“Real vacation”

Ranked #6 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Europe
“Real vacation”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Very reluctant I agreed to this vacation. Holiday resorts are just not my cup of tea. And I was wrong. The hotel is a. a building with apartments and b. bungalows. The bungalows located in the "garden" with well kept lawns, palmtrees and bushes. We had a 2-bedroom bungalow with a patio and a "sun-deck" on the roof. At our disposal were two pools, not big but big enough to make swimming possible.
We had a half-board accomodation and had then the possibility to sample the restaurant a breakfast and dinner. The "petite chef" cared for the hot part, like fried eggs, sausages, bacon, scambled eggs etc, at the breakfast which meant that these item were almost as made to order. Various kinds of youghurt, cereals, juices, bread and a variety of ham, cheese and greens for your choice of breakfast. As for the dinner we opted for the buffet and were not disapointed a a single time. Most impressive was the chef fixing the wok of your choice (you fick the ingredients yourself) while you waited (or picked from the other dishes). And the the was this really good selection of sweets.
As for location you this hotel is close to everything (now if you´re only there to keep your feets in the ocean it´s a bit off) just a mile from the beach, and the desert and two miles from the Maspalomas beach. If you don´t want to walk (can be a good idea considering beakfast and dinner) there are taxis and buses, both very cheap, just outside the hotel.
As each unit has a small kitchen you can also provide for your meals on your own. In the building there is a small convinience store cartering for your basic needs. In the neighborhood there are are lots of stores and restaurants so basicly you can stay on the hotel grounds without having to go inte complicated excursions to find additional food (available int the restaurant is also a lunch restaurant, but we did not try this).
And it goes without saying: there´s a bar at the pool.
Gained a slight tan and two pounds.

Room Tip: Any bungalow except those adjacent to the pool (if you want a quiet vacation).
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank FontanaACS
Barbacan_direccion, Director General at Sol Barbacan Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear FontanaACS,

I would like to thank you for your description about our facilities and restaurant and location. We hope you visit as soon again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This was a week away so that we could relax,the hotel was the best place to do this,the room was a treat to live in for the week that we were there the food was excellent and the staff very friendly
Arrived in time for the carnival it was a treat to watch.the costumes that everyone were a real eye opener.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear John N H,

Thank you very much for your excellent comment. We hope you visit us soon again.

Northampton
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My partner and I had a very pleasant stay here with no cause for complaint whatsoever. We were fortunate to have a very nice room with a large terrace which enjoyed sun all day. Breakfast is excellent, plenty of choice with healthy options, all very fresh.We found the staff helpful and friendly. Cannot comment on dinner as we ate out as we prefer a stroll to find a restaurant we fancy, and there are plenty within walking distance.
There was a street carnival on the Saturday night.During the day the hotel taped off the access into the hotel for guests only, with security provided.This was a very good move as the streets were flilthy next morning, smashed bottles everywhere, and no doubt the hotel would have been invaded by the drunken yobs. The only time our sleep was disturbed was that night with emergency sirens going all night.That apart, we had a great week and will definitely return. The beach is an easy 15 min walk downhill, 20mins back up the hill, but well worth the walk as the beach is golden sand with fabulous dunes. On top of that the sun shone everyday, bliss.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sunny terrace
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia_S144_13
Barbacan_direccion, Director General at Sol Barbacan Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Dear Patricia_S144_13,

I would like to thank you for your remark. I am very glad to know that in general your stay was so pleasant. You stayed during the Carnival, it is really big event, and we do our best to minimize the inconveniences for our clients and they can enjoy it.
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Spent 11 days here.

Breakfast: very good, but if you plan to eat healthy: forget it. The salad bar was very sad, and no whole grain bread (unless you enjoy german wet rhye bread).

Location: close to the Yumbo, but a 15 min walk to the beach. But taxis are only 3€ anywhere within Playa del Ingles.

Rooms: we first got a room on the 1st floor in the narrow part of this U-shaped hotel. Very small ground level terrace with no sun. We complained, and two days later we were moved up two floors, but still in the narrow part of the U. But here the size of both the terrace and living room was 50% bigger than on the first floor.

BEWARE: THe rooms in narrow end of this U-shaped hotel have bedrooms facing a noisy road. There wasnever a moment of quiet in the night.

BEDS: awful and noisy. Two "hospital"-beds on wheels (!) pushed together. Not exactly fit for a honeymoon...

Snack bar: tried it once, but the fried chicken was like rubber so we sent it back to the chef and never ate there again. Plenty of restaurants nearby.

Bungalows: some friends of ours stayed in one of the bungalows. These were really nice. Not too big living room, but a roof terrace and ground terrace. Really nice. If we go back here, we will definately ask for one of these.

Wifi: about 22€ for 12 days. Worked ok in our room, but our friends in the bungalow had poor connection with their wifi.

Staff: in general ok, but no more than one could expect in a 4 star hotel.

In general we were satisfied, but we might choose another hotel closer to the beach next time. But Im sure you can do very much worse than this hotel in pdi.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Anderv7
Barbacan_direccion, Director General at Sol Barbacan Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear Anderv7,

Thanks for your remarks, we will study them very carefully. We are very sorry for your perception of your room and we hope that visit us again and stay in one of our bungalows.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed for 1 week in February at Sol Barbacan in one of the bungalows. First issue happened on check-in. My request for a bungalow in the middle of the resort (quiet area) was ignored and we were put into one right on the main road with buses, cars, motorbikes zooming past all day & night. We asked to be changed, got messed around by Alexandro who told me I should have requested it. When I told him I had and it was on my accommodation voucher, he told me it was my fault as I had booked the room via Low Cost Holidays and they can't read the 'special requests' area on the booking form. I politely explained that it was not my fault they don't have proper processes in place with their booking agents and if my room wasn't changed we would stay elsewhere for the week. We got a call a couple of hours later that we could move into a quiet bungalow which we were delighted with. So after that hiccup, we relaxed and enjoyed our stay.

The bungalows truly are lovely, a bit small for 4-6 adults but for a family of 3-4 they are perfect. Toiletries and towels never get replenished unless you specifically ask but the maids are absolutely lovely - in fact, they are the nicest staff in the whole resort! The kitchen's are well equipped and have most of everything you need for a holiday.

The pool areas are good, lifeguards aren't very friendly and there is this strange rule that you can only replace your pool towels up to 1pm each day and only once a day! I've stayed in many hotels and resorts and never heard of such a pointless rule. The guards will happily watch you sit in the wind with your toddler shivering in a dripping wet towel despite them only have to open the cupboard and replace your towel. I found that to be annoying and ended up doing what most other guests do... ask the maids for extra towels and use them down at the pool - see what I mean, the rule is pointless as bath towels end up being used instead.

The restaurant serves a fantastic breakfast and is very good value, only 22 euros for 2 adults & 1 toddler and there is a large array of food and it is fresh - they even provide gluten free bread. We ate lunch a couple of times and dinner one night which we were largely disappointed with. The food is bland and the entrecote was chewy from being a very cheap cut of meat. The service was wonderful however.

Reception (with the exception of Betty) are grumpy, unhelpful and in general didn't really try to help in anyway whatsoever. No smiles at all and you are made to feel they are doing you a favour by serving you. Reception is probably the weakest point of the entire resort. Betty was the only one who smiled and was helpful.

Wifi - I will agree with the vast majority of reviewers here and say it's really poor. To get a connection in your room is near impossible. Also be aware when you buy a code at 20 euros for 7 days that only allows you to use it on 1 device. So we bought the first one, loaded it on my Ipad and when my husband tried to use the code for the laptop to do some work, only then did reception tell us that you need to buy one code per device... so Wifi ended up costing us 40 euros for a really bad connection that was barely usable! Had we known when we bought the first one, we would not have bothered using the Ipad. I am not sure if the resort really consider Wifi to be an issue as most of the guests are older so I can't imagine it being a big problem for them.

The location is good as it's away from the main part of Playa Del Ingles and about a 15 minute walk to the beachfront. Be aware however, the walk back is uphill so for elderly or disabled people it could be difficult. We went to the beach once and stayed the rest of the time in the resort as it had everything we needed from pools, private terrace, to grassy areas for our toddler to play on, playground etc. It is also located near Yumbo which is a shopping centre with loads of restaurants. If you are after a good supermarket, there is a Dino Supermarket a few minutes down the road from Yumbo on Avenue De Alemania - the reason I mention this is they have a fresh meat and deli counter - the supermarkets in Yumbo sell a very small range of processed packaged meat only so it's well worth going to the larger one down the road.

Sol Barbacan is a really nice resort and with a few tweaks (mainly service related) it could really be a fantastic resort. It is child friendly so I would probably recommend it to friends & family and if I visit Gran Canaria again, I would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: If you stay in a bungalow, ask them not to put you in rooms 1-11 as these are on the main road and t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Him&I
Dear Him&I,

I would like to thank you for using part of your time to write this remark, which will be very useful for us. We will improve interfaces with online agencies to avoid problems like the one you had with your request.

I will personally study very carefully your other remarks, like the change of towels, wifi, etc.

I hope that next time you visit Gran Canaria, you choose us again.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed a week just before Christmas in this 4-star hotel. The bungalow we stayed in was very stylishly decorated. 2 excellent bathrooms and 2 nice bedrooms. Good kitchen facilities and a nice combined dining and living room. Friendly reception and restaurant service.

Room Tip: If staying in one of the bungalows choose one that is not facing the road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mptranslations
Barbacan_direccion, Director General at Sol Barbacan Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Dear mptranslations,

We are very proud of our bungalows, probably one of the best of the area, and we are very happy to know that you like it too. We hope you visit us again.

Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at sol barbacan 22-29 December 2012.  Check in easy. Allocated room 169 but asked to go on waiting list for sunny side and was moved next morning at 10.30am. Rm 165 was better, more spacious and had shower and a bath (room 169 only had shower) so was very happy to get an apt with a bath and sunshine!

Apt very well equipped with everything's one needs inc kettle toaster microwave combi, hairdryer, corkscrew, pans, glasses, teapot, cutlery and sharp knIves, collander, etc.  They even supplIed us wIth tea towels and we wanted for nothIng.

WiFi cost 20 euros for the week but was a little intermittent at fIrst but got better after the fIrst day.

Bathroom water remained hot and easy to control temp with good supply.

Cleaning was good and staff were affable and cheerful and even gave us a dish cloth and little glass of washing up liquid which was a nice thought.

Rooms have terraces or balconIes with table, chairs, sun beds and clothes airer.  Our room number 165 was on the ground floor with spacious terrace and had sunshine all afternoon.

The pool was well maintained, cleaned daily and beds were not saved at all.  There were plenty of beds available and no need to grab one at the crack of dawn which isn't allowed anyway.

There was good all round entertainment to keep everyone happy and a children's club, happy hour, bIngo, etc.  We didn't dine in the restaurant in the hotel apart from havIng breakfast one mornIng but It was nIce. Nor dId we go and see any of the entertainment in the evening so I can't really comment but there was flamenco one evening and a parrot show.

There is a cheap large supermarket in san Fernando but Spa shop offers good value if one doesn't want to go out of the way and there are lots of those around the place.

Weather: don't hesitate to book a winter holiday here. The weather was fabulous whIlst we were here wIth one slIghtly cloudy mornIng only and around 24 degs most days with plenty of sunshine.

If you want to dine somewhere special on Xmas Eve/Day. It pays to book ahead and I recommend Hotel Residencia in Costa Melonares, 10 mins by taxi and Costs about 5 Euros to get there.  This is a 5 star hotel so it is more expensive but we felt it was worth it.

On Christmas day at Sol Barbacan, they gave us a little parcel of oranges, some little chocolates, etc., which was a nice touch.  The entertainment came out to the pool area with Santa which everyone enjoyed and then there was a free cocktail by the pool.

The Yumbo centre is very close and the beach isn't all that far.  Perhaps a ten to 15 min walk to Playa del Ingles.

You can get the bus to take you to Peurto De Mogan, a pretty, albeit touristy fishing port and village which I'd also recommend.  You can also get the bus to other resorts and also to Las Palmas.

I really liked this hotel and I have been to GC many times and stayed at many places and felt this was the best to date so I don't hesitate in recommending it.  It was a very relaxing break and just what we wanted.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank nicksibubs
Dear nicksibubs,

Thank you very much for considering us as the best hotel you have stayed in Gran Canaria and for recommending us to other clients. Remarks as yours motivates us to work in the same line and improve.

Kind regarsd