2 adults: 30th Sept to 7th Oct 2012, All Inclusive
This was our 1st time at the Sentido Punta Del Mar and were very pleased with the hotel, staff, views and facilities.
It's obviously Adult only, which was superb for a middle aged couple like ourselves (we've had the screaming kid part of life). No beach-balls, lilo's, spilt ice-creams or drink, very little noise; totally relaxing holiday indeed.
We met some great people of a "similar" age and had plenty laughs and interesting conversations, always a bonus when on holiday.
1: The flight:- Horrendous in both directions! Just how many seats can TC cram into a jet? I'm a little under 6ft but was in severe discomfort both going and returning with very limited leg room and no elbow room; I even gave up attempting to eat my in flight meals, not that they were that appetising anyway! It's the last time we buy the meals, total waste of money, we'll be taking sandwiches from now on and will think twice before travelling with TC.
I would also state that the flights now are nothing but a mobile shop 7 miles in the air; from take-off to landing it's sell, sell, sell! What ever happened to the friendly, talkative cabin crew who passed out a wee bag of nuts and a mint when landing; pure greed in my opinion.
2: The transfer:- A mini bus to the hotel which took around 45mins with 2 drop off's. On the way back, a full size bus with pick up's a plenty; it took about 1.5hours being picked up at 7:20am for an 11am flight!
3: The hotel:- Stunning!!
The location was amazing, the views stunning and I'll say it again, no screaming kids!
We were greeted by the concierge who was handing out orange juice as we came in, nice touch.
The reception area really is beautiful, well worth sitting there at some point just to enjoy the lovely décor and views.
Only 2 off 4 lifts were working during our stay which became slow during feeding times.
Our room was lovely; Room 203, Junior Suite. Again, fantastic views over the bay and looking out onto the Mediterranean the other direction. Fridge, Hair dryer, Flat-screen telly, faux leather chairs and couch. We were lucky to have a refurbished suite.
During peak times (lunch/dinner), we did have a strong smell coming through the air-con, possibly due to inadequate plumbing egress during shower usage times, it was annoying but didn't last long. The shower/toilet room was very well done, although the toilet was a little too close to the wall.
The room was cleaned daily and the staff were again, very courteous. and efficient.
4: Food:- Breakfast was very good with plenty variation for all tastes, although the Spanish bacon was a let down. Loads of fruit, cereals, breads and fried stuff available.
One issue; there are no tea/coffee making facilities in your room (this needs to be remedied); You can't get a coffee or tea until the restaurant opens at 8am, not great if like me (a coffee-holic) you're up around 6am every morning; a machine should be made available in the lower bar area out of hours!
5: Pool/s: Lovely and cold (trust me, very cold), cleaned every day although there was slime all around the edges, this should have been removed once every few days! The pool areas were very well looked after too, not hundreds of plastic sunbeds, but enough for all and no congestion. The PVC double beds are an amazing addition but you'll have to be up early (or be German or English) to get one, join the morning ritual and get your towels on them early; not something I agree with, but you've no chance if you don't.
6: Pool bar & entertainment area:- Again, very clean, welcoming and spacious. I have no gripes at all with the bar; all staff were very courteous and friendly, even more so when you ordered in Spanish (shame on you if you can't even say a few words in your host country).
The bar food (lunchtime) was the usual burgers, chips, hotdogs, pizza etc. They were however good quality and always served on clean plates (real crockery) with side salad and napkins.
7: Dining room/buffet restaurant:- Very clean, great window views and friendly service.
The food was not quite 4 star, but very nice with a good variety which "should" cater for all tastes. Pork got a wee bit repetitive but was always tasty, as was all the other dishes; no complaints from me or my Wife.
You get one night in the A La Carte restaurant included in your AI, it's a 7 course pre-prepared meal which will not cater for all tastes; it's those silly wee taster portions you get, served on roof tiles and huge plates. Personally, give it a miss and stick to the buffet ;)
8: Entertainment:- The 2 young lassies (Jenny and Ashley) do a good job rallying the troops for light games during the day; French Bowls, Pool, lawn darts etc. The evenings are not too bad with quizzes, bingo etc. to start with, then hired entertainment till 11pm. The 2 lassies did a decent job on singing a few songs on alternate nights. Again, certainly not 4 star entertainment, but sufficient.
9: Location:- Can't fault it at all, absolutely stunning!
10: Internet Access:- although free, very poor connection speeds, so don't expect to much from it
Overall: We will definitely consider returning next year but would like to see improvements as mentioned above. It's no 4 star plus as advertised, but I believe it will be if these small issues can be rectified.
One major grumble: 2 German film crews took over the entire pool area for a complete day on the Wednesday which was handled very, very poorly by Thomas Cook; I have submitted a claim for a partial refund (as a few others will have too). I'll not go into this, but poor show Thomas Cook!!
My Rating for the holiday would be 7 out of 10.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- SENTIDO Punta del Mar **** Location: On a slope above the sea, the center and the main beach are about 1500 meters away. The next bay and shopping area are a short walk away. Facilities: Renovated in 2012 the SENTIDO Punta del Mar with 234 rooms on seven floors has a lobby with sitting area, internet corner and WiFi internet access, TV room with satellite TV, a bar, a cafeteria with a large terrace and restaurant with sea views. The outdoor area has got a swimming pool, sun terrace with loungers and parasols and a poolside bar. Minimum age 16 years Meals: All meals in buffet form. Lodging: The rooms are equipped with shower / WC, air conditioning / heating, wireless internet, mini fridge, safe (extra charge), telephone, satellite TV, balcony and sea view. Junior suites are larger with the same features and in addition have a hair dryer, bathrobe, minibar and seating area. Double rooms and Junior Suites Superior have additionally with 2 chairs on the balcony. Sport and wellness Included: Indoor pool (for colder months), Jacuzzi, steam room, sauna, fitness room and table tennis. Extra charge: table tennis, billiards, bike rental, massages and treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your SENTIDO Punta del Mar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Punta Del Mar Santa Ponsa
- Hotel Punta Del Mar
- Punta Del Mar Hotel
- SENTIDO Punta Del Mar Santa Ponsa, Majorca