A grand 80's style hotel in a very prominent position sticking out into the fantastic sand dunes of Maspalomas. Unfortunately the surrounding proerties are not in the same class. The majority of clientele are over 50 or same sex couples predominantly male.
Public areas 8/10 - An older hotel but very posh and well maintained. Massive pool and sunbathing area and loads of sunbeds. Nice reception area and bar/entertainment room. Quality of the evening shows was variable from average to good. Free Wi-Fi in reception.
Bedrooms 8/10 - Well maintained, clean and tidy with comfy bed and arm chair as well. Nice sunbeds on a large balcony. Booked a sea view and had a great view looking over the sand dunes to the distant sea. Could sunbath on the balcony from 2pm onwards
Bathroom 7/10 - A reasonable size, shower over bath and a single hand basin. Soft clean towels.
Restaurant 10/10 - Free seating for breakfast and the same allocated table for evening meal. Great quality and service, buffet or table service. People dressed up for dinner, smart casual to posh, and the staff was excellent. Breakfast can be eaten on the terrace.
Staff 9/10 - Excellent all round. Reception and dining room staff very friendly and helpful, would take a lot of beating
Resort 6/10 - This hotel is in Playa del Ingles, not Maspalomas, a featureless concrete mass of apartments and hotels built during the boom in the 70,s and 80's. No proper centre just "commercial centres" well past their best in my opinion. This hotel probably has the best location in the resort surrounded by the fantastic dunes of Maspalomas. The sea is about 20 minutes hard walking over the dunes and Maspalomas/Melonaros is a boring 40 minute walk away but a much nicer area so worth the walk. Nowhere much of interest to walk to so stuck to hotel mainly.
Just an observation - There were a lot of single men with back packs walking through the hotel grounds to the gay cruising areas on the dunes after dark!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in Playa del Ingles. Next to the Maspalomas sand dunes. 4-Storey building. Colonial-style architecture. 28,000 M2 of subtropical gardens. 800 M from the beach. 2 Km from the city centre. 500 M from various shops. 30 Km from the airport. 50 M from a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: Visa, MasterCard, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, RIU Hotels and Resorts, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Palace Maspalomas Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria