“DO NOT BOOK”

Apartamentos Catalonia Gardens
Ranked #51 of 69 Specialty Lodging in Salou
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Booked this through a Travel Agents then after reading the reviews I tried to change & was advised that this was 1 of the better of that group!! After arriving with our 2 young sons to discover all groups of boys drinking & Smoking their own roll ups.. not normal cigarettes.. Our 2 boys as well as my husband & myself felt so unsafe. A few of the doors you could see had been clearly kicked in & boarded up. We went straight back round to the Salou Suite where i have to say the girl did not hesitate to have us moved round there the next day.. We learned through our 2 weeks stay in Salou that there had been a lot of people moved from these apartments & we were then told by a local that there are at least 3 Brothels being run from these 3 Blocks of apartments.... We did go on to have a great time in Salou & would return...

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank suzyqallan

Reviewed June 20, 2013

just got back from the worst holiday ive ever had, 3 adults 1 -2 year old.
we arrived 2.45 am dumped on a corner by coach driver,told in hes language ,arm signs,to go down a hill and turn left as were we was booked into was shut. I popped into a hotel next to where he dropped us and asked a nice man at reception what to do,he said the hotel owners had 3 hotels in that area and had to go down the hill to book in.not impressed,down the hill we trudge ,3 suitcases 1 push chair.a man at reception says ur booked in here,to sleepy to argue we all go to room.no cot for baby.had to sleep in bed.
well that night we experienced what the rest of the week was going to be like!!!
the noice from drunks etc falling out of night clubs went on till at least 6am it was horrendous.
3 times we asked to be moved but told there is no rooms for you.
rooms;
disgusting,dirty,old old old furniture.dirty cutlery in drawer,shower only worked with bath water on as well.you have to like ants,there hundreds of them.woke up with them in my bed disgusting.
no cleaner all week.no clean towels sheets all week,so we demanded some.
if u want a kettle have to hire it
if you want a toaster u have to hire it
if u want tv control u have to hire it.
1 toilet roll for all.
air conditioning was a tumble dryer hose over the top of cabinets in kitchen.
we didn't get a good nights sleep at all.this place is for young piss heads only.
pool area was dirty fag buts every where.disgusting.
a small boy cut hes foot open on sum glass IN the pool .
when I asked y we wasn't in catolina garden like I booked I was told that they upgraded us from a 3 star to a 2 star with a reception and there was no pool water were we had booked at catolina gardens.THIS IS A SHAM FROM START TO FINISH.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank 327BETTYBOO
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I turned up to stay here after taking a late deal to find reception boarded up and no staff. I was stuck outside for an hour with my luggage and my young niece. Had to phone emergency line and they told me to go to salou suite appartments down the road. Luckily they let me stay there on my accommodation voucher and it was really nice. DO NOT BOOK FOR CATALONIA GARDEN APPARTMENTS otherwise you will run into problems by getting the keys. Also no signs or notices of instructions on arriving here. Hope this helps.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank 187AndyH187
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stayed here with a few friends back in July and it was pretty basic but it was okay for what we needed. We only was in the room to sleep and shower and was out pretty much most of the time. This therefore was not an issue for us. The room rate was cheap and therefore you get what you pay for pretty much.
Stayed for a week here which we encounted a huge upset on the third day of our holiday. We were staying on the 5th floor on the second block and had clearly become a target as we were perhaps known to other residents that we were young and English and therefore might of had a few expensive things to steal. On the third day of our holiday we ventured out of our holiday room to visit the complex's own pool which is overlooked by all the residents on the opp side, clearly noticing we were out of our room. In the afternoon one member of our party went back up to the room to use a toilet and had noticed things were fine. on returning it took only one hour for one other person to go back up and we had been robbed in that very short time.
Clearly this was planned!
Someone had been watching and targeted us from day one and knew we had left the apartment in order to go in and steal our very valuable belongings which put a huge damper on our holiday not only to mention I couldn't sleep at all from that day onwards because I felt so unsafe! I would hate to think what would of happened if one of us may of been in the room whilst the robbery was taking place I dare not to even think of it.

Spoke to one of the maintainance guys who appeared to of worked in the apartment and knew of the robbery. He appeared helpful even though he couldn't speak a lot of english but did display a few odd behaviours after it happened. We were moved to a larger room on another block and every night since the robbery the maintenance man and another man who worked with him would stand on the roof and drink what i could only imagine to be cans of beer of some sort!
Highly unprofessional!!
What was more scary was they liked to shine torches on us at random times. This was disturbing and made us all feel very uncomfortable. I started to lose my trust in them to be honest and thought they probably had an involvement with the robbery. they had a very close relationship to a dodgy couple that was on our floor when we got robbed.
Again the mind only wonders if they were all in it together as the timing was perfect as they were all in on it.
On reflection a few of us decided to take a walk around the hotel. We had noticed that ALL the doors except 3 were fitted with strong double locks and some had security alarms....

clearly alarm bells are ringing.. robbery is clearly an issue here.
As our door was a bog-standard thin cardboard door, no wonder we were an easy target!!
Would of thought this would of been made safer? Again the mind wonders and thinks maybe they just replace the door with a crappy one to put foreigners in as they are easy targets and the cycle happens again and again.

One thing we have learnt is to hide all valuables from electricals to jewellery and WILL NOT BE EVER STEPPING FOOT IN THIS PLACE AGAIN!

Room Tip: If you value your safety, security and want a lot of a holiday.... Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Missy w
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We went to this hotel at short notice in September 2012. Upon getting off the transfer coach we were dropped off on the corner near these apartments and the driver started to do hand gestures about us getting the keys. After walking to what looked to be the main gate we saw a notice which told us to go to the Salou Suites hotel. We walked a while with cases in tow to this hotel, who told us that because we had booked with Brisasol we had to go to another office. We then proceeded to this office to check in. Upon arrival we were asked for a 100 euro deposit which we were not aware of. We paid the deposit and proceeded to the black door as we were told. These apartments had no reception or staff on site just a combination of three keys to get in the building/apartment. Once in the building we were greeted by the lift, which frankly scared me as i thought that if the lift got stuck, no one would ever find us.
Once in the apartment it was very basic, no tv, very little in the way of cooking equipment. There was no maid service throughout our stay here.The pool was closed for the last two days. There was no pool bar and you were not allowed food or drink by the pool. We booked this holiday under the name Catalonia Brisasol but this name isn't recognized on this site. This appeared to be a mostly residential site with very few holidaymakers.....it wasn't good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Enniwa2011
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Arrived on the 17th September to this awful apartment block. No reception doors locked like a ghost site! Finally asked a cleaner for help no English at all so a care taker understood wat I was sayin... After I explained tat I was meant to be stayin ere the cleaners then brought me down to the reception (which was a 10 minute walk) down the main shopping street to a place called brisasol... Wanted 100euro deposit which I did not pay due to the way I was dealt with wen I arrived... Got keys went to apartment an hour later... NO aircon no towels place was falling apart!!!! I was disgusted with the place we left to go for a walk to see the pool.. Ha it was closed surprise surprise. Had to hop a fence then a wall to look at the pool. No sun beds and pool was full of insects... So we left and walked up the street to another hotel. We asked if they had accom for the week as I was not stayin in Catalonia apartments! The lady in salou pacific hotel was very very nice, she had a lovely room for us and transferred us from the other kip to her hotel... Eventually we started to enjoy the start of our holiday. Thank you to salou pacific for all there help... Guys do not do not book into Catalonia apartments... And finally salou is a fabulous place... Much to see and much to do...

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Shaco12
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Catalonia Gardens, Salou, Spain

Having seen the honest and frank reviews of the place the day before we headed out to Catalonia Gardens, I was expecting the worse.

First our bus driver didn't even know where it was (he stopped at California Gardens and was adamant this was the right place - we wished it was!), then as expected, the reception was closed/boarded up with a small sign and map saying to collect the keys from Salou Suite. When we finally found this, we had to leave a 100 Euro deposit (which we got back, no questions asked at the end of the week). Not off to the best start!

Yes the resort is a mixture of residents and those on holiday, so we often saw dogs/cats etc in the building.
Yes the resort is 'basic' at best. It's very very hot all the time (no air con in any of the rooms) and as it is close to the main strip, there was nightclub noise from around 11.30pm-3am.

However, as a lot of the people in the resort were there for the nightlife, they didn't awake until midday, meaning we as a young family had full use of the on site pool first thing in the morning.

Having read a lot of reviews, being robbed was my biggest concern. Fortunately, we didn't experience anything, or hear anything of the sort.
There was a guard on patrol around the corridors during some nights and we went out from the crack off dawn until gone midnight on some days, leaving all our clothes etc in the room and nothing was touched at all.

The room itself could be described as a 'fixer-upper' - the shower leaked through the wall into the bedroom area on the other side, each door had a wooden panel placed on it, where it looked as though someone had punched a hole in it, we steered clear of the dirty cooker and there wasn't even bowls or tea cups provided.

We were advised and booked Catalonia Gardens through PortAventura itself (through the theme park's actual website) as the park was all we really went to Salou for. I was surprised (and let PortAventura know!) that they would be associated with such a run down resort.

If you're looking for somewhere just as a base, to sleep, shower and store your clothes etc, Catalonia Gardens is fine. The pool was lovely, separated into a small kids pool and a larger adults one on a level above, PortAventura is a 10 minute bus ride away and the beautiful sandy Salou beach is just a five minute stroll down one road to get to.
But the resort itself is a mess. In need of restoration. In its heyday it was probably a thriving attraction, but the boarded up reception area and dilapidated and closed down poolside bar show visitors of what this site could have been, or perhaps once was.

Fresh towels and bed linen were provided only once in our seven night stay and neither the dirty towels or linen or even rubbish bags were taken during our visit.

Naturally, there wasn't any evening entertainment, so we headed to the nearby Oasis Hotel and watched their live shows and our kids joined in the mini disco and games (all free).

If you head to Catalonia Gardens expecting it to be basic but a decent base with a lovely pool, you won't be disappointed. For anything else, pay the extra and look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family