“Good value for money”

Zafiro Rey don Jaime
Ranked #4 of 34 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We weren't expecting 5 star - and we didn't get it. The sunbeds were well past their sell by date, the entertainment included 4 do-it-yourself nights out of the 7, and it was quite noisy at times - the times when we trying to sleep ! But, these are relatively trivial matters and were more than compensated by the excellent food, friendly staff and good location of the hotel. One member of staff - Max of the entertainment team - must certainly have made many peoples holiday with his enthusiasm and personality making the evenings get off to a lively start. If your expectations are modest, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the entertainment are going to be noisy until 11.30
3  Thank stag47
Write a ReviewReviews (2,388)

Reviewed September 24, 2013

From the 5th to the 19th September we stayed at the Rey Don Jamie for the second time. We noticed improvements that had been made from our first stay which were welcomed but If you are looking for a modern hotel then this isn't going to be your cup of tea. It is a shame that this hotel is a little dated because if they gave it an overhaul then it would tick all the boxes. It is a friendly & efficient run hotel where staff are always there to help. It's a clean and airy hotel. We checked in late evening which was quick. We had emailed the hotel previously to request the same room number as we had stayed in before & we were pleased to see they had obliged. The hotel kindly provided us with a complimentary bottle of wine & tea making facilities because we had stayed with them before. We thought this was a nice touch. My Mum was celebrating her 75th birthday whilst we were there which the Thomson reps knew about & again the hotel were very kind to give her a bottle of champagne on the day. Food was varied, providing both British & foreign dishes. There was always something we found we liked. It was always hot & they were constantly topping up. The only downside was there was generally not enough room around the poolside. They had more than enough sunbeds but you had to fight for a spot and a sun umbrella. Luckily the Thomson reps gave us a parasol on our first day that we kept hold of until our last day. The pool area was always clean & staff would come around a couple of times a day collecting any rubbish left behind. Lastly the location of the hotel is excellent. It is a couple of minutes walk to the beach, shops & local bus stop. Well worth the visit unless you have got unrealistic expectations for a three star hotel. We will definitely be returning in the future.

Room Tip: Back of the hotel over looks another hotel, pool view tends to be noisy in the evening due to entert...
6  Thank jbnap
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This hotel staff, management, and entertainment team are absolutely brilliant, the food is exceptional, after having a break from this hotel for 3 years upon arrival everyone knew us and that says it all. Have booked to go back next year before it gets fully booked. A special thanks to the manageress monika for making our stay fabulous and thanks to max rosh and tom for the excellent entertainment.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank diana2712roxy
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I went to Santa Ponsa with my mum on 12/09/13-19/09/13 we travelled with Thomson.
The hotel is very clean and upon arrival check in etc. all okay. We were all inclusive, but the hotel is not totally all inclusive you can have half board or bed and breakfast. I truly think if you are going all inclusive best to go to an all inclusive hotel, not one with other boarding options. Firstly rooms are spacious, but dated furniture - beds very comfortable, and anyway the holiday is about outside not being in the room. Bathroom looks like it has been updated, all okay, lovely shower (in bath) very powerful. Towels dreadful - I would say it is time for new ones. No toiletries in bathroom, apart from a bar of soap - very unusual, I have never travelled where these haven't been in room. Hairdryer a nightmare (in bathroom), you have to try and keep you finger on the button while drying your hair! Also I would say far better to put in the bedroom area. Also hanging space in room not very good, actually it is the first time I have had to live partially out of my suitcase. We were at front of hotel on first floor, actually after reading reviews I was surprised how quiet it was - coaches do turn up but not generally throughout the night. You get the sun in the afternoon/evening, very nice.
Pool area very overcrowded, sunbeds easy to get but it is the parasols that are the problem, we bought our own at the shop for 12 euros, there are quite a few bases for these available. First three days we spent on the beach, but then whats the point of all inclusive! The beach is lovely though, two sunbeds and a parasol 13.50 euros.
First day my mum stayed in room and I asked for a bottle of water, they gave me a tiny plastic bottle of water and I had to pay 2.20 euros for this (the same at the shop was 50 cents), but I could have taken a plastic cup of water for free. So for people who said about the water, if you want a bottle by the pool whether you are all inclusive or not, you have to pay for this. We ended up buying a large bottle at the shop for 1 euro and kept it on our balcony, as to have the fridge was 20 euros, I would not pay this, I don't agree with paying for the fridge when you are on an all inclusive basis. I have never done this before. Also the remote for the tele was 12 euros but this is returnable - but to be honest I'd much rather not have the tele on while I am on holiday. Also we did get a kettle for free as my mum had been to the hotel before, also a bottle of red wine, but you have to take this down to the bar to open it, but then, what's the point, if you are all inclusive you can have wine while at the bar anyway. Drinks at bar are expensive, I wanted a Pimms (which I did have and it is not on the all inclusive menu), this was 5.80 euros, it was literally a pimms/lemonade and a piece of lemon, but if I went to the local bar it was about 4 euros and it would have been made alot better with fruit etc.
I did also think poor people with children, if they want an ice cream at the pool, there is a lovely board showing all the lovely ice creams - but alas these are to buy, a magnum was 3 euros, we had these but if I was travelling with my children, this could easily have cost me quite a bit of money during a day at the pool. There were all inclusive options, but this was one option a tub of ice cream! I am sure they could invest in some ice lollies for children.
The entertainment team were very good, and put alot into what they did at the hotel, but personally we went out a few nights for a stroll and a couple of drinks. My mum wanted to go to this hotel, but personally I don't like all the entertainment things going on.
The food is lovely in the hotel. I must say I found something that I liked each day. The only thing I would say is I do like to have a regular table at dinner and breakfast, most mornings and nights myself and my mum were walking around looking for somewhere to sit - it was a bit chaotic. I like to be served my tea or coffee at the table. The tea and coffee stations were situated around the dining room, but they were awful, people just spilt tea, coffee and milk everywhere, also people had made cups of drinks and just left them on the table, I ended up using the cloth and clearing a bit before I could make mine. Much better being seated and served your coffee and tea at your table.
The staff at hotel are very good, and the whole place is pretty clean. Also I read that the pool area wasn't clean, but I noticed staff going around and picking up plastic cups. But to be honest we never left our cups about, if we had a drink we would put our cups into the bins provided, some people are very lazy, to be honest it is up to us as guests to put our cups into the bin, we wouldn't just throw them on the street at home!
On the whole we had a lovely time, and the weather was beautiful which is always a bonus. I would probably go back to this hotel but only for a cheap long weekend.
I didn't expect it to be great after reading the reviews, so I wasn't disappointed, if anything it was better than I thought it was going to be.

Room Tip: We were at the front of hotel, if facing reception we were on the right hand side, the side nearest...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank dgibbonsLondon
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Just returned from a weeks holiday 11th Sep and had a great time. My husband and son are fussy eaters and they enjoyed the food we went all inclusive and did not eat out anywhere else. Rooms were kept clean and staff were very helpful the entertainment was fab and had lots to do and worked very well to keep people amused. I would deffo go back and had a great holiday. The only downside was getting sunbeds because the hotel allows people to hold beds with towels from early morning even if the people are not around. (this was not a problem for me as I did not touch their towels but did move their sunbeds got funny looks but hay who cares !! ) Very close to the beach and local taxis were easy to use. Must try Western World Water Park great day out and at Airport pick up a map and they have discount vouchers in it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Leeleea63
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We arrived after a thunder storm and many areas of the hotel were flooded. The hotel was very tired looking and we had no balcony and a rubbish view but 3 beds in our room (we only needed 2! The food was okay but not much selection. The wine was very weak. Staff were friendly. There were not enough umbrellas around the pool area.

Room Tip: Don't have a room with 3 beds.
1  Thank tiger821
Reviewed September 21, 2013

just returned from a weeks holiday at the rey don jaime room was clean but a bit dated but you only use it to shower and sleep food was good you could always find something and as others have said the pool area does get crowded but we managed to find beds on the couple of days that we wanted to lay by pool we went all inclusive which was well worth it and the entertainment was brill something for everyone we never went out at night max was great quiz bingo bongo and different shows every night we did not want to come home we will be going back again but for longer next time.

Room Tip: rooms 316 and 317 are at the back no view but are very quiet