“Great place to stay”
Review of Tropical La Zona

Tropical La Zona
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We found it quiet without road noise (and we are fussy). A good layout, very relaxed with a great welcome. Lovely pool area, nice spa, gym area great for some upper body work.
Good tv (with hdmi) and dvd and the wifi worked well in our room.
Breakfasts can be a bit different everyday - items and styles of cooking, but nice to have on the complex if you didnt fancy a walk out.
Only 5 mins walk to the yumbo.
Like some other bungalows, they dont seem to use washing powder/liquid or a tumble dryer....so the towels don't smell fresh???!!!
If looking at google maps it is currently still shown as Bungalows Kaori.
We loved it and felt very relaxed there and had a great holiday.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank give_me_s0me_sun

Reviewed December 9, 2011

Overall I enjoyed my stay in Tropical La Zona. As I was there in the winter, I cannot say how warm the bungalows will get in he summer.

+ The outside area is clean. The pool is nice
+ Very friendly staff
+ The studio was basic but with tv, sofa, microwave, everything you need for cooking. I didn't missed much.
+ The snacks and drinks served were good and reasonably priced.
+ Cleaning and changing the towels worked

- The biggest downer: The bathroom smelled. Staff said this depends on the wind and it's not only a problem of my studio. They want to fix this one during the winter. Before booking I would ask them, whether this one has been fixed because some days it was reallly disgusting and the smell creeped into the whole studio.
- The wifi was too weak, I was not able to use it in my studio, So I bought a Spanish SIM-card
- The double bed was not a double bed but two daybeds standing side by side. As I was alone, I didn't really care but I would have if I had been there with someone...

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Perminides
Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed here for the first time, wanted to try a gay resort this visit. Really enjoyed the stay, rooms where pretty much as per the other reviews, clean basic but comfortable. Nice pool area, plenty of extra towels etc if you need them. Enjoyed some light snacks at the bar salads etc where fine and good value. As the others say wi-fi not great but judging by the amount of iphones around the pool lots of people trying to use it and pool not warm but the atmosphere and location make it worth a stay. Less than 8 minute walk to the Yumbo and plenty of places to eat near by if you don't want to go that far.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank dniven2002
Reviewed October 29, 2011

This was our first visit to a gay bungalow complex, and we didn't regret it. My bf and I are a monogamous couple and no 'scene types' at all, so we weren't too sure about visiting this kind of resort at first, but La Zona is a very nice place to be.

I agree with the poster below that the beds can be uncomfortable (very hard mattresses) and that the bungalows are pretty basic. Wifi could be unstable in some spots, but most of the time it was fine. Our bungalow got cleaned twice during our one week stay.

The things I liked most about La Zona: the quiet (although it's pretty close to the Yumbo and other shopping centres, there's not a lot of street noise), relaxed atmosphere, the fact that it's clothing optional, the friendliness of the staff and the central location with Yumbo and restaurants at walking distance.

Booking was very easy on their web site and my questions by mail were replied to within a day. We rented a car at the airport (125 euros for a week), which is convenient when you want to go to the Maspalomas dunes (where the gay beach is situated), as this might be a bit too far to walk.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 5and3r
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We have visited gayresorts before and had great expectations of Tropical La Zona after reading all the good reviews here. Well, don't be deceived. There is still a lot of work to be done there.

Ok, there are some good things for sure. The outside areas are very clean and safe. The swimmingpool is not heated, but good sized and a nice place for sunbathing during the day. All guests get a key to open the maingate whenever they like and there seemed to be no problem in inviting over friends.

However, the bungalows are pretty basic and become really hot during the day. There is no airco, only a small fan. Sleeping can be difficult. Also, because the beds aren't comfortable. The firmest -woodlike- mattress that we have ever slept on.

Cleaning and fresh towels/sheets once in 3 days. But the staff just 'forgot' to do so. Not once, but during our whole stay. No excuses though, not even after complaining. The spanish cleaningboy was more interested in cruising guests. While being in a nice conversation with another visitor, the cleaningguy just mingled in, took of his clothes and started to seduce him. Weirdest thing ever! Sooo not professional! Reason for not cleaning our room: "you are not on my list, sorry".

Internet is also pretty bad. Although they advertise with WiFi all over the resort, there is no connection indoors. It's very unstable. If lucky, you'll be able to open Facebook. Most of the time even that is too much datatraffic for the WiFi.

But the most important thing: atmosphere. In other resorts we've visited, owners make a lot of effort to improve social contacts between guests. For example: daily happy hours.There is nothing like that over here. The spanish staff and their invited spanish friends stick together. They don't really care about the other nationalities staying there. If you enjoy your privacy and love to be on your own, this might be a good place for you. It's more likely you'll meet new friends in Yumbo then in your resort.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank DutchJim
Reviewed October 4, 2011

It was a fine location (near bars and discos on the one hand, and the beach on the other hand, but quiet) and the accommodation was clean. The beds were nice and comfortable and we got a good night's sleep. I liked the decoration and landscaping; and the swimming pool was a treat. I would say my stay there was quite satisfactory.
I was especially pleased by the staff. They went out of their way to make the guests feel at home and make our stay there a success. I'll be going back there next year.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 1, 2011

This complex is bigger than it looks in the photos and actually has 25 bungalows and a nice pool.
Being managed by the two owners means everything is kept up to scratch. Mine was a Bungalow and it was spacious with a good kitchen area containing a microwave and 2 hot plates and fridge .Furniture and fittings were are new and in good condition. There was a flat screen TV and a small audio system.
Cleaning is only every 3 days but you can ask for extra towels any time and I found that this is preferable to being woken up by cleaners every morning. The cleaners were male which means you don’t have to be careful about what you leave around!
Very quiet most of the time except a little street noise from the Kasbah Centre at weekends as locals tend to park in the road and get a little excited in the early hours.
The beds and pillows are exceptionally comfortable.
My only minor problem was the small window in the bedroom which made the room very warm during the night, a small fan is provided. This is only a problem during the hot summer months.There is no air con.
There is a small bar area which closes at 8pm and provides some basic snacks and several types of simple breakfasts. The complex is fairly new and I think this area could be developed a little more and seemed very underused at least while I was there. The staff were all very friendly, helpful and spoke excellent English.
Safe and wi fi internet was provided free. I had taxi transfers included which was an extra 70 Euros but certainly made for a stress free journey.
I have stayed at many gay only complexes and I know sometimes they can be a little ‘over-gay’ and feel a little intimidating Tropical La Zona was not ,it felt chilled out and would suit all types and ages. Despite having a ‘play area’ next to the Gym the complex is not overtly ‘cruisy’ so is fine for (monogamous) couples!

Room Tip: Some of the studios are next to the Pool others are in quiter area.