“Stayed 3 times this year. No hesitation in going back 3 times next year”
Review of Salou Suite

Salou Suite
Ranked #76 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Ireland
“Stayed 3 times this year. No hesitation in going back 3 times next year”
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I stayed at the Salou Suite in Salou 3 times in 2009 - May, June and September, staying a week each time. The first time in April we were assigned an apartment on the 6th. Floor overlooking the pool. What a pleasant surprise on waking the first morning to see the sun shining gloriously on the balcony. The sun shone on the balcony until around 2 in the afternoon, so it was lovely to get up and have a relaxing breakfast in the sun, read a bit and just generally chill out. When we went again in June and September we requested in advance the same apartment and on both occasions we were given the apartment of our choice. The facilities are very good, with entertainment through the day, and top class acts in the bar every night.

The apartments are well located just off Carlos Buigas in the centre of many restaurants and bars. The many beaches of Salou are all within a short walking distance. The Salou Suite is a good base for trips to cities such as Barcelona and Tarragona. The smaller resort of La Pineda, with its long beach is about a 20 minute walk away.

While not 5 star accommodation, the Salou Suite is perfectly clean and comfortable, with friendly staff most of whom can speak and understand English. I will be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Cork Ireland
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Before going was getting worried. Had read some awful rewiews so didnt have high hopes! When aarived at bout lunch time me an my frined got our room straight away and were down by the pool in our bikinis 55 minutes after getting off the plane! Pool was smallish but because we had gone early september hotel wasnt packed so was never too busy. always had a choice of sunbeds! Bar in the aprtments was great. drink and food was cheap, cheaper then some of the bars and pubs around salou!
Was a great holiday. Salou suits are definately more suited to younger people as there is plenty of noise at night. We were lucky and got a pool view so didnt have to listen to the arcade accross the road through the night! Got a great deal for 2 days at portaventura which we made the most of!
Room was basic but clean. got clean towels twice and toilet roll!
Only complaint I'd make is the night receptionists (all male) were very heavy handed. I came back to the apartmenst one night before my friend realises that I had forgotten to get key card off her I asked the receptionist if he would let me in. He said no way. so one of the guys we were away with went back up town to get my key card and the second he left the receptionist said he would let me in and followed me into my room and sat on my bed. I turned around and left and waited for my friend downstairs. Another night I saw another recptionist picking a fight with a group of lads staying there because they had come back late.
Aaprt from that I had a great week. Weather was gorgous. met some lovely people. and the apartments were exactly what we had paid for! basic but livable!!!
I would definately go back for the price I paid! :)

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2009

Stayed here for one week with friends. We are all in our late 20's. For us these apartments were ok for what we paid. we got a late deal with budget travel for €266. If we had paid anymore we would not have been that happy. The interior of our apartments was quite old and although floors had been cleaned and we had clean sheets walls were dirty, curtains were dirty, bathroom fittings were dirty as was shower curtain. On the other had we got clean towels 3 times during the week and toilet roll which doesn't often happen from my experience on other holidays.

There was great entertainment in the bar and it was nice if you just didn't want to be bothered leaving the apartments. They do go to great effort for this. However if you fancied an early night (due to a ragin hangover!!!) the noise from the bar entertainment will keep you awake till 3am. However, earplugs did fix this for me. I did feel sorry for older couples who weren't really night owls as the noise really bothered them so i would not recommend these apartments to older couples or people with children. They are really suited to young people who are out to party or anyone who really wants to party on their holidays. it is not a place for relaxation.

The noise from the bar continues throughout the day with very loud music so no chance to get a bit of sleep during the day either. Again good for groups of friends who want to party.

The pool is the smallest pool I have ever seen and due to the high rise apartment blocks surrounding it it only gets the sun from around 1pm - 5pm if you are lucky. But there is a lovely beach 2 mins up the road from the apartments so we would go there in the mornings. Plus it was much quiter there.

Salou in general is ok. Maybe it was the time of year we were there but it was very quite and not much life in it. There was a good Liverpool bar which was a bit of craic then a bar called Christy's which is really where everyone goes but it didn't do much for me. it has got rave reviews here on tripadvisor but like I say didn't float my boat.

The resturants weren't great either. I just don't get people standing out on the street trying to get me into their resturants by saying "Sunday Dinners" and "Mash like your Ma use to Make"...I mean I on holidays to try and see different things so this just doen't do it for me. I have been to many resorts and you will always get this type of resturant but Salou was just full of them. In the end the only resturant I can recommend is called Uncle Sams. There was a nice spanish bar across from the Salou Suites called Tropical. A Spanish owner and patrons this was much better for me. And a Spanish disco just up the street a bit called "La Cage".

The shopping wasn't great either with just alot of the same souviener shops.

All in all I wouldn't go back to Salou. I think if you have a family with kids this is the place for you. With it only being a 2 hour flight and a quite resort with food that is not different from home you would like it. Plus you have the water park and the theme park which kids will love. For the yound & lively and would try somewhere else.

Hope this helps.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
cork ireland
Reviewed August 25, 2009

just returned from the salou suites after a 1 week stay with my two children.. when i arrived i was put in a roadside apt, even after being told by budget that i had secured a poolside one ( i had looked at this site pre booking).tried to tell the reception staff and they just shrugged...apartments were basic to say the very least and were never cleaned in the whole week.. i didnt mind cleaning the floor myself as im not keen on strangers being in my room too long in my absence,although i didnt like having to ask for clean towels on my fifth day..also on my last day when i went to collect my deposit of 100 euro i was told by reception that i had to bring down my rubbish bag which was a little embarrasing as everywhere i had stayed in the previous years would always take the last days rubbish.so no frills either from the reception staff. the pool was pretty small and mostly in the shade,(which for once i appreciated because it was48 in the sun) but there is a good atmosphere by the pool and lots of kids so my kids made lots of friends and had a ball(kids dont notice things like all of the above thank goodness),the entertainment in the bar and pool area was ample and the girl running the entertainment was spot on and really went above and beyond the call of duty giving the limited resources she had to work with.(bad sound, crap spot prizes,[although i did win 110 euro on my last night after investing in twice that during the week on bingo, pegs and bingo!!!!!]bad audience,average program etc.) so a big hats off to ciara i dont think salou suites will survive long when she leaves unless they have a major face and personality makeover!!the bar and food staff were nice and friendly too and the food was better and cheaper than most places i had eaten at in salou.. in fact i didnt like the food anywhere really and im not what you would call a fussy eater!!so all in all i didnt really like the salou suites but the kids had a ball.and salou itelf is a good resort. and again fair play to ciara and the bar staff..

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
dublin
Reviewed August 24, 2009

i have never cried as much in my life from the first day i set foot in this hell hole. on arrival i slipped into an open filter at the pool with a tampax inside and had to have a medic called a.s.a.p. The room was pretty basic wit one wardrobe door! we had no clean sheets, towels for the time we spent there, the noise at night was terrible as people from pubs and clubs were shouting and we felt like they were inside our room we could hear them so clear. my 12 yr old attempted to enter the hotel while wet from the pool and was pulled by the arm by a bar man, on complainin to the manager about these incidents he ignored me totally. when i asked for written statements about the accident at the pool the manager went mad and family were treated like dirt. we were asked to leave after 3 days and told by rep paul from budget travel he could do nothin and we had to pay 400 for a little dog box to stay in as my kids were supposed to be on a family holiday?? we could not take our family on trips to aqua world, portaventura, etc as we paid for the other accomadation. the rep was really rude and totally ignored us once we asked for written documents statin all the incidents and this holiday was the most stressfull week of my life and my poor kids have no good memories of a pool and a hotel and entertainment of which they were looking forward to.. no thanks to salou suites, and the smell at the front of the hotel was like a sewer from the bins over flowing. i am so upset as i have saved up for months for this so called family holiday which turned out to be a total disaster. i need a holiday to recover from the trauma we suffered!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Salou hotels

Wexford
Reviewed August 19, 2009

What a total kip. If it’s the last room left in the whole of Salou do not stay here!!! The apartment was filthy dirty, as you can see from the pictures the curtains were so dirty it was unbelievable, you’d nearly need gloves to pull them back. The day after we arrived we had to go to the shop to buy bleach and other cleaning products to clean the apartment ourselves….not exactly how I want to spend my holiday!!

We were on the 7th floor, which is the highest one up. The balcony had, in my opinion, very poor railings around it, someone could easily fall over and be killed, I can’t imagine them putting families with small kids on this floor.

As for the noise at night time it was so so loud, luckily we were out every night till late but I don’t know how families were able to sleep, ive never heard the likes of it. The walls are also very thin so you can hear the people in the adjoining apartments clearly.

There is air con in the room but it’s useless and it doesn’t work if the doors are open.

The night we arrived we went to reception to see could we be changed to another room and the girl said that there was no other room available in the complex, however the next morning there were new people booking in. We then waited to see our Budget Travel rep told him our problems and he wasn’t interested didn’t even try to find us alternative accommodation just said out straight “not a hope girls, every where’s full”.

I have put a review up on Budget Travel for the Salou Suites, but it hasn’t been published yet, I emailed the company to see what the reason for this is and a week later im still waiting for them reply to me. Obviously they only publish reviews that give a glowing account of the accommodation.

However apart from all that id like to recommend a few places to eat and drink. To eat go to the Guinness Tavern (Irish) and Sorrento’s (Italian), the best bar has got to be Christy’s had some of the best nights in there the bar staff are mental!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2009

I stayed in the Salou Suite for two weeks while on holiday in the resort and had a fantastic time.

The apartments are fantastic in terms of location, step out the door and within seconds you are surrounded by shops, bars and restaurants, you are only minutes from the beach and public transport, including a direct bus to Port Aventura.

I see a lot of complaints on here, complaining about noise - Maybe if people did a bit of research on where they were staying, they would realise how central the Salou Suite is, put two and two together, and realise that there is going to be noise at night, and if they are not happy about that then they can stay somewhere less central, common sense, no?

I'm not one for lying round the pool, so it didn't bother me, but I can understand why some people didn't like the pool area, as it is enclosed within the high rise building and could feel a bit claustrophobic, but that would be my only complaint.

Salou Suite are bargain apartments, you get what you pay for, there is so much to do in Salou that you just need a base, Salou Suite ticked all the boxes for me, clean, central, friendly staff, nice room, and cable tv with plenty of English channels.

If for you, the accommodation on holiday is the Be-All-And-End-All and you want to stay in the Ritz for bargain basement prices, then these apartments probably aren't for you - But I think a lot of people seem to be going on holiday with unrealistic ideals.

Enjoy!