“Coeliac aware????” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Coeliac aware????”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

I booked this hotel after reading previous comments on how well they had looked after a Coeliac. I emailed the hotel to inform them that I had booked and that I was a Coeliac and asked about several things. I never received a response. So I emailed the holiday company (on the beach) who emailed the hotel and received a response, from someone called Gale, The email stated that they have bread, cereals and Pastries suitable for Coeliacs.

I will comment on the food service first, as this is the main title of the review. I have to say on the whole I was well looked after by the restaurant staff and the chefs. Special mention has to go to one of the chefs called SANTIAGO, who was superb in the way he dealt with my requirements.

All chefs offered me gluten free bread and gluten free pasta and pointed out the food that was "gluten free" on the buffet. Whilst they could point out foods that were gluten free I do feel that they do not really understand Coeliac Disease and did nothing to avoid cross contamination. On one occasion it took the director of food to find out if the ice cream was in fact gluten free as there seemed to be confusion between people in the kitchen and the ice cream bar. On the subject of Pastries, I asked on several occasions which pastries are gluten free only to be told the same response "This is not possible". Well yes it is actually, but they don't seem to have any. I did manage to avoid being glutened with the exception of one day, when I am sure that I ate something that was coated, although it had been pointed out as "sin gluten".

On to the rest of the hotel.

Hotel staff: Superb
Hotel rooms: Superb
Hotel pool / gardens: Superb
Room Cleaning: Absolutely Superb

I would definitely recommend this hotel, but probably wouldn't return myself as they are not fully aware of the consequences of getting the food wrong.

Room Tip: Quiet room at the end of the hotel, garden view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Robert B
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Many thanks for your review and many thanks for the time taken. We are glad you had a good perfomance of our kithen staff Santiago and we appologize for the misunderstanding. We have indeed several products for breakfast like bread and some pastries as well as som3 pasta. All ice-creams except "nata" and "turrón" are not gluten free.
We hope you will give us the chance to make it better for your next stay and remain,
with best regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

just been to the Catarina for a week and the hotel is fantastic. the hotel is extremly clean and there is a wide range of tasty food. the staff are amazing, they never stop & are so courteous & happy. we had no problems getting a sun lounger even at 11. the daytime staff were full of enthusiasm and never stopped, the evening entertainment was average but the parrot show and jugglers were very good. we had no issues on departure day re all inclusive, we were given vouchers for dinner & tea & bands were left on so drinks available until we left. highly recommend this hotel.

1 Thank journeysw
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Got home from the IFA Catarina on 6th September after an absolutely brilliant 10 days there! Was mine and my girlfriends first trip away together and chose this hotel after reading some of the similarly complementary reviews on here and found them to be spot on! From the moment we arrived we felt so welcomed by reception staff and this trend continued throughout! The room (although a bit of a walk from reception) was immaculate and maintained daily.
Food was delicious and varied, from lovely beef dishes to wonderfully presented salads. Ate breakfast and dinner here every day and took advantage of the food provided next to the pool bar which available around lunch time.
The hotel is also well placed, being within walking distance of the breathtaking dunes, beaches and the YUMBO centre, which during the day wasn't much, but came alive at night (would recommend Ricky's cabaret bar). A taxi rank is barely a 2 minute walk from the hotel as well, outside the RIU Palace and will cost around 5 euros to get the Aqualand and neighbouring town Meloneras which is a nice day out.
The hotel also hosted the 'sunset lounge' on the rooftop solarium which was fantastic! (Not sure if this is a regular event). Although not included on the all inclusive, the drink prices were very reasonable and the views the rooftop gave across the surrounding areas were beautiful. We were greeted on the roof by a very friendly waiter, who I think was called Alexander, that took our drinks order and could not be friendly enough and throughout the remainder of the holiday he constantly greet us with a smile! Friendliness like that is difficult to find elsewhere!
The highlight of the whole place however has to be the animation team! They work tirelessly to entertain guests! Performing, putting on daytime activities, and hosting the evening entertainment which included the 'Panchi mini disco' for the children. And it was all done with so much enthusiasm and a constant smile on their faces, so special thanks must go to Francois, Jose Luis, Zene and Simon the chief for that.
All told, this hotel helped to make this holiday a memorable one, and as I write this at home now, I wish I was just there again! Can't wait to look at going back in the new year.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Tpwc-Tjf9194
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Read the reviews, did the research, booked the hotel.
Ok, so the first thing i noticed about this place? The manager wrote back to Every review left, I like this, showed he wanted to make it as good as he could and he was keeping in touch with opinions, he changed everything negative and made it a positive, good on you.
The hotel is a 4* and you Really can tell, service was impeccable, room was gorgeous, restaurant was amazing, food drink staff, everything! Very Very impressed.
Due to the manager acting on everyone elses negative comments, I really have found that there was next to nothing that can be improved here, I stayed at another hotel this year on the island as it was a gift from a friend, had I had the choice, I would have chosen IFA Catarina again, 100%. As it happens, the other hotel let me down at every turn anyway, so it really didn't help knowing this was just a matter of a few hundred yards away!
Really, seriously guys, try this hotel for yourselves, you will not be disappointed! =)

Room Tip: Stayed on the ground floor......erm...good for drunks?
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank luke f
egiersbergICA, Gerente at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Many thanks for sharing your review and thanks for your great comment. It is very motivating and as the hotel manager, I try to make the holiday and experience for all guests. Beeing on top and close to the staff as well as guests make it much easier to solve problems, to adjust service perfomances and to greet our guests. Thanks again.
We hope to welcome you again at the IFA Catarina and many thanks to your friends for this gift.
Best regards and hasta la vista...
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed here beginning of August with high expectations after reading reviews and were not disappointed!

Best food we have ever had abroad. Amazing amount of choice! Myself and sister being sudsy eaters managed to find something every meal time! Pancakes, omelettes milkshakes and smoothies etc! Fantastic!! Also table staff were extremely friendly! Wonderful cafe open in afternoon with slush drinks, hot drinks, cakes, ice cream ect! Did nothing but eat all holiday!

Pool
Plenty of sunbirds. However on our first day we didn't manage to get one by the pool, but it was no problem as we found plenty in the garden just 20 seconds away. Even after coming back from the beach at 2/3pm we managed to get beds round the pool! Pool area kept very clean. Jacuzzis, waterfalls etc. weren't pestered by staff either to join in activities like many other places which was nice.

Rooms
Cleanest rooms we have ever stayed in! Floor absolutely spotless, not a crum there!! Fresh sheets, towels everyday. (read a review that other had trouble having clean towels, we had none at all?). Maids were very friendly and trust worthy. We left money lying round and not a penny went! Wish I could remember the name of our maid as she did a fantastic job and deserves revocation! Very spacious rooms. Only a slight grumble, there were a few little flies in the room. Not sure if they were coming from air con. Not a big problem at all though (and I hate bugs)

Staff
Very friendly, always there to help. Toilet flush broke and within minutes a maintenance man was there and fixed it in a matter of minutes. Special mention to who we think may have been the man in charge of catering (tall man, wearing a suit) getting stuck in cleaning tables and talking to guests. Managed to keep our room for 30euros as we werent checking out until 11:30pm. Had to return wristbands at 12 (but we forgot and cut them off ourselves later)

Area
In a brilliant area, two minutes from the sand dunes which truly are breath taking. Just up the road to the left are a few superrmarkets and further up is a FANTASTIC outdoor bar/shopping centre. You must visit!! Heard you had to take a bus to the beach, we walked each time as its only 10 minutes away at most!

Overall an amazing hotel. Don't normally return to places we have already been but will definitely be returning here!! Well done!! Special thanks to dining staff and the maid!!

Room Tip: We stayed on ground floor. Brilliant garden views even from there,
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mrh4747
Thanks for your review and thanks for sharing your experience and we are very glad you had a enjoy your stay with us. We are constantly training our staff to make all our international guests a happy and friendly holiday. Your comment is motivating and we will forwarded it to our heads of department.
We hope to welcome you soon again and wish you a nice remaining summer.
With best & "sunny" regards and hasta pronto,
St Helens, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Recently returned from a 2 week stay at the IFA Catarina and I can honestly say we didn't want to come home, this is one of the best holidays we have been on. The rooms are spacious with great air conditioning and a fridge. entertainment is great especially for the kids with the mini disco and Panchi club of an evening, there is always something to do for young and old alike, mini golf, zumba, aqua aerobics and much more, the entertainment team worked really hard and always with a smile and what was good is that they didn't pressure anyone to join in with games so you can continue to relax around the pool if you want to. You never went hungry with the all inclusive - inbetween breakfast, lunch and evening meal there is a snack bar open until 1.30pm serving chips hot dogs etc.. and from 3-5pm an ice cream parlour that served ice cream, slush drinks, pastries and sandwiches. My husband and 8 year old daughter where spoilt for choice for food however myself being a vegetarian (who doesn't eat fish) it was a little more difficult however I cant complain the salad selection was huge and I alternated between pasta, pizza, noodles etc so I managed just fine and eating all that salad allowed me to treat myself with the occasional cake and ice cream which were lovely. the hotel is a short walk away from the beach starting at the sand dunes which makes for beautiful views and there is a courtesy bus outside of the hotel. The staff on reception speak very good English and always very pleasant, they sorted out a packed lunch for us when we visited Aqualand and Palmitos Park and accommodated a late checkout for 30 euros which I think is well worth the money especially is you are travelling on a night flight, however they do have a courtesy room with shower should you need it. I would definitely recommend this hotel and will definitely be returning ourselves. thank you to all of the staff at the IFA Catarina :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank julie y
Thanks for sharing your experience and thanks for time taken. It is our pleasure you had enjoy your holidays. We ha read your comment on the vegetarian offer and we started since one week a corner with hot meals special for vegetarian.
We hope you will enjoy this corner at your next stay and remain,
with "sunny" regards and hasta pronto...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I along with our two daughters stayed here for two weeks. This is a lovely hotel - our rooms were large and spotlessly clean. The reception staff were so friendly and always happy to help. We enjoyed our days by the pool - no problems getting sun beds. We also loved our days on the beach at Playa del Ingles - the hotel has a regular free bus service to and from the beach which was always reliable. The food in the restaurant was lovely - always plenty of choice - no complaints at all. The entertainment on an evening was ok but we tended to go out and about to bars outside the hotel most nights. We had a great holiday and would definitely recommend staying at the Catarina Hotel.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Debbie C
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Many thanks for your review and thanks for sharing your experience. We are glad you had a lovely holidays and enjouyed the stay with us.
We hope to welcome you son to the IFA Catarina and wish you a nice remainign summer time.
With best &"sunny" regards,