“wouldnt let my dog stay here” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Apartamentos Arquus
Ranked #86 of 95 Hotels in Salou
Dundee, United Kingdom
“wouldnt let my dog stay here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

we were in salou from 29th september 2012 for 2 weeks, and i have never stayed in a place like this in my life. we were in the arqus 4apartments when we arrived there we had to pick up our keys from another hotel which was a good 45 minute walk and with 3 grandchildren and 5 cases it wasnt easy. when we finally got to the other hotel their reception 24hr was also closed. our first time in salou 1am in the morning and the kids were terrified . we had to book into another hotel for 1 night which cost us 60 euros plus 100 deposit. we finally got our keys the next day and when i walked in the room it was absolutly stinking fridge and cubords were filthy no toilet brush double matress on our landing all stained with blood 4 small hand towles . we were exauhsted by night and fell into bed only to fall right through to the floor my husband is a joiner so i thought he could fix it but when we took the matress away the spars under it were only laid on the metal frame no place to attach them the spars were all different sizes we complained to the reception the next day and wes told it would be fixed so i asked him for the key to get acess to the pool for the kids only to be told the pool was closed for the season so we just went for a walk to try and calm down then returned to the room only to find the bed not fixed went back to reception but he had closed early so it was another night on the floor same again next day promised that the bed would be sorted but it never happened so i just lost the plot and phoned back home to my travel agent who got us moved to another hotel which was great. the next day sitting at the pool we learned that 24 other people had walked out ther rooms because of the dirt smell and dirty nappies and other rubbish that was left by the prievious tennants i am not a a fussy person at all but honestly it was just the pits.

Room Tip: i couldnt even rate this place it looked like a run down tower block of flats
Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank kathleen m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Norwich, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

I booked this apartment and then read the reviews, so was expecting the worst. It wasn't nearly as bad as we expected but then we knew that this was a "no frills" apartment.

Positives:
- location was excellent for busses to Cambrils, Reus, Barcelona and Tarragona.
- very short walk to shops, restaurants and beautiful beaches
- safe and friendly environment (apart from the pesky street vendors/drug dealers)

Negatives:
- the apartment was outdated with a few tiles missing on walls,
- the fridge was a bit smelly
- only one hob got hot enough to work
- towels were TINY - bring your own
- the swimming pool was closed
- the never-ending NOISE... There was a dog that barked non-stop 24/7 and the arcade owners and restraunteers below the apartments NEVER sleep. The hotel down the road had VERY loud musicians every night until at least midnight (we made the most of it and sat on the balcony enjoying the free free to roam the streets. No wonder the rest of the world hates us!We had to buy ear plugs (available from the pharmacy) which worked a treat.

I would recommend Salou as a cheap British resort but if you're looking for authentic spanish food and people then Cambrils is much better. We are a young couple *(Early 20's) on a serious budget so the Arquus in Salou was an excellent, very cheap base but we spent most of our days in very classy Cambrils, Reus and Tarragona.

Cambrils has a lovely little beach cafe called Neptuna - they served delicious tapas at good prices. Salou had a nice care/restaurant called Cafe Palermo - also strong recommended.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any "good rooms" here. It is purely a budget apartment - book...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank DingleyB
Beckenham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I was there last week and had the same experiences as many other reviewers on here..

We got into Salou around 9.30pm and were dropped off at a crowded reception with noise from a local disco blaring away in the background and got in the qeue to get our keys. We were in Arquus 4.

Nobody had told us either that we were expected to pay a 50 euro deposit per person for our rooms. Not having cash handy, I had to hand over my card details instead. We were then handed our keys, told the directions and walked about 10 minutes down the roads to a place that we were relieved to see was slightly quieter. When we got there, the flats were nice and spacious, but very much in need of an update. They were also not particularly clean. The bathroom smelt pretty bad, and looking under the toilet bowl was certainly a shock!!

We had been given an info card with details of what was required from us during our stay there. Whilst I understand that companies wish to safeguarde themselves against people trashing their properties, the requirements went above and beyond what I would expect of even the cheapest short term holiday resort accomodation. When we read through this information we were shocked to find out that, like in a residential letting situation, after paying quite a lot of money for them, WE were required to clean all the rooms to an acceptable standard ourselves on leaving the accomodation, and take ALL rubbish to the outside bins. As it was in no way detailed what this exactly entailed, some people spent ages cleaning their accomodation from top to bottom for fear of losing their deposits. Not only that, but we were given virtually nothing to accomplish this with (a mop bucket, a dust pan, and a brush (hence the awful toilet situation!!)). We had to borrow a mop from next door and cleaned all the cabinets etc before we swept and mopped the floors at least twice before we left on the night before/morning of our departure. We also spent time photographing any exisiting damage as we knew that by the time we got back to England (as they had my card details and could take what they wanted from it) it would be difficult to fight any claims for damage we had not caused. It certainly made the last morning Far more stressful that it should have been..

In all, the equipment we were given was very ad hoc. Whilst we had a million bedsheets, we had 4 small towels for the whole week. Next door had 4 plastic chairs, we had none, We had 4 mugs, they had 2.. etc..

Back to the dreaded deposit, the officies did not open until reasonably late, and sometimes closed at random times. The office also required time to check your accomodation before they returned your deposit. This meant that some people with early flights, who had paid in cash, were forced to leave the country without regaining their money. Others, having already paid to stay there, checked out the day before and stayed in hotels elsewhere before their departure day to ensure this did not happen.

Please do NOT use this to judge this organsation, but just be aware if you are in Salou.. I used my debit card on 3 occasions in total, one to give my deposit details to the accomodation people, one in a cash point closest to where we stayed, and one in a supermarket later in the holiday. The cash point was the only thing my boyfriend used as well as me. He had no issues, but when I returned home, I found my card had been blocked. Someone had been skimming little bits of money off my account since I had been in Spain... Please check..

All I can say in conclusion is, beware the deposit, and that Arquus 4 is a residentail place, NOT suitable for, short term holiday accomodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rebecca W

Travelers are raving about these Salou hotels

Workington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Really terrible place for Thomas Cook to have put two people who clearly stated we want 'somewhere quieter'. If this was their version of quiet I hate to think what noisy is.
We were in Arquus IV. The rooms were basic, which didn't bother us too much. However there was no air -con, and also we had no light in the bedroom. There were two ceiling fans, one in the bderoom and one in the living room - neither worked, and to be honest had they worked we would have been covered in the inch thick dust that had been sitting on the blades for years evidently. The bed was uncomfortable. There was a lot of damage to the apartment - so I'm not really sure what they do with the 50 euro deposits/credit card numbers they take in case of damage as it appears they never replace or mend anything that's broken. On one night I tried to sleep on the sofa bed - extremely difficult to work out how to get to the matress bit - and when I did and turned it over it had blood stains in the middle - ?? someone's period. Needless to say we didn't use that!
By day we had a reasonable time, went to Montserrat and Barcelona (tip get the train to Barca by yourself like we did - 30.80 euros return, don't bother with the organised trips - heard very bad things about them) and had some beach time. The beaches in Cap Salou are much nicer - the sea in Salou was filthy - full of plastic stuff, inconsiderate tourist's cigarette butts (lazy idiots). Cap Salou can be reached on the little tourist train ( Line 2/blue 3 euros there and back) or the public buses - or you could probably walk if you are fit enough. We shopped at the Suma supermarket (not open Tuesdays i think) - better prices than the Brits abroad tourist trap smaller ones nearer the hotels, and also the municipal market in the old town (walk to the old town and past the level crossing and it's a bit further up on the right and is signed - opens at 6pm in the afternoon) this has lots of local products including olives, cakes (fruit and nut tarts to die for), meats, cheeses and fish and shellfish.

However by night it was like we had booked a week in Guantanamo Bay for a spot of sleep deprivation torture. First there were the two Karaoke bars just underneath the hotel - 7 nights of idiots shouting out Jonny Cash songs, trying to outcompete each other, the music seemed to get louder and louder and remained like that until two or 3 in the morning - earplugs didn't help all that much. On top of that, on Sunday/Monday/Tuesday and Wednesday nights you also had the dulcet tones of dance music being pumped out from some music live bar across the road - no idea what they were doing, however songs were played as loudly as possible for 2 minutes and then stopped and started again, I could hear some sort of compere - were they playing some sort of torturous musical chairs???? Again that went on till 3am. After this you might think that sleep would come - oh no, as well as ongoing noise from drunk Karaoke afficienadoes returning to their rooms,the temperature of the rooms rose to solar proportions with all the air sucked out because we had to close the windows due to the noise - this lasted approximately 2 hours - by 4-5am the temperatures inexplicably plunged to fridge proportions either waking anyone fortunate enough to have slipped into a sleep and air deprived exhaustion coma, or prolonging the torture if you were still awake. Again this lasted for another 2 hours - and if you are planning to sleep by day/morning forget it - the pool attendant then gets his sand/leaf blower out at 7/8am - the noise roughly sounded like someone had parked a motorbike with a hole in its exhaust on out balcony and was sat there revving it - this goes one for roughly 45 mins - 1 hour, then people start going down to the pool area. By which time the night has passed and you realise your chance of sleep has also disappeared up its own backside. Imagine this repeated for 7 nights in a row and you might imagine why I am now sitting back home, still almost delirious with tiredness, dreading work tomorrow and a possible chest infection coming on. We also noticed small red bites appearing all over us a couple of days before departure - Although we never saw any, on Googling bed bugs - these bites look and sounds suspiciously like them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Rensrubyshoes
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

We were told by Thomas Cook that Arquus was in a lovely quiet area of Salou right near the beach. What a joke! The five apartments they own are on the main strip above bars and clubs. This is a place for people who want to party all night and sleep all day (young teenagers or Brits abroad types). We were on the back of Apartment 4 and we were still kept awake every night by relentless Jonny Cash songs being churned out at the two Karaoke bars next to it. Not even Bioears would block out noise. Got a total of two hours sleep a night. Oppressive heat due to no air-conditioning. The apartment was filthy, dust everywhere and looked like it hadn't been cleaned for months. Double IRON bed and pillows so uncomfortable. Limited cutlery, no kettle or microwave. The pool area badly needed updating and we spied a Tom cat spraying on the sun beds every night which put us off. I would advise anyone who is considering staying here to look elsewhere ,Cap Salou looked better. If you have already booked then upgrade to somewhere else and do it quick.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here. Try Cap Salou or towards Cambrils as we heard these were quieter.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Rubyren84
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

These appartments are the worse place I have ever stayed, the staff are rude no help what so ever. Having just spent a week there I am more tired than when I went due to the noise of a barking dog, drunken people shouting till all hours, we had to clean the flat ourself's before we left otherwise get charged 60 euro's what a laugh. How the place is a 3 stars makes one wonder. The curtains were black needed washing, the shutter just missed my head reception man very rude not interested, 1 toilet roll 4 towels no cleaner all week just you do it....50 euros deposit incase you cause any damge, in my opoin this would inprove things lol....I would not even send a tramp to stay here...disgusting place .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank michelle y
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

If you want a decent place to stay do not stay here the apartment picture is not real! You don't get any towels there's no reception or cleaners. They took 200 euros as a deposit of which I won't get back until I get home having to give my credit card details. The pool is in the shade all day . It is the worst place I have ever stayed in . I know it was a cheap holiday but I wish I would of paid a bit extra and gone else where! Go home tomoro and I can't wait.

• Stayed September 2012