“Mixed review” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 95 Hotels in Salou
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Mixed review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

I have a varied opinion on this Thomson's family holiday, let's start with the good! The rooms in this hotel are the nicest I have stayed in anywhere in Spain, very spacious, modern and clean. The pool area is big, also clean and with the use of a football pitch and park. There is a baby pool up a level of stairs away from all the madness which was lovely and I'm sure slightly heated. The staff were lovely all very helpful and cheery. The hotel in General was spotlessly clean with cleaners around day and night......However there were some negatives! Our biggest disappointment was the kids evening entertainment, our kids are 6 and 9 and love going to the mini disco on holiday, however there was no mini disco here. There was "little pups" which was for pre school kids then the same repetitive rubbish there rest of the night with Thomson the dog and some stupid puppet that you could see being controlled. Our kids were bored really easily and disappointed as any other Thomson's holiday has had mini disco. I would like to add though the kids entertainers were great and only doing there job and the kids club was brilliant especially the chocolate party! Next is the beds... We'll it was like sleeping on a slab of concrete, this appeared to be an issue with a few guests we had spoken too. The food was terrible and by far the worst I have had, it was small selection and very repetitive, the Spanish night consisted of red and yellow napkins in glasses, that's as
Spanish as it got. This is however just my personal opinion. Thus is a lovely hotel but I would not return to it and would go elsewhere in Salou where we have paid much less for better quality. TOP TIPS..... Book full board and upgrade once u get here, we upgraded to all inclusive for £300 less than Thomson's were charging us. Also Port aventura DISCOUNT.. Buy 3 packets of sweets at shop at 1.79 each and get 20€ off per person, we saved 100€ :-). I'd also recommend

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Lyndsey O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Right where do I start because there's so much to say about this great hotel 2 things let me down on this holiday one was the weather an the beds are a bit on the hard side but that's it everything else was fantastic . The Thompson reps were great there's a few of them that our new but they try very hard 2 get it right and the more experienced ones are very good an keep everyone entertained all the time and the reps on desk inparticulary rose and Ashley are fantastic giving great advice an tips on trips an places to eat an so on . If u do decide to eat out try the Guinness tavern which is about a 5 minute walk an is fantastic best food in salou , the food in the hotel is a lot higher standard than the usual hotel food and we only ate out a few times where usually we do every night . Now the staff at this hotel are the hardest working I've came across from reception to bar staff , cleaners , restaurant staff all of them are fantastic . Hotel itself is great pool area an it's only a short walk to everything , we went to portaventura twice , theme park is much better than any in England an ques are only 20 mins average an water park allso as amazing , allso went on a boat trip with pirates for the kids an this was allso a great way 2 spend the afternoon all trips were cheaper 2 buy of rose the Thompson rep an she tells u any good little tips . Overall this hotel ticks all the boxes for me an because of it easy fights an tranfers added think I will Defo return can be a little noises at road side late at night but it's very short lived the odd zoom of a car or shouting drunk , anyway if your going to this hotel unless your expecting the ritz or somthing I'm sure u will b very happy

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank Mattyty
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Our party of four has just returned from a weeks holiday at the Golden Avenida Suites Hotel.

Before we went a lot of research went into finding a good quality hotel that would accommodate myself and my wife son and his daughter. We needed three separate bedrooms and found this suite which contained two twin rooms and a double bed in the living room. About three weeks before our holiday I sent an email asking for a high floor and a room facing the swimming pool. The reply was they would do their best for the high floor but no suites like the one we had booked faced the pool. On our arrival at the hotel we were all delighted that our accommodation was on the sixth floor and had two levels with a twin bedroom and a double bedroom with a separate large bathroom and a cloakroom containing sink and toilet on one level. On the high level up a flight of stairs was another twin bedroom with one bed in it and a large living area with a sink microwave and small fridge.The next bonus was the lower level had a large balcony overlooking the road but the higher level had an enormous balcony overlooking the swimming pool.
We all found the staff were excellent in what they did. The food was of excellent quality and varied enough for all of our tastes. Everywhere was kept spotlessly clean from our bedrooms to dining area and swimming pool.
The hotel is situated a few minutes walk to shops and restaurants and about fifteen minutes from the beach. There can be a little hassle from people trying to entice you into their establishments for food or drinks but a polite "no thank you" worked in most cases.
We went all inclusive but their were some drinks and ice creams you had to pay a reduced price for them. This was a little disappointing but what you could get was still a large selection and some international drinks as well as the local ones.
I was told by my son and his daughter the pool was very cold but still great fun.
We knew before we went that this hotel is geared up for families and a lot of young children would be on holiday throughout the season. This meant the noise of young children having fun and very occasionally the odd tantrum was going to happen. Seeing the smiles and laughter was part of the pleasure we had in the hotel.
The hotel is what it is - it is a very well run family hotel.
If I came back to Salou with just my wife a different hotel would be needed but with my family it was a super holiday.

Room Tip: Our room 621 was ideal for us and had road and swimming pool views.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
6 Thank GJackson123
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Took my 2 children (5 & 1) for their first ever holiday abroad. Everything here is fantastic! The staff, the food, the swimming pool, the Thomson staff. Everything.

Would recommend to anyone with children as you won't be disappointed. There's so much for them to do!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Jade292
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at golden avenida suits for a week with my fiaceè and my 3 and half year old. hotel was great newish modern standard, didnt geat the room with a pool view i wanted but my room was great same in the rooms they were modern. Hotel staff were very nice wanted to help with what ever you needed. The good thing was it was kind of central not far from anywhere etc, 5 mins walk to the shops restraunts or 5 mins in taxi to port aventura theme park wich is great for adults and kids of all ages. We booked our park tickets through the travel agents €79 each per adult for 3 day 2 parks it was great only thing was would have needed to be there longer to do everything as 3 days was not enough. Were booking to go back again next year back to golden avenida suits as we had such a good holiday but we mite go all in its well value for your money as of having to eat out every night.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Peter D
Leicester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Myself, my husband and my 2 year old son stayed 1 week at the Hotel.

After reading many of the reviews prior to our stay I was a little worried......

However, the hotel itself was very nice. Extremely clean and well ran. We stayed in room 230 which was a 2 bedroom suite which overlooked the kids pool. I am very glad we didn't stay above the bar as music is pumping out most of the day. Around the pool during the day and during the evening entertainment. The music its self wasn't objectionable, but could do with turning down a little bit, but that's just personal taste.

We stayed half board and found the food pleasant enough but knew what to expect so wasn't disappointed. To be fair though it was better than we have had in 5 star hotels. Good selection and varied throughout the week.

The Thomson reps are very pleasant and work extremely hard and are happy to help. We chose not to use the kids club but heard it was very good.

The evening entertainment was good but due to our sons age we went back to our room most evenings before 10pm.

Comments relating to noise within the hotel are very accurate. Slamming doors, noise in corridors of people returning to their rooms was a bit of a pain but by mid night it was quiet.

The hotel has a problem with people reserving sun beds, you would watch people running out at 8am to place their sun bed in the best spot and put their towels down. A bit sad really!!!

Salou itself is a bit run down, but a lot of places are in Spain. We preferred Cambrilis but the hotels aren't very family friendly.

Overall, a nice holiday!

Room Tip: Choose a top floor room overlooking the pool ideally at the end of the corridor!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank NatnLeiws
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014 via mobile

Checked in 27th may and leaving on the 7th june, check in easy, staff at reception very helpfull, food is lovely, rooms clean every day, close enough to shops and beach, only let down is the pool, honestly you will be lucky to last 2 minutes its that cold, also the sun lounger rush at 8am is shocking, you will be disgusted by it, also had to remind thomson staff to switch on the air con as its in the brochure,

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family