“October 2013”

Ranked #4 of 36 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“October 2013”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Had an very enjoyable stay at The Rey Don Jaime . The staff were always helpful especially the housekeepers. The all inclusive deal was very good value for money and the food was amazing.The enetertainment was a bit hit and miss with the same format everynight and aimed at the older guest but you cant have everything.I can safely say i would definitely stay at this hotel again and am looking forward to returning again next year.

11 Thank Paulie G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
  • Polish first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

This is a nice hotel. The food was good at the beginning of the holiday, unfortunately we were the the last week before it closed for the winter and it got worse as the week went on. Many spaniards turned up for the weekend and the food changed to suit them plus they were very noisy. The entertainment manager was really great and put his heart and soul into the job. The staff at the hotel were the most miserable staff I have ever known on any holiday, especially the bar staff who would not even speak to you. One of the waitresses in the dining room was more like a prison warder. However we did not let this spoil our holiday. The hotel is situated near bars and shops with a good bus service close by. I would recommend a visit to the harbour although it looks closed to the public you can walk round it. It is a very clean area and a lovely walk. Don't know if we would go back.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Chris H
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this Hotel for a week from the 15th October to the 22nd and had a wonderful time, The hotel was super clean as was the pool area and the staff were friendly, chambermaids went out of their way to help us as did the rest of the staff. Food was of a good quality and plentiful
We could not fault the Thomson reps, Thank you Ben & Joanne for all your assistance whilst we were there, All in all a nice Hotel & Nice resort, We would have liked to have gone back to the resort next year with Our Son, Daughter in Law and 2 grandsons but we had trouble finding a Family room for them as all rooms seem to only sleep 3, so we have chosen Palma Nova instead, I am hoping it will be just as good. we will have to see

6 Thank greenfreddyb
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We only stayed in this hotel for 24 hours due to overbooking so you would think that this would be an easy review for us to write or maybe we shouldn't bother writing a review at all. But I think not! It would seem that my wife and myself stayed at 2 different hotels this night. (Although just to be clear, literally, we did not!)

So as we review as a team and we simply cannot agree on a review for this hotel we shall submit 2 separate reviews below;-

Jayne Ann;-

Great choice for extended families

We found ourselves staying at the Rey Don Jaime for 24 hours due to our being overbooked at the Club Santa Ponca (not unique, see our review for this hotel) and as frequent visitors to Santa Ponca we decided to make the best of the situation and try out another hotel in the resort. We already knew the location of this hotel so were quite happy. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful and judging by the number of thank you cards displayed on the desk it was clear that a good time is had by all. There were also a number of mobility scooters in the foyer which due to the lay out of the hotel was ideally suited to holiday makers with mobility problems. We were allocated a room on the 5th floor behind the lift which was obviously used for late check out but as we were only staying for one night it was fine. There was no balcony which would have been a problem if we were staying for any longer but the room was huge and the bathroom was spotlessly clean so happy days.

The Rey Don Jaime is a typical package holiday hotel with a good variety of food, drink and snacks to suit all ages. Pool side entertainment day and night. I would imagine a bun fight in the morning for a sunbed but that's all part of the fun. Great
location near the beach, shops and Santa Ponca nightlife.

Overall I really liked this hotel and would have been quite happy to book a longer stay. An ideal choice for families holidaying with granny to baby and everyone in between.

Chris;-

Not too bad holiday factory!

To me this hotel is a throwback to the package holiday experience of the Spain of the 1970s. Although I have to say I have never stayed in one quite as bustling as this! It was an.....interesting experience staying in this hotel for a night but not one to be revisited in my view. There were queues everywhere you care to look and the accommodation, facilities, dining, pool area and entertainment all catered for large families with many children. It was a package holiday experience to suit the Broons! (If you don't understand this last comment.....I wouldn't worry about it too much!)

For example, dining was indeed an experience. Nothing especially wrong with the food it was just that at dinner especially....well I've just never seen such a vast and busy eating area. The staff are extremely efficient as....they HAVE to be. I was very impressed that the meal times passed off without any people crashes! There were at least 400 people in the dining room for the 7:30 mealtime start, most of whom were families gulping down their food to make the start of the entertainment at 8:30. The all inclusive food was 3 star, you wouldn't starve. The beer and the plentiful spirits were more than adequate but the house wine at dinner was ground breaking as it had obviously undergone a revolutionary fermentation process which had avoided all contact with fruit!

Personally, I don't bother with entertainment on holiday but the good bit I caught of the comedian on the only night we stayed there convinced me that large family resort hotels like this do demand top drawer performers. And the comedian of this night would not disgrace himself on television. Performing in front of a massive audience he was original and a true professional!

(Crikes he was almost as "funny" as our TA reviews?)

We did not stray too close to the sardinesque pool area. There is a picture here on TA where there is an attempt to get 200 people into the pool..........Nuff said!

You had to HIRE the remote control for the television in the room. Possibly a comment on the managements' view of their guests? Or maybe just because there are a lot of children?

The room we had for our impromptu stay was definitely a late checkout room. Large but impersonal with no balcony, no frills and candlewick bed sheets, my wife told me.

The two of us have compromised on 3 dots because Jayne Ann would give it four, I'd give it ......ach about two and half! (JA has expressed an interest in staying at this hotel again. But it won't be with me!! :-0) Maybe I'm sounding a wee bit snobby above. Maybe my wife will slap me for it. But this is NOT an hotel I would have chosen to book.......

Ach but not everyone will agree, C'est la vie :-)

Room Tip: Don't get yourselves overbooked elsewhere and get landed with a late checkout room!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ChrisandJayneann
Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Visited from 19th to 26th October all Inclusive. The staff overall are typically very friendly if you are friendly to them, although some of the the bar staff could do with a charisma transplant!
The hotel is clean and well laid out, bedrooms are as you'd expect, but I found the bed uncomfortable due to the soft foam mattress ( not sprung ) . The small pool area is all concrete, lacks atmosphere and suffers from the off-putting sewage smell from the underground sewage plant across the main road. Calvia Council really do need to get this vented off better. We used the fabulous beach which is only a 5 min walk (passed the sewage smell ) from the hotel. Santa Ponsa is a nice small resort not too large, with a pleasant promenade, but I wouldn't like to go in high season. The resort and especially the hotel are excellent for the less able or wheelchair guests.

The weather was excellent for the time of year (25-30deg ). We were in room 468 which faced the road ( but unfortunately also the sewage station ) this probably resulted in the mozzies in our room on arrival, as it never gets any sun into the room or on balcony at this time of year. Very few rooms have good views, they either look into other hotels or back streets. The few pool view rooms are the sunniest, some having a bit of a sea view.

This is a typical three star Spanish hotel with average three star food with no frills, except on Friday 25th Oct, when a large party of Spanish pensioners checked in and true to form as we expected from experience, the food suddenly improved to probably Four star !! One point worth a special mention is that the plates were always hot ( unusual for 3 star ).
The all inclusive drinks are local produce but the beer is excellent Estrella Damm and the brandy is Spanish and very acceptable. We didn't touch the poolside snacks as the local insects were always having their free share of them and were of low quality ( breakfast leftover sausages etc ).

Entertainment was really good overall with some first class tribute acts, Adele and Buble were excellent.

All in all we were happy with what we got for what we paid off peak, but would have been most unhappy had we paid peak prices. We'd probably return to Santa Ponsa, but not this hotel and probably not all inclusive.

2 Thank R R
yorkshire
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Had a week at this hotel beginning of October and had a lovely, relaxing time. Hotel is clean, food was plentiful and hot, staff continuously re-filling the trays and emptying tables.
As it was October the hotel was fairly quiet so there was never any problem getting a sunbed around the pool any time of day, however in the height of season I'm sure it would be a totally different story as the pool area is not big enough for the size of the hotel. Having said that there is a lovely beach less than five minutes walk away which we went to.
Evening entertainment was pretty good, the entertainment team work very hard, however some of the 'acts' were better than others, but no complaints they all put alot of effort into it.
Overall, we had a good holiday and would go again out of season but can imagine the place would have a different feel in the height of summer and would probably be too busy and loud for me.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank breakawayyorks
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I have just returned from a week here with my husband and 3 children. I'm not sure where these other people stayed who wrote some of these reviews, but our experience was excellent from start to finish. The hotel staff were extremely friendly, helpful, accommodating and professional at all times. On arrival we were introduced to the hotel manager who was a delightful lady. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The food was wonderful with a huge amount of choice. We went all inclusive and drinks were always available and again there was a wide choice.
The hotel is situated a 5 minute walk from the beautiful sandy and very clean beach, shops and restaurants.
We could not have asked for a better place to spend our week away. Absolutely wonderful!

• Stayed October 2013