“Brilliant for a 3*”
Review of Pirates VIllage

Pirates VIllage
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed September 19, 2013

So, I'm just back from 10 days at pirates village. I'm one of these people who read every word of every review on the place I'm going on holiday before I go. However, I would urge people to strongly strongly disregard the negative reviews on this hotel. For a 3* you can't really complain. Location is fantastic close to magaluf and only 30-40 mins to Palma. Santa ponsa is lovely with plenty touristy shops and lovely little cafes. There's a large strip of Irish bars just past the beach! 'Bar code' is brilliant for going with the kids!! Anyway back to pirates village. Although the decor is amazing, it adds little value to the stay as the majority is in the front outside the hotel so unless your outside u don't see it! The pool area however is superb, with plenty of different depths and slides sizes! Suitable for all ages. My son who hates water got more confident daily! The staff are all pleasant and super super helpful!! The bar men need some kind of reward, they work such long hours in that heat from 8-9am all the way to 11-12pm, but they stay smiling and patient and always say hello to the little ones! The food is variable, however some nights only just barrable. Some of the meats can be fatty and the fish boney sometimes the chips are a little cold, but again... It's a 3* so it's to be expected. The rooms are suitable for what they are used for! Base camp! Small but big enough and kept clean. Boring plain and slightly uncomfortable, but hello your on holiday in Mallorca, get outside and enjoy the sun and then the room won't effect you!! The only biggest annoyance of mine on the holiday way the mini disco/evening entertainment!! All absolutely amazing, varied and interesting kept the kids entertained and 'smelly jelly belly Ellie' has so much energy it's scary. However the location of this, whoever thought It would be a good idea to let kids get crazy, hyped up and wild rubbing lose and free right next to an open swimming pool is insane! As a mum of such a young child who is not able to swim I couldn't really enjoy myself an relax as I was always in edge about what he was doing, where is he why can't I see him! Not really a suitable place, so advise for the manager would be, buy some sorta fence to out around the edge of the pool... Or move the location of your evening entertainment! Would make for a much more relaxing stay! Overall we all had a blast really and the weather was fantastic! Marine land and the aquairium are worth a visit, kids love it. And if you get an evening to yourselves, pirates reloaded in magaluf is absolutely amazing... Best show I've seen ever! Anyway enjoy your holibobs guys and as I mentioned don't let the negative reviews on here get to you... The hotel really is what you make of it!!!!

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank JordanRae

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We are just home from pirates village. My 7yr old grandaughter loved it and wants to go back next year we also had a great time would recommend this holiday. The staff were brilliant they work so hard. Mini disco and shows every night loved the pool invasion. Overall great holiday.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank nippy50
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel has it great points and not so great points, but none bad!! My mam, myself and my son stayed all inclusive Aug-Sept for 1 week, kids entertainment was fab, my child never joins a kids club and did here, the secuirty was great and the twice he went I was able to catch a few rays for an hour or so.

Rooms are what you would expect for 3*, if you want better go for a higher star hotel, they provide what you need and the cleaners do a fab job with sheets chamged 3 times a week and towels changed 5.

This hotel with a few tweaks could acheive higher ratings, food wasnt the best ive had and I pleased I was only all inclusive here for one week but you could get something but not always warm, however all staff friendly.

Entertainment staff work hard and even if it wasnt my cup of tea it kept the littleman entertained so had to be a bonus.

Pool and slides are fab, but a 2metre pool that is based around kids had me a bit worried but then thats me, I would go back to this hotel but on a self catering basis and would reccommend to anyone with kids who want them entertained.

Room Tip: Higher room away from stage if you want to sleep before 12
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle K

Just back from a week in the Pirates village. 5to12 Sep
The goods things

First of all I can say if you have children they will have a grate time, The animation team are really good and work very hard for the kid and us. Kids club from 10.30-18.00, mini disco most evenings from 20.30 and then some sort of a show at 22.00 parrot shows, acrobatics magic show Spanish style then a pirates vs magic its ok just some during our week and every few days there's a mid afternoon "pirates show" at the pool. very very good! on morning the pirates knocked at our door came in and had a bit of fun with us, few photos of me in my boxers
The pool area is good again for the kids with different slides and water features and different depths for the older kids and adults . The exterior of the hotel is very good as you can see from picture's, and when we got our rooms to find out we were in the front of hotel at the pirates face we though we ware very lucky but until you try to go asleep you know why. its not that grate..the pool area and all public areas downstairs have been renovated and are 4*. The apartments have not been renovated yet. They are clean and basic but need updating. At the mo 3*-ish. I don't think they have to be themed but new furnishings and a lick of paint would make such a difference. We were in the block over the reception and the bad thing I would say is the noise level could not sleep at all You have the main road behind your bedroom and its noisy all night and in the morning, and the pool area under your living room. The shows were outdoors some nights and very loud till 23.00. You can cope if your kids are a little older but mine are young so a bit hard to get sleep. Then you have the lights outside the room to light up the front of the hotel and the curtains are not grate they let in the light so had to improvise with some blankets Soundproofing of some sorts would be good with the renovations. They have put new flat screens into the apartments and a great thing for us was that there were lots of "English" channels. We had a very rainy cold day so at least sitting in with a 10 and 3 year old they ware entertained with a few cartoon channels and when they went to sleep we had a few BBC channels, movie channels, USA drama channels etc to entertain us!
Now to food. We went self catering . The breakfast had a good choice...rashers, sausages, eggs, continental choices, fruit, breads and juices, teas and coffee choices but not that grate only eat here once.The choices on the menu from the snack bar were dismal! In fact from the whole menu,. ( a green salad, chips, a burger or a ham and cheese toastie to name a few )and the food at the bar was CRAP chips were hard chicken was rough and nuggets were rubber so had to eat out most days at pool and I like to stay round the pool for most of the day for the kids You'd be fairly bored of the snack menu after a day or 2! The difference in price between self catering and all incl was about EUR250 for the week but so glad we didn't go all inc would of felt robbed
Location.....its in a great location. 5 mins walk to the beach, small supermarket across the street, big supermarket 3 min walk, more restaurants and bars within 5 mins walk and the "strip area" is a 10 min stroll away.
Overall a great holiday but once they match the apartment standard to the pool/public areas and do something about the food at the snack bar and some of the staff 1 or 2 in particular at bar this place will be 4*
lifeguard's are grate two round the pool from 10am to 7pm
sunbeds are locked at 7pm and opened back up at about 9am so people can get start to q up for the beds at this time grate idea
entertainment staff are grate and give it 110%
kids club run all day and staff are well educated
Now the bad things

rooms over reception a big no no to nosey and if you complain they can move you to another hotel down the road
food was very bad at the snack bar for our week stay so don't go all inc and local beer is cruzcampo very bad
need more bins round the pool area as when sun beds are locked up you can see the state of the place from people round the pool all day and the staff has to clean up after 5pm or so
pool should be open a bit earlier as kids are waiting to get in pool from 9am
papers in the hotel prices change every day got the same paper every day and was €2.50 €2.60 €2.70 when I said it to the girl on reception on the forth day she said or sorry €2.50 for this one .
now the bar staff one guy particular have a photo of him ill put up tall guy with black hair with very bad teeth was very rude to all most everyone that I've seen him dealing with our first day we set down to order food after he told us to sit down and he take our order before we set down he was at our table ready take our order why he cant take it at the bar . he is trying to be smart but he ant then we start to order my wife ordered the chicken and chips he said are you sure you want this , yes why my wife said no no are you sure ya why . then I say is there a problem , ho no no never mind its ok then , we were like what ,
so later on in the week we ware talking to another couple they said he ordered two drinks with him and he gave him €20 he gave him his change and looked at it new it didn't look right so he asked him sorry you left me short he said (bar man) oh ya I took a tip you man was like no I give you a tip you don't take one
later that week he left me short €50cent for a bottle magners it said 4euro on receipt he charged me 4.50 then another man hared us all talking about him and told us he left him short as well but he said noting and let it go but another bar man left him short and he went mad the (baldy head bar man) be aware of this bar man I think his name is toni but have photo his the guy on the right the bar man on the left is very nice

Room Tip: get a room at the back of hotel room at the back of pool
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I think best is to try it for yourself as describing it is a bit more tricky. The hotel is not bad for a family stay as long as you stay away from the all inclusive deal which we did, although through curiosity my wife did ask and they wanted 29 Euros a day for adults and half price for children and you cannot do it for one day only. Maybe they are afraid that you might change your mind after a one day trial and not want it anymore. wi/fi is not free and the speed is slow in the morning and faster late nights. Paid 2300 Euros for a week stay with jet/2 and thought it was expensive for a family and the shows are short and you only get the Pirate experience when the show is on. There was no hot water from 7/8pm so shower earlier or later.
The sofa had stains and I think for the money we paid it could be cleaner.
Santa Ponsa is ok but it has turned more expensive than we expected. Next year we will try Alcudia.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank alcudiaisbetter
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Came home from Pirates Village on Wednesday and we were all so sad to leave. We had the most amazing holiday ever! Reading some of the reviews on here I really don’t think they were staying at the same hotel!
On arrival we were met by a lovely lady Elvira in reception. As we were checking in Stephanie (the manager) and Florian the photographer met us. We were advised we had a quiet room (as I had requested) and that we were to be in the restaurant for 8pm for our special welcome. We had taken part in the Facebook challenge! We got to our room 356 to find a bottle of bubbly waiting for us. Lovely :-D The room itself was spotless. We had 2 beds in the room along with a travel cot for our 10 month old. Then in the living room there were 2 sofas/beds made up. There was a dining table and 4 chairs, a TV, fridge, kettle, toaster and cooker. Should you require a microwave, ask at reception and there will be one brought up to your room. On the balcony there is a table and 2 chairs & a small clothes horse. The rooms have not been done up yet, but nowhere does it say they have. I have no complaints about them at all. They are basic holiday apartments. Also reading few reviews people have complained about the noise in the rooms. We didn’t hear anyone else in their rooms, just the usual folk walking past. Also if you’re in the room with the balcony doors closed its nice and quiet.
We went to the restaurant for dinner and our special welcome was amazing! We had a reserved table for the night time entertainment. You can see the pictures on Pirates Village Facebook page. If you can do something for your special welcome then you should – it’s well worth it!
The food was great, plenty of choice every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner. For breakfast there was always a choice of cold meat, cheese, sausages, bacon, beans, and much more. There were always baguettes, fresh rolls, white & brown bread for toast. Also loads of wee cakes and stuff for after. Tea, coffee, fruit juice and water are there for you to help yourself too. For lunch and dinner there was always loads to choose from. There’s even a buffet just for kids.
The staff are all so friendly. Florian, Simone, Robbie (our lovely waiter haha), Smelly Jelly Belly Ellie and Paul to name but a few they all work so hard. The cleaners are on the go constantly! The whole hotel is spotless! Stephanie – the manager – is lovely! Our 10 month old is usually so clingy and he loved her! Our 3 year old loved the kids club and the mini disco at night. The entertainment is fantastic. I can’t comment on the pirates attack mind you. They are on a Wed and a Sunday. We missed them though because we arrived and left on a Wed and had plans for the Sunday. Hope to see it next year!
I feel like I’ve written an essay here! This is me cutting it down. I could go on for pages and pages! I honestly can’t speak highly enough of this place. I have already recommended it and were all wishing we could go back today!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Vicki R
Reviewed September 16, 2013

We came just for a short break last week 3 days. First I would like to thank Damien on reception for the genuine warm welcome we received. Having come to Santa ponsa and other resorts in Spain I was amazed with His friendliness and that of the whole staff in general . Everyone there treated you as if you were the only one in the resort, This staff work together as a team and this was so evident by the service you received. The Bar staff couldn't do enough for you . The food was great. etc. But the out lay of the centre the Pool etc. slides for the children this is a Children's dream come true, The pirates are everywhere entertaining the children and Adults alike the shows at night are Fantastic. This is a theme park all of its own. Don't Hesitate for a minute to book . Your Children will be in their element
Even when it was our time to go the manager Stephanie was there at the door assisting people .She kindly showed us to where we could sit while waiting for our shuttle bus, We are hoping to come back next year with the whole family. Cant wait to go back Please God.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family