“absolutely fantastic!!”

Hotel Villamarina Club
Ranked #26 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed August 18, 2010

Went to Salou on the 3rd of July 2010 for two weeks, was the first time at this hotel so wasn't quite sure what to expect. We were not let down at all. From the moment we arrived to the second we left the staff were so friendly and extremely helpful, could not fault them at all. We were told in earlier reviews that the rooms were too small, so we were expecting to have like a cupboard! Lets just say you get what you pay for and in this case you get far more. The food was excellent, there was always some sort of entertainment on at night, some nights better than others, but you could get a laugh whatever the case. The kids club team worked extremely hard all day round to keep the kids occupied and i can tell you that we never seen my little brother except to go to the theme park (which is amazing, but really buy) To top it all of we had the most gorgeous weather, although some days it was 48degrees, which was just a little too hot for me. But overall this is the best all inclusive hotel i could ever imagine and i would come back tomorrow if i could!! Thank you Villa Marina for an amazing holiday!!!!!:D:D

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
VillaMarinaSalou, Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2010

You are more than welcome, and thank you for choosing the Villamarina as your holiday destination. The staff to work extremely hard to ensure everyone has a good time, and it is great reading your feedback
Thank you once again and we look forward to seeing you in the future

Write a ReviewReviews (2,663)

Reviewed August 18, 2010

Single parent holidaying with two Girls age 11 & 14 for 7 days with Thomas Cook found this holiday very enjoyable. On arrival we had to wait for a couple of hours while our room was cleaned but we were given our wrist bands and had our swimmers so it wasn't a problem. Our pool view room was very clean, decent decor, large enough to fit in three beds and a wardrobe (but thats it) cases fit under the beds, a sliding door led to the bathroom with all the usual fittings. Could only find two sockets one of which was 8ft off the floor for the TV and the other in the bathroom. The balconies are very small with one chair. We had fresh towels and the room was cleaned every day. The bar staff day and night, reception and maids were all very friendly under the wathchful eye of the ever present management who wanted to please everyone. The entertainment team were fantastic and worked really hard throughout the week. Water polo is a must! Two very good pools but one is in the shade until about 1pm. Give the Adult only roof top terrace with jacuzzi a try, it gives you a VIP feel. Meal times were a bit of a free for all, but once you got a table the food choice and quality was very good, the only down side is the canteen style noisy atmosphere, but that comes with most All Inc holidays. If you miss breakfast the pool snack bar opens at 12pm. There was table tennis, pool tables, computers, computer games and TV for the kids and adults alike. Portaventura in a taxi is about 10 euros there and up to 15 euros back, Walk to beach is 10 mins. Trips to House of Illusion and Nou Camp/Barcelona were well worth it!
All in all, we had an enjoyable holiday with no major complaints.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

From all here in the Villamarina we are glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us. We try to ensure there is something g for everyone and glad we was able to do that for you.
Please accept our apologies you found the restaurant to be a little canteen style as it can get very busy, however the girls work very hard to ensure tables are cleared and that you do not have to wait long for a table.
Thank you for your feedback and review

Reviewed August 16, 2010

The best bit of the hotel was the roof terrace and the barman who kept it immaculate, Dawel. The rooms were tiny and the bathrooms claustrophobic. Because the hotel is for the British the food was geared that way, fish fingers, hotdogs and chicken nuggets etc, not a Spanish dish in sight. No napkins on the tables and you were encouraged to clear your own plates away....not what I expect even from a 3 star hotel. The all inclusive option didnt run to key cards for the room, having to pay for a safe and 4 euros to replace a wristband, even the pool tables were 2 euros a game! The pool areas are very cramped and could do with a good clean.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
VillaMarinaSalou, Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Thank you for talking the time to write your review on the trip advisor web page as everyone's opinion and feedback is very important to us.

Please accept our sincere apologies that the Villamarina did not live up to your expectations.
The Villamarina does cater very much so for the UK market with home from home and international dishes, the food in general does receive very positive feedback however we understand this may not be to everyone’s taste and are always open to new ideas and suggestions to ensure we are appealing to all tastes.
You are not expected to clear away your own plates as we do have waitresses in the restaurant to do this for you, sorry if you felt this was not the case and will discuss this with the head of the restaurant, napkins are also available on top of the buffet for the use of all guests.
The Villamarina has over 600 guest in high season and is very busy in all departments with the staff working very hard to ensure all our guests are catered for again we apologies if you feel this was not the case.
Thank you for your kind words re dawel and the roof top and glad you enjoyed this area.
The Villamarina offers large 2 bedroom apartments as well as the hotel rooms for those requiring extra space, we also have several other rooms with slightly larger balconies, Apologies if you was not aware of this.
The management here in the hotel are very approachable and if made aware of your issues would tried their best to look in to a solution for you sorry if you was not aware of this or did not feel it necessary to bring to our attention whilst here with us.

Thank you once again for writing your review

Reviewed August 16, 2010

I booked the hotel after having dialogue with the hotel via email to say they would attempt to cater for my needs of having 3 beds in a room as opposed to 2 beds and a sofa bed as was the std. configuration.

So I felt after arriving at 5am due to a late flight I would have nothing to worry about. Oh how wrong could I be!!

The first room I was given was on the 4th floor, so after carrying our luggage at 5:30am in the morning up the stairs becuase the lift was out of order we opened the door. OMG. Where is the 3rd bed, or even the sofa bed would have done, I checked under the beds, no third bed. I went down to reception to complain, he said are you sure its not in there. He did not believe me and he escorted me back to the room to check for himself, He confirmed that there was no bed. Its now 5:45am.
I asked him to also to explain if this was what the Villamarina definition of a balcony was. The balcony was approx two foot deep, had one plastic chair and had a great view of a conifer in your face. So dont upgrade to a balcony room, as its not worth it in the main hotel.

I said I needed a room with 3 beds, we needed to sleep. We were given a room with twins and a bunk bed. At least we could sleep until 9am when I was told I could address my concern. By the way this room had a great view of the back of the hotel, air con units and a plimsole on a roof. Nice!

I should also add at this point, towels were on beds by the pool as early as 6:30am, with the guests not occupying these beds until after 11am sometimes. A sign did appear at the reception later in the week about this.

So at 9am, I was shown another room. It overlooked the the main pool. All sunbeds were occupied by this time, by towels anyway. It would have done for our 2 week stay, but far from the star rating, and tripadvisor ratings.

The Assistant Mgr greeted me later that morning, I explained my issues, they then moved me to a 2 bed appt, much more space and is more adequate for anyone with a party of 3 or more.

I want to point out the staff try their upmost to make everyone feel welcome and content, but I feel they are fighting a losing battle, far too many people for the size of the hotel, and the people that stay at this hotel make the hotel what it is.

The food was ok, typical english stuff, the carvery was pretty good and my children could always find something they wanted.

The entertainment was ok, and they really worked hard on delivering.

I would never come to this hotel again, the ratings far exceed the reality and I would hate to stay in another Salou hotel if this is rated 2!!

Kids are left to run riot, parents hold no responsibility for their children its disgusting. There was a playstaion room, the amount of children that slammed the controllers on the floor, trying to pull them out of the wall. I had to comment to one child, he then placed it on the chair after previously bouncing off the wall.

There is also a large screen to play online games, next to the TV, so I sat there listening to 4 word expletives for ten minutes before again asking if they refrain from such language.

Children would drop ice-cream, drinks whether their parents were in attendance or not, it was left for someone else to sort out.

Last week I sat at the entertainment, was not even 7:30pm and had the plesure of a guest being sick several feet in front of me due to excess alcohol, another example of the type of people that occupy this hotel. They drink from noon until midnight, whilst their children are left to roam at will, and to leave other guests or staff (which I saw several times) deal with them.

Not everyone wants to eat at 6:30pm when the restaurant opens for dinner, but thats the option, unless you dont want a seat for the evening entertainment. So people are queuing for dinner at 6:30pm.

The 2 bed appt whilst better than the main hotel, had its own issues. If you wanted a drink or snack/meal, being on all inclusive you had to walk to the main building, not ideal if you are lying by the separate pool that the appts have. So you have to fill your fridge with supermarket sourced drinks, not really expected if you all inclusive.

This separate pool also was like soup, many things floating in it, it was finally closed on the last day due to maintenance issues.

In summary, unless your a chav that enjoys drinking all day, soaking up the sun and neglecting your children then go somewhere else!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to write your opinion of the Villamarina here on trip advisor.
Firstly please accept my sincere apologies with regards to the error of your room on arrival, this was addressed straight away with the staff members concerned and by way of showing our sincere apologies we upgraded you free of charge to larger accommodation in the 2 bedroom apartments.
The hotel is very busy during the month of August with over 600 guest and we understand the pools do become very busy as do all hotel and not one hotel has enough sun beds for every guest, this was addressed on the 8th August by management and towels left on beds before 9 am were removed to ensure no one was getting up early to reserve sun beds, this seemed to work apologies if you did not feel this was the case.
The hotel is very busy with children and the staff to work very hard to ensure that the hotel is kept clean and tidy.
Thank you for your comments with regards to the staff as they do work very hard to ensure everyone has a good holiday.
The management and the staff do keep a close eye on anyone drinking a lot and anyone seen to be drunk are addressed and no more alcohol given.
I apologies the Villamarina was not the destination you was expecting and found the customers here not to your liking
I would firstly like to take the opportunity to apologies to anyone reading this review that has been to the Villamarina as do not think it is fare that our customers are judged and called names as all guest are very important to the hotel, however everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

Went to the villa marina for a week in August as a last min holiday didn't really want to go to spain again but thats all that came up for the date we could go as we only decided on the thurs to go on holiday and we went on the tues. Arrived at the hotel at midday in the lovely hot sunshine. The room was spacious, clean and very modern, the bathroom was very large and the beds comfortable, the balcony was very very small which i was a bit gutted as we do like to sit out on the balcony when the kids are in bed at night but didnt cause a problem, clean towels every day. The hotel staff were very friendly and the manager was always walking around the hotel and would always speak. The entertainment staff were fantastic and always something going on for everyone and they were always happy and worked very very hard. The food was also fantastic and always somthing nice to choose from the drink was also very good and had a great deal to choose from. Would recommend the portaventura theme park but go in the evening its cheaper plus a bit cooler, the water park was also a great day out, the beach was about 15 to 20 min walk away but a very clean beach with plenty of water activities to do, we as a family have been to many all inclusive hotels and would say this was probably one of the best our two girls aged 16 and 11 really enjoyed this holiday and i think we would deffo return to salou and to the villa marina. A bit busy around the pool areas which was ok but it was a bit cramped could do with more space and more beds for the amount of people using the areas.

2  Thank mobilehairdresser72

Thank you for your review, from everyone here in the Villamarina we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with potential customers.
Please accept our apologies re the sun beds more sun beds where put in place last week sorry if you was not here when this occurred.
Once again thank you and look forward to seeing you again in the future

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Quite honestly you get what you pay for and this complex is not a 5 star. I really don't understand how this hotel rates at number 2 in the hotels in Salou. If you really are on a tight budget as we were then try it but I guarantee you would not want to return. There were 11 of us in our party 5 teenagers and 6 adults. The teenagers are not catered for but in our experience they never are anywhere. The management and staff do try very hard but the food is very basic and repetivie and the pool areas are extremly cramped. To be honest if this is all you can afford go for it but I would recommend that you save a little harder.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Please accept our sincere apologies that you did not find the Villamarina to live up to its number 2 rating. The general feedback is very positive with guest returning year after year however we understand we may not be the destination for everyone.
The hotel operates a full entertainment program for adults and children with teenagers been able to participate in the adults activities if they wish such as water polo football riffle shooting, darts etc Apologies if you did not know this was the case. The hotel also offers a free play station where children and teenagers can play. As we are always trying to improve our product then we would be grateful for your suggestions to what teenagers would have liked to have seen in the hotel.
The Villamarina is a 3* all inclusive offering value for money all inclusive holiday, the food is catered for the UK market with pasta, fish, meat, veg, chicken pies, steak pie and much more, again to ensure we are offering something for everyone your suggestions to what you would have liked to have seen on the menu would be much appreciated

Thank you once again for your comments and apologies the Villamarina was not for you

Reviewed August 15, 2010

I highly recommend staying at the Villa. My husband 9 year old son and myself have just spent a week at the hotel. The staff could not be more helpful, the room we had was huge with plenty of space for all our stuff and it was lovely and clean and well decorated which was a real bonus after our previous experience. The choice of food was good, we especially liked the day they had tortillas yum !. It is in a good location a short walk from the shops and marina. the bus to Port adventura stops just across the road and the train station is 15 mins walk away which made it so easy to get around independently. The hotel was fully booked so was very busy but we never had any trouble getting a table for any of the meal times. There is an adult only area on the roof of one of the buildings which is just lovely with ample sun beds and tables and chairs 2 jacuzzi's and a bar - heaven

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience on here with others as it is your opinion which counts and helps those decide on their holiday destination.
I am pleased the Villamarina was able to give you an enjoyable holiday.
Hope to see you again soon