“Disappointing but still a good holiday”

and 1 more site!
TUI MAGIC LIFE Fuerteventura
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Morro del Jable
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Disappointing but still a good holiday”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We booked this due to visiting the same Club Magic Life chain in Egypt and to be honest I think we were expecting the same standard here as we got there - this was never going to happen.

This for us, is clearly overall a 3 star All Inclusive whereas it's sister hotel in Egypt was most definately 5 star.

The Bad Points

The food choice here was horrendous for a fussy eater (I am the fussiest ever). I literally lived on Cheese Toasties which I made myself in the morning buffet as at night, I was sick fed up of the same selection of food. Even my boyfriend who would try any food, was getting fed up after a week. Not a huge amount to chose from if you've been to a good All Inclusive before, but if you haven't, you'll probably think there was a large amount to chose from. The food was very tastless and a poor selection of desserts which were the same every night for a week. Some extremelly random choices as well as it is mostly a German hotel and alot of the meat looked like it was ready to walk back to the table with you. Very poor show although the breakfasts were the best selection.

The "Resort"

Absolutely nothing to do outside your hotel other than go on the bus to the neighbouring resort which was slightly liver and at least had pubs, shops but strangely, not a massive amount of restaurants. There was only 1 British pub there but that was a great little place up the stairs where you could go if you wanted a nice Sunday Dinner or some Home Comforts.

The Other Guests

Don't have a problem with other nationalities however everything was geared towards the Germans and Scandinavians. The entertainment especially. At night there was literally nothing to do other than listen to German music, German TV channels in the bar area or German karaoke. Also, alot of the people don't have any manners when it comes to queuing but all nationalities (English guests being the worst). The hotel is also definately geared towards the older generation too. I think we were the youngest couple there and my boyfriend is 34.

The Cats

Be warned there's cats everywhere and they even have their own little shade hut (which is a good idea). However, they lurked about the rooms at night and one ran into our room and went under the bed when we opened the door. Getting it out was a nightmare and obviously I don't really fancy a stray cat running around our bedding so be careful of this!

Pool Table

Great to see lovely, well kept pool tables, however 2 Euros a game in a "luxury" All Inclusive is excessive.

Entertainment

Absolutely horrendous - I'd give the theatre shows a miss even when there is nothing else to do.

The Good Points

Although the room was dated, it was massive and had a fantastic view of the pool. The balcony was also a great size. The room was spotless as was the bathroom but the decor was a bit outdated - This however is irrelevant as the room itself was cleaned every day and we received fresh towels, also, every day.

The drink choice was also limited and no variety of cocktails like we had got at the sister hotel in Egypt. They also never used proper cocktail glasses. The quality however was actually quite good for local brands but very, very strong so keep an eye on how much they're pouring in!

The Thomson Reps

Lovely and were always available if needed.

The Common Areas

Very well kept and luxurious - more like the Cub Magic Life brand.

Bascially you make a holiday yourself - it's a nice hotel, not so nice food but clean and really that's all you need for a good holiday. If you've booked it already then you'll go and probably enjoy yourself - if you haven't, I'd have another look around before settling for this.

PS - Take a jacket for night time (we went in early March though) as it was extremelly cold and windy!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Staffordshire
Reviewed June 3, 2012

16th May to 26th May 2012

Travelling with my wife, our daughter and her friend, we arrived at the Magic life Hotel in Fuerteventura hoping for a lot but expecting little,this was after all, booked on a "late deal" with Thomsons Holidays. Walking to our room through the beautiful gardens, via the map supplied, we arrived at our rooms (next door to one another).
The rooms are spacious and clean, we had a view of the pool (we were in block 11) and the sea in the distance, a good start and our initial expections were surpassed.
A good start, although it wasn't all "magic".
The door entry system (swipe card type) went wrong not once but twice, two service calls were required, they made things better but that door would have many a verbal hammering for the rest of the holiday (as it would take three or four attempts to recognise the magnetic strip on the card). What really scores the plus marks for this hotel hotel is the all inclusive, you really don't need to spend any additional money (except for the trips out).
There were bottles of wine on our table, water, beer on self serve taps (in addition to bar service), along with soft drinks, snacks and ice scream. You can get cocktails from the bars,
which gave good measures (although some of the bar tenders did not seem to pay attention to who and when people arrived at the bar, at times we felt "invisible" and needed to say something!).
The majority of people staying at the hotel were German, with whom I got on very well with and made some good friends.
Our Daughter was having her 21st birthday during the holiday and we had arranged for a Birthday cake and a bottle of champagne to be given to her during a meal on her birthday at one of the a la carte restaurantes (the Argentinian), this was "forgotten" by the hotel,
we were very disappointed for our daughter, we did get an apology and the cake and Champagne were given to her two days later, but the moment had gone! I have summarised the main pros and cons of the holiday below.
One thing that did suprise me was that the a la carte restaurants were not open every night, in that I mean that there was only one open each evening,which could only be booked the day before, so if you did not book early the previous day you would not get a reservation.
Overall, although there were a few lows, it was a lovely break that was enjoyed by all.
I would reccommend this hotel as there were more positives than negatives.

Pros.

Clean rooms, clean complex.
Good food.
Bottles of wine and water.
Self serve options food and drink.
Plenty of Sunbeds.
All inclusive right up to the moment we left.

Cons

Very windy
Cold swimming pools
Poor access to the beach (unsuitable for anyone with a disability).
Limited a la carte restaurant availabliity.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank StaffyGlobetrotters
Essex England
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I don't know what the negative reviews were thinking, we thought it was great! Clean, good food, plenty of variety, drinks were good, entertainment was good. We fed the chipmunks on the beach which were really sweet and quite tame. Our room block 12 was really nice, large and with a large bathroom with a nice lot of shelf space to put toiletries. My only gripe was that the air conditioning wasn't that great. The pools are lovely and when we arrived Mid May 2012 one seemed to be heated but then it wasn't which was a shame as they could feel a bit cold! We had good weather albeit a couple of cloudy days but be careful as you can still burn. They also have a cat sanctuary which is a lovely idea where they can be fed, most are tame but the black one wasn't! Lovely gardens and pool areas. Lots of exercise for those who want it. My husband did the bike tours and really enjoyed them but they are really for those experienced cyclists not like me! I had my nails painted in the spa and she did a good job. Watch out for the naturists they are in the spa area and on the beach but you get used to them! Free internet access for 20 min sessions available from reception. Yes the location is a bit isolated but we didn't want to venture out anyway and just wanted to chill and do our own thing. Would return.

Room Tip: Block 12 had a nice view over the pool areas from the 1st floor room we had
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SamEssexEngland
England
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I've just spent a week at Club Magic with a friend and his 8 yr old son. We had a great time, and thought the whole club was spotlessly clean, and staff (with only a couple of exceptions) were friendly, and couldn't do enough for you. Infact a lot of the entertainments team are from Eastern European countries and went out of the way to speak with you to improve their English.
The grounds are lovely - lots of attractive landscaping, flowering plants, palms etc, and really well maintained. We really liked the style of the place. There's even a canopied area for some rescued cats which live there and are well looked after by the staff. You see the cats wandering around, and most are happy to be approached.
There was a wide variety of food, which was mostly to a very good standard - just the occasional dishes (such as spag bol, beef stew) which were over salted.
The place only seemed about half full, and there are masses of sunbeds around all the pools, so we never felt crowded, but perhaps this would change during June-August as it gets busier. I'd say British people made up about 50%, and apparently Thomsons are actively recommending Club Magic to increase the number of Brits staying there.
The beach is accessible from two alternative sets of steps, and once you climb down it's lovely, with soft sand, warm sea, and gentle slope from waters edge even to around 40 ft into the water, so it's easy for paddling & swimming. However I wouldn't recommend either route to anyone who's a little infirm or needs wheel chair assistance.
There are plenty of activities if you want to be active - water volleyball, step classes, tennis, football, beach volleyball etc, but we didn't take part. Most of them are free, but you do have to pay 1-2 euros for the pool tables, and you can only get change from reception.
Our room was lovely, spacious, and we arrived at 11pm so having the sofa already made up as a bed (for my friends son) was a nice touch. When our room cards didn't work first time we had to haul back to reception to get them sorted, and within 5 minutes of returning to the room two smartly presented maintenance staff knocked on the door to make sure we were ok. That was impressive. The water pressure in the bath & shower was amazing, no matter what time of day or night, and was rediculously hot if you turned it all the way round! I don't know how they managed to maintain that with so many accomodation blocks. Our room (block 22) was cleaned well every day, and was next to the sports pool, so quiet at night.
We didn't use the kids club, but saw other children being looked after by the staff, and they always seemed to have a good time. Some people didn't like the evening entertainment, but to avoid language problems it was just dance orientated. We thought it was pretty good but it depends what you're looking for.
We only had one cloudy day, and the winds were fairly constant, but it was still really warm. None of the pools were heated, so were a bit nippy at first, but generally ok once you were in. Great for cooling off if you got too hot! Like other reviewers have said, the sea was warmer.
Overall we had a really nice time, and I would recommend Club Magic if you're looking for a relaxing holiday, and want the option of other activities to keep family members amused.
Well done Club Magic and staff.

5 Thank EnglandMusiclover
cottingham
Reviewed May 27, 2012

I traveled with three other friends on our annul girls holiday ages ranging from 40-60yrs, one of our friends had been 6 weeks earlier and loved it so we were excited to get there. We were not disappointed, from arriving at about 9pm to leaving a week later we had no complaints, the grounds were lovely and well maintained, the maintenance staff were painting the steps and walls outside so everything was fresh. It was the best all inclusive I have been on and because you could get a drink any time from morning to night no restrictions we never saw anyone getting out of hand. I thought the entertainment team were very good and what we all liked is that after the show finished in the theater they all came over to the Plaza bar and spoke to everyone young or old. They also got people on the dance floor and everyone had a really good time, the bar staff were also very good always a smile especially Juan Michele he would be serving someone and taking the next order but always had a smile. I cannot understand the comments about the Germans who easily out numbered the Brits because all the ones we spoke to (yes they spoke English) were very nice and all of the children were well behaved, unlike some of our family's . I agree with all the comments about the food it was wonderful so much choice and very well cooked. I certainly would return and so would my friends. I am even thinking of returning with my husband in September for his special birthday.

Room Tip: we stayed in room 11324 opposite the poolbar , third floor so wonderful views,(which we payed extra...
2 Thank paulettaCottingahm
London
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We visited in March 2012 for 11 nights. We were in luck with the weather and had around 25 degrees most days. We were travelling with our two yr old daughter. All in all there is very little to fault. Great food/drink, lovely location, stunning grounds. Only one pool is heated so in March the others were very cold, but it was ok. The rooms was spacious, also our daughter was sick (not food-related!) and the staff were helpful cleaning up, changing sheets, calling doctor. There were far more activities on offer than we could be bothered to do, but if you're looking for a sporty holiday I think this would suit you.

Two reasons I wouldn't give 5 stars: they need to invest in some new bedding. It was all clean, but quite worn. Also, I wish they had proper fresh fruit juice in these hotels, but this was no different to many other all inclusive resorts i've been to.

Room Tip: We were in block 11, and paid for a sea view. We overlooked the pool, which was lively during the da...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kov
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Having visited Magic Life previously , I knew what to expect. This visit was really a sporty / boosy holiday break with a mate as we both hit a pretty significant birthday birthday at around the same time ! For sure the free flowing cocktails from the lively plaza bar in the evening did perhaps hinder my tennis progression and my mates diving enthusiasm, but that was probably to be expected when two blokes go on a 'jolly' of a holiday together ! Magic Life Fuerteventura obviously has a lot of beach / water / wind sport opportunities which my mate is very into, while I could happily part roast on a tennis court, and try to stick my leg in my ear in an attempt to reduce the expanding waistline by attending stretching, pilates activities etc. It's a fun safe environment where you feel comfortable visiting as a couple, a family or with a mate, which is really cool.
The food was up to it's usual high standard, and having having stayed previously many of the staff recognise you and are always very pleased if you choose to re visit. We could have chosen to go somewhere a bit cheaper, but when we talked over the g'teed climate, good quality food & drink, and the fact I familiar with the layout and facilities, really it was a no brainer. Although living much closer to Gatwick, it was well worth the extra effort to fly from Luton for the savings flying from that airport offered -
Even my economically minded mate agreed he'd probably eaten and drunk more than the holiday cost ! Please don't think this is a boosy or rowdy hotel though, just more one you can be comfortable to visit whatever sort of holiday break you are seeking.

Room Tip: If you are going on a family holiday maybe choose a block on the left of the complex if possible as...
2 Thank PoliteTourist
Hotel Riu Palace Jandia
Hotel Riu Palace Jandia
#2 of 16 in Morro del Jable
Melia Gorriones Fuerteventura

Been to TUI MAGIC LIFE Fuerteventura? Share your experiences!