“Still one of the best small (gay) resorts”

Birdcage Resort Gay Lifestyle Hotel
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Still one of the best small (gay) resorts”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

We returned here again after a 2 year break and were delighted that it has maintained its high standards. Great room - nicely designed and very well serviced. Nice breakfast - although the buffet might be better protected from the sun.

Room Tip: We've always gone for the suites - nice to have your own living space
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank MSH-Sussex

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Strathaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Quiet location but only a few minutes' walk from the Yumbo centre. Luxurious rooms, bathrobes, comfortable beds. Breakfast is very German with attentive service. Well kept grounds with comfortable sunloungers around the pool. Free wifi. Would we come again? Already booked.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travel_Duck_UK
Yorkshire, UK
Reviewed November 29, 2011

This is the second time we have stayed at the Birdcage Resort and having an already wonderful experience last time, we wondered whether that could be surpassed and it was.

Yes, you pay more than other hotels but then again, you have to pay for quality, service, surroundings and an understanding of the gay market - the Birdcage Resort does not disappoint. This time we had the Canary suite which has its own private patio area.

There are only 7 rooms/suites in the resort thus ensuring you have privacy, quietness and the ability to relax - the resort is only a 5 minute walk from the Yumbo Centre but yet it is surprisingly peaceful owing to the fact that it is in more of a residential area just up from the Hotel Neptune.

Christophe, Thomas and the team go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible from the inclusive and wide ranging breakfast to beach towels in the room, fridge freezer's in some rooms, honesty mini bar and a room cleaning service that is neither untimely or invasive which is what other 'gay' resorts in GC are famous for.

If you want quality and somewhere that is gay then do not hesitate in booking at this resort!!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank andysteve01
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Beautiful, peaceful gay resort. The property is well situated close to all the nightlife and restaurants in the city. Our room was beautiful with our own private patio area. We would strongly recommend this hotel for gay couples.

Christoph and the rest of the staff were very attentive to all of the guests. The breakfast was beautiful displayed and excellent.

The one negative experience we had was with the masseuse. He is a very pushy sales person and monopolized our time with a long sales pitch. We tried one treatment with him and found it to be a horrible waste of money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank AMSRoamer
Sion, Svizzera
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Positive aspects
The resort is elegant. No excesses. Location is excellent. Breakfast is adequate.
Tom and Stefan provide their guests with a professional service
They do their job properly.

Negative aspects

1. We spent two weeks at the resort. The first week the Owners were not around, the second they came from their Country. Service improved dramatically once they came.
Question mark: this was just a case or their Employees should be trained better despite the fact they are always friendly and polite?

2. Masseur: an individual will approach you to offer a massage therapy. We strongly recommend you to be nice but firm with him as far as your intentions is concerned otherwise you might be unpleasantly stuck on this gentleman. Further considerations at your own intelligence.

In the overall we will return at the resort. Our experience was positive. We recommend you such a place. We were there in July. We paid the right price for the product offered to us. We assume High season prices might be a little bit too greedy for the Island.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lorenzo03
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2010

Just back from an 8 night stay at the Birdcage and will definitely visit again. The location is excellent just a 3 minute walk to the nightlife in the Yumbo centre but in a quiet cul de sac so at night it is very quiet.
Whilst we were there we were looked after by Christof and Kinero - two guys that were friendly professional and genuinely cared about whether we had a good stay with them. On our first evening we spent some time just chatting with Kinero in the bar/lounge area (a great space that seemed under used but worth having an early drink in) before going out and were made to feel completely at home very quickly. The service through out was excellent. (I just mentioned to Christof that my partner had a cold one day and minutes later the German lady who looks after the rooms (sorry, cant remember her name, but thank you to her also) appeared with some honey and hot water for him ...small things that make a big impression). I also spent my birthday there and again they made sure I had a good start to my day.
Everything about the resort is well thought through from the comfortable beds (the best sleep I've had in ages) to the extensive breakfast with eggs cooked to order (served up to 12 midday). We had a garden suite - loads of space and privacy which was welcome as the weather was a bit mixed and we spent more time inside than we normally would on a holiday.
The wifi was a bit temperamental when inside the suite though seemed ok elsewhere around the resort and we spent most of our time poolside so was not a problem. The resort is fairly small and when full has up to 14 guests. Whilst we were there it was quiet with just 7 guests a pleasant mix of German, Dutch, Spanish and ourselves (Brits). This is the perfect escape if you want quality and a quiet place to stay - but with the action not to far away.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BrightonMassage
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2010

Two friends and I stayed here for a long weekend and enjoyed our stay. A few minutes walk from the Yumbo Centre yet in a quiet cul-de-sac, the rooms are very modernly decorated while the complex as a whole has a traditional feel. There is a nice pool and a jacuzzi, and across the garden there is the reception, a bar area and the breakfast area.

Please note this is a "clothing optional" gay men's resort. While we kept our clothes well and truly on, if that's your thing then you're free to go for it here.

My friends arrived a few hours before me and were booked into a Suite. I had booked into a Room as I was staying on my own and didn't need the space. However, when I arrived I was upgraded to a Suite too which was a wonderful treat. I didn't see the other Rooms but both of the Suites I saw were wonderfully done and I'd recommend that you book one of these.

Breakfast is included and on the one day I made it (breakfast ends at noon) I had bread and pastries, cheese and cooked meats, scrambled eggs cooked to order, yogurt and tea. I believe there is usually more of a spread when the hotel is busier but what I had was more than adequate.

There is also an outdoor massage area but we did not see anyone having treatments as the hotel was not very busy. We did, however, have problems with the Franco-Russian masseur. One of my friends actually made it to breakfast on the first morning and was subjected to an hour-long sales pitch by him where he lectured him on the benefits etc as well as on supplements he should be taking. We then, later that day, were subjected as a group to the same sales pitch when he walked into MY room as we were having a drink together, where he then presented my friend with a box of pills that would "help his tan" along with a demand for payment. This was very rude since these pills were not in any way requested and frankly the hard sell of his treatments really turned me off from having a massage on my final day as I had planned. We also found we were slightly on edge the rest of our stay in case he dropped by again!

There is WiFi available in the resort. The only problem is that it is very intermittent and the connection drops now and again. This can be very frustrating. One of the members of staff said that they had recently changed how the WiFi system works so perhaps they will improve this as they refine the system.

The TV channels are mostly German from what we saw, but then you'd expect that as the owners are German! There's enough to have on in the background (MTV Germany etc) but if you want anything else perhaps bring DVDs and an iPod (there is a DVD player in the room).

I was really worried about bugs (specifically cockroaches) having visited Gran Canaria 10 years ago and having had a bad experience. But there was only one tiny bug in my bath one night. There is a mesh over the bathroom window to stop anything getting in. I'd suggest that they install brushes on the bottom of the doors to the patio though as this would stop things crawling under too. But really the place was spotless and I can't fault it (and I am very picky!)

I'll be recommending The Birdcage to all of my friends.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends