“Very nice Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
“Very nice Hotel”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Stayed at the Sandy Beach from 29/10/12 until 5/11/12 - wife and I and 16 year old Granddaughter. It was an excellent choice.
The only bad point, from my point of view, was the beds were very very hard and consequently most uncomfortable (may be deliberate because the quality was fine) - I found it very hard to get a good nights sleep.
But do not let that put you off staying there. I would most definitely go back. The food was excellent. The staff were also excellent - very friendly,efficient and plenty of them.

Room Tip: Pick a room from floors 4 to 7 overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Art F
U_Matas, Manager at Seaside Sandy Beach, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear Seaside Sandy Beach Guest,

Thank you for your comments on Tripadvisor.

It is nice to read that you were happy with the friendliness of our staff and the quality of our food.

Since we want our guests to enjoy their holidays to the fullest we are happy when they address us directly with their wishes and suggestions. Because if we would have known that the bed was not to your liking, we would have gladly organized a softer mattress for you.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon here at our Seaside Sandy Beach****.

With kind regards,

General Manager Seaside Sandy Beach****

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I returned from this Hotel on Sunday 28th October 2012 with my partner and I will give as accurate review as possible. If you are considering a holiday here, please read.
We arrived at around 9.50pm on the previous Saturday evening and had missed dinner so were brought two plates, one with fruit on it, the other a bread roll each and some ham and cheese slices and a small bottle of water, between us.
No tea/coffee facilities were in our room, and although there was a fridge, there was nothing in it. It might be a suggestion to the management to perhaps consider leaving a bottle of water in the fridges/rooms each day. If you are paying for an ‘all inclusive’ as we did, beware, any drinks you have after 11pm (the bar closes prompt at 1am) you will be charged for. When we checked out, we had a bill for 30 euros, for about 4 orange juices and a couple of beers.
The breakfast, lunch and dinner is all served buffet style from the one area. Every time you eat or drink be expected to be asked your room number, some staff ask for the room card and some get you to sign a receipt. The waitressing staff were very professional, polite and the tables were cleaned and prepared for the next persons very quickly, even though you may sometimes have to wait a few minutes whilst this is being done. At dinner one evening I did ask about tea/coffee facilities for the room and was told to ask reception. We returned to our room after to find a kettle had been put in it, no sachets or cups or anything, just a small electric kettle. I just brought milk and tea from the supermarket nearby and borrowed a soup cup from the dining area and made my own. The breakfasts were generally good, lunch and dinner were a little bit samey, some of the desserts were delicious, but on the whole, I can’t complain about the food, or the cleanliness of either the restaurant or our room.
We were in room 324 – on the third floor - which is right opposite the pool. The Pool area is moped and swept by the cleaning staff every morning.
Issues with the sun beds, it was really difficult to get one, unless you are prepared to queue on the steps waiting for the go ahead to place towels on the sunbeds. I think the hotel have tried to stop people hogging them at ridiculous times in the morning by imposing a rule whereby you cannot put your towel on a bed before 8.45 each morning. But if you are a couple of minutes beyond that time, then no way would you get a bed for that day. That can be stressful; my partner wouldn’t get into it so I only got a bed a couple of times when I was prepared to queue myself!
The real major issue and concern is when we left. Our airport pick up was for 4.30pm on Saturday and I asked reception on the Friday if we could extend the use of our room until this time (I have always had this opportunity at every other hotel I have ever been to, or alternatively been offered use of room in a less favourable part of the hotel) The flight home wasn’t until 8.45pm and prior to leaving we wanted to freshen up as we had intended swimming in the sea or the hotel pool. I was told to ask Saturday morning after breakfast, which I did and was advised the hotel was full and they needed our room vacated by midday – but was told there was an ‘office’ in which to leave our luggage and a room on the 3rd floor to change etc. Every other floor generally comes via the 3rd floor as this is the access point for the pool, restaurant, bar etc. The room that I was told we could use is located just by the lifts on the 3rd floor. I opened this room with my existing room card to check it out - it had showers, hair dryer, ironing board, and I thought this will be ok, not ideal, but ok. We left our room at midday, took the cases up one floor to reception who are located on the 4th floor, to be told to take them back to the 3rd floor, to the room we were going to use to change later. I was a bit puzzled as the manager had said that we could leave the luggage in an ‘office’. But we handed in our existing room cards (which I knew worked on the door of the room we were to use and as that is where the ironing board is so I assume every other person’s room card can do the same) and were given another card to use. We opened this room we were told to go to and it was packed from floor to ceiling with other luggage. I was shocked and didn’t know what to do, but we agreed we couldn’t walk around with 2 trolley cases for 4 and half hours. So we left our cases with all the others. I was not happy, as it was so obvious that ANY ONE AT ALL IN THE WHOLE HOTEL could get into that room and go through anybody’s bags. We spent four hours worrying about the cases, and knew that if asked at the airport ‘have you left your luggage unattended’, I would have had to lie say no, in case it delayed getting home, but what if someone HAD put something in our bags? We wouldn’t have known, and I think this is a major security issue.
At 4 pm we went to collect the luggage, the door was wide open, propped open by a low bench…..how secure is that??? Remember, I mentioned where this room is located….
We didn’t feel comfortable showering and very quickly changed as coming back to the UK we knew we would need more than shorts on, we didn’t shower in case people started to come in to collect their cases and the area is so exposed. We are both disgusted and I only didn’t get into it with the management at the time because I knew it would end I a big argument and I didn’t want to have all that before we flew home. I just wanted to get out of there. We really felt the management can’t be bothered with departing guests, they just want you out of the hotel, and it put a real spoiler on the end of the holiday.
Although some of the staff were very nice, and the hotel was clean, this poor treatment of our departure is why I have rated the hotel lowly. I just wish I had photographed this ‘room’, piled high with luggage and propped open with a bench, but I didn’t think about it at the time as I was so upset. Needless to say, we will not be going back to this hotel and want to make others aware.

Room Tip: dont be on floors 1 or 2, it is dark down there. Ask for pool view, from Floor 3 and above
6 Thank chel b
U_Matas, Manager at Seaside Sandy Beach, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear Seaside Sandy Beach Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor. Your feedback helps us to improve wherever possible.

We are glad to hear that the food, the friendliness of our staff as well as the cleanliness of our resort were to your satisfaction.

We are very sorry that we were not able to grant you a late-check out since our hotel was fully booked at that time. By addressing your concerns regarding leaving your luggage in the courtesy room to our reception, we would have been happy to secure your personal belongings in another room for you. Nevertheless please note that there are three video cameras installed in the luggage room and that every movement can be monitored at reception. This is why until today we never experienced any security issues.

Please be informed that an equipped minibar is always on request and payable locally. The policy to leave the minibar empty is because we want to give our guests the opportunity to use the fridge for their own drinks. The kettle including coffee and tea bags are automatically provided in room types B as well as in the Suites. In all other room types those services are on request only and payable. In your case please accept our sincere apologies for not having provided cups together with the kettle.

In order to enable all of our guests to enjoy a sun bed we established the rule not to put any towels on them before 08:45 in the morning. Nevertheless, our staff will be delighted to indicate our guests free sun beds, which mostly are available slightly away from the pool, so that all our guests should have the possibility to relax around our pool.

We wish you all the best and remain

with kind regards,

Newmarket, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Thanks to trip advisor, we picked this hotel. We weren't dissapointed. Half Board was fine for us, as the food was plentiful-no one went hungry! Fish and Steaks cooked to order in the evening.The choices were amazing. Have had less choice in five star accomodation. The bar prices weren't extortionate either.
The room was v.good. Separate walk in wardrobe, new t.v's. kettles. Advise having upper floor option. Understand lower floors are more basic. The management of this hotel is also very hands on. Pool towels, for a returnable deposit were really big. There are several steps around the hotel, but we discovered the back entrance which was nearer the beach, and less steps. Not far to the beach. We recommend Restaurant Roma on the sea front for tea/hot chocolate and some evening entertainment.
Yumbo centre worth a look. Local buses run from there, and are quite cheap and reliable. Porto Mogan is beautiful.
Very clean island. Our visit was brilliant.

Room Tip: High floors are quieter. Family rooms are available on the corners of each floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
U_Matas, Manager at Seaside Sandy Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Seaside Sandy Beach Guest,

Thank you for your comments published on Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to hear that our food, the rooms and our pool service met your expectations of a lovely holiday.

It is nice to read that you had a blast in our hotel and that you enjoyed some of the beautiful spots on our lovely island of Gran Canaria.

We wish you all the best and hope to welcome you back at our Seaside Sandy Beach**** soon.

Edinburgh
Reviewed October 30, 2012

We have just returned after two weeks in October at Sandy Beach Hotel . We cannot praise the staff throughout the Hotel highly enough. They work as a happy team and they put themselves out to make sure the clients requirements are met. The Hotel now has many English speaking TV Channels including BBC and ITV and a kettle in the bedroom. We used the 'All Inclusive ' tariff which works very well indeed. The food is of a high standard . We noticed many familiar faces of others like ourselves who keep returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank migrators
Dear Seaside Sandy Beach Guest,

Thank you very much for commenting on your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor.

It has been a pleasure having you at our hotel and we are truly pleased to read your nice words concerning our staff. Your praise will be a great motivation for all of them.

We wish you all the best for the future and hope to welcome you back at our Seaside Sandy Beach****.

With best regards from Gran Canaria

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Wanted some winter sun with my girlfriend and this hotel ticks all the boxes. We were blessed with a central 10th floor room which was perfect. All the standard features I look for were more than adequately covered ie bed, shower, air con, an espresso maker and you could eat your dinner off every surface. Daily cleaning and new towels were taken for granted but these people know how to run a hotel. The all inclusive package was really impressive and the food / drink and afternoon waffles were faultless. I must say the back end of the week became a little more congested at meal times but with a little patience this wasn't an issue. It has a wonderful central location for the beach, the Kasbah and Yumbo and is a gem amongst perhaps more rough surrounds. The staff were incredibly hard working and friendly. Use the hotel as a base to explore the sights but we've literally spent no more cash apart from a stroll out to get the UK morning papers and gifts or the kids. My girlfriend and I are already looking at the family accommodation for October half term next year. The gym is adequate and the sauna a must. Had a late check out today (8pm) and they gave us another room for free to use all day. Yes predominantly German visitors but hey I go on holiday to get away from the Brits.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank MARTIN L
U_Matas, Manager at Seaside Sandy Beach, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Seaside Sandy Beach Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor.

We wish to thank you for the kind words about our staff and will be more than glad to pass these on. Our highest priority is the satisfaction of our guests and your comment shows us that we are on the right path.

It would be a pleasure to be able to welcome you back again in our Seaside Sandy Beach****.

With greetings from the sunny island,

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We stayed at this hotel recently and where do I start without being overly enthusiastic. We have stayed at a number of different types of accommodation in Gran Canaria over the years and have always had a great time but this hotel really did meet up to high expectations. The hotel is in a prime location for the beach, Yumbo centre and the Kasbar centre which is in walking distance.

We arrived late into the evening and met with a very pleasant Spanish female receptionist who was extremely polite and helpful. We were greeted and offered a glass of sparking wine whilst we were swiftly checked in. This was a small touch which makes a difference after a flight with a transfer. Reception staff offered to take our bags to the room whilst we went for dinner, although being as nosey as I am; I just wanted to scout out the room. Our room was on the lower levels and it was lovely. The room was very spacious and clean. The room had robes, clean towels and a complementary supply of showers gels etc. The room lead out onto the enclosed balcony. This then led into well cared for gardens, which was great for us. However, having met some other people their rooms where equally nice overlooking the pool.

It did not end at that, the dinning area was equally well designed, although as most of us are creatures of habit we seem to want to eat at the same time then the dinning area would get a bit crowed, but the waitering staff were great....no problem to big and all had great personalities and made every effort to make our holiday experience a welcoming one. The food was outstanding and there was a great deal of variety, with the chiefs cooking away in the background. There were no snack between breakfast and lunch, although I could eat no more after the variety of food for breakfast. Lunch equal great and at about 3pm there would be waffles and cakes which were delicious after a day of sunbathing.

I can not forget the resident singers who made our after dinner experiences full of fun. They are brilliant entertainers; especially the female singer who gets you up dancing and with the great services you can drink away in a very relaxing atmosphere. There was also visiting entertainment ever night which were fab and the nights just flew by, so staying in the hotel was great.

The day was very relaxing. You can get two large pool towels for a deposit of 20 euro and you can have them changed daily...save a little baggage allowance so don't bother taking towels. The hotel poolside staff where excellent. You want a sun bed, he would find you one with no fuss and he was very polite and friendly. The pool area is very clean and despite some reviews complaining about space and our European friends it was nice to try to chat with people who had limited English, but I must say we did not met one rude person and it was lovely to hear the different languages. The bar staff were very friendly and they work the all inclusive service very well, often getting to know you so being served was great and no wrist bands.

The cleaning staff visit your room daily and every day the room would be cleaned and again they had great personalities with a sense that nothing was too much trouble despite being very busy they will give you a "hola" and even help if you trying to find facilities. The facilities were very good with games daily, a tennis court and a gym.

Overall we had a cracking one week’s holiday and now wished it was two especially at this hotel. We got what we pay for, if not more from the staffs’ excellent customer service. We will definitely go back to this hotel, recommend to our friends and if you want a great holiday and just relax this hotel will offer you the services, great customer care and a great environment to have a fab holiday in Gran Canaria.

3 Thank juls70
U_Matas, Manager at Seaside Sandy Beach, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Seaside Sandy Beach Guest,

We wish to thank you for reviewing us on Tripadvisor.

It is lovely to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our facilities, the good food and the friendliness of our staff. We constantly look for ways to better our service and your opinion lets us know that we are on the right path.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon we remain

with kind regards from Gran Canaria,

Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Just returned from another fantastic holiday at this hotel .We were here in May and the same high standards were executed. Staff were brilliant Jorge&Paci resident entertainers made our holiday along with Paco Emillio Eva and too many to mention .Professional shows were very good and we hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Higher floor for good views
1 Thank Alison H
Dear Seaside Sandy Beach Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor.

It is nice to read that you spent great holidays in our hotel and that you consider another stay with us.

We always endeavour to fulfil our guest’s expectations so that they can enjoy their holidays with us to the fullest. Therefore we appreciate very much your kind words concerning our staff.

We are looking forward to seeing you again next year and we wish you all the best.

Best regards,

Seaside Palm Beach
Seaside Palm Beach
#4 of 216 in Maspalomas
Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa

Been to Seaside Sandy Beach? Share your experiences!