“Decent 3 star Hotel”

SENTIDO Punta del Mar
Ranked #3 of 34 Hotels in Santa Ponsa
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Good 3* Hotel with adequate food and facilities.
Views from the rooms are fantastic so long as you are not on the 1st floor. Only problem with the room was the lack of cleaning, Floor was dirty when we arrived and was never cleaned during our 10 day stay!
Food is ok and there is enough variety for most, though a bit repetative if you are vegetarian - my wife survived on salad and cheese.
The staff are very pleasnt and are always busy, however they should employ more cleaners.
The hotel location is not ideal for the elderly as it is quite a walk uphill back to the hotel from the centre of Santa Ponsa.
In my opinion this is a good 3 star hotel and if your after that little extra, then book a 4 or 5 star.
The resort itself is ok, only problem is the amount of Irish visitors to the resort, about 80% with mainly scots and few English making up the numbers.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank BradNewcastle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,894)

Reviewed June 30, 2007

Me and my partner have just returned from a weeks stay at the Punte Del Mar Hotel.
The hotel itself is really nice, the location & the views are fantastic and the swimming pool area is well maintained and clean, There is also a little bay area below the hotel down a few steps which is fantastic, you can swim in the sea down there or sunbathe on the rocks.
The hotel is mainly for older couples there are no young groups of people in the hotel, so it is very quiet and if thats what you are looking for I would highly recommend it.

The beach is about a 25mins walk away but you pass all the shops on the way so its a nice walk.

The entertainment throughout the day is good, they have activities such as shooting, water polo, & table tennis etc...

The only things that we thought the hotel could improve on were the rooms being cleaned more throughly as the maid tended to put everthing in the corner & mop around them and the bed sheets were not changed, we had also heard of people who had ripped towels and bed sheets although we did not have that problem thankfully.
The service in the restaurant was rubbish, we had to lay out own tables most nights, and had to call the waiters over for drinks, this is purely down to the hotel not having enough staff though.
Also we did not have a balcony we only had a window which looked out over onto the sea, we was in room 326, and it generally depends on the size of your party if you have 3+ people then the rooms tend to be alot bigger and you have a balcony, separate rooms and en-suites.

I would return to this hotel.

1  Thank I_Love_Spain07
Reviewed June 19, 2007

just returned from the punta del mar had a fabulous time booked a one bedroom apartment for three adulys , my husbands friend came with us expexting to have to sleep on sofa bed ,what a pleasant suprise we had a double bedroom with en suite and another lounge room with two sofas a single bed kitchenett and another en suite and we each had a very large balcony this apartment must have been the largest in the hotel 328 brilliant.
the views are outstanding ,pools beautifull, food was excellent for the money we paid the holiday was outsatnsing value for money .
we would definatley return to the punta del mar.

4  Thank burndenbilly
Reviewed June 18, 2007

We were put into the hotel by chance as our origional place had been overbooked and I reckon we got a great deal. Our rooms were spotless and had sea views. The variety and quality of food was excellent, the staff very friendly and helpful. The pool area was lovely and peaceful even though there were a number of children around. (be careful when you get out of the pool the floor can be very slippy!!!) We didnt sample the hotel entertainment as we went into santa ponsa or magaluf at night (which was mental!) but there always seemed to be something going on at night. This was an all couples holiday for us but my husband and I have already decided to take the kids there next year. I would recomend this hotel to families or couples wanting to relax and take in the beautiful scenery.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
7  Thank LenLiverpool
Reviewed June 15, 2007

I stayed at the Punta Del Mar hotel for one week from the 3rd June 2007 of a half-board basis. Although I travelled with my family I had my own room as we had a suite which, as a previous reviewer has mentioned, was split by one main door which then led onto two individual doors. I imagine this would be excellent for people with younger children and we certainly had our own privacy when all doors were closed.
My room was very clean and had a nice firm bed with cheerful bed linen and not the usual woven blankets I had become so accustomed to in usual package-deal hotels. I even photographed my room on departure as I wanted to remember it! That is a first for me and I have travelled throughout Europe fairly extensively and have some memories which are best forgotten - this is NOT one of them! So here we go then :-

'The Towels'...............some people seem to have spent their holiday worrying about 'the towels' so I thought I may as well join the great towel debate. 5 Star Spa quality they aren't, but really- they were fine and CLEAN which is the main thing........if towel quality can ruin your holiday for you then maybe you should take your own ...anyway ENOUGH about the towels !
The pool and pool area were lovely and, as a beach person, I was happy to sit there throughtout a few days of my stay as it was such a beautiful place to be - views are priceless from all aspects. The pool was not cold at all (you whimps !) and I went in everyday and they were clean and safe with a shower also outside.
The only problem seemed to be the need for more parasols but I went and asked for some and within a few minutes they were about 10 new ones available. Bar staff are friendly and do some good value snacks in the day time. There are plenty of shady spots in the dining areas.
'The Food' was absolutely fine at all meals at the hotel. I am a good cook & quite fussy about quality and did not feel let down by this at all.There was a great selection whether we dined early or last-off and they really seemed as though they had tried to please all nationalities with the range. The drinks are fairly priced and nice wine was available to buy also.
One thing I feel I must mention is that half way through my week some people who had spent one week on the Ocean Village Cruise came to stay at the Punta Del Mar. They immediately moaned about the food quality, service etc and all I can say is they had been on 4/5 Star cruise and then had too high expectations of the Punta's food which is, and at the end of the day, 3 Star. I have stayed at many European hotels and this exceeded my expectations easily. It was varied, clean and safe (hot food piping hot, cold food kept chilled). No it was not 5 star silver service it was good quality 3 star buffet (which means serve yourself you Cruise people !). I felt it was unfair criticism on the part of those of visitors to compare the two.
The actual resort of Santa Ponsa has not changed much since I visited back in 2000. If anything I think it seemed more refined. The hotel is in the perfect position and definitely in the more select area of the resort. The Square, as mentioned in other reviews, made a nice place to sit and had a good atmosphere to have a drink and people-watch rather than being a lager louty place it seemed very relaxed and fun.
Well I am sure you are wanting to move on to the next review to see if you have made a bad decision, as this was the first place I looked AFTER I booked to 'prepare myself'. In summary I would stay at the Punta Del Mar again anytime - it made for a great holiday. Relax and enjoy yourselves!

Stayed: June 2007
17  Thank NottsEmmy
Reviewed June 9, 2007

We have just returned from a 1 week stay at the Punta Del Mar at the beginning of June. The stay was quite enjoyable. I would say the majority of guests were British with a few Germans perhaps. We are in our forties and guests were a mix of ages from those with young families through to small groups of teenagers and also the typical mix of middle aged and elderly people. Reception staff were mainly friendly and helpful.

Some rooms had balconies and some had terraces (I assume these were the self catering rooms). We did hear of people who had booked self catering accommodation and got simple bedrooms and also vice versa and I’m not sure these problems were dealt with by the hotel. Standard answer from reception staff to requests for change of rooms seemed to be that the hotel was full and they’d have to check with the manager.

Our room was of adequate size and cleaned every day with a regular change of towels and bed linen. Other reviews seem fixated by the poor quality of the towels but we found them to be OK. They were smallish for bath towels and a little thin but certainly not threadbare as some have suggested.

I would say there was some noise from adjacent rooms and we were awakened one night by amorous goings on from a room above ours (around 4am) which goes to show how enthusiastic they must have been especially as I had earplugs in!! We assume they were youngsters but you never know!. Noise from adjacent rooms is always to be expected from buildings that are basically concrete shells with no insulation which is why I always pack earplugs..

We arrived on a Saturday and having read some earlier reviews thought we had better bag a sun bed early on the Sunday morning in the true British style. We felt a bit bad about it after as there were plenty around well after breakfast. Things continued the same way for most of the week apart from the day after some Ocean Village pre-cruise guests arrived. The next morning almost all beds were reserved before we got down from breakfast but seemed to settle down again the day after. All in all there seemed to be plenty beds and chairs around but sun brollies were in short supply and had to be reserved early.

There were two pools, both fairly small but for the amount of people who used them seemed to be of adequate size. I think the water was a bit cold maybe this is why there was not much people using them. Sun beds were a bit 3 star in that they weren’t adjustable and as such were very uncomfortable.

There was the usual daytime activities such as shooting, archery and boules etc for those that wanted to take part. We didn’t sample the night time entertainment as it looked a bit lame, mostly lone musical performers or bingo although there was a Saturday dance troupe which might have been quite good but we went out that night.

Out with the hotel evening entertainment is to be found in the centre of the resort some 15-20 mins walk away where you would also find some clubs and many bars. For families the nearest entertainment is to be found at the square some 10 mins slightly downhill and round to the left. Every night there is early evening entertainment for kids and at around 9.30 there is usually a tribute act. Best shows we saw were ABBA and Rod Stewart. Earlier posts suggested this entertainment would be stopping due to noise restrictions but they have actually fitted a noise limiter so that acts can’t exceed certain decibel levels. This makes sound quality a bit difficult to control as it cuts out at peak volumes but didn’t interfere too much. After these acts finish some of the local bars around the square have their own entertainment.

As far as dining in the hotel is concerned, it would seem very easy to book self catering or breakfast only but still enjoy all meals on offer as no one seemed to check room numbers or board basis of guests stay.

The dining room operates a policy of not greeting people at the door or showing people to tables. This seemed to work OK once you got used to the process of hunting down one that was either clean and ready for use or had recently been vacated by previous users. Restaurant staff were always on hand to clean up if you wanted to make use of a table that still had used dishes etc on it and were efficient and friendly.

The quality of food can only be described as average but probably OK for a 3 star hotel. Breakfast and dinner were buffet style and had the usual range of options although the fare was typical of this style in a European sunshine resort hotel. Juice and coffee were dispensed from adjacent machines and were probably the worst I’ve ever had on holiday. Breakfast sausages were very like British ones which pleased me as I don’t like the spicy continental or hot dog options normally served up in European hotels.

The hotel occupies the best location in the resort for views. All the rooms on one side look across to the area the other side of the bay where the marina is located and along to the left is the main beach some 15 mins walk away. There are always small sailing boats to watch in the bay. We walked to the marina one day and although it looks deceptively small from the hotel view it opens up behind the land to be quite a size with a lot of expensive yachts and if you are fit is certainly worth a walk as there is also a monument to walk to in the same area. On the other side of the hotel the rooms look out onto another area of the island where the sun sets over the hills giving spectacular views at night time.

All in all the hotel is fine. Best thing is the views. See photos if posting has worked out correctly. Hotel is definitely 3 star and not 4. For what we paid it was good value and we’d probably stay there again if the price was right.

11  Thank delbankin
Reviewed May 28, 2007

My wife and I stopped at Punta del Mar for a week in March, had lovely weather, the hotel has amazing views from the reception area and the room we stopped in had a nice little balcony with nice sea views. We did have a few problems with our room, namely

1) THEY WERE COLD!! Ok, this is March, but there seemed to be a draft coming from somewhere as on the first night I couldnt sleep due to the cold, and we had to put the heating on FULL BLAST all day and all night to get some kind of warmth in the place, and it wasnt THAT cold outside (around 15 degrees). Maybe its the tiled floors everywhere that makes it freezing, like some kind of cheap cooling system for the summer.

2) Our bathroom roof collapsed on the second morning, it had a nasty sag in the centre that I noticed and when I returned the whole thing had fallen onto the open door which was keeping it propped up. I reported it to the reception staff and to be fair it was fixed when we returned in the evening, although THEY LEFT THE DOOR UNLOCKED AND WIDE OPEN! We had a lot of valuables in the room and we thought this particularly careless. I forgot to complain about this.

I thought the food was excellent , buffet style but quite a wide range that varied day by day, although I was getting a little tired of it towards the end of the week. Dining room often very crowded, and there are a lot of germans staying at this hotel.

The only thing I really didnt like was the lousy entertainment, they had poor quality caberet singers/keyboard players on at night but they were so bad we went outside (quite nippy in March) rather than hear them.

One other thing I MUST mention, and this is nothing to do with the hotel, but one thing totally ruined our holiday in Mallorca and that was getting stopped by touts from Vacaciones Wide Plus, a "holiday club" scam operating in Palma. We got picked up in Palma Nova and were told we had won a free holiday. This "free" holiday almost left me in debt of £12,000. If these touts approach you DO NOT COMPLETE THEIR SURVEYS - ITS A CON!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
#5 of 38 in Palmanova
Zafiro Rey don Jaime
Zafiro Rey don Jaime
#4 of 34 in Santa Ponsa

Been to SENTIDO Punta del Mar? Share your experiences!