We had seen this hotel previously and decided to try it out on our next visit to Gran Canaria because of it's location and we weren't disappointed. The view from our balcony looked out over the hotel terrace, the pool and, albeit in the distance, the dunes and ocean. The room itself was spacious, some would say dated but I would call 'Spanish'. The walls are a bit thin and the maids pounding along the tiled corridor outside the door with their carts, early in the morning took some getting used to! The welcoming basket of fruit and Cava were a nice gesture although the cost of 16 euros/week for the room safe probably recouped the cost of both. The bathroom was again spacious with everything necessary although the shower curtain with bath is no substitute for a shower cubicle and I didn't care for the shower gel dispenser at all. The shower itself however, was great and the towels were always of very good quality, unlike some hotels where they are a little 'thin'!
The area around both pools was a little crowded and the inevitable 'reserving' of sunbeds from the break of dawn did not help! The poolside bar/restaurant provided very good lunchtime meals at a reasonable price. The meals in the restaurant were 'mixed' and the system of having two 'sittings' was a bit limiting. Although there was no problem in getting our choice of the later sitting. there was inevitable crowding at the serveries. Breakfasts were very good but although there were plenty of choices at dinner, it all became a bit 'samey'. There was a welcome break from the main restaurant in the 'oasis' of the hotel's new Krystal restaurant - unfortunately, limited to one visit per week's stay. With welcome waiter service and excellent food we were amazed more guests did not take advantage of it. The evening entertainment was again mixed and often not good enough to distract from other attractions. Wi-fi available only in the lobby was a little disappointing and maybe this hotel could provide it in the bedrooms as they do in most of the other Riu hotels.
Overall, this hotel is in an excellent location with tranquil ambience at a good price. The staff are extremely friendly, professional and accommodating providing great, prompt service and we would happily stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Playa del Ingles. Next to the Maspalomas sand dunes. 4-Storey building. Colonial-style architecture. 28,000 M2 of subtropical gardens. 800 M from the beach. 2 Km from the city centre. 500 M from various shops. 30 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with RIU Hotels and Resorts, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Maspalomas Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria