“good value for money”

Hotel Servatur Waikiki
Ranked #26 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Just returned from a week at the Riu Waikiki, overall the hotel is very good value for money. as others have stated theres no air conditioning, no hairdryer and no fridge in the room but we knew this when booking. the food is very good, lots of choice for breakfast, dinner and tea and a snack bar open for the best part of the day. its about 15-20 minute walk to the beach or there's a curtesy bus from the hotel. Entertainment team work really hard and there's always something going on if your that way inclined. Always managed to get a sunbed by the pool - even in the afternoon. Rooms cleaned regulary. A time and table is allocated for the evening meal either 6.30 or 8.30 - we had 8.30 which was about right but i think if you asked for the earlier time there would have been no problms getting it. good cocktails in the lounge downstairs - much better than the pool bar - beer and soft drinks on tap which saves having to queue. not many places open in the resort itself - unless we looked in the wrong place, walked to the kasbah for some food and a couple of drinks but fairly quiet out and about so mainly stayed in the hotel and made the most of the all inclusive. Overall a nice break in a good 3 star hotel.

1  Thank Kelly_p1984
Write a ReviewReviews (2,248)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just got back today from the Riu Waikiki. Must say all staff are very nice, very helpful and polite. But can't help feeling that I've just been on a weeks DETOX. I feel like I've never had any alcohol at all in this hotel. Looks like they are pouring huge measures of spirits out but you do not get even tipsy let alone drunk...The beer goes flat straight away so obviously watered down..
This is the eighth all inc hol that my wife and I have been on and obviously you do expect to get the cheap local booze, but it's an absolute disgrace what is going on in this hotel, because all the drinks are totally watered down...We even saw people who we had befriended, who were so sick of it, that they actually bought their own cans of san miguel and brought them in carrier bags into the hotel to drink while watching the evening entertainment...Personally we tended to go out of the hotel and use the bars close by as the drinks in the hotel are a total sham...Feel totally ripped off!!!

When we booked this holiday through Thomas Cook, we were told it was a 7 day all inc holiday. But this is a total breach of advertising standards...Because it is in fact a 6 and a half day holiday. We arrived from Newcastle to the hotel at midnight on Thurs 11th Oct...so all we could do was go to bed as everything in hotel was closed. So therefore our first meal was breakfast on the Friday morning. We checked out at midday on the following Thursday and were told if we wanted our evening meal we would have to pay 15 euros each, bearing in mind we didn't get picked up till 9pm for a midnight flight back to Newcastle. That evening meal should have been part of our 7 day holiday. I know it's only a 3 star hotel, but that doesn't mean you should be ripped off....

You would have thought a hotel which is 20 years out of date, which for me is why the hotel is a 3 star, would have made sure that at least the drinks would have been of a decent standard...

Hey, I don't consider myself to be picky. I could put up with the fact that there was no AC, bed was a glorified camp bed, repetitive food, TV must have been 20 years old with nearly all German channels...but I just can't put up with non alcoholic drink on a so called all inc holiday....

Room Tip: I can only comment on our room, which was in block E, furthest from the bar, 7th floor. This meant i...
1  Thank RMSandys
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I have put the overall rating as very good, that is to take into account the star rating, what you get in the hotel, against the overall cost of the holiday, you could not compere this hotel to say, the Riu Cancun mexico, and still put very good.

We stayed at this hotel a few years ago and it has hardly changed at all. Not that we minded very much, we didnt need air con, as some people have said that this is what the rooms need,the fan was enough, but as we live in Tenerife maybe we are used to the heat. The rooms are still basic but so what, you get a free room safe, they are cleaned every day the t.v even had a couple of english movie channels. we were in block 2, floor six, right opposite the lifts with a pool view. No noise from the lifts or the people from the rooms on either side, we even got an extra pillow each 2 days b4 we left which is the only room gripe.

Food wise, well I think the food was not as good as the last time we were there. Im sure last time there was more choice and the food was just a better quality, For this holiday we had the choice of veal, liver, chicken, pork or fish. That with chips or potatoes and veg thrown in sounds ok, yes. But for me well the veal was unchewable, pork very fatty and the fish, too many bones to be bothered with. Chicken was fab so was the salad bar with cold meats and all things salady.

Midday and evening meals were pretty much the same as each other but thats ok, what do you eat in your own house, the same stuff day after day.
Breakfast starts at 8 o'clock which consists of baked beans, different levels of fried egg, fried meat type bacon, tortilla, and most days sausages, not english ones, choice of different types of bread, cereals, and of course tea, coffee. The staff are very good, always polite, and friendly. I would not say, like others have, that the food is more german orientated, there was a large mix of people from different countries, brits seemed to have the largest numbers as it goes, and the hotel is just trying to cater generally for a lot of different tastes.

Pool area was kept very clean and so was the pool itself. You could only save your sunbeds with a towel after 8 o' clock in the morning.If you put your towels on the beds at say 7 o'clock then you gotta sit there with the towels, if you dont the staff will take your towel off the beds. Most people walk down to breakfast at around a quarter to or ten to 8, sit with towel on chosen bed or beds till 8 after that bed is then safe and reserved awaiting your return from brekky. There were a few, not germans, that would be down at 7.30 when it's still darkish sittin there, there really is no need.

Outside bar, snacks in the afternnon pizza, burgers, hotdogs, chips, salad, later on there's cakes
as well. beer, wine,soft drinks is all self pour, anything else ask the bar staff, thier english is good enough. They serve english , german, french and whoever else day in day out year after year. If they are'nt being nice then maybe it's because your not being nice. We had no problems what so ever, we don't change our drinks that much, so the staff knew what we wanted and just poured the drinks when we went to the bar.

Entretainment was a lot better this time around very good animation team, one or two of the shows were still a little like, what the hell was that all about but generally we enjoyed it. Again it wasn't just for the germans, a lot of it was in english remember it is a multi national hotel.If you want a good seat that you can see all the stage from then get down to the show room early.
there is entertainment throughout the day, water polo football and stuuf if you can be bothered.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for. This Riu is aiming for the 3star people not the 5 star crowd no offense to anybody. It is still basic yes it could do maybe with a refit but if they did all that would the prices go up. What we paid direct with the hotel is the same as what we paid a few years ago
for what it is it's great.

My only gripe is the food, generally it is good, I just want to be able to chew half of what I put in my mouth, but then others will sayI'm just being picky

Room Tip: A pool view may put your door by the lifts. blocks 1,2,3 are the best I would say for pool view. Hig...
1  Thank stuie011
Reviewed October 17, 2012

BAD POINTS

1. no air con
2. breakfast starts at 8am
3. we could not get late check out !!!

Apart from that we thought this hotel was good.We took our grandson who is 3 and he was awake by 6am everyday and wanted a drink and breakfast but it did not start until 8am ! this hotel is the first hotel we stayed in where breakfast starts so late. we was told no drinks in rooms are allowed !! we did buy drinks for our Grandson for the morning BUT as there no fridge in room it was very warm by the morning.

The children pool area was taking up by adults with no children so people with children had to get sunbeds away from the children's pool area !!!!! not good in my view and the hotel needs to do something about this as there was more sunbeds around they could have used instead

At 7 am people where putting there towels on the sunbeds to reserve them this is not allowed by the hotel but the hotel done nothing about it !! the staff should remove them.I did remove some towels at 9am so me and wife and Grandchild could get a sunbed by the children pool and when they returned at around 1pm without any children ??? they just gave us a dirty look lol.

My grandson went to the children club and returned after just 1 hr and did not want to go again as he loved the pool so much playing with other children.The Germans here i found very nice people and not rude at all,but I think it had something to do with my Grandson being Blondie and blue eyes lol they loved him.

The German kids are great they looked after my Grandson in the pool and thanks to them they helped him gain confidence in the pool, he was swimming by himself in the big pool by the time we left and putting his head under the water which he would never have done with us.

The food at this hotel was good I thought, we found something to eat to our liking every night and my Grandson ate very well here as he and myself are fussy eaters but the food was good and hot and plenty of choice to choose from.

The staff are fantastic and so friendly, the cleaning ladies always had a smile for you and say good morning.1 morning the cleaning lady knocked on our door and we said no thank you to cleaning as we was busy in room but she came back later on when we left our room to change and clean our room !! you would get that service in many Hotels,Thank you that cleaning lady.

We did not go to any entertainment at night in the Hotel so can't comment on this as my Grandson was ready for bed by 8pm and we put him first so made sure he had a good night sleep.We did have a telly in our room and there was films in English on every night so not too bad for us Grand parents ;)

We did ask for late check out but got refused they must have been fully booked up and needed our room for the next guests ? it was not too much bother for us as we was getting picked up at 3.30pm but if we was on a late flight back it would have caused a problem for us with my Grandson !!.

The Hotel area and rooms was very clean the staff work so hard to keep this hotel in tip top condition.people where moaning about plastic cups ????? shall we get glass cups so when people drop them and they smash people feet will get cut open !!! think about it ? I remember a few years ago a hotel did supply glass cups and a bloke cut open his foot on a broken glass and that ruined his holiday as he could not walk on his foot and needed stitches.

Would I go back to this Hotel ? yes but only me and wife, if we are taking our Grandson then NO.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank markwoods39
Reviewed October 14, 2012

To the CEO of RIU I would strongly suggest you sell off this hotel as clearly it does not appear to be of the quality that most people expect of RIU hotels:

ROOMS: The beds are SO hard that if you suffer from any sort of problems with your ribs, back or pelvis then AVOID this place else you could wake up hour after hour in pain. The reception staff informed me, on the day of depature, that mattress toppers were available! WHY did't they say WHEN WE CHECKED IN?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not impressed.
Also, you should note that if you are travelling back to Manchester on a Saturday night you will have to checkout at 11:00 latest and your pick up will be at 21:10. The hotel was so full we had no option of extending our room (50 euro). This means you will be sat around for hours. The change room that is provided is typically very hot, full of other people's used deodourant and other used things etc!!! Not very pleasant and they give you 20 miniutes to change. Horrid carry on.
By the way, the cleaners left our room door open one day when we came back. Good job there is a free safe in the room!!!

FOOD: I don't know about you but for a hot breakfast I expect proper bacon, sausage etc. At this place they have what looks lile cheap bacon grill out of tis chopped up and not a sausage in sight (and I checked this out at least on two separate days). Charming.
Lunch consists of usually some veal, chicken, pork and fish - EVERY DAY. Of course there are some reasonalbe salad dishes and veg but they never seem to change at all.
Dinner is basically a re-run of lunch except that there is s strict time and seat you MUST use every night. This makes for an uncomfortable experience if you are not happy with whom you have to always sit next to! At breakfast and lunch you can sit anywhere so why don't they let you do this at dinner? Not impressed.
Pool bar snacks - ok (less hassle and quite nice but every day THE SAME THINGS - YAWN...)

POOL BAR: There is self service on beer, wine and soft drinks. With the beer I am still trying to work out whether it is beer with some water or it's water with some beer in it. It is supposed to be Cruzcampo, more like Campo de Aqua!!!!
Cocktails are NOT MADE in front of you, they are pre-made and stored in plastic bottles in their fridges. Any alcohol in them? I didn't detect any! Some cocktails come out of a machine and for me taste like just plain fruit juice. At an "All Inclusive" hotel you expect to see a few tipsy people at the end of a night, NOT here not one. Best drink even though it appeared to be still watery is the self service wine. As for spirits they seem VERY WEAK and considering they are also using local cheap stuff (9 euro a litre etc.) and they don't pay VAT in the Canaries there's something that's gone very wrong.
If you are not a smoker you will be confronted by a continuous nicotine haze from 10:00 to 24:00 !!!!!!!!!! Come on RIU, segregate somkers from non smokers - get with the rest of the modern world.

ENTERTAINMENT: Please tell me what this so called "Dinner for one" show is about. I think high school kids could do a better job. People left in droves - ah well it made it easy for the bar staff and saved them a shed load on drinks!
The best show by far is the "Rock station". Most shows are mimed which means they only have to prance up and down the stage.
The show "Crazy Show" contains adult themes and many children of all ages were confronted with guys in thomgs wiggling their bottoms at you. INAPPROPRIATE! Parents take note!!!
Bingo in the afernoon at 16:00. Why can't they just take no for an answer and leave people in peace? Annoying.

HEALTH AND SAFETY: Why did we have a loose electrical socket less that about 1m from our bathroom sink?

Would I go back there again? No, but I might be tempted to see the demolition when it happens.....

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mike H
Reviewed October 12, 2012

arrived back on oct 11th after a one week stay.it is a very clean hotel.the check in at reception
was very quick and the staff very plesant.we were in block e at the back.the room had no air con just a ceiling fan which made it very hard to sleep because it got be warm in the night.if you opened the balcony doors there was a lot of traffic noise because there was a main road
running along the back.there was no fridge in the room which most hotels i have stopped in do have.the maid was very good she cleaned the room every day.and there were fresh towels daily.all the hotel staff were friendly.but the resturant was a let down.you could sit were you
liked for breakfast and lunch.but at evening meals you were given a set time.on arrival were were
told 830pm which was a bit late for us.after two nights we went on the 630 pm dinner.
it is the same food every night pork veal and lots of fish.and after a few days what was left went in the soup.it was very crowded by the pool.you helped your self to beer and soft drinks.
but if you wanted shorts the bar men served you.i don't like drinking beer from plastic glasses
it does not taste right.and some of the shorts were like battery acid.
there was a bus to take you to the beach.it was asmall mini bus or a 30 seater coach.
we spend most days on the beach.for two sunbeds and umbrella it was 5euros 50 cents.
for the time we sent out of the hotel we would have been better to go half board or self catering.
there are some bars just by the hotel smackers bar and big ben were dives and i would not
go in them.one man went into smackers bar for a pint of lager for a euro he took one sip and
left it.it was that bad.there are a few bars further up.just a five minute walk away in another little shopping centre.the britinia and windmill bars.we had a nice sunday lunch at the britania bar
and breakfast.if you want a nice night out doing a quiz and bingo go to the windmill bar.
the first supermarket by the hotel on the right could be more dearer than other shops so don't
go there if you want to buy fags or booze.and your talking a good few euros more.
a ten minute walk awaythere is a big shopping centre with plenty of bars ans shops there is also the kabash centre about the same distance.but i did not like it much there is was more for younger people.we went in a bar on the sea front cactus eck it had the best beer 2 euros
a pint. would i go back to this hotel again no.for a riu hotel i thought the waikiki was a let down.
after staying in other riu hotels.would i go to gran canaria again yes.it is a lovely island and i am
planning on going again next year but not to that hotel.

Room Tip: some of the lifts were not very good try for a lower floor if you can get one. no ground floor room...
1  Thank val1962
Reviewed October 11, 2012

This is the only riu hotel l have stayed in the rooms were basic but nice and the cleaning was five star.The food is plentiful but a little repetitive and geared towards more to the germans as they take up about 90 percent of the guests staying here. We found the staff did not speak a lot of english so there was a communication problem at times but to be honest we used lots of hand gestures which seemed to help lol.

Right the entertainment well the only word is crap im afraid miming to songs is so 1970s and just is not a exceptable form of entertainment and it was not even good miming l got quite moist when it was the Caribbean evening but the only thing Caribbean was the hats that they were wearing so we spent most evenings in the pool bar .and going out on the tiles which kind of defeats going all inclusive .

The pool was the cleanest pool l have ever seen as it was well cleaned every morning we made the best of what we had and had a fab holiday wont come back to this hotel as there is too many germans and the rudeness and arrogance did get to me after 10 days manners does count for nothing im afraid in this hotel we did meet two nice german couples which we chatted to which was a refreshing change but very far a few lol.

1  Thank matt98