“Good 3 Star, Great Value”

Hotel Villamarina Club
Ranked #21 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Good 3 Star, Great Value”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Villamarina from the 3rd to 10th May. We stayed on an all-inclusive basis and found by booking directly with the hotel we were able to get a fantastic deal with a free transfer from and to Reus airport thrown in.

From our very first contact with the hotel, to being dropped off at the airport for our return flight we found all the staff to be friendly, efficient and very welcoming. A big thank you goes to Lindsey the manager for sorting out our particular requirements very quickly.

I saw a review complaining about the strength of the local spirits at the bar. I'm a whisky drinker and found that the local drink was fine, slightly less strong than branded Scottish whisky (30% by volume as compared to the normal 40%) but very drinkable nonetheless. They also serve draft Estrelle beer which was lovely and refreshing. Be realistic, if you want to go all inclusive and have branded drinks pay an extra £200-£300 and go somewhere else. Alternatively you can pay €2.50 for branded drinks at the bar. I bought a bottle of J & B for €10 from the local supermarket.

The rooms are quite small but adequate, for us the room was just to shower, change and sleep in. Our room was about 4 m² with two beds adequate storage space and a wash basin. There is a separate bathroom with bath and shower, we paid a bit extra to have a ground floor terrace which was lovely to sit out with a drink in the evening. Rooms on higher floors have a small (about a metre wide) balcony. I had a look at the family rooms for a friend of mine, the one I saw was about 5 m x 4 m with four single beds, so quite tight unless your kids are pre – teen. If you are travelling with older kids or in a family group the hotel has apartments about two minutes walk away and they are massive, two double bedrooms, a pull-out sofa bed, separate kitchen, lounge and a large balcony.

The food was great, squarely aimed at the British palate. At breakfast there was a selection of cereals, pastries, bread (the fresh bread at all meals was brilliant), fruit, fruit juice (squash rather than fresh, but nice enough) along with the full British fry up. One minor down point was the quality of the scrambled eggs, invariably very dry and tasteless, considering the quality of the rest of the food I'm puzzled as to why this is, add a bit of butter and milk, sorted. Lunch and dinner both offered a good selection of salads, cold meat and cheese and a varied hotplate of meat, fish, stews, rice dishes, normally some vegetarian choice like vegetarian lasagna or pasta with sauce and a good selection of vegetables. There was always a variety of fruit and the usual blancmange and typical Spanish type sponge and cream cakes. There wasn't one meal were my wife or I were stuck for something to eat. There is also a poolside snack bar which serves things like hotdogs, burgers, chips, salad. Ice cream is available at all mealtimes and from the bar when the restaurant is closed.

We didn't have kids with us but I could see the entertainment team worked hard to do something for the kids through the day. There are two pools both with adequate sunbeds, I never saw all the sunbeds being used and I think the hotel was close to capacity by the time we left. There is also an adults only roof terrace with a couple of Jacuzzis. We spent most of the day up there sunbathing in peace and quiet. There was also entertainment for the adults through the day in the form of quizzes/bingo/pool competitions/darts competitions etc. A decent programme of nightly entertainment also included bingo along with visiting stage shows; we saw an Acrobat act, a Brazilian dance troupe, Michael Buble tribute and a female singer.

The bar staff were very good, even at the busiest times during the evening entertainment we never waited more than 30 seconds to be served. Pedro the Barman deserves a special mention, always cheerful, very friendly and most importantly good at his job.

If you want some snacks and drinks for your room there is a large supermarket just two minutes walk from the hotel. Go out of the hotel and turn left, take the first left and walk 100m to the corner where you will find the Intermarche supermarket. It's about the size of a co-op and stocks everything you could want. If you turn right at the corner of the supermarket there is a Spar about 200m down the road. The hotel sells British newspapers at reception.

The beach and all the main tourist type shops are a 10 to 15 minute walk away depending how fast you walk. To get there turn left out of the hotel, first left, first right and walk straight down over the railway crossing and onto the beach.

All in all we had a lovely relaxing week at the Villamarina club. It does what it says on the tin; it's a small well-run three star hotel, the food was very good, the location is fine and the staff from the manager down are all very friendly and very efficient. Well done Lindsey and team

Room Tip: Ground floor terraces have a decent sized terrace. Rooms above have a very small balcony. Terrace r...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank glasgowcouple1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 12, 2014

just got back from a weeks all inclusive stay at Villamarina Club with my two daughters, aged 14 and 12 (may 2014) and I have to say I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. The great reviews are true - the staff are so hard working, friendly and accommodating, from the front desk staff, bar staff, entertainment staff, etc.
The food is good - varied and plentiful and there's always something to suit every taste. free ice cream all day for the little ones and the drinks are free, including cocktails! I have to say this hotel is excellent value for money and then some...
If i had to make any negative comment and I hate to as the overall experience is just so great, the beds could be more comfortable and the rooms a little bigger but don't let this put you off, it's a small compromise!
its about 15-20 mins walk to the town, beach and marina in Salou which is a very pleasant stroll, just come out of the hotel, turn left and keep going straight to the railway line, cross over the crossing and continue straight on and your there. If you don't fancy walking there's a free shuttle bus every 15 mins from 10am to 11.30am and from 4pm to 5.30pm
If I go to Salou again I will definitely go back to Villamarina Club :)
tip: Inquire about booking directly with the hotel rather than through a travel site as other guests felt it was better value especially if you are flying into Barcelona as they organise transfers from the airport.
Go on, book it and enjoy!

3 Thank Denise C
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

My holiday at the villamarina has just ended and all I can say is wow, this was my first holiday abroad and I wasnt disappointed. The hotel itself isn't far from the beach or the centre of salou, the food is great, plenty of choice and all lovely. I have to say I have wondered where all the beautiful people had gone in the UK, turns out they are all working on entertainment team at the villamarina cause they are all stunning :D

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank friedgold22
VillaMarinaSalou, Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Thank you very much for such a nice review and taking the time to write on trip advisor. It is important that potential guest and the hotel to ensure we are offering something everyone can enjoy.
The entertainers do work hard and thank you for your comment it will be passed on to them
Thank you and all the best to you and the family hope to welcome you back soon
Lindsey and all the team
Reviewed May 5, 2014 via mobile

We recently stayed at villa marina for 1 week in April. It was our first family holiday abroad. A total of 11 including a baby. We neednt have worried. It is like one big happy family. Everyone looks out for each other staff and guests. Nothing is too much trouble. The food the drink the accommodation were all fantastic. Management and entertainment staff were warm friendly and professional. We all have made good friends there! ! The location is spot on and they will even sort out your transport and tell you the best way to get there. I was even able to use their facilities myself to print off passes. Everything is clean maid service everyday at our apartment. Couldn't ask for more.
We will definitely be back. Highly recommend for whatever type of holiday you like! Go villamarina!!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Alison G
Fantastic!!! The word we all love to hear. Reading a review such as your own and sharing it with the team makes everyones hard work worth while. It is our aim to ensure you have a great holiday.
Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon in the villa
Regards
Leigh, Greater Manchester
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Before I begin my review, I feel I must say that, despite reading hundreds of reviews on here about numerous Hotels, I have never actually written one myself. This is more of a reflection of myself, rather than the Hotels I have stayed at. Now, however, after my second time of visiting this Hotel I feel that I have to do a review - if only, to let people know what a fantastic place this is to stay!!

I recently stayed here 26th April until 3rd May. I'll give you my opinion, as to what I view, as the negative first, because if it puts you off, then you have no need to read further. The Hotel is not what I would deem to be close to the beach. It is however only a 15-20 minute leisurely stroll. If that's too far, then fear not, the Hotel put on a free mini-bus taking you to and from the beach. So, in reality, the position of the beach isn't really a negative as the Hotel have done everything in their power to overcome this.

I suppose I'd better address the "clientele" that this Hotel apparently attracts , as mention has been made of it in previous reviews. Well, I was part of a group of 14 holidays makers, with ages ranging from 3yrs to 86yrs and as such, we may have come across as noisy. But, hey, we were on holiday and we were there to make the most of it! For 51 weeks of the year, the majority of our group work full-time and work hard to be able to afford a week abroad together, so of course we're going to let our hair down! Thankfully, for the week we were there at least, we were surrounded by like-minded guests and, rather than a group of 14, our group was made much larger as we thoroughly enjoyed the company of other people staying at the Hotel.

For me to list the positives of staying at this Hotel would take all day and you'd probably get bored reading it! So, it's far easier for me to say that absolutely every aspect of this Hotel and it's staff, far exceeds my expectations. I realise that people have different expectations, but I truly believe that (should you be unhappy with anything and bring it to the attention of a staff member) they would do everything/anything to rectify it and make you happy. I cannot single any one staff member out as being amazing at their job, as each and every one of them do their jobs brilliantly and go above and beyond to make your stay here enjoyable. For this reason, I would like to thank everyone at the Hotel Villa Marina for a fantastic week! Hopefully we will be returning in September for our third, but definitely not final, visit to your Hotel. Thanks again!!

P.S. Book directly with the Hotel for great savings on the price of your holiday and you get free transfers too!

11 Thank emmamac1970
Thank you for such a great review it is important we receive feedback in order for us to make changes and improvements.
We do like to ensure we are very hands on and happy to help with anything we can so you can have a great holiday.
Muchas gracias and hope to see you again here in the villa in the future
Kind regards
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 5, 2014

Didnot know what we were getting ,when we arrived at the hotel,but was pleastly surprised.The hotel staff were very helpful,and pointed you at the direction you wanted to be ,also supplied you with a map of the area.The rooms are basic,but you dont sit in your room all your holiday,the food were very good,and plenty of choice.Hopefully will be going back in october,if not will be in april next year.Could not find anything to moan about,the drinks issue is the same any where in spain,if you dont like it you can go to supermarket and buy some ,not a promlem.There always a supermarket near by.

Room Tip: Go and enjoy your holiday,nothing is to much trouble ,if you have a problem talk to the staff,they s...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnhenry55
Thank you from me and the team we pleased to know you enjoyed your time here with us and you found our staff to be helpful.
We look forward to seeing you in October or april.
Best regards
Halewood
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Arrived on 28th to be greeted at reception by Elizabeth, lovely, friendly helpful, took us other to the apartments where we were staying. Have to say far better than I expected, huge balcony, full kitchen, two bedrooms, lounge with additional bed and sofa bed, and a washing machine! ( with teenage boys this was a god send, and I've no pile of holiday washing)
We arrived in time for lunch, plenty of choice, then set out to explore.
Over the course of a week I couldn't fault the villa marina, all the staff are friendly cheerful, the two girls who work tirelessly in the dining room, thank you so much for taking care of us
The bar staff who again smile all day long,
The entertainment staff, Sam, Danielle and Cassie, ( Cassie, I got KASABIAN tickets for my birthday!!!!) these guys have so much energy and enthusiasm it's infectious, I spent a week laughing during the 9.15 bingo session, ( Sam, I AM BINGO!) enjoyed the shows, mamma Mia in particular,
Danielle Getting us all to act like farm animals resulted in some holiday bonding and a night at chaplins for a blues brothers act with new friends. Just on that, how genius is it to provide a free taxi service to a family cabaret bar in Salou when the hotel bar closes???
The food, very British but I defy anyone to not find something to eat, it was hot, fresh, plentiful, chefs work hard to avoid repetition and I can hand on heart say I have never ever eaten as much on holiday before, in fact all 4 of us ate and ate, and then ate some more!
Drinks were good, lots of ice, never queues at the bar for long.
Hotel facilities, a little library corner, plus a swop box where you could leave leftover shampoo, sun cream, (I left my hair dryer, hope it was useful to someone ) tv for the kids, pool tables, video games,
The pools were clean and nobody struggled for sunbeds, pool snack bar had sausages, chips, burgers, crisps, ham, cheese, salad from 12pm onwards, perfect for kids,
The piece de resistance for me was the roof top, oh wow, jacuzzi, sunbeds, peace and quiet. I found my spot and that was it, only moved for a drink or food, it was so relaxing up there I literally had to peel myself off the sunbed to reluctantly go and join my family!!
All in all, I can not recommend the Hillary marina enough, it was a perfect early season break, met sone great people, ate lots of food, got a nice little tan, enjoyed family time with my mum and boys and won't hesitate to return.
Oh, and I booked direct with hotel, got an awesome saving and transfers to the airport, and once again, big thanks to all the reception staff for letting me use their computer and printer for my boarding cards! A lot of hotels would do well to visit the villa marina for lessons in customer relations, they get it 110% right, thanks to you all for a fantastic holiday

8 Thank Johanna M
It is much appreciated that you have taken the time to share your experience with others. It gives the staff great encouragment to continue doing what they love. And thats ensuring everyone has an excellent holiday.
Thank you from all the team and choosing the villa