“Good Hotel and very clean”

Hotel Evenia President
Ranked #52 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Belfast, Norther Ireland
“Good Hotel and very clean”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We have just returned from a week in Salou and we booked this hotel for our stay. Having read some of the reviews we were getting concerned about what to expect but we were quite happy with the hotel.

It is located in Salou town which is around 10-15 minute walk to the resort part of Salou where all the bars, clubs and restaurants are. You will find some bars and restaurants around the hotel but they are usually local and English is not so good. When we arrived we were expecting the hotel to be on the water front as some websites suggest it is a beach hotel which it is not. It is located very close to a beach though, only a 2-3 minute walk and you are at the beach so it's fine but there are no sea view rooms.

Having read some of the previous reviews we were worried about being given a room at the back of the Hotel that faces the wall and when we checked it this is exactly what happened. When we got to the room I immediately went down to reception to ask for a change as there is no real natural light gets into the room. However this room was on the 1st floor so maybe rooms higher up that face the wall get more light. After a while the lady at checkin changed our room to the 3rd floor and had as good a view that you are likely to get in this hotel. The room was very spacious with 2 double beds pushed together, a TV (no english stations), air con, fridge and safe (which you have to pay for). There is also FREE wifi which is great as I was working from time to time while we were there.

The bathroom is small enough but a big shower, there is not much room for the toilet as you have to squeeze past it to get into the shower but it is fine. The rooms are cleaned daily and left spotless. It is great to have the air con as we left it on at night and during the day so the room was cool when we got back.

All in all we were happy with the hotel, we would have prefered a hotel closer to the main resort but it is a nice stroll along the beach to get to the resort part of Salou. We would recommend the hotel for people looking a nice comfortable hotel that has all the ammenities in the room you need and that is away from all the hussle and bussle of the main resort.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank time_traveller81

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
West Midlands
Reviewed July 29, 2011

great for our purpose, party of girls, just stayed 2nights celebrating a birthday. Very clean, didn't bother with breakfast so can't comment. Reception staff polite and helpful. Good location for rail station and port. Roof top terrace needs a bit of a spruce up , jacuzzi was pleasant to cool off in but hardly any bubbles. No english tv.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2011

When looking for a place to stay in Salou I wanted a clean accommodation that's close to the beach and provides breakfast, too. In a way, Hotel President caters for all this but, there are other things they forgot mention on their website. For example, 12 of its rooms are facing the firewall and that you must be able to climb over the toilet to get into the (small) bathtub.
We were given a room on the 2nd floor, facing the firewall. Since it was a short stay and we travelled to Salou for it's beaches I couldn't care less that there is virtually no natural daylight rached the room. However, there are two massive ventillation outputs placed just outside our balcony, and it constantly spewed out greasy smell and not to mention the noise! Even though the balcony door was somewhat soundproof it still couldn't block out the continuous buzzing. The room was hot, so I put the a/c on. Then came a horrible flapping noise! I couldn't believe it, it sounded like a plastic flap was inserted in the ventillation.
I called reception and said that the room is noisy and I would like another one. I am sure the receptionist heard this request before, so with one breath she informed me that the hotel is full and I was the last one to arrive and the first room to be freed up is two days later but since I was going to leave on the third day there is no point for me to move. I told her about the flapping noise but she said she can only leave a message to get it repaired she won't be able to do anything there and then (which is fine, since it was already 9pm) - no apologies, etc to make us feel welcomed or anything.
Finally, the flapping sound stopped in about 15 minutes but it would start every time the a/c was turned on. We had to sleep with the a/c on because it's noise drowned out the industrial sounds from outside.
The bathroom was impossibly furnished. Sit on the loo and you can lean on the wash basin. Get in the bath by holding on to something so you don't fall on the loo (more exciting task when you're getting OUT of the bath!). Glass panes do not provide much water-insulation, so except a river in your bathroom. Showerhead hasn't been cleaned in ages, so water goes everywhere but where you direct it to. It is quite a mystery why the bathrooms had to be made so small - the bedroom consists of two generous sized double beds, so I don't understand why couldn't they buy smaller beds and make the bathroom bigger by a single foot? The beds were OK, but I didn't understand the pillow, that was so big it reached across the whole bed...
2nd night some loud spanish kids arrived to the hotel - I understand that it was their free time too, but one should consider other guests especially after midnight! I called reception and said that the people on the 3rd floor are loud. Turned out, the receptionist was russian and he didn't speak a word of english! My spanish was about as good as his english, so I got as far as saying 'thrid floor' to which he replied nyet... I think eventually another guest has had enough because after a bit of banging the kids went quiet. And later I found out that all reception staff were from Russia.
Breakfast: the selection was OK for 3 days, but for anything longer it would be pretty boring. Yogurt that doesn't have real fruit content, english breakfast with no scrambled egg, but good bread, pastries, pates and biscuits. Poor cereal choice and please-please avoid the 'juice' machine - it's nothing else but a plain too-sweet squash machine dispensing orange or pineapple flavoured water. There were fresh fruits, too, but you had to get there early to get the nice pieces as the basked was never filled up and honestly the fruits didn't look appetising at all. (pears, bananas, green apples, nectarines every day. 5 pieces of each)

I need to mention the rooftop pools, too. The view is quite something from the roof, but I could never manage to get any of the two jacuzzis to bubble. kept pressing the buttons but nothing happened. Other guests have had this issue, too but when they called reception, the handyman was sent up, who seemed to know the trick on how to operate the buttons (perhaps a sign would have helped).

All in all, I believe the Hotel President is a hotel that is missing it's fantastic opportunities - it could be a great hotel but it's not. Previous reviews mention rude guests - I haven't seen those but it is true that the hotel is mainly visited by Russians - it appears that Salou is quite popular with them. Go to Salou but if you choose to book at this hotel make sure you request a room away from the firewall and get prepared to do some loo-climbing!

Room Tip: Avoid booking rooms 101, 102, 103, 201, 202, 203, etc.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StripyFish

Travelers are raving about these Salou hotels

Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2011

I must say, when I first walked in through the main doors I was pleasantly surprised. It was clean, modern and the initial woman at the front desk was cheery. It only went downhill from there.
1) When they advertise that they have wifi in the hotel that is a half-truth. They do have wifi (and are making money off of you by advertising it) but when it doesn't work they (specifically the manager and Elena a horrible horrible woman working the front desk for most of the afternoon and evening hours) will do nothing to TRY to fix the situation. And it wasn't fixed for the duration of our stay. I capitalized "try" because all I wanted liked was for those in customer service to TRY to serve their customers. This lead to my next point.

2) WRECHED customer service. I am telling you, I have NEVER in my life been treated in such a poor manner by hotel staff. Elena (again, she was the only person who treated myself and my family like dirt but was working most of the day and evening as she was the only person we were able to deal with accordingly) would look at you after being presented with a problem and turn her head and shrug as if there was nothing she could do and should wouldn't lift a finger to try to help you. For instance, my family and I were trying to reach the main bus station to catch the airport bus to Barcelona. Since we didn't have the above mentioned wifi we could not help ourselves. Naturally we went to the front desk for help from a local. She said "you'll have to go to the bus station" My response was "can you please look it up on the internet, we will not be walking to the bus station only to find out the bus leaves in 5 hours, please look up times for us. If we had internet we would not be bothering you". She then said "No, I cannot look it up for you". I lost my cool, threw up my hands and began to walk away. She stood up and said "I understand what you are asking me" in a very rude tone. I turned around and said "then do what a hotel front desk does and help your customers when they ask for it, I know you have internet on your computer, I saw the girl earlier use it". She made a loud huff puff noise, sat down and proceeded to pull up, AND PRINT a bus schedule for us. WAS THAT SO HARD? She went through all of that for 1 minute of searching and printing!

In short, this hotel is a piece of coal among what I presume to be diamonds on the beach. You can't take 2 steps without seeing other hotels in this area of Salou. Do yourself a favor and keep your trip a holiday- do not book at Hotel Presidente. You don't need the added stress from mean front desk women.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank TravelMavenSoFla
Cork
Reviewed June 25, 2009

The rooms were not pretentious, but clean. The TV didn't work at first, but they fixed it. Quite a variety of food for dinner. Nice swimmingpool with a good sea view, but a bit noisy.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Belfast
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Stayed in the President in May this year.

All in all I thought it was a good hotel. Exterior & interior are quite modern and clean. Check in lady was nice.

Hotel is in a good location in the town, only 10 minute walk to bars and restaurants - 2 minutes to beach. Ideally located away from main hustle and bustle.

My brother in law was actually living in Salou at the time and said that the President was one of the better hotels in town and he had seen a few others.

Didn't eat or drink so can't comment of these unfortunately.

Liked the hot tubs on the roof, a nice change from the beach.

All in all I would give the president 7.5 out of 10

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank irish1Belfast
county antrim northern ireland
Reviewed August 25, 2007

just back from this hotel and it was lovely, clean, good food infact i looked forward to my dinner each night! rooms were good, even had flat screen tv and 2 double beds, bathroom had large power shower but no bath, no swimming pool but had lovely decked roof area with 2 hot tubs. The location was great only 50 metres from the beach and easy walk to everywhere else. The only problem is the reception staff!! they are ignorant, unhelpful, speak little english, they didnt seem to know any manners or how to treat or work with people!! they really let the hotel down!! therefor i can only give the hotel 4 out of 5....

• Liked — the food and location
  • Disliked — the reception staff!!!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family