“Not very clean and rather dated but convenient & cheap.”

Apartamentos Portofino y Sorrento
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I don't know if the people with the 5 Star ratings stayed in the "Sorrento" part of the apartment building but our experience in our room in the Portofino was definitely not worth a 5* review.

The good
-------------

The apartments themselves are spacious and we were on the 4th floor with partial ocean views.
Our Apartment had one bedroom with two beds, one bath and a living room with a sleeping couch, small TV and a kitchenette.

The kitchenette was well equipped but we ended up not using it at all, but for those who plan on doing so: there is enough tableware for at least 4 as well as a small fridge, stove, microwave and water kettle.

Santa Ponça beach is just across the street and Palma is easily reachable by bus if you decide not to rent a car.
We only spent one day in Santa Ponça Beach as we had rented a car and chose to explore the island. The highway was easily reachable and we didn't have trouble finding street-side parking (as the hotel will charge you extra for parking).

The shower. FULL WATER POWER. Loved it.

The employees at front desk were always very pleasant, relaxed and eager to help.

The bad
-------------

You can hear pretty much everything from upstairs and neighbors to the side. As we were there in low season, the sound wasn't bad but if you are there in high season and are a light sleeper be aware that the street and neighbors' noise could be an issue.

The beds are very worn (the sheets were all ok though) and there is only one thicker blanket provided (consider this when traveling during off season as nights can get very chilly - I was freezing)
As I already wrote, if you rent a car you will have to pay extra to park it at Portofino.

The ugly
-------------

Extremely dirty with not only sand and dust but also hairballs all over the place.
As a couple we wanted to move the beds closer together only to find even more dust under the beds.
I wish I had actually taken pictures because in all my years as a frequent traveller I have never seen an Aparthotel room floor that dirty.
So while the service at front desk might be good, the housekeeping service is very poor.

The verdict:

We booked this in a spur of the moment as part of a very, very, very cheap last minute deal so we were not expecting much anyways.
We were pleasantly surprised that it is well located on the "quieter" (at least during low season) side of Santa Ponça and we pretty much just came there to sleep so we didn't need much luxury.

If you are considering staying at the Portofino, keep in mind how little this costs and be aware that it won't be luxurious. AT ALL.
If you don't expect much more than a place to stay and just that, you will be fine staying here.

Room Tip: As there is a building between the Portofino and the beach: the higher you are, the better the view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank little_rockets

Reviewed May 7, 2013

A fantastic hotel with the most wonderful location - just adore it. If you are looking for basic, clean accomodation with a view to die for then this is for you. Friendly helpful staff at reception. Portofino has just been redecorated and is bright and fresh but remember very basic. Kitchen with microwave, 2 ring electric cooker and a kettle. Television which I take it you have to pay for a remote - but we just switched on and got BBC1 which is fine - you don't go on holiday to watch telly. Rooms overlook the bay so the higher up you are the better the view. We have stayed on 5th and third floors and both fine.

Room Tip: If you want a better view go higher up but have stayed on 3rd and 5th floors and both good.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank amurp
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Just come back from Santa Ponsa its was our 5th visit there in 3 years. Its so easy to pop over for a short break with cheap flights and reasonable priced accommodation. I have stayed here once before (See Previous review) and you could tell that money had been spent to improve the rooms and reception.
The balcony rails on all rooms had been replaced, previously they were to low and wobbly. Our room on the 3rd floor had been recently painted and new furniture fitted. When you arrive check in was fast and passports returned straight away,Staff were always friendly and helpful.
The Portofino apartments are on the quieter side of Santa Ponsa, but its only a 5 minute walk away to the Irish section with all the Music bars. The Restaurant opposite ( scheherazade) is Excellent with great views across the bay. We noticed that the service was far better this time around, they must be reading their reviews. Just up the road Bobby's is great for Breakfast and Lunch etc, very friendly family.
On leaving the Portofino in the taxi to the Airport I realised I left my watch in the room, I had no Telephone number so had to wait until I got home. I emailed them as so as I got home and within 2 hours and couple of emails between me and the Portofino, my watch was found and placed in their safe. I am returning in July and I an collecting then.
All in all very pleased with these apartments they are basic but spacious and have everything you need for Breakfast and Lunch etc including a Microwave. Looking forward to going back in July.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor in the Portofino block, great view and Sunsets....
3  Thank Russell P
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I just came back from this hotel . rooms are basic but clean it was quiet and we had amazing view from balcony, the location is perfect,and the beach was really great ,reception was friendly. Apartments are large with good kitchen facilities. I liked this hotel and i would recommend it

1  Thank Viktorija157
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The apartments are large and in a good location, that's all that's good unfortunately. I am 180cm tall, not the biggest person you will meet but my feet where hanging off the end of the bed. Due to the design of the apartments even the tiniest noise is amplified to,silly levels. You will soon get sick of drunk people coming in at all hours and waking you up no matter what floor you are on. A lot of the reviews here say the apts are clean but they should look under the beds as they are mopped around but not under. The dining sets are brown glass sets from the 70s and it looks like this was the last time they where also cleaned along with the frying pan and skillet which both still had old food stuck to them. Would I recommend you stay here. Only if you are hard of hearing and eat out all of the time.

Room Tip: Ask for the top two floors as far away from the lift as possible
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Huge apartments in great area with sea views and easy access to the beach shops and eating places. Great showers with plenty hot water and helpful staff. Can be noisy because of traffic and neighbours. The apartments were very cold when we were there in April and we needed the extra blankets on our beds.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Jill G
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We have just returned from our 3rd stay at the Sorrento apartments, and as usual we had a lovely time. The staff are all so friendly and helpful, we phoned and asked for a specific room and we got it (Room 2707 a two bedroom apt. on the top floor, with a balcony and private gated terrace)
Apartments are clean and basic but have all you need for a holiday. No kettle, but the stainless steel teapot boils on the stove without the handle getting hot (well ours did - just check)
Handy for the beach, good restaurants, and bars. A bus stop across the road takes you Magaluf, Palma Nova, Palma etc.
Tips: try the Cheers Pub just 1 block along the road from the Hotel, and the Krishna Indian Restaurant just a wee bit further on. The Jaggy Thistle Pub - for late nights 1 block in the opposite direction (just across the road from the beach).
We booked our trips to "Katmandu" in Magaluf, and the "Caves of Drach" at the reception desk - they were as cheap as anywhere else we saw them advertised.

Room Tip: Sorrento Apartments facing West (numbering 6 to 12 on floors 1,2,3,4,5, and on floor 6 Apartments nu...
4  Thank Colin S