“Fantastic Staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Peterborough
“Fantastic Staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have just returned from Gran Canaria and we had a lovely stay at the IFA Catarina.

I have never stayed at a hotel where all the staff were so helpful and frindly.

I emailed the hotel prior to arriving, explaining we would arrive around 11.30am and if possible would it be possible to have a room in a quite location. When we arrived not only had they given us a room overlooking the garden (room 222) in a lovely quiet location, the room was prepared and ready for us.

The rooms are very large, all with a good sized balcony and air conditioning, the bathroom was a good size with a bath and a shower over the bath. There was a fridge in the room which acted as a mini bar if you requested it. The hotel charges a reasonable 2 euros a day for the safe in the room and the safe was a very good size. Again a special mention for our Maid who kept the room spotlessly clean and was always cheerful and freindly when we saw her. - The only downside to the room were the beds, the matresses were not just hard, they were like rock. I got more sleep on the sun beds at the pool then i did on the bed

The pool and ground areas of the hotel were fantastic, with plenty of sun beds to go round. The activation team worked hard all day, with the main focus being around the main pool. If you did not want to get involved in the activities they left you alone and if you wanted peace and quiet there were plenty of sunbeds around the quiet pool or in the grounds. In the evening most of the activity was centred around the pool area, with a different act on each evening. The movie quiz evening run by the animation team was hilarious and the parrot show was well worth a watch.

We stayed all inclusive at the hotel and unlike some hotels we were not treated any differently to any other guest. There were waiters taking orders from around the pool in the evening and we were well looked after by our waiter Alexander who was always cheerful and happy to talk.

The food was plentiful and of a good quality, There was plenty of choice in the morning for breakfast, though the cooked options were not for me, but I have to say I never went hungry. In the evening I have never seen so many choices for main courses, with normally 2 or 3 dishes cooked in front of you. again all the staff in the restaurant were polite and helpful. However we did have one major problem with the restaurant and that was the labelling of the food. My wife is a vegetarian and we struggled to work out whether food was suitable for her and not. We did try asking the chefs/waiters when they were around but quite often they did not seem to understand the question. This led to my wife taking a slice of what we were led to believe was a cheese and tomato pizza, only to take a bite and find out it was cheese and bolognesse (with little pieces of meat). this is the first time in over 25 years she has eaten meat and made her feel very ill.

The hotel is in a good location about a 5 minute walk to the dunes and a 15 minute walk or 25 minute amble to the beachfront of Playa Del ingles - There is a free bus that runs frequently to the centre and we used this a few times

Overall we had a fantastic holiday in a very well run hotel - great that all the Hotel Managers are visible and always interacting with their staff and customers. if they could just sort out the Beds and the food labelling in the restaurant, this would be a 5 out of 5 hotel

Room Tip: We were in room 222 if you want a quiet location this was perfect
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Woodsia66
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thanks for sharing your review and thanks for your large and extended comment that helps other guest to decide to book their next holiday.
We are very glad you had a great time with and had already mentioned your point regarding corect labeling of the food. We are already changing to avoid situations as your wife suffered and are very sorry about it.
We hope to welcome you soon at the IFA Catarina.
With best & "sunny" regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

Well another nice stay at the caterina so glad we went back all the staff are so friendly the animation team work very hard as do the other staff the rooms are nice and large the only thing is some things are looking old like loads Ov chips on the crockery and other stuff and carpets in the corridors are looking old apart from that cannot wait to return

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank bromleyboy4
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Many thanks for sharing your review and thanks for your comment and we are very happy ypu enjoyed your stay with us. All the staff is quiet motivated and we all try very hard that our guest feel better then home...
We had read your comment regarding carpets and we hope to refurbish some odd places starting next year.
We would be glad to welcome you for next season and remain
with best regards and hasta pronto...
Stevenage, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

This is my second stay at IFA Caterina, and it was better than the last time, even the last time was Excellent, this time everything was outstanding. This time I went Bed and Breakfast, and stayed in a Garden room, Room 504. Garden rooms are the best, nice and quiet with outstanding views of the Dunes, and Masspalomas in the distance. The room was always cleaned to a high standard, thanks to the wonderful outstanding Chambermaid I had.

At reception, on the day I arrived (3rd June) I walked upto the receptionist, and before I said anything, or even gave her my hotel voucher, she greeted me with my name and a big smile, and welcomed me to the Caterina Hotel. I was so amazed that she knew my name. That blew me away. Now that is what I call service. Again Outstanding.

As I said earlier I stayed this time on a Bed and Breakfast package. The food was plentyfull, and something for everyone. So much choice to choose from. The best hotel Breakfast I have had in ages. The Restaurant was large and spacious with plenty of room between tables to get by. I truly recommend taking the Breakfast option. Food here is Outstanding.

I also frequently visited the Madison Bar, where I used the free Wifi. Its a shame the bar does not get busy at night, but it is a nice place to have a quiet drink.

Before I close this review I would like to say a big thank you to the staff I came across for making my stay that little bit special. These are :- Juan who works in Madison Bar.
Marta in the Restaurant. My Chambermaid who cleaned 504, and the Receptionist who checked me in when I arrived. (so sorry I cannot remember the last 2 names) You were all Outstanding, and a credit to the Hotel.

Room Tip: Garden View Room
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nakedmel
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Thanks for your review and many thanks for your comment. We appreciate very much you shared your experience and Juan, Marta, the chambermaid, the receptionist as well as the whole staff woyld be very happy to welcome you soon again.
With best & "sunny" regards and hasta pronto..
Dublin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

The many positive reviews of this hotel is well deserved. I have never met such helpful, friendly well trained staff in all my years of travelling. We travelled as 2 couples on all inclusive. I never once felt like 2nd class guest as another reviewer stated. We were treated exactly the same as the other guests who were not AI.Floor and bar staff at the pool bar at night were attentive and extremely efficient. Smiling and cracking jokes with us. My room was spotless thanks to our lovely hard working chamber maid. The restaurant was lovely, decorated in Moroccan style. the outdoor dining area was a delight as were the waiters and waitresses. The reception staff are the friendliest I have ever met. The hotel should be very proud of all their staff. The grounds of the hotel are expertly landscaped with over head walkways, waterfall, fish pond full of lotus flowers and a big aviary. We had a fantastic holiday thanks to Zenaib, Simon and Hose Luiz who were the animation team who kept us entertained from 11 to 11 each day. We had a room with street view but it was quiet. we could see the sea through the palm trees. If you want a really good massage go to Naila in the small treatment room in the pool area. She was expert. I was pain free for the 2 weeks we were there. Overall this is a wonderful, excellent value hotel and I would highly recommend it. For anyone with small children I noticed the childrens area was well laid out with a few different pools for different age range and the play area looked safe and well looked after. I must add that the range of drinks on AI was more than adequate. I was delighted that they also supplied decaff coffee all day at the pool bar. I have only one gripe and that is the hardness of the beds which was mentioned in previous reviews but we still managed a very good nights sleep

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank wannagoeverywhere
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Many thanks for your review and thanks for sharing your comment and we are very happy you had a such wonderful stay with us at the IFA Catarina. It is our aim that guest feel like family members and it is very motivating for all of our staff. We will forward your response to the head of departments.
We hope to welcome you back next season and remain
with very "sunny" regards and hasta pronto,
Naas, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

We returned to this hotel having stayed here last year. We opted for half board again are were not disappointed, it really is very good value for money. The staff are to be commended they are very polite friendly and helpful at all times nothing was ever a problem for them. The food is very good with plenty of choice. The rooms are very spacious and we found the beds quite comfortable. The entertainment around the pool at night is very good.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view rather than facing the street.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Patricia D
Thanks for sharing your review and thanks for taking your time for it. It is our pleasure you had the expected perfomance at your stay and hope to welcome you again for comming year at the same season.
With very "sunny" & best regards and hasta la vista...
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

I had a really nice time at IFA Catarina, clean comfortable nice and close to the beach without being on top of it, quiet but not to far away from the clubs and bars! All the staff were VERY friendly and really went out of their way to help!!! The only niggle I would have is the beer that was included in the all inclusive was disgusting but they offered other beers for reasonable prices! Hey can't complain that much I was all inclusive!! That being said that didn't matter to the staff there!! Another thing was the evening entertainment, I was there for 6 nights and the only one i enjoyed was the traditional spanish dancing, maybe have more spanish orientated acts rather than jugglers!! : / overall though its Excellent and would like to stay there again!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Simmonds89
egiersbergICA, Manager at IFA Catarina Hotel, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thanks for your review and thanks for your comment. We are really glad you enjoyed your stay at the IFA Catarina. We had read your comment regarding the beer and soon we will change the local beer to a Dutch brand to meet the central European taste.
We hope to welcome you soon at the IFA Catarina and remain
with "sunny" regards and hasta pronto,
sussex ,england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Good, quiet location of the hotel, but near the dunes. All rooms non-smoking. Our room on third floor overlooking gardens, very quiet. Safe in room only 2 euros per day and largest we've ever had; could fit lap top in easily. Free wifi around reception and in main inside bar. When weather was bad were able to get AI drinks inside, normally only available at pool bar where evening entertainment is.

Pool area pretty and clean. Plenty of sunny and shady places.

Outside the hotel there is a small mini market and a local bus stop within 200 metres to airport and adjacent towns. Hotel lays on free bus to the beach. Staff are the main asset of this hotel. The reception staff were helpful and knowledgeable, and we found all staff excellent, polite, helpful and always smiling. English spoken throughout.

Restaurant staff very hard working, although buffet self service, drinks were served by waiters in the restaurant and in the pool area during the evening shows. The food was very good with plenty of choice and pretty displays. Lots of fruit, juices, smoothies etc. Plenty of fish dishes and normally a roast meat choice. There are outside seating areas for dining and smoking.

Good entertainment; salsa and flamenco mix evening and Pavarotti show were our favourites. The entertainment duo worked very hard.

Overall, a great 10 day break. Was very impressed by the manager replying to the trip advisor comments which showed this hotel in a good light and this was confirmed during our stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank southdownstrekker
Many thanks for your review and specially thanks to the comment on the answer we try to give to our guest on tripadvisor. It shows, we are on the right track. Thanks again and we are very pleased to welcome you again to the IFA Catarina and remain hasta pronto,
with best & "sunny" regards,