“Nice hotel but be warned”

MUR Hotel Neptuno Gran Canaria
Ranked #13 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Staying at this hotel as a group of young girls was a bit of an experience. We knew it was gay friendly and had no problem with that but in actuality we felt a bit out of place - a lot of staring, and the waiters were slightly over happy to see some young girls! The swimming pool is absolutely stunning, and so is the hotel grounds/corridors, but our room was suprisingly small and basic. I love the light up shower though, nice touch! Location - not bad, you can walk to the Yumbo centre which is good fun, but to get to the other nightlife you'll need a cab.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,327)

Reviewed October 7, 2012

The neptuno hotel was generally good with some positives and some negatives

Positives

Great location if you want to be near the Yumbo Centre. The hotel backs onto the centre via a private gate, which means it's 30 sec walk and your in the centre!

Lunch time service if your all inclusive. Lunch is served by the pool and is waiter table service with a reasonable menu to choice from. In fact lunch was probably the best meal at the hotel!

Each person is allocated a towel and a sun bed pad for the duration of your stay, so no need to buy or bring towels.

Cocktails are included as part of the all inclusive! These are proper mixed ones not the ready made ones from machines.
They also serve sangria around the pool at twelve noon to all guests at the hotel nit just the all inclusives.

Negatives

Breakfast choice was a bit limited. Generally eggs every day.

Your allocated a table at dinner for the duration of your stay (either 18.30 or 20.30). You have to share with anyone else allocated to your table for the duration of the stay! This could be a negative dependent on who you have to share with!

This wasn't necessarily a negative got us but outside the hotel can be noisy at night given it's proximity to the yumbo centre. But the hotel do provide foam ear plugs in the rooms!

The food at dinner was occasionally good and often just very bizarre! I guess the hotel are trying but no real thought as to what foods went together and not a massive choice if you wanted a hot meal rather than salad! But they did provide whole shelled prawns on a few nights which were good and the salad bar was generally the best option!
It's beef with strawberry compute tonight! Let's see.....

Staff are slow to understand and don't really explain what they are doing! When we checked in, we were left at the reception desk for an hour with no explanation as to what was going on. The man at reception had very limited English and seemed unsure of what he was doing! The delay would if been fine as long as someone was able to tell us that there was a problem with the room!

The entertainment at the hotel dosnt really exsist apart from a dodgy karaoke one night and an old man at the piano another! Not a problem for us as we went to the Yumbo most nights.

Generally the positives on location, lunch service and drinks out weigh the negatives. But if your not planning on going to the Yumbo most nights then this probably isn't the hotel for you

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank monkey220275
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was our third trip back in 3 years running!!thanks to the weather at 30c every day was sunny by the poolside!!the staff at the hotel were so helpful especially Andres Javier and Livia in Reception..they even gave me the weather forecast each day from the local paper!The restaraunt was excellent with maitre d "Hilarios" and you can eat steak and pork and smoked salmon and prawns for dinner and freshly cooked bacon and eggs for breakfast!!the poolside gardens tended by Fransisco were very attractive and the poolside area was clean and spotless...no glass allowed outside so one can walk barefoot by the pool!!!the poolside cafe is a little expensive if you are not on all inclusive!!a cocacola cost me 5 euros so i stuck to bottled water by the pool!!!at 12 noon every day the barman brings free glasses of sangria to the pool guests a nice new touch!!the entertainment in the bar was good and the karaoke night on wed seemed very busy!!!the location next to yumbo was excellent for shopping etc and has a great spar supermarket!i didnt hear much noise from the bars at night so slept well....the wifi wasnt very strong unless you were in reception so i hope they can boost the wifi!!we did a vip mountain trip with the thomas cook rep called "Jay" which was fun...and a taxi to the beach at maspalomas was only 4 euros so we tended to stay by the pool in the morning and the beach in the afternoon!the rooms were cleaned every day and we had new bath and pool towels every day...the maid even made a design in the bathroom out of our toiletries!!so apart fom the 5 euro colas i cannot fault this amazing hotel!!!all of the staff make an effort if you make an effort!!!juan in the bar was excellent with the clientele on full board which meant they had free drinks!!my gin and tonic was only 4 euros cheaper than a cola!!!congratulations to a great team and great guests (about 60%gay)a great hotel in agreat location!!!i shall return soon!!!!

Room Tip: a poolside view is a good idea!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andyasia
Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Been here 3 times now and had another great stay.

Rooms- not huge but a fair size, spotless and modern.
Food- went all inclusive and was worth every penny, especially the a la carte lunch by the pool.
Location- if you want to be near the yumbo centre, you could not get any closer. There is even a gate that leads directly there from the pool area.

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I stayed 9 days at Yumbo in Playa del Ingels (I stayed before at Riu Palace, Riu Don Miguel and Los Almendros). The hotel is well located if you want to party in Yumbo centre like me, this is very gay friendly, no children (this is the best of all even if I love my nephews). Food is ok but a bit disappointing. Limited choice and almost no spanish local food. No Paella for example in 9 days.
The pool is great, only used it once or twice as i still prefer the beach. The staff is friendly but this is the case in most hotels in Canarias that i've done so far.

I think the room needs soon a refresh as the floor and the bathroom were a bit used and I appreciate a super clean bathroom always.

Will definately go back I think except if Riu Don Miguel is at the same price or cheaper as the food was better and location great too.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gregous
Reviewed September 20, 2012

Hotel clean,tidy and very welcoming.Staff very friendly and helpful.Hotel room was spacious and modern in decor(to my taste)and very comfortable.Restaurant was a bit cramped for the amount of people using it hence 2 sitting time.I being a single traveller did not mind being placed with like minded people by the Maitre De.Food was varied and I liked the way they had a Lady cooking the eggs/bacon at Breakfast in the morning.Dinner was good food was hot/not quite as varied but sufficient.Room was cleaned every day to a very good stsndard.All the staff went out of their way to ensure that we enjoyed o ur stay at the hotel.My compliments and thanks to all the staff for their endevours. The only downside to my vacation was the travel arrangements.I traveled from Brackla,Bridgend to Cardiff airport(No Public connections.I not being a driver):and arrived at my hotel at midnight on the 10th after leaving home at 2.30pm.On my return I vacated my room at 12.00(as is the norm)and had to linger about the hotel/town until I was collected at the hotel until 21.00 hrs for transport to the Airport for flight at 23.25 hrs arriving at Cardiff at 03.30 and reachng home at 05.00 am.I had taken taxis from home to Airport and the return home.As I was on a H/B package via Flexible trips part of Thomas Cook,can they and other Tour operators try to make our travel arrangement a bit easier in getting to/from airports particulary flight slots etc.I only mention this as at the moment Cardiff airport has at the moment a very,very limited connection by Public Transport and the only way to get there is by Driving yourself or Taxis. Other than that my holiday was excellent and i hope to return next year to the Neptuno.

Room Tip: Watch the traders in the Yumbo and other centres trying their damdest to sell you anthing and everyt...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Brian G
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the first time that myself and my partner have been to this hotel (we are a straight couple), and we will definately be coming back. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and very nicely presented. Loved the pool and the food was fantastic, a lot of variety. Very close to the Yumbo centre which we found not to be to noisy once the balcony doors are shut. We went half board but you can go fully inclusive once you are at the hotel. We actually thought that half board was enough for us. Hopefully we will be back there next year

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple