“Fantastic stay in Faro Jandia !!”

MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Morro del Jable
Reviewed June 23, 2011

We are just literally back from a weeks stay in this hotel and just had to write my review immediately - the hotel was fabulous.

Like some of the other reviewers I had my reservations about this hotel after reading some of the comments on trip advisor but I am pleased to say that our stay was superb.

The hotel was well laid out in a circular format with all rooms facing onto the pool area - the pool was never full to its capacity of 82 persons- we were lucky if we saw 20-25 in there on a daily basis. You can book a seaview room for an extra charge but if you do this then remember to pack your binoculars as although the beach is only 200m over the road its still a stretch to see if from the room unaided !! There is a rule of no reserving sunbeds but some people clearly thought this rule did not apply to them - but there are plenty of sunbeds to go round so dont panic. Even if you wanted to just enjoy the view/sit on your balcony there was no intrusion of noise from the pool and surrounding area - it was all very quiet and all guests seemed to be there for the same reason - total relaxation.

Rooms - we had a standard room on the 2nd floor and this was very spacious, clean and tidy. The aircon was a bit on the limp side and would say this could probably do with a complete service to bring it back upto its full speed - you are issued with 2 room cards and each card activates the electricty when you go in the room, so we tended to leave one card in the eletricity slot all day while we were out so when we got back our room was fairly cool. Shower was over the bath but very powerful and quite funky how the shower head changed colour during your shower !

Location - located on the main road between an amusement arcade and a jewellery shop but as someone else had helpfully already put this on trip advisor I wasn't too shocked and as the other reviewer pointed out - once you went through the main entrance this was soon forgotten. There was no noise from the outside world, it was all very tranquil and quiet.

Being situated close to other bars etc could actually be a blessing in disguise for some poeple in the evenings if you want to escape from the hotel evening entertainment, which if you take it at face value can be mildly amusing ! It was nice to walk out of the hotel over the road and be able to stroll along the promenade of an evening to enjoy the lovely early evening weather and to walk off some of the lovely food they serve you in the hotel.

Food - a great selection of food available to suit all tastes - my partner is vegetarian and often struggles with food abroad but here there was always a good selection available, alot of fresh vegetables and cold buffet - with at least one main hot vegeterian dish available each night: quiche, lasagne, moussaka. For the fish/meat eaters a huge choice available including chef busy cooking fresh fish and meat steaks on the griddles - then served straight on to your plate.

Staff - all courteous and friendly and were clearly there to help make your stay there as plenty as they could do. Although this is predominantly a german guest staying hotel all other guests were friendly and gave a morninng "hola" as you passed them on your way to breakfast.

All in all a pleasant stay in a lovely location - well worth the 2 hour transfer from the hotel to get here.

Be warned though the weather here can get extremely hot and we were facing temperatures off over 40 degrees when we checked out - but this is obviously beyond the control off the hotel staff - but thats why we travel abroad - to enjoy the sunshine !!!

Highly recommended hotel and location...enjoy your stay all those that are booked in !!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Norwichcitygirl

Reviewed May 26, 2011

Very warm welcome to hotel for our 3rd stay. Many of the holidaymakers are the same as the last 3 years, so that must mean something.
Room big enough for 3.
On the flat, 5 mins walking distance to beach. Excellent Spa facilities. Bars restaurants and shops on doorstep.
Staff are always polite and work hard so you can enjoy stay.
Food exceptional.
Entertainment getting better.
Downside! Hotel Manager is not the friendliest, and deputy manager has only time for German guests. They should both learn some english.
Most German guests are very nice but you still get a few who do not have any manners when it comes to queueing.

3  Thank Lintzel52
Reviewed May 25, 2011

I agree with many of the reviews here. We had a lovely stay here. We were travelling with our 2 year old daughter so the main negative for us is that although fairly child safe and provides adequate facilities for young children, the hotel is not ideally suited to families due to the lack of other children to play with.

Pros:
- Thoughtfully designed hotel, very attractive with some stylish communal areas
- Good facilities
- Friendly and attentive staff - gave lots of warm attention to my daughter who was in her element as a result
- Spacious rooms and adhered to our request for interconnecting ground floor rooms and a cot
- Lovely, peaceful pool area
- Gorgeous and well designed free spa - never saw more than 5 other guests using it at once and once had it to myself for one hour
- Main pool is lightly heated (in May) so refreshing without feeling cold
- Well priced drinks and lunch menu - comparable, or cheaper than, local restaurants.
- Excellent location - near centre of resort with plenty of shops and restuarants and 10 min walk to beach front
- Lovely breakfast with cooked full english (frankfurters not english sausages), large cold continental selection, selection of breads and pastries, delicious made to order omlettes and waffles.
- Delicious range of starters, salads, breads and deserts at dinner
- Beach was great - very long and wide with fine golden sand going into the gently sloping seabed, clean sea with gentle waves, plenty of well spaced out chairs and parasols for hire, beach bars, tonnes of space for non bed-hirers.

Neutral:
- Few english guests (if that is an issue for you). Personally we found that to be fine - all the other guests were courteous, friendly and toddler tolerent.
- Few families and children (probably a big pro for some travellors!). Majority of guests were 50+. Again, all friendly and gave our daughter plenty of indulgent smiles and endearments.

Cons:
- In room fridges/mini bars were rubbish. Drinks barely cold at all. I suspect fridge turns off when room key removed. Certainly not cold enough to safely store a childs milk or perishable foods in. We had to buy milk daily and ask for an ice bucket every 8 hours.
- Charged full price for tiny toddler sized portions at lunch
- Slightly limited and eclectic selection of main course options at dinner.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Alicia55
Reviewed May 23, 2011

All of the staff were a credit to the management of the hotel. The reception staff, the cleaners, the animation team, the waiters, etc..... All were welcoming and always helpful.
The rooms were spotless although a little dated. Definitely not 4 star, the curtains were hanging down in one corner, the beds although very comfortable looked quite old and worn and there was a repaired crack in the glass on the balcony. They did however have a very funky shower head which changed colour when in use!
The food was good and there was plenty of it.
The entertainment was varied and most would have not have got to the next round of "Britains got talent". (Not that I watch it)!!
The swimming pool was very pleasant and there were always plenty of fresh pool towels to hand...There was some reserving of sunbeds, but there was always plenty spare during our stay...This may be a problem during high season.
We would not travel with Thomas Cook again as the alloted seat space is absolutely abysmal, the worst we have experienced.
The beach and the sea were lovely.........Nothing much else to do though on this island.It is purely a sun/sea/beach holiday.
This end of the island mainly caters for german tourists, but this was okay with us as we like german beer and german people...

2  Thank lfaithlessfanatic
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I read some previous reviews and thought we may have booked the wrong hotel. BUT not so. The hotel was EXCELLENT. On arrival at reception we were greated with a glass of champagne. Our room was 433 - what a fabulous view over the pool and beyond to the beach. FABULOUS. Our travel agent must have told them we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. We returned back to our room one night to find a bottle of champagne cooling and some fresh fruit ! FANTASTIC. ALL the staff at the hotel are great - we didnt have any problems whatsoever. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to anyone.

2  Thank Philbrook
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I spent 2 nice weeks in the hotel in March 2010, so I reordered last May another 2 weeks for this March. In short: the hotel was as before BUT the treatment I got by the reception chef was something totally new and unexpected. Instead of taking account of my order he relocated me into the darkest corner of the hotel.When I vigorously protested against this
he changed to being aggressive and started to treat my like a dirty dog. I have never in my 80 year long life been treated so degradingly. This applies only to that single man, everyone else was like the year before and I received the next day a proper room. I never received any apology for the horrible treatment.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Johan30
Reviewed April 1, 2011

I will start this review by saying there is nothing wrong with this hotel as such. The facilities are very good , it is very clean and the rooms are spacious and comftorble. There were one or two small niggles such as staff attitude at the poolside snack bar and a shortage of staff at the main bar at times but nothing that would spoil your holiday, they even sent a bottle of Cava to our room because it was my birthday.
My real problem was the attitude of some of the other guests. I get the impression that they really do not like having English people there and on more than one occasion were openly hostile and rude towards us, dont get me wrong, we are both aproaching our 60s and hold down very resposible jobs, hardly your english lager lout, so we did not expect to be treated like this. After 3 days I contacted a rep at another hotel ( via having to ring back to England ) and asked if we could be transfered to a different hotel or location but was told it would cost over 400 Euros so we decided to stay and just keep away from the hotel as much as possible and just use it as a base.
It seems a great shame that what should have been a lovely weeks break in the sun at a good hotel should have been spoilt by such an oppresive atmosphere. I would say that I do not blame the hotel for this as I believe these sorts of events are not in thier control but it would cerntainly stop us from going back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Sol Jandia Mar Apartamentos
Sol Jandia Mar Apartamentos
#5 of 16 in Morro del Jable
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura

Been to MUR Hotel Faro Jandia & Spa? Share your experiences!