“hills and stairs and more hills and stairs”
Review of Club Santa Ponsa

Club Santa Ponsa
Ranked #7 of 35 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed September 18, 2013

2 fellas run the bar and they do a good job spot on .. food seems more for the germans or dutch and was a bit monotonous.. rooms clean and tidy although we had to move from first room as it ponged of damp .. pleased we moved it flooded few days later ........ entertainment ... well never watched any defo more aimed at kids ....value for money defo ... i read loads about the stairs but thought hey it be ok ,,, well they forgot to mention the hills then stair to get to the strip .. killer if u wanted to go out there was a mini bus once a hour but if it was full tough and it stopped at 6 ....hard to say who it would suit becos of the location stairs and hills yet the entertainment was good for kids ...... would i go again ... only if they moved it down the hill so guess the answer would be no ..........

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed here in August and had a brilliant time. The staff were really friendly and always spoke to you. The food was good. Our view from our balcony was stunning. Our room was more an apartment and huge with a kitchen area, dining area and separate bedroom it was spotlessly clean. Reception rang our room to let us know what time check out was a few days before leaving and to confirm our transfer times. The staff were so helpful. The hotel is up very high but they do run a people carrier regular if you don't want to walk down to the beach/ town, the height gives fabulous views of the bay. The only negative I have with this hotel is no air con in the rooms which did become uncomfortable at night the windows have lockable shutters so the windows could be left open so it helped a little. The clean hotel ad friendly staff made up for this. Santa Ponsa was a nice place ad would defiantly return. Kids entertainment was also very good.

Room Tip: Request a room on the same level as the bar or restaurant.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Helen Emery- M
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Myself and 7 friends stayed at Club Santa Ponsa for a long weekend to celebrate my hen weekend. The apartments were spacious and clean. There was no air con which may have been a problem in the summer but ceiling fans were good. The staff were all very friendly and accommodating. The food was good but we all agreed that we would probably have got bored if we'd been there longer. The alcohol as part of the all inclusive deal was of a good standard but I'd avoid the pre-made cocktails!
The pool was nice but there's a huge problem with loungers being reserved. I arrived at the pool before 8.30 and got literally got the last few sunbeds! Towels were left on loungers and people didn't come to the pool until after lunchtime. I think the staff should be enforcing their "no reserving" rule.
The views from the hotel are amazing as its up high. This means that you have to walk up and down 170 stairs to get to the beach/shops/clubs. This was fine for us but may not suit everyone. The hotel do run a shuttle bus though.
All in all a really good hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gillianbeattie
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Just returned from a 9 night stay at the Club Santa Ponsa. My holiday did get off to a bad start as the hotel was overbooked and I was moved to the Rey Don Jaime for one night. This hotel was not to my taste and so effectively I lost over a day of my holiday. Taxis were provided from and too the other hotel and I returned the day after, although I couldn't check in to my room until around 1 pm. They did upgrade me from a studio to an apartment with a sea view, which softened the blow somewhat. I had been in contact several times with the hotel about getting a good room with a sea view, so I expected this anyway. I just find it annoying that it seems regular policy that the hotel is overbooked. The same thing has happened to many other people.

Anyway that's my gripe over with. The hotel is situated on a pretty steep hillside, which means lots of steps and a pretty hard walk back up the hill from Santa Ponsa. I did it once and got a taxi back to the hotel after that. Once was enough!! The upside to it's location is the stunning views of Santa Ponsa Bay from the bar & restaurant area, pool and from many of the rooms. The Square is about a 5 minute walk down the hill from the hotel and is great for live entertainment, bars and restaurants.

My room (Number 3) was right over the bar area and was a spacious aprtment with a balcony and fantastic view of the bay. I did get a bit of noise from the kiddy's disco in the evening, but this didn't bother me that much. The hotel has no air con, but my apartment had two big ceiling fans, which I found more than adequate, but a little noisy. I had a fridge and a great flat screen TV with more than average English channels. The bedroom had two single beds which where very comfortable, although a double would have been better. There was cooking facilities if required and plenty of wardobe space. The cleaners where excellent and always supplied plenty of towels. The bathroom was small and the shower leaked through the curtain. Pretty standard for Majorca I suppose.

The bar area opened at 10am and the coffee machines where a bit of a life saver after a heavy nights drinking and missed breakfast. The coffee was very good. The bar is a bit understaffed at busy times and I sometimes had to wait a bit to get served, usually because the guy on the bar was collecting glasses. To be honest the staff work extremely hard and so I didn't let this bother me that much. There is a large seating area and a small stage inside for kid's activities from 7-9 in the evening and then other acts or kareoke later on. The bar served until midnight. They had Estrella on tap, which I found OK but a bit gassy. The red wine was very drinkable for AI. The bar opens up to a terraced area with tables and chairs and then further steps down to the pool area. The terrace was great during the day to sit with a coffee and read or just take in the view. I found it a bit busy in the evning and hard to get a seat. I found that the german and french holidaymakers tended to commandere this area and reserve their usual seats early on.

The pool area was very nice with good quality sunbeds. There wasn't really enough beds, but they are a bit limited for space. There is a quieter small pool at the back of the hotel, where kids were not allowd, but these sunbeds also tended to be snapped up pretty quickly.

The food at this hotel was generally pretty good for AI and only once did I struggle for something to eat that I liked. The fish was excellent with plenty of choice of chicken, pork,pasta, potatoes, chips, rice and salads. breakfast was pretty much what you'd expect with the usual choice of eggs, soggy bacon, wierd sausages and a slow motion toaster. It was OK though. The coffee in the restaurant was dire and they had no fresh orange juice, which is always annoying. You could also get water on tap, beer and wine. I did find I wanted to eat out a bit more in the evening toward the end of the holiday as AI food can get a bit boring after a while.

All in all A very nice small hotel with plenty of character with superb views. Excellent value for money. I would probably have given it another star if it wasn't for the hotel being overbooked

Room Tip: Room Number three directly over the bar area has a great view of the bay
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Mark W
Reviewed September 15, 2013

For a three star hotel is this a nice hotel. Good range of alcoholic drinks although the pre mixed cocktails are not nice. Good range and choice of food. I was particularly impressed with the range for breakfast. I am a vegetarian so struggled with lunch and dinner items as only a few bits were labelled. Meat is obvious but pastas, salads, quiche and pizza needed labels to see if they contained any meat. That said everything I ate was fine and I didn't go hungry. Very pretty setting up on a hill between two bays. Not far to walk into town down the hill. Two pools. One hiding round the side of the restaurant was so quiet. Lovely and relaxing. Pretty terrace outside restaurant to eat al fresco and a pleasant terrace by the bar. All staff were helpful and friendly. Room was huge and had lots of storage space and a full sized fridge. A good choice for a cheap short break. One criticism was that the maid only changed the towels, didn't make the bed which I expected. But easy enough for me to do.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Billy_WizzKent
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 4 night break in Club Santa Ponça and have to say i was very impressed. The upsides most definately outway the downsides, the food is the best I have ever had in Mallorca and Estrella Damm on tap was very welcome. My room was overbooked when i arrived however i was quickly booked into a 4 star hotel for the night, taxi to and from and then upgraded to a magnificent suite with views, true the room should have been available but the speed of service and the way i was treated was first class. The steps can get a little slippy if there is a big storm so be aware of that but i am hoping to return soon to Santa Ponça and club Santa Ponça is where i will be looking to stay.
The walk to the hotel is up a hill but if you dont want to walk up the hill a taxi is only around 3 euros from the centre, it is worth the hilly location as the views are magnificent. I would most definitely recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank TIPTON
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had a very nice 9 night stay at Club Santa Ponsa at the end of August/start of September. My Studio apartment was right at the back of the complex, down lots of steps. This didn't really bother me too much and had the advantage of being near the back entrance/exit of the site which cut out the hill to get to reception. (It's a set of steps behind the children's play area, or on the way back look for a wooden door marked No 12).

The room was fine, with a bit of a sea view if you squint through the trees in the right way. If you're thinking of a studio apartment bear in mind you'll be sharing the room with the fridge, which makes a bit of a racket and can take some getting used to when you're trying to get to sleep. The fridge is handy for keeping chilled water available, and although there is no kettle there is a hob and a pan, and cups, so you can make a cuppa.

The ceiling fan was effective and while not quite as good as air con it kept the temperature bearable. The TV offered BBC1,2,ITV,CBeebies, BBC4 and CNN in English.

I had an issue with the balcony doors not locking securely, which was fixed almost instantly upon reporting it to reception, which I thought was impressive.

The food was great, probably the best I've had in an AI hotel. Lots of choice and often Mallorquin produce was on offer. Breakfast was pretty much standard fare although there was some variation from day to day.

The dining room was very laid back - nobody taking your room number when you entered or telling you which table to sit at. I didn't experience the usual solo traveller headache of somebody taking your table when you go to get your pudding; that may just be because it's a quieter time of year and there was less demand for tables. My only complaint about the food is that after the Breakfast service stops at 10am there is no food available until 1pm when lunch opens. As most of the resort's night life doesn't really get going until about midnight I missed the hotel breakfast on several occasions and would have welcomed some form of snacks being on offer in the late morning, as in most AI properties.

The bar staff were overworked, and there was frequently a queue forming whilst the lone barman was collecting glasses. Because the terrace is separated from the pool they're happy to give you a real glass rather than plastics if you're sitting on the terrace. The beer on offer is Estrella Damm.

Overall, the hotel was great - if only it wasn't so out of the way!

Room Tip: If you're at the back of the complex take advantage of the other routes on and off the site to a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo