“Noisy rooms”

Ranked #71 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Noisy rooms”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

If you like to listen to the noise of arguments,tolets, snoring and lovemaking from adjoining bedrooms this is the hotel fro you. If you like food that has had all the flavour and texture cooked out of it, ths is the hotel for you. If you like very loud music and drunken beahviour, this is the hotel for you. Otherwise go anywhere but here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cymrotom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Boston, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This holiday was a spur of the moment thing after seeing an advert. in a local paper. We are not widely travelled and this was the first time to Spain. Having booked the holiday we then looked at Tripadvisor and thought 'what have we done?'. However, the reality was, in our opinion, not too bad. For us, the staff were efficient and polite and very helpful. The restaurant manageress was super. How the barmen cope with the huge number of demanding Brits I don't know but they did it well. The food was 'pub-grub' type with the odd bit of Spanish thrown in. Apart from being less than warm in some cases it was varied, plentiful and tasty. I will agree that the room and, in fact, the hotel in general could do with a 'warm-up' but we found it clean. Our room was well cleaned every day, sheets were changed in the middle of the week and clean towels were supplied when requested. The insulation in the hotel is really bad and that is the only real downside as every noise in every room can be heard. If we were to stay in this hotel again we would take earplugs for sleeping. Yes, Salou was a ghost town but this suited us. We don't like crowds nor do we need the nightlife. The visit has shown that we may need to research hotels a bit more if we go again but we would definitely go towards the end of the season. overall we feel that we had good value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IAN C
Kent
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I tried to go here with an open mind after reading all the negative reviews. At the end of the day, we paid an absolute pittance to stay here all inclusive, so we weren't expecting a lot! And, overall, I'd say we got a bargain. It probably is the worst 'holiday' hotel we've stayed in, but that doesn't mean it was bad - it has a lot of good points, and we still enjoyed our week away.
To address some of the points from negative reviews:
The walls/doors really are paper-thin. You can hear your neighbours having a conversation, and everything that happens in the bathroom. This is obviously more of a problem if you have thoughtless neighbours or disrespectful people on your floor who like to shout/talk loudly as they walk down the corridor. We were generally lucky in this respect and managed to block out next door's TV/talking and sleep through it. I would recommend bringing earplugs though.
We noticed a slight sewerage smell in the bathroom about three times. Each time it lasted maybe five minutes. Maybe other people were unluckier, but it really wasn't a problem.
The food was fine. I've eaten in nicer hotels, and it was rather more repetitive than other hotels I've been to, but I found that most of the food was very nice, and there was enough choice for the adulys and the children (always chips and pasta for those too unadventurous to try new things). There was always salad, fresh fruit, fish, meat, bread and vegetables and a wide range of puddings, although this did not vary much from day to day.
The queues varied - a couple of times, there were long queues outside to get into the restaurant, and then queues inside to get your food. Other times, no queues at all. We never struggled to find a table, though, and lunchtime was generally quieter. They could do with extending their mealtimes to accommodate everyone, as the restuarant was really to small to cope with a full hotel. The queues at the bar in the evening were generally pretty long, although they were non-existent at other times of the day.
We can't comment on much of the entertainment, as we did not stay in the hotel during the day, or watch the evening entertainment. We did join in the quiz every evening at 8.30 (which would have been fine except winning seemed to involve then making a fool of yourself to get the prize, resulting in us keeping quiet!), and then the mini-disco - very short, but the kids loved it. The animation staff were certainly enthusiastic.
The hotel is on a hill, but we didn't find it particularly steep or a problem, even after a long walk. It is in Cap Salou, which is outside of Salou. I don't know what it's like in season but, in October, it ispretty dead, and only one bar and the handy Spar supermarket round the corner from the hotel were open. There are, however, a couple of lovely coves just a few minutes from the hotel, and it is a lovely walk to Salou, discovering more lovely beaches along the way. I'd say it takes at least half an hour to walk to Salou (it took us longer, but we have young children and walked slowly). There is a bus stop round the corner from the hotel, and I think there are regular buses into Salou and La Pineda.
The rooms were small but not as cramped as I'd expected. All four beds were pushed together like a giant king-size btu, actually, this was okay. There was enough room to put our stuff, and it felt like there was enough space for us - maybe I would have felt different if we were there for more than a week. There were two chairs on the balcony, and we simply moved a table from the room outside when we wanted it. My husband though the beds were a bit hard, but I found it very comfortable and slept very well. The bathroom was a decent size, and we didn't have any problems with the shower - it was hot and didn't splash! The cleaning was done regularly and to a good standard.
We found the staff polite and helpful, though some were definitely friendlier than others. We generally found that when you are friendly and polite yourself, you get it back. (And yes, it does help to attempt a little Spanish - you are in Spain! Gracias goes a long way!) The way some clientele treated the staff, however, means you can hardly blame them from being grumpy sometimes.
The clientele are the main problem with this hotel - its price attracts certain people and this can have a big effect on your holiday. We saw kids running riot and climbing on the pool tables with no parental supervision, and teenagers hanging around at all hours. We didn't personally have any problems but I can imagine the hotel has a lot of trouble with some of its guests and who is staying near you could make or break your holiday. Towards the end of our week, there seemed to be more Spanish guests and less Brits and I must admit this made for a calmer holiday.
Other points:
If you have a hire car, don't pay for hotel parking (8 euros a day!) - there is plenty on-street, although maybe not outside the hotel.
We always go away in October half-term, so we are used to staying in a ghost town. But I would say Salou is the liveliest place we've ever been at this time of year - most of the shops, restaurants and bars were open and there were more people than we've ever seen in October. A drive though Cambrils suggested the same thing, although La Pineda was very quiet. I can't imagine how anyone found Tarragona empty - everything was open when we went, it was just like going to any other city, rather than a 'holiday resort'.
I thoroughly recommend Port Aventura at Halloween - if you have children, it's worth making the effort to bring a costume, as at least a third of the guests (including adults!) were dressed up - there was a great atmosphere and the queues were short, as it's not half-term in Spain. However, avoid 1 November, as this is a bank holiday in Spain, and the place was packed, with 2-hour queues.
Overall, there are a lot of things the hotel could do to improve, but this would involve spending money and putting the prices up - this may solve the clientele problem as well, of course, but it may also put the hotel out of people's price-reach. The bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you can't afford or don't want to spend much, then this is a good, basic hotel where you can have a good time as long as your expectations match your pocket. If you want more, then you have to be willing to pay for more - simple! Would I return? To Salou, definitely, although preferably when the children are older and can get more out of Port Aventura - and definitely out of season. To the hotel? Maybe - it depends what we can afford!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank HolidayObsessive1
south yorkshire
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Where do I start at this dreadful place?
First we arrived with 3 young children around 11am to our room not ready and had to wait till 1pm one of our rooms smelled of raw poo so much so I refused to open the bathroom door meaning I never used the bathroom things ie toilet bath sink,meaning I had to always go to my other family members room,I told cleaner and staff to which nothing was done.
The food was dreadful mad 3 of our party poorly (sick) my son was sick and didn't make it to the loo so went on bed told reception but they wouldn't give us clean bedding so was made to not use the bed that night and had to sleep on floor ( well daddy did as was not gonna let a 8year old sleep on the cold floors )
Staff very rude except bar staff that was lovely to my kids oo and brian the kids entertainer
As for the loud noise from the children that think it is quiet ok to run along every floor resulting in keeping my baby awake right in to the early hours god knows we're the parents were?? To me it resembles a youth club and I'm no old fart I'm 29 and even I got pretty peed of with it as did a lot of guests but again hotel staff refused to do naff all
Washer dryer ruined my clothes
Food was same every day and was always reheated from morning to the evening meal
The hotel is no way near salou it self
The only time I saw security guard was drinking at the bar
Entertainment was shocking some days never turned up
Drinks was ok
To sum up my stay here I would say its a bag of poo that needs to be levelled to the ground

Room Tip: Don't stay at the hotel full stop