“Exclusive and exquisite - definitely worth a detour...”
Review of Gorbea Restaurant

Gorbea Restaurant
Reserve with
Gorbea Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 69 Restaurants in San Agustin
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurante Gorbea, is named after the highest mountain in the Basque Country, and is also the highest restaurant in the south of Gran Canaria. Located on the ninth floor of the main building, the restaurant provides spectacular views over the beach of San Agustín and the Maspalomas Dunes. Air-conditioned. Direct access from outside the hotel via panoramic lift. Free parking. Well known for its Market cuisine specialities, the restaurant has recently been redecorated and modernised.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

In case you are on this Island and fancy a top notch getaway from the beaches with their €10 offers for the tourist masses, here's a tip : Go to the Basque Restaurant El Gorbea, on top of the Gloria Palace Hotel and allow yourself a treat; the surprisingly high food quality and warm welcome and hospitality and attentive serving of the personnel makes me believe that this place deserves a massive thumbs-up for the combined experience.

I had ordered the place to celebrate my Mum's 60th anniversary. In total 21 guests were invited. For the past ten years of business travelling, I have been visiting a considerable amount of eateries around the globe but Restaurant El Gorbea stands out among the best.experiences. Surrender yourself to the arms and will of the Head of the Waiters, Mr. Alemán and his team - you will not regret it. Mr. Alemán made an excellent choice of Basque and local tapas as starters and then convinced us to try the entrecôte for the main course - I admit that I needed some convincing in eating meat instead of fish on an island surrounded by the Atlantic ocean, however, it is truly one of the most tender and delicious food experiences that I and the rest of the guests have ever had.

Mr. Alemán, and his team impressed me, both in terms of flexibility but also in ingenuity and good spirit. Mr. Alemán has an excellent feel for selecting good wines as well to acompany the food.

My highest recommendation to this restaurant who every gourmet in the area should allow him/herself to visit, as Restaurant El Gorbea is definitely worth a detour on your travel across this Island.

1  Thank Gösta S

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

To be honest quality food served at a restaurant located in a four star hotel is what you would expect. My wife and I was not disappointed. Appetisers were delivered to our table. A nice touch. My wife had baked salmon cashew nuts, I had sea bass. Both were cooked to perfection. The restaurant prides itself on serving all fish dishes with bones removed. If you like white wine, I recommend the Vino Sol. I took dessert and my wife had a coffee. Total cost €62. The service was impeccable and the view from it's 9th floor location takes in the San Augustin and Maspalomas sand dunes scenery. The restaurant itself is very contemporary.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We visited this restaurant once. The view is impressing, the food is not. We had lamb chops and basque cod. The portions are very small, expensive and rather without much taste. The service is ok but with a stiff style.

1  Thank Arn043
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The restaurant is on the top floor of the Gloria Palace Hotel with superb views over San Agustin and out to sea.

We visited the restaurant on our second night and then booked it again for our last night as we had enjoyed it so much.

We didn't recognise the names of the wines, but the staff were helpful in telling us which wines were comparable to names that we knew.

The menu offers lots of variety, but my only criticism would be that the English translations were often misleading. For example, I was intrigued by the "Cod in puff pastry" salad, which turned out to be flaked Cod on salad. Don't be put off by this, just think of the menu as a guide and take a chance on what turns up! Despite the food not matching the description, the quality and taste could not be faulted! Every mouthful of every course was exquisite!

The staff were attentive, friendly and knowledgeable and contributed to the special atmosphere.

Our bill came in at about 50 euros a head, and that included an aperitif, three courses, wine, water, a digestif and coffee.

Would recommend and would revisit!

Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a meal on Monday 8th October and as a first visit was unsure what to expect. When we arrived we were greeted by the manager (Alaman) and escorted to the chill out area for pre dinner drinks. This fantastic restaurant and chill out area is on top of the Gloria Palace Hotel and has views to die for, so you can imagine how we felt on a beautiful hot evening looking out over the sea with our drinks, contemplating what to eat.

When we decided to venture inside to our table the manager took our wine order and returned with the bottle, a decanter and candle in its holder on top of an eleglently laid side table.

He then decanted the wine over the candle and told us to let it rest a minute whilst we ordered our food. With that done, he poured our wine into the loveliest glasses I have seen in a long time.

The food was exquisite and melted in your mouth (I had duck) and the service was out of this world. We loved it so much we went back the following evening.

If we had found this restaurant at the begining of our holiday, rather then the end, you can be assured we would not have needed to go elsewhere. Thank you Alaman and all your attentive waiters and chefs for a truly magnificant time.

4  Thank Rainie0