“Enjoyable stay at traditional hotel”
Review of Melia Tamarindos

Melia Tamarindos
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in San Agustin
DUNDEE
“Enjoyable stay at traditional hotel”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I travelled here with my mum for a weeks holiday. We both very much enjoyed our stay and felt it was excellent value for money. The rooms are clean and comfortable, perhaps a little dated, although a large flat screen tv was provided with some English speaking channels. I had the comfiest pillow ever, wanted to bring it home with me! We were given a lovely sea view room which overlooked the beautiful gardens and pool area. We had Dinner, B&B and the variety of food was really good, complimentary Cava with breakfast. I think there have been a few efforts to upgrade the hotel and add some modern touches but some areas are still to be worked on. This is a traditional hotel which provides a high degree of comfort and service. The staff were all very helpful and courteous. The evening cabaret was mixed with some very good and some not so good, room for improvement here. We very much enjoyed our week and would recommend to all age groups as close to other livelier areas but far enough away to be peaceful and relaxing. Also close to local buses to all other areas. All in all great value for money, a more traditional form of 5 star on offer.

Room Tip: The sea view is worth asking for as also encompasses the beautiful gardens and you can hear the soun...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BBR2007
Lorena_MeliaT, E-Guest Experience at Melia Tamarindos, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Meliá Tamarindos guest:
Thank you for your comments posted on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay at our hotel. It is a pleasure to hear that you and your mum fully enjoyed your holidays with us and especially relished your room and the its breathtaking views. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed our food and the nice sparkling cava to start the day. Thank you very much for your comment regarding the service our staff; we try to provide our guests the best experience possible during their holiday among us! As I wrote in the previous comment, we are now adapting the evening programme to the taste of our different guests coming from all over Europe. We hope you will see some more little changes upon your next visit; in the meanwhile, receive sunny regards from all of us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Obviously a lot of people on here have not yet experienced a good 5 star hotel. The hotel I would class as 4 star, the service 3 star and the entertainment I counld'nt rate as I always left after 10 minutes as it was so bad. Although saying this hotel was average I would say value for money it was poor so if you get a cheap offer on this hotel go for it, having paid well over £2000 for 1 week accommodation I did expect much better, I would say not worth much more than £1000. Not a experience I would repeat at that price.

Room Tip: Do not go for anything other than a sea view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RussellC66
Dear Meliá Tamarindos guest:
We would like to thank you for your opinion written on this page after your stay at our hotel. We deeply regret that you were not completely satisfied with our service and entertainment. Every evening we have live music and professional shows performing in the Bar. This programme is alive so that we can introduce changes all the time depending on most of our guests likes. Once again, thank you very much for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you backon a future occasion. Warm regards from Gran Canaria.
Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel is on the cusp of a 4 star level. I am positive that you cannot find a better deal than this hotel. I was impressed with the quality of the room, the service, and the food. I would stay at this hotel again if we saw a few improvements:

Positives:
-Has a pool and is right on the beach. Pool towels are included and they ask that you don't use them on the beach but I think it's hard to enforce that. San Augustin has a great black sand beach that is soft and has very little shells or rocks. There is the occasional nudity because Europeans are just okay with that, but it was only a couple of women doing it.
-You can choose Half-Board or Full-Board, I recommend Half-Board so that you can venture out for lunches on the promenade or at Nitos across the street.
-The food was really good, but can be hit or miss at times. It is buffet style so you can always go back and get something else if it isn't to your liking. The food at breakfast is phenomenal, the dinner meals have chefs available to grill meats and fish and has a chef to cook brick oven pizza. They always have fresh fruit and tasty desserts. The desserts are typical french/euro style and has great ice cream. I see some brits on here complaining that they didn't serve the food to you... but its a buffet people.
-The weather was good even in November. The hotel has lots of places to relax and catch the nice breeze.
-The hotel offers the ability to directly charge drinks and food to your room so that you don't have to pay each time you eat an included meal. I wish more places did this.
-The wait staff and hotel staff are top notch and offer great recommendations on places to visit and eat on the economy.

Negatives
-The beds have a combination box spring and mattress which means you can feel the metal springs.. ouch. They offer a "pillow menu" to get a higher quality pillow when they should offer some sort of latex/foam mattress topper.
-The hotel has a casino but is very small. They have an ATM in the casino but my card didn't work there so I had to go 2 hotels down to find a working ATM.
-Free water is not served at the buffet at dinner so you have to order a drink. They only serve bottled water at dinner time. Tea and coffee are free at breakfast.
-The spa services was hit or miss. I did a lomi-lomi massage and it was incredible but my wife's french manicure was terrible. They left dirt under her nails and didn't even cut the nails right so they all looked uneven.
-They were doing construction when I stayed, so when you were relaxing you had to listen to lots of jack hammers. They should have waited till January or February when there are less guests.

So all in all, there are some negatives but this is a great hotel. I certainly hope that the management listens to the negative comments so that they can boost this hotel to a true 4 star level.

Room Tip: Get a high up room, sea-side, so you can enjoy the breeze and the view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mr_sentinel
Lorena_MeliaT, E-Guest Experience at Melia Tamarindos, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Meliá Tamarindos guest:
Thank you very much for taking your precious time to write such a complete description of your recent stay at our hotel. We are very happy to read that you liked the room, our service and the food. We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed our pool area and our location right next to the beach. We take very good note about the points described on the second part of your review. We would like to express you our most sincere apologies for the inconveniences we may have caused during the necessary scaffolding works, which are by now about to be finished. We would like to thank you once again for all your comments and we truly hope to welcome you very soon. Warmest regards from Gran Canaria!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This luxurious hotel ticked all of our boxes. clean, comfortable, and relaxing - and really, only a few steps from the beach. The rooms were well proportioned, although we were sorry we did not pay the small surcharge to have a sea view - it would have been money well spent. The food was excellent and there was food for every taste.
I'd certainly consider visiting next year.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 8Leslie_v8
Lorena_MeliaT, E-Guest Experience at Melia Tamarindos, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear Meliá Tamarindos guest:
We wish to thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor after your stay at our hotel. We are very pleased to learn that you spent a lovely holiday among us and that you are considering visiting us the coming year. We would also like to express our gratitude for giving us the highest valuation and we all look forward to welcoming you the soonest possible!
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My family and I went here during the Halloween holidays. In my mum and brother's room they found a cockroach. Also in the restaurant we didn't enjoy having to get up between each course to get our own meals when you are trying to relax. My mum told me before we went how good it was at dinner because you had to dress up and wear something formal, when we went all the men had to wear was "long" trousers. I have to say it was a dead let down to the pictures on there website. Also the bedroom I was staying in I hardly got any sleep because the balcony door was loose and i could hear all the traffic outside at night.

Room Tip: Get a room that over looks the sea or a suite and high up.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Gemma-louise P
Dear Meliá Tamarindos guest:
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. We are very sorry that your stay did not completely fulfil your expectations. Concerning the Restaurant service, we must kindly inform you that both, our breakfast and dinner services are on a buffet basis. This is in any touroperator brochure as well as in our web site. We understand it is not the same having to get up every time but our guests are very satisfied because they find a huge variety. We are also very sorry to read that you could not have a proper sleep because of the balcony door. We could have mended it right away. We would like to thank you once again for all your comments and we truly hope to welcome you again very soon. Receive warmest regards from Gran Canaria!
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

This hotel does not deserve the 5 stars it has! I would give not more than3! It is very much run down and is in an urgent need if renovation, which you can notice as soon as you enter the lobby! For us the worst was the service of the staff, absolutely apalling! The waiters at the main restaurant as well as the pool bar/restaurant have no idea about service, at any level whatsoever! Unless you are Spanish speaker, I think they were a bit luckier. The only good thing I can say about the hotel (in light of it's 5 star status) is that the gardens were nice. The pool is a bit dangerous, quite slippery on the edges. On the beach you can find no sunbeds from the hotel, not even paradols! In my book this is absolutely unacceptable! The area of the hotel is also not very nice. It is very quiet, no restaurants and shops, only in s shopping centre about 10 min away or in the nearby resorts! I wouldn't recommend, only the value was OK. I suppose you get what you pay for!

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Vessi7
Lorena_MeliaT, E-Guest Experience at Melia Tamarindos, responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Meliá Tamarindos guest:
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are awfully sorry to read that you did not fully enjoy your holiday among us. We are aware that our hotel is in need of a refreshing, but has nevertheless been kept in good conditions by our Housekeeping and Technical Staff. Concerning our waiter service, we would like to express our surprise for this comment as it is usually the most valued item by our customers. We do apologize if you did experience any uncomfortable situation during your stay regarding this matter. Unfortunately, the sunbeds and parasols at the beach can only be run by the Town Council. We agree with you that San Agustin is a very relaxing area, much quieter than Playa del Inglés and Maspalomas. Actually, most of our regular and also new guests are thrilled with the hotel location. We understand that Playa del Inglés is more vibrant. We are glad you liked our huge garden and we do hope to welcome you again in a future occasion.
UK
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel has everything you need for a relaxing winter break. The pool is a decent size with a lot of sun loungers - though people do bag some of them early in the morning. Access to the beach beyond the pool is very easy and it is a good quality clean beach which is not busy. Sea swimming, important to us, was good.
We came on a bed and breakfast basis and did not regret it. There are a number of reasonable restaurants close by and the buffet based dinner looked a bit busy for our taste. Breakfast was good and haf a decent range of food.
There are a large number of experienced staff working at the hotel which underpins service quality though it can mean they are a little more off hand than a younger group of staff would be though service levels are good. Also the level of English spoken is less than one might expect but this is not really an issue.
I would strongly recommend a sea view room - those at the back are susceptible to road noise as several bus routes go along the road at the back of the hotel.
My only critical comment is the level of supervision around the pool where a noisy large British family group spoilt the enjoyment of others (it was close to half term) as their children ran around the pool. Also the children used the treadmills in the gym and cannot have been over 10 let alone the 16 required by the notice outside. I appreciate this is not that easy to control.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank GlobeTraveller46
Lorena_MeliaT, E-Guest Experience at Melia Tamarindos, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Meliá Tamarindos guest:
Thank you very much for taking your precious time to write a review on Tripadvisor after your stay at our hotel. It is a great pleasure for us to read that our hotel fulfilled all your expectations for a winter “sun” break. We are happy you enjoyed our location, just in front of San Agustín beach, and our breakfast buffet. Thank you for your comment about our experienced staff; we are very sorry to read that you found poor the level of English spoken. We have taken very good note of your comment about supervision of children by the pool and in the gym. The whole Meliá Tamarindos staff looks forward to welcoming you at our hotel for your next “winter sun break”!
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Agustin
#4 of 216 in Maspalomas
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
#7 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to Melia Tamarindos? Share your experiences!