in a few languages, do not pick this tour. This did not bother me.

Once at the top of the mountain, you jump on your bike and ride mostly downhill. There were a few spots where you had to ride slightly uphill, however, Martin will let you know when those spots are coming up and if you are not up for the challenge, then you can just ride on the bus (which follows the tour group all the way downhill -- for those who are faint of heart/will).

Once you 3/4 of ride complete, there is a lunch break. It is nice because there is a vendor who gives samples of cheese, nuts, and fruit. We enjoyed it so much, we purchased 1 kilo of cheese and some oranges. The items here are the same price as the airport. We just put our purchase on the bus, which followed us all the way down to our ending location.

At the end of our bike tour, we jump back on the bus and make a pit-stop at Puerto Mogan, which is a very lovely town.

Water is continuously provided. I would recommend eating before you start this tour or you will be hungry (but I am always hungry).

Great views throughout the entire tour.

Visited February 2013