“Never go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Ontario Apartments

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Salou
Ontario Apartments
Ranked #33 of 72 Specialty Lodging in Salou
Galway, Ireland
“Never go back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2011

Stayed in the Apartments for 2 wks, I was crying at the end of the first wk to go home. Our apartment was on the first floor over the supermarket. The deliveries in the morning woke us up from 7:30am every morning and the fighting from other boozed up holiday makers my kids witnessed from early hours in the morning was terrifying, my kids were so frightened and upset by this experience. The reception staff were not at all helpful when we requested to be moved to a different location in the complex. I left a few items behind and when i phoned the reception of the apartments to try to retrieve the items back at my expense she keeps telling me to call back tomorrow and that she has to talk to the cleaners about the items, to date still no joy getting my items back. I said that the cleaners have either taken my items or thrown them in the bin and the receptionist said "ya I agree they must of" what a reply. I will never ever return to Cap Salou and I will never recommend the apartments to anyone, the worst holiday I and my kids ever had.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank shargalway

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

My family consisted of 11 years old, 10 years, 32 years and the boss and I. It was our first time to Cap Salou and the Ontario Appartments. We looked at the reviews and a little concerned how negative some where. Each to their own and with an open mind we carried on.

On arriving the staff was superb and very friendly. We went straight to our room and experienced our first attraction, the dancing lifts. The room was large and clean although more rings for cooking would have been better. I appreciate we were visitors but it would have been nice to have Sky News. The food was basic but very nice and the bar staff exceptionally friendly.

The pool was ok, full at times but exceptable. DJ Sammy was great, mingled with all guests and made friends with the kids straight away. Although the mini disco used the same CD it was ok. Events were arranged and Sammy did his best. The bingo was different as sometimes Sammy would get them mixed up, he would say 1 and 8 80. The other key phrase was, "Don't worry, be happy"

A little out the way from Salou but it was quiet from party go'ers although a local dog was barking at 6 every morning. A quick bus ride and you in the main areas.

Overall a very good place to visit and thanks to all the staff and 'Matty' from Thomas Cook for a great holiday.

• Stayed July 2011
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

this was our first time to stay in cap salou . apartments really big with big balcony to there my 3 daughters had a ball 12 , 5, and 2. abit away from salou but bus very regular just around the corner and if u buy a bus card for 2 euro out of any red boot that sell trips then top them up in any tabacness shop for 9 euro u get 10 trips and it can be multi used on the whole family so dead handy for jumping on and off other wise bus can be expencive for family trips. kids really enjoyed the disco at nite even if it was same music every nite .. but crows next had tribute acts that the kids loved it is just down the hill which will have u fit by the end off the holiday. i would recomend ontario apartments we really enjoyed our holiday there and would return

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank nelsmam
Merthyr Tydfil, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

My first review so here goes.......we came here on holiday as a family the last two weeks in july 2010, our children aged 10, 6, 5 and 4 mths.
We arrived to friendly staff, a refundable deposit is required of 100 euros and safe was 20 euros a week.
Our appartment was very clean and spacious. Although to advertise as self-catering appartments, I think is a joke. We had a six - bed appartment with small table that had four chairs, cooking facilities were two ring hob which struggled to fit two saucepans on and a microwave, it was lucky we had small children because you would struggle to cook enough for 6 adults. The maids came every day, apart from wednesday and saturday, to make beds and fresh towels, we had clean sheets a few times so there didn't seem to be a set day given.
The pool opened at 10 and closed at 7, size sufficient enough, area was very clean and lifeguard really friendly.
The entertainment was poor although Sammy who run it tried his best. As stated in brochure there was a kids club for 4 hrs a day, that didn't happen, there was a playroom open from 10.30 til 11.30 which just had colours, no set activities were planned. He did arrrange darts, water polo and aqua aerobics which wasn't suitable for young children. There was a mini disco each night which was a CD so played exactly same songs, for 14 nts this was annoying. One night there was a tribal dance group which were fantastic but only lasted an hour then you were back to the same disco..

These appartments are on a hill, the main area of Cap Salou is 10 min walk away down a steep hill. We found some nice restaurants, Route 66 was reasonable and lovely food, Big Bens was great for the kids and value for money, Smugglers Inn was quite expensive in comparison and wasn't impressed. There are small funfair rides which didn't appeal to my children.
Salou is a good 40 mins walk which is downhill then along beach front then uphill so for little children quite hard. The buses are every 10 mins but at 1 euro 90 one way worked out expensive for a family there and back just under 20 euros, also not suitable for a pram which mine has to be taken apart to collapse so was awkward to use the bus especially if he was sleeping and you had to get him out. Salou itself was very busy, the beach was long and narrow so couldn't play ball games. Plenty of bars/restaurants and lots of shops.
La Pineda is in opposite direction to Salou, about 20 mins walk way, all downhill. There the beach is huge so plenty of room, sand was extemely hot which I didn't expect. Lovely quaint shops, The aquapolis water park is here, on a Friday a market is in its carpark which we thoroughly enjoyed looking around. The waterpark is fantastic for small ones and big ones but those in between like my 6 yr old was quite frustruating. Also, the prices go on height so my 10 yr old is tall for her age got charged an adult price which was quite fair as she was able to go on every ride. There's a fabulous dolphin and sea lion show at 1pm and 4.30pm, so awesome.
On the whole we found two weeks two long as to do anything you had to either walk a fair way or spend loads on buses, I wouldn't recommend cap salou to families with young children.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank blthomas80
Sunderland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

I've been to the Ontario once before, when it first opened in 2004 and loved every minute of it. After reading reviews on here before leaving I was a little bit worried that it had gone down hill, however I am happy to stay it's as brilliant as ever!

When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly receptionist. At the time of booking we had requested a high floor and pool view room. We were told we could wait 15 minutes for a high floor, pool view room or have a different room. We decided to wait for the room we wanted. 15 minutes later we were handed our key and were off to our room (minus 100 euros refundable deposit and 40 euros for the safe).

Our apartment was perfect. We had a two bedroomed apartment, which was very big. We had a gorgeous view of the pool and a great view of the entertainment area so we could watch the evening entertainment from our balcony.

There is a supermarket just outside the complex which sells everything you need for a self catering holiday. The prices are very reasonable also.

The apartments were cleaned regularly and the towels and sheets changed often. Towels were changed every other day (except Thursday and Sunday, which are their days off) and the sheets changed once a week.

The pool was open 10am - 7pm. At around 12 noon the majority of the sunloungers were taken. Although some people say the pool is small, I think it's the right size for the number of guests the complex can hold.

The service from the staff was briliant. They were all extremely friendly and helpful - Singh stands out - he was very kind and welcoming.

The food served from the bar was of a good standard (the usual chips, burgers, chicken nuggets etc) and reasonably priced, as were the drinks.

The bar has 2 pool tables, 2 computers with internet access and a few arcade games.

The entertainment was ok, however not brilliant, which I think was down to it only being the start of the season when we went (20th June - 4th July). Sammy the entertainment organiser was amazing. He really makes the Ontario so fantastic. He is so friendly, always wanting to talk to you and have a joke. He organises a mini disco for the children on an evening and does the bingo and quizzes. Between around 11.30 and 1 Sammy organises darts, water polo and aqua aerobics. He is very keen for everyone to join in, but every morning when you were lying around the pool he walked around shaking everyone's hand and wishing them a good day. He is such a friendly and happy person.

The Ontario is located in Cap Salou and is much, much quieter than Salou. There are a few restaurants and bars if you walk 5-10 mins down the road. We ate at The Paddock and The Smugglers Inn, and watched the entertainment at The Crows Nest. I would highly recommend you visit these if you go to Cap Salou. They aren't too expensive either.

We booked a night out with Thomas Cook to see Decades - a performance of music from 1960's to 2000's. There was a drag queen wandering round the room before the main show as well as a magician (Matt Edwards) and also a magician visiting tables between the performances. It really was fantastic. It was 39 Euros and it included transport there and back and all-inclusive drinks were delivered to your table all night. I would highly recommend this also.

We visited Port Aventura 5/6 times, although it was very busy we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Overall, we loved the Ontario Apartments and were quite sad to leave. I can't understand some of the negative reviews this property has received, but I suppose everyone has different opinions and what is acceptable to some isn't acceptable to others - However, I would definitely recommend this complex to anyone looking for a quiet, relaxing holiday.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Apartments very spacious, we had a end room so the balcony went round so we had views of the sea and pool. Air Conditioning worked fine but you have to have the doors to the balocny shut to make them work, only downside to the apartments was the lack of cooking utensils! . Pool times ~ open at 10 and close at 7, but you can always wander down to the beach 5 mins away when shut. They dont allow large inflatables in the pool for safety reasons. Staff are friendly and helpful, happy hour to be recommended! A new entertainments manager had just been appointed so he was just getting things working, the Kareoke night was good, as was flaminco dancing. Small supermarket just outside, stocks many named uk items if uyou have fussy kids. Salou itself is very busy, Cap Salou is fine, We went to the water Park Aqua Polis, it was great fun but we got one day and one day free and to be honest one day was enough, the dolphin show which is included was fab, highly recommend!!! Tip, if you want to walk into Salou it takes at least half hour plus, recommend the bus cards which are very good value for money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Lauren1122
Roscommon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2009

We have just returned from our holidays where myself and my husband and three children aged 7, 10 and 12 years spent a week at the Ontario Apartments. We were pleased to avail of the early check-in ( between 12 and 3) as we had booked independently and were arriving by train from Barcelona. Our initial impression was disappointment and we thought that the taxi driver had misunderstood and left us at a supermarket! We got settled into our apartment which was reasonably clean and reported any problems( mostly structural like door handles) which were dealt with almost immediately. The pool area is clean and well maintained. The snack bar is open all day and the food is fine and functional and reasonably priced even though the staff may be a a bit gruff at times! We had maid service 5 days out of 7 as expected with clean towels etc. The air conditioning was a bit of a joke though with warm air blowing around the room in the kitchen/living room area only. My sons were delighted to have sky sport for the short time we spent in the apartment. There really is very little in Cap Salou itself and we went by bus each evening to the town centre. However we were always under pressre by our 7 year old to be back in time for the kiddies disco. We were pleased that the entertainment was over by 12 midnight and this area was very quiet at night. The supermarket downstairs was excellent although we were woken every morning with deliveries. Over-all the apartments were ok but well worn and just off the beaten track. Be prepared to spend the week on buses.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank MariaBreda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salou
No photo provided
H10 Mediterranean Village
Cala Font Hotel
Cala Font Hotel
#30 of 94 in Salou

Been to Ontario Apartments? Share your experiences!