“Pleasant Surprise!”

Apartments California
Ranked #17 of 69 Specialty Lodging in Salou
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I dont usually write reviews as I'm not usually easily pleased but not a moaner either. I just wanted to write this as I was apprehensive about going as I'd read so many bad reviews.

We booked this as a budget holiday, we usually go further afield and always stay in 4* plus but we wanted a bargain as we now have a baby and I am a full time mum so couldnt afford anything luxurious.

After entering the hotel and the appartment, I was pleasantly surprised. The reception and room was a little old fashioned but it was clean which was the main thing. The room was fine with a safe, spacious balcony, roomy living room and 2 bedrooms. We had only booked a one bedroom appartment but because we had the baby they put us in a 2 bedroom.

As soon as we arrived it was the babys bedtime, they sent the chambermaid up with a cot for the baby immediately. The first night, our shower leaked, this was 9pm and they sent the maintenance man to check it over and a cleaner to mop up the water, you cant ask for anymore than that.

The food was ok, not excellent quality but definately edible. I'm a very fussy eater and I dont eat meat but I still managed to eat a good meal every night. Breakfast was everything from cold meat and cheese to cooked breakfast to pastries.

From other reviews, I was expecting it to be a party hotel with loud music and groups of young people but it wasnt at all. There was more middle aged people and families there. I saw one group of young lads and they looked very much out of place there.

The location was perfect, 5 minutes walk from the beach and promenade. Supermarket opposite the apparments which must stock the same amount as a local Tesco, they had everything there! The hotel was 2 minutes across the road where we could use the pool and entertainment.

The staff were polite and helpful. The baby would sleep at 10 so I asked them to come after 12 every day and this wasnt a problem.The rooms were cleaned every day, fresh towels everyday (I was more than willing to use them twice) clean sheets everyday, again couldnt of asked for any better.

Our room was right by the lifts and stairs and the whole block is open so you can hear people walking up the stairs then through the corridors to their rooms. Some people are so inconsiderate coming in at 1am and slamming doors and shouting. The first night I couldnt get to sleep for 2 hours but thankfully it didnt wake the baby. The rest of the week, I got used to it and slept fine. If youre a light sleeper or love your sleep, take earplugs.I'm sure if it was a major issue they would be more than happy to move you.

I chose to stay in an appartment so I had everything I needed for the baby, eg, microwave, kettle etc. Just a few points to bear in mind if youre staying here (ecspecially with a baby):

There was no microwave or kettle (to sterilse bottles, warm milk etc)
We had to pay £20 to use the safe.
The rooms were quite loud, if youre a light sleeper, take ear plugs.
Dinner was 7.30pm which I thought was quite late as our baby usually goest to bed at 7pm.
The water in the taps is BOILING!! I burnt my hand a few times, be careful with children.

With our 1 year old son, we wento to Aqaupolis and Portaventura and had a fantastic week.

All in all, for a budget holiday and for the price we paid I was very pleased and would stay here again.

Hope you enjoy your holiday!

Room Tip: I'd ask for a quiet room, away from the lifts and stairs
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank danielle p

Reviewed June 28, 2012

we stayed at the california appartment half board for a week, appartment was very roomy, very clean 40 ft balcony, food was very good plenty of choice, staff were very friendly and helpfull, area was great , near to the shops,bars,beech. would recommend and would stay there again

Room Tip: end appartments have the big balconys
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sharon f
Reviewed June 12, 2012

we booked california apartments last minute and for what we paid we were overall happy, yes the room was a little dated but was very clean and the cleaners came in every day, all the staff was friendly and polite, we were half board and the food was very good, and a good choice, something for everyone. location is nearly perfect. if you have booked this hotel and are happy with what you paid then you should be very happy, i love to moan but i cant really fault this hotel for the price

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank lippyEngland
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I stayed at the california apartments in september 2011 for 7 nights arrived mid morning with no problems the apartments did look tired and shabby from outside when we got our key and went to our apartment I was rather disgusted it looked very much like a bedsit the so call sofabed was covered in stains and the kitchen very. Tired and it smelled of damp it. Didn't get any. Better when in the food dining room my husband is in remission from cancer and has diabetes so he went to take bottle of water into the dining room not knowing that you were not allowed the staff saw us coming and ran over to the table and snatched the glasses away and started muttering something in spanish so I went and bought a bottle of water 2euros and went and got 2 glasses then the lady waiter and man waiter stood over us talking to each other in spanish not knowing that I can. Understand spanish and knew what they were saying I just ignored them and this happened agin the following day at breakfast and dinner in the end I complained to apartments staff and said I was not eating here as the staff are very rude and have no manners what so ever in the end I was giving a pass to eat the rest of my meals at california gartdens hotel across the road .

• Stayed: September 2011
4  Thank jellybelly12010
Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one week in September, it is a budget hotel but the room was clean and adequate, air con. was free, TV was also free but very few English channels, no WiFi in the hotel but free in the bar next door out the back.The hotel does not have a pool but you are able to use the one across the road. The hotel is very central with only a short walk to the beach. the meals were ok, with a good choice buffet and eat as much as you like.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank terlga
Reviewed October 2, 2011

We have just returned from a week at the California appartments in Salou; last minute get away to find some sun and do no cooking for a week. Salou is Blackpool with sun; if you are not British, try to think of the tackiest resort you have ever been to and that will be a good guide. However, we went there knowing what to expect so no great surprises awaited us. The appartments were clean, except for a horrible sofa that smelled! beds were very comfortable and the apartment was a spacious 2 bedroom version with a decent sized balcony; no view as it faced another apartment block over the street. With the exception of the first night, the food in the restaurant was good; plenty of variety, decent quality and you could eat as much as you liked. Excellent breakfast that set us up for the day. On the downside, the streets in the immediate vicinity have a look of inner city decay; a leaking fountain that floods an untidy square, broken paths and some horrible `British Pubs`; ok, the last part is in the eye of the beholder and plenty of people seemed to want to drink British beer all day long and eat British food. There are some good quality hotels in this immediate vicinity too, and I found it surprising that they put up with the couple of streets surrounding them. The sea front area is impressive and very well maintained; it is possible to reach it via nice tree lined streets away from low class establishments. The apartments are noisy at night; in the main this is because they are built in a rectangular shape with an open centre; everywhere is tiled and every noise is amplified; especially when the morons begin to filter back from the bars in the early hours of the morning and take delight in slamming their apartment doors. This was the worst feature of the California in my view; even when someone accidentally let a door go it echoed terribly. We were unfortunate enough to be near the lift shafts, and the winding noise from the lifts was very noticeable. There is a sister hotel over the dual carriageway to the right as you exit the appartments; the road can be crossed safely by pedestrian controlled traffic lights. The hotel has a nice pool area with plenty of sunbeds and a pool bar, if you want that sort of thing; it was nice to cool off there in the early evening. The apartments are popular with visitors from eastern europe, and there were many of them there; no rude Germans I am happy to report! Most people arrived for dinner in smart casual dress, however there just as many who looked (and smelled) as if they had just walked off a hot beach; shorts flipflops and offensive tee shirts being their idea of dressing for dinner; in some cases I wondered if they were used to eating at tables at all, the manners of some were appalling. We found the staff pleasant and had no complaints with the way the hotel was run, however, they do need to impress upon their guests the need to close doors in a considerate manner. If you do go, take a trip along to Cambrils, 10 minutes on the excellent bus service takes you to a classy resort; we would consider staying there for a holiday in future but would not go back to Salou. Take in Tarragona with its nice architecture and Roman remains, which are amongst the best in western Europe.

Room Tip: Unless you are on a budget, don`t stay here; seriously, do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank brian1948
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Very basic hotel , room was very clean apart from the bed settee which thankfully we didnt have to use!.it was really smelly. Towels changed every day , bed once , cleaner in every day to sweep, mop , etc .Breakfast was great , although , did get a bit fed up with the very rude German people we encountered. Biggest draw back was about the pool. We had to use the sister hotels pool , we were early risers , but could never get a sunbed!.Towels everywhere!.Used the very beautiful beach , but fourteen euro every day for beds and umbrella , was a bit silly. Salou is a fab place to visit , but maybe another hotel would serve better .The thomas cook rep was a waste of time , late to the meeting , and never encountered her again!.

Room Tip: Higher floors were best
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends