We have just returned (8th Oct 2013) from a 2 week stay at The Gloria Palace San Augustin.
We arrived at around 9pm along with around 24 other people. The reception staff were very efficient and quickly booked us in and then ushered us into the dining room leaving our luggage securely locked away in a side room off the reception area. Everything went well and when we eventually went to our rooms we were delighted with the room facilities, lovely décor, bathroom with double sink, large comfy beds with mattress toppers, TV, desk, chair and comfortable 2 seater settee and lots of drawer and wardrobe space for clothing. A pretty impressive start the holiday.
However there was a downside to our first night. We had requested a room on one of the higher floors but we were given a room on the 2nd floor. Also we were not happy with the ridiculous charge for using the safe in our room. Most good hotels we have used provide this at a modest cost or even a free service. Not here, they wanted €35 for 2 weeks. We complained but the manager wouldn’t budge on the price.
Having said that we had a great holiday and we couldn’t fault the hotel and staff. Everything else was near perfect and I would definitely recommend the hotel.
The Reception area is small for the size of the hotel but the staff seemed to cope pretty well. As well as being on the small side the reception area didn’t seem to have any air conditioning so spending any time there was not a good experience.
Meals in the restaurant were excellent. We had no problems finding something to suit our varied tastes, everything from caviar to mashed potato. The food was well seasoned but if you do like pepper you had better bring your own or find a waiter because there never seemed to be a pepper pot anywhere. Some tables were a little tightly packed together and the manager who selected the restaurant wines needs to be re-deployed. OK if you are all inclusive but not if you are paying for the privilege.
Room service was excellent with daily towel change and regular bedding changes.
The only problem was that the swipe cards for unlocking the room door seemed to fail on numerous occasions. (7 times in 9 days) We eventually had the electronic lock mechanism replaced and that cured the problem.
The evening entertainment was pretty good and varied.
These areas were very good. Plenty of sunbeds – in fact in some areas there were too many, with dozens of beds packed in together with only and inch or less between each one.
Half Board or All Inclusive
We choose half board because we like to get out and about during the day. The San Augustin area is pretty quiet with very little going on locally in the evening which is a good reason to think seriously about the All Inclusive option.
Out and About.
There is a free bus service from the hotel to Playa del Ingles and Maspalomas. In addition there are regular service buses to other resorts. The bus stop is just 10 minutes walk from the hotel so there are plenty of options to explore further afield. The charges on the service buses are very reasonable as are the local taxi cabs.
The local beaches are good but they do have unattractive dark sand. Better sandier beaches can be found further along the coast. The best of which were - Maspalomas, Puerto Rico and Amadores. If you have children then it may be a good idea to avoid Maspalomas beach – apart from the nudist element there seemed to be some pretty strong tidal currents along this stretch of beach. Puerto Rico and Amadores beaches were very safe for bathing but were a 30 minute bus ride from San Augustin.
If you fancy doing something completely different well away from the sea. Take the local service bus from Maspalomas to Tejede. It takes nearly 2 hours to Tejede and the bus fare is about 6 Euros each way. It is an exceptional journey through rugged ravines and over high mountain passes. If you don’t like long white knuckle rides – give it a miss.
If you have read my review this far you might be thinking we had a few adverse comments about this hotel. This is true but we have to remember that the hotel management will no doubt read each comment. They need to know what needs doing if they are to achieve something near perfection. In general all of our small party had a great time at the Gloria Palace and if we ever returned to this area we would come back to the Gloria Palace.
For the management I would say – Get your act together, the cost of a room safe is a complete rip off!!!! Sort it out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in San Agustin, Gloria Palace San Agustin Thalasso & Hotel is a 4-star establishment built in 1989 and fully refurbished in 2007. The spacious hotel has sea views, top quality cuisine, facilities specially designed for families, a thalassotherapy centre and family-oriented, friendly service within an atmosphere of a family business. In 1998 the Talasoterapia Canarias centre was opened, in an emblematic building consisting of more than 6.000M2, to provide health and wellbeing services. A real oasis of comfort. A dream within your reach. You can be sure of fine food and exceptional service at the panoramic a la carte restaurant Gorbea, which specialises in Basque cuisine. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gloria Palace San Agustin Thalasso & Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gloria Palace San Agustin Hotel San Agustin
- Gloria Palace Hotel San Agustin
- San Agustin Gloria Palace
- Gloria Palace San Agustin Thalasso & Hotel Gran Canaria