“Perfect if you are willing to compromise” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Plaza Santa Ponsa Boutique Hotel

Plaza Santa Ponsa Boutique Hotel
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Perfect if you are willing to compromise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Ok, so before I start my review I must say I had a great holiday. I went with Jet2 holidays, you are met at the airport directed to your transfer, given emergency telephone numbers & collected from your hotel for your return flight home. I would suggest finding a photo of the street / front of your hotel as the reps do not travel on the transfer buses & the driver will likely be Spanish & pronounce your hotel name differently.

Right so I will do this kind of 4 in a bed style marks out of 10

How was your welcome at the Santa ponsa plaza? 9/10
Margarita & Joanna were super receptionists, very helpful & pleasant.

How was the location of the Santa ponsa plaza? 9/10 literally central right in the middle of this little beautiful town.

How was the cleanliness of the Santa ponsa plaza? 8/10. Admittedly I didn't go throught things with a fine tooth comb but nor did I find anything to complain about. The rooms were cleaned daily. Fresh towels when you leave dirty towels on the floor. Friendly cleaning staff.

How did you sleep at the Santa ponsa plaza 1/10. Our room was near the generator which you don't notice during the day, however at night this made a loud noise every few minutes. After a week I was just about getting used to it. I did not ask to be moved, this was a compromise as our room was bigger, & had the most ginormous balcony ! Big enough for 2 to sunbathe on.

How was the food at the Santa ponsa plaza? 5/10. The food was adequate. Hot food was kept hot, cold food was kept cold. Hygienic & clean. A small dining room tells you this is not a large hotel. Keep this in mind, the menu is limited, probably due to budget, you can't please everyone. The breakfast was usual cereal, bacon, egg, cold meats etc. the evening meals consisted of 1 meat & 1 fish dish with salad & veg. I ate well although not varied, if you want more adventurous food go out to eat. I did not eat pudding at all as I'm not a pudding person, this appeared to be jelly, blancmange, & fruit every day. Dinks are not included in the 1/2 board & a bottle of wine was €8 or beer for €2.50, water €1.80 -serves 2.

How was the bar / entertainment at the Santa ponsa plasa? 9/10. No entertainment but the bar staff were ace! Very amusing & I had a drink there several times.

How is the resort 9/10. Great for people with mobility problems , really brilliant! I took my 73 yr old mum & she had no problems at all. Everywhere had access. Good boat trips around €20, really worth going to dragon island. Palma is €3 each way on the bus (if you can get on) or €25 ish in a taxi. Palma market is a disappointment, all fake designer handbags & tat & only 1 short street. Andrax is pretty & the market there is better, again you can go by bus or taxi. Jet2 did not do a welcome meeting (thank god) nor did the reps try to sell you any (over priced) trips - WELL DONE JET2!

Would you stay at the Santa ponsa plaza again? YES

There are compromises to be made, we had a twin room #117 & I think it may have the biggest balcony in the entire hotel, getting sun for almost the whole day! - the compromise of this was the noisy boiler, mum is deaf though so wasn't a problem for her. There is only 1 plug point in the room, we found a 2nd socket above the door in the bathroom?!?! No fridge in the room & I'm not sure where it would go or where it could be plugged in. TV in the room had several British channels & channels in German & Spanish. There is a phone in the room which we didn't use but we did ask the receptionist for a wake up call for our early departure & this was done no problem. The dining room doesn't open until 8 am, but the night reception man provided us with coffee & toast.

Previous reviews mention theft, to be honest I always recommend getting a safe, this cost €20 for the week & all our valuables went in it. I think it's a must. I've stayed in many places & if you tempt people with your stuff they may take it.

In addition re charging your stuff, you need to leave the card in the slot to enable electricity in the room, so even if you left something to charge as soon as you remove the card from the electric slot it will stop charging. Charge stuff over night is my advice.

This is a great budget hotel. If you are looking for cheap & cheerful, clean & central you won't go far wrong. Make a compromise on your room. The beds are comfy enough, do you want quiet or a sunny big balcony?

It's not a party town (well not in October) but enough to do for a week.

Room Tip: Rooms 115-119 on the first floor will be noisy, but if this will bother you ask for another room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank FranGLeeds71

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Finnish first
Newport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have just returned from a week's holiday in this hotel. This was our
first visit to this hotel and will be our last. On the plus, the hotel is
well situated in easy distance to shops, restaurants, bars and the beach.
The beach is lovely and very clean. The cleaning maids cleaned rooms
every day and fresh towels every day. The one lady receptionist,
unfortunately we did not take her name, but she was excellent, and
was always helpful with any problems and got them sorted straight away.
On the down side, pool area needs a good clean, no parasols at all, the
mattresses on the beds got soaked when it rained overnight, as they
were never taken indoors. Food, what can we say, if we see another
jelly, we will go nuts!! Breakfast was o.k. no probs. But the evening meal,
left a lot to be desired. Plenty of salad stuff, but no veg and chips with
everything, no imagination. Do not have wine with your evening meal,
as they charge ten euros more than you can buy in the local supermarket.
For one bottle. Avoid room 116, 117, 118 and 119, as noise from
generators will keep you awake all night. Staff seemed to have low
morale, very morose, seemed as though they could not be bothered really.

Room Tip: Rooms to have if you want to over look the pool area are, 217,218,219, 317,318,319.Other rooms over...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank stephen s
Beckenham, Kent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I returned for our fourth or fifth visit.
We like the central location, close to the beach and far away from the 'late' bars so that we are not disturbed by the party side of Santa Ponsa.
We found the breakfast the same as before, rather basic, but does the job, full English, and, continental style breakfast.
We paid €20 extra each to go half board, for our visit which really was a bargain, even if the food was more basic then before. if I see another thin chicken drumstick, of a fatty slice of pork again I'll scream! The evening meal really isn't anything to write home about.
The worst part of our stay was my wife having her phone stolen from the room (room 318) the phone was left in the room, on charge whilst we went out to the beach. When we came back to the room we noticed the theft, we reported it to the reception staff, who couldn't care less. Because the door wasn't forced open they said the Police wouldn't be interested. The receptionist took no details, and pretended that she couldn't speak English.
Beware that the cleaners/maids DO leave rooms open whilst they are servicing the rooms, they will deny this, but we saw rooms left open whilst the cleaners were around.
The rooms only have ONE socket in them so take an adaptor with a travel plug on the end, and don't leave ANY valuables around, be warned, they will be stolen.
On plus note I have to say the bar staff are great, they can't do enough for you, really cheap drinks for a hotel, and a great location to watch the world go by.
Sadly the theft of my wife's iphone really put a downer on our holiday, and we won't be returning again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank mr2wheels100
hertfordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

Me and my mum had a four nite break here our second time staying here the hotel is in a great place right opposite the beach and lots of shops and restaurants just outside.the breakfast is fine just the basic fry up cearl and cheeses enough to get you started for the day.didn't have dinner as did last year and not to great plenty of great restaurants to choose from pool area small but nice would not like to be here in high season most of the Sun beds are broken saw plenty of people falling through them rooms kept clean we had a late flight and asked for a late check out room to be told ask on day of departure asked again two days before we were due to leave to be told fully booked they didn't even no what day I wanted so I assume they don't do these and there is also no shower room you will need to take a kettle if you want tea in the room three is no fridge and only one plug sockets would go again due to the location

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the town
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank samantha038
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

İ stayed a few days in this hotel and İ would like to remark that the attention İ received since İ stepped in was perfect. We spent all the nights in the Lobby Bar, named Cubanito. We had great cocktails done by Sergio, which is the most friendly waiter ever. The hotel is located in front of the beach and all the night clubs and restaurants are nearby. İ would definitely recommend this place (rate-quality !!)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mastoideo
Motherwell, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Three days so far, room very clean I had to move the bed for something, nothing under it, rooms done every day, if u want the sun go to the back my friend had 318 small double for herselfn we were round the corner 314 top floor people watched sun doesn't come out there until. 5pm . Pool clean a wee suntrap its a shAme most of the beds r broken hope they get new ones. Decent breakfast, dinner soso I am used to all inc in egypt so not a patch on this !!! Watering hole good for lunch all in all good hotel central and all on the flat

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank arabia1962
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

Expected much more from the pictures and reviews , although swimming pools were lovely and great location in the rooms you would not swing a cat it was crampt and small shared one room with 3 it was clostrophobic to say the least,

• Stayed January 2013