“Exceeded my expectations”

Ranked #19 of 94 Hotels in Salou
midlands
“Exceeded my expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

After reading many reviews on here I was a little apprehensive after booking prior to arriving. My family and I wanted a budget all inclusive break and we got more than we could have wished for. I would class myself as an accommodation snob however when we arrived the hotel was clean, the staff we friendly and we couldn't fault our room other than not much space for a family of four with a very small balcony. We were however offered an apartment this was without any complaining may I add and we were very grateful of this offer. Whilst the apartments are a small walk away from the hotel the apartments were perfect for our trip and I would advise anyone with two small children who like additional space to opt for the apartment. The friendliness of the staff was second to none all around the hotel in particular the reception team who assisted me with strollers when my little ones were too tired to walk back to the apartment, hairdryers and much more. The food was ample with a variety to choose from having said that my children and hubby dint like much in the way of dishes with sauces but they still had plenty to choose from with lots of fresh bread also. Drinks were always served in plastic beakers except during meal times this didn't bother me at all. The snack bar was just that light snacks that were edible and the children felt comfortable being able to help themselves and be independent. The entertainment staff were great, given it was the end of the season they were still very enthusiastic and welcoming. The location is great, a small walk from the hotel to the beach and train station with an hour long trip to Barcelona which was lovely. A few lovely little café bars around and very friendly residents around the area. Overall a lovely half term break which was a low cost family holiday. All I can say is you do get what you pay for, this said I would definitely go back but most certainly not during the peak season. We quite liked it a little quieter.

1 Thank looplooMidlands
VillaMarinaSalou, Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you very much for you honest review and sharing your experience with others. Great to hear we exceeded your expectations, as we do try to ensure we are offering value for money all inclusive family holidays.
The staff do work extremely hard, thank you for your comments this will be passed on to them all.
I am glad we was able to accommodate you in to one of our large 2 bedroom apartments, as depending on how busy the hotel is, this is not always possible, but we do are very best to accommodate all requests and make everyone’s stay as perfect as we can. To guarantee apartments these can be booked.
Kinds regard and hope to see you again in the future

Lindsey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (574)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Just got back from a weeks stay here as a couple in our 30s. We go away every october for my birthday. We read the reviews prior to our visit, as most of them are great, we ignored the few negatives. BAD CHOICE.
Dirty sun loungers
Filthy floors around pool
Bathroom window broke
Flies EVERYWHERE
We paid extra to have a room with a balcony, when we got there, every room had a balcony anyway!
Very noisy, got woke up every single night by rowdy drunks in hallways, lids running wild screaming, drunks chanting and singig football songs at 230 am, one night kids on the landing kicking a football up all the doors about 1am,
On the first day, we asked at reception if there was any local bars to go to and simpy got a "no". and that was that! we hated the hotel s much that we decided we needed a place to go so we went for a walk, 1 min walk from the hotel was a bar! called caminito which could be seen clearly from the hotel.
The thing that sold this hotel to us was the roof top bar with jacuzzi for adults only. We emailed the hotel and asked before we booked if this would be open on the dates we were going. we got there and the bar on the roof was shut meaning going down 2 floors to get a drink to go back up. ridiculous. food was edible but not great and barely luke warm. the only good thing really was the maids coming in everyday to make the beds and replace the towels.
no entertainment at all for adults, very boring. unless uve got kids who want entertaining stay away from this place, waste of money, wish we stayed at home.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NM4JD
VillaMarinaSalou, Manager at Hotel Villamarina Club, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to express your dissatisfaction of our hotel here on trip advisor. Here in the Villamarina we take everyone’s opinions very seriously.
Please accept my sincere apologies that you did not enjoy your time here with us, as you have stated many guests do enjoy the Villamarina and the atmosphere and facilities we have to offer.
I would like to take the opportunity in responding to your comments made.
The swimming pool areas are hosed down every evening and again in the morning, and jet washed twice per week apologies you still found the floor round the pool to be dirty this will be addressed and looking in to with the maintenance team.
Apologies with regards to the sunbeds, the hotel replace all the sunbeds with no one’s round one of our pools, this summer and the other pool beds are set to be changed for 2014, it is not that they are dirty but are old. Once again apologies this caused you any upset and dissatisfaction whilst here with us.
Anyone who reports any damage or faults within their room to reception, they will send someone up straight away to have this fixed apologies if you did not feel it necessary to do this, or if you did report this and it was not fixed, please send me an email direct to the hotel with your booking details and room allocation so I can address this straight away.
Apologies you were not advised prior to travel with regards to the size of the balconies as we try to ensure that our marketing photos do show that the balconies a more like a French style stand out balcony.
The hotel does offer ground floor rooms with large terraces for a supplement
Unfortunately, flies can be a pest; this was not just in the hotel but all over at this time of year due to the change in the temperature. The hotels have all the electronic lights to kills flies in all eating areas. Apologies this upset you and made your stay uncomfortable.
The staff at the hotel in general do receive positive feedback and can only apologies the information given to you by reception was not acceptable, again if you would like to let me know via email who it was you spoke to on reception, I will address this with them personally, and I’m sure they did not mean it to come across how it did. As well, if you would like to let me know who it was you sent an email to with regards to the opening of the roof top we can also address this. The roof top bar is set from June – September, if we are able we do extend these dates but it not advertised.
The food temperatures on the buffet are controlled and registered, we also have an external company who do monthly spot checks to make sure we are following protocol apologies you did not find the food to be hot enough. We understand that some may like their food hotter and therefore supply microwaves in the restaurant for anyone who would like to make their food hotter.
Thank you for your comments with regards to the maids it is much appreciated.
The hotel Villamarina is advertised as a family orientated hotel offering something for everyone, apologies you felt there was nothing for the adults, as we do have a day program for adults including riffle shooting, darts, quizzes, Billiard competitions, cocktail demonstration on the terrace and more.
In the evening there is always a quiz and bingo followed by shows such as a singer or acrobats.
I would love to hear your ideas to what you would like to have seen on the entertainment program which would have made your holiday more enjoyable to ensure changes can be made were necessary as we are always open to new ideas and suggestions.

Once again my sincere apologies you did not enjoy your stay and can only apologies you did not feel it necessary to bring your concerns to my attention whilst here with us or Monica who is constantly walking around the hotel speaking with guests.
Kind regards
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Stayed here with family, on my own and as a couple. Each time very good except in October 2012 when roof bar was closed.
Roof bar needs a mention on it's own! Very good facility for adults only witha really good ambience.
Food is generally good - though a bit like the parsons egg - good in parts. Some days was cold but mostly good.
Drink service fine though at busy times you have to queue but hey it's not a problem.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank chesterdave2012
Thank you for returning several times to the Villamarina and sharing your experience here on trip advisor, and great to hear you enjoyed the roof top bar for adults only. Apologies this was closed in October 2012 it is advertised from June to September however if we can we always open it earlier and close it later in the season, but this is not always possible.
Your comments with regards to the food will be looked in to, and apologies that on busy days there was a queue at the bar, as the staff work very hard to try and ensure these are kept down to a minimum.
Thank you once again and look forward to welcoming you back in the future

North Yorkshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

I have just come back from a week at this hotel and I've got to say I was very disappointed after reading the reviews. I always stay in 3* all inclusive hotels and don't expect luxury but this hotel is not as good as the reviews say.
Firstly the beds were soooo uncomfortable, although I did get used to it after 3 nights. The beds were very noisy and moved each time you moved.
The hair dryer hose was broken , this was mended when reported but then the casing fell off so it was unuseable.
The shower was useless as the hose was bent and only came out in a slow stream and went extremely hot then freezing cold and there was no getting away from it as the bath was too small to move away. This unfortunately didn't get fixed when reported!!

I also paid the agency an extra £34 for a balcony. The balcony was just big enough for one chair and nothing else!!!
The food although there was a good selection and very English,was just warm regardless of whether you got there when the dinning room doors opened. Also cooked pork was red in the middle!!
The cleanliness could have been better in certain areas and the smell from the drains was unbearable at times.
On a good note the roof terrace is excellent a real sun trap with two jacuzzi s and a bar!!
Also the entertainment team were excellent and made the stay there bearable. Always happy to help and smiling and very good with the children.
Over all it is a very basic hotel that needs some attention!!
I would not return to this hotel but the price was good and the sun shone all week and I had a lovely time in Salou.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Baroness68
Thank you for sharing your experience of the Villamarina here on trip advisor

My sincere apologies the hotel did not live up to your expectations. As the hotel does receive positive feedback, but we can of course understand the hotel may not appeal to all.
The Villamarina tries to ensure we are offering value for money 3* holidays, and as you have stated in your the prices was good.
I can only apologies that the issues you had with your room been not resolved whilst here with us, as we could have looked in to moving your rooms to have made your stay more pleasurable, we do have certain rooms with bigger balconies.
Than you for your comments regards to the entertainers as they do work very hard to ensure everyone has a good time whilst here with us.
Apologies you also found the pork to be pink, I am aware of one night this was the case and was addressed with the chef, I can assure you this is not on every serving of the show cooking.
Glad you enjoyed the adult’s only roof top area with Jacuzzi and bar.
Once again my apologies the Villamarina was not for you, Monica from guest relations is constantly available around the hotel, and can only apologies that you did not feel you could bring your concerns to her attention so we could have tried rectify some of the for you.

Kind regards
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2013

Spent a week at the hotel from 8th October with two other adults and my young children. Wasn't expecting much due to the price but I ended up being impressed with everything.
Very good selection of food, even for fussy eaters like me and my children. Good entertainment put on for the kids and adults alike. Was a bit rowdy at times with the adults drinking and we were glad to be staying in the apartment block around the corner and not directly in the hotel.
Staff very eager to please and friendly.
Very clean and spacious apartment but beds not too comfortable. Was fine as a base and to be honest you don't spend a lot of time in there anyway.
Only real complaint I would have is that the pools were absolutely freezing, which put me and the children off from going in there. Shame as we all love swimming.
Overall a good holiday and would recommend the hotel to other families with kids.

Room Tip: If you want somewhere away from all the noise at night time request an apartment away from the main...
1 Thank SamanthaBoarder
Thank you very much for your feedback here ion trip advisor, it gives us gr5eat pleasure knowing that you enjoyed your time here with us.
Please accept my apologies that you found the beds to be uncomfortable and will certainly look in to this when making any changes to the hotel.
The food entertainment and the staff, are the 3 main points which give the Villamarina the feel good factor making everyone feel welcome and at home, thank you once again for your comments and look forward to seeing you again sometime in the future

Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed here for 2 weeks beginning of September with my family which included 2 small children, reception staff very helpful and chatty, got to the room which was tiny for 2 adults and a child and an infant. Was meant to have a travel cot in the room but it wasn't there so rang reception who quickly supplied one.... Which was broken! My husband layed on the bed and the bar at the top snapped,again phoned reception who were quick to send maintenance who supplied a new bed frame.
Requested pool view didn't get it but to be fair probably was a good thing as this is where the entertainment at night time is near and is quite loud, toilet smelt like a dirty pub toilet most days, cleaning was terrible always dirt in the floor after it had been done, had stains on mirrors from whoever was there before us and are probably still there not a big deal I know but still! Staff are lovely especially monica although except one bar man who seemed to have attitude when ever he served me because I politely asked for a bigger 'plastic cup' than he gave me, I didn't say much about all this until my 10 month old fell over in our room whilst crawling and when I picked him up he had a massive gash across his back from a missing piece of skirting board which resulted in the piece that was left to be like a dagger! Needless to say I went straight to reception where Monica helped clean him up and try to accommodate out needs by offering us various of things and a new room but we were leaving in 3 days and didn't want the aggro so it was fixed fairly quickly by maintenance, the hotel couldn't have been more helpful after this!
The food was really good but a bit repetitive the pools were ok but very cold as the sun doesn't get on to them till about midday they are a bit small but for the amount of people in them it doesn't seem overcrowded which his good. Evening entertainment weren't all that so went out most evenings in the town.
All in all we enjoyed our holiday but won't be returning to this hotel as will stay more in towards the main town. Like I said the food and staff are lovely here but the rest is not quite our cup of tea.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Witney11
Thank you for your review here on trip advisor
Great to here you found the staff to be good and accommodating, along with enjoying the food we had to offer.
Please accept my apologies you have various teething issues with your room on arrival and I’m glad that our maintenance were able to resolve these for you.
I remember clearly the incident with your son, and how Monica assisted yourselves, and hope he has made a full recovery.
Apologies you did not like the entertainment, we try to ensure there is something for everyone, quiz, bingo, mini disco, game show, disco, tribute acts, solo singers, karaoke and acrobats are few to mention on the program.
Thank you once again for your comments.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here last week 8th-15th Oct in a party of 3 adults and 2 kids.Having read the bad reviews we were a bit wary but to be honest we couldn't fault it. The food was nice and plentiful and I'm hard to please with food. My grandchildren had the time of their lives and loved every minute of the holiday. the staff work so hard to please and the apartment we stayed in was big,clean and comfortable. Yes, there were the inevitable "Benidorm" type people there but we were on holiday for the kids and if we had gone as a couple,we would have chosen differently.All in all, I have no complaints and would recommend this place to families although I wouldn't want to go in high season as it must be so noisy and manic.

Room Tip: Choose an apartment which is around the corner ,a bit away from the noisy families who drink outside...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Muchas Gracias - it give the hotel great pleasure knowing you and kids enjoyed their time here with us, and that you found the food to be of a good standard.
Thank you for your compliments with regards to the staff as this will be duly noted and feedback given to them.
Great reading your comments and hope to see you again in the future