“Lovely Hotel but!”

Ranked #45 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel but!”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Beautiful hotel lovely rooms, just a few little things not so good. No
Kettle or tea making facilities and no drawers for storage in rooms, decent size wardrobe but drawer space would be helpful. Lovely pool and poolside but unfriendly pool attendant. Indoor spa but had to pay for this would expect this for free in a four star hotel. Food good but again staff not very friendly except for Gary restaurant manager. Entertainment some nights good but on others dire. Bar in lounge closed and lights out at midnight, and not much atmosphere. Trini Lopez who was in charge of entertainment was wonderful and kept us entertained throughout the day with poolside games aerobics and dancing. We met many lovely people and had a wonderful holiday but would not return to this hotel other than to see the wonderful Trini again.

Room Tip: Rooms at beginning of corridor facing pool on curve of building very small balcony.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret N

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Polish first
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed for 10 nights in this hotel during September. On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff, there was a tourist charge of approximately €15.there was also a charge for rental of the fridge and the safe key,we rented a safe but left the fridge. Our room was clean and tidy, it was cleaned daily and I could not fault the cleaners in the slightest. We had a small balcony overlooking the pool with 2 patio chairs on it. The pool area was very quiet, we were always able to get 2 sun loungers side by side. The hotel seems to be popular with Spanish, French and Russian guests who all rise very early.

We stayed half board for our time. The breakfast each morning was from 8.00-10.30 and consisted of a hot breakfast including hash browns or fruit, cereal etc. there was tea and coffee and fruit juices, the breakfast was well worth the money we paid for it however the evening meal ws quite repetitive. Of the 10 nights we stayed, we ate dinner in the hotel about 4 days. We were able to change our dinner to the lunch option which was quite good and we used this on a few days. There was also an option for a picnic if u tell the staff before 7pm the previous evening. Overall I would advise bed and breakfast but for those who enjoy all inclusive the food was ok in the evening.

The location of the hotel is approx a 10 min walk into town centre. It is all on the flat And there is plenty to see so it is an enjoyable walk in the evening.
There is a bus plana advice centre where you can book bus tickets or excursions. The train station is also nearby. I would definitely advise the €1.30 bus trip into Cambrills, the next town over.

The only downside is that the hotel is very quiet in the evening. That may be a positive point for some people. There was some entertainment some of the nights we stayed but it always ended about 11pm and it was Spanish. The bar closes shortly after this so you need to make the walk into town for night time entertainment.

If I was to return to Salou I would consider staying here again but only for bed and breakfast.

1 Thank Tracy A
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Had 4 nights at this hotel whilst visiting our son who was working in Salou. First impression was very good and we had a nice clean room over looking the pool. However, the food was not that great, not 4* , the coffee and orange juice was undrinkable and the food was either bland or very salty. 80% of the guests were Russian so we thought the food was prepared for them as Salou seems to be setting up to rely on the Russians.
The area where the hotel is, is residential and the local bars do not seem to like tourist and seem to charge locals one price and tourists another. Don't think we will go back to Salou again but we do like Spain.

1 Thank jetmap
Northern Ireland
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My partner and I have just got back from a 7 night stay here. The weather was beautiful most days 30 - 31! I was very surprised!

To start off...the hotel looked beautiful on arrival. Check in however there where some problems. There was only 1 lady (who was very nice) working and there was about 15 couples waiting for check in. So that took some time think we were standing for about 45mins!

We were staying on the second floor in a pool view room. I was happy about this as the view from the front of the hotel isn’t very nice, you are looking out to run down buildings.
The room was lovely, very big and clean! Nice balcony. I was under the impression you had to pay for air con this was not the case however in are room. As air con was on. We did however have to pay for the fridge which I think is a bit of a downfall, as well as a 5euro deposit for the fridge key! The fridge is 2 euro a day!
The cleaners came to the room every day. I don’t want to be picky and complain about petty things but I no how some people like spotless rooms. The towels were changed everyday if you place the used ones in the bath. However I had gotten some make up on one of the hand towels and placed it in the bath, and the cleaner just took it out and hung it back out and the make up stains were clearly visible??
Also they don’t give the room a though clean each day, it’s really a towel change, empty the bin and a quick sweep around the floor.

The pool was lovely. Very clean I have to say. We never had a problem with any files or insects at all.

The spa and the gym was a let down. Not only did they over charge for the usage but to say you have a gym when there is 2 treadmills and a poor selection of weights isn’t 4star standard

Hotel entrainment....aww Trinny!! This woman is like a Durrell bunny! You have to give her credit she tries her best to keep any one who wanted to be entrained happy, she played a range of pool games through out the day!
I cannot say what night life entrainment was like as we went out every night.

Food…well firstly I was very disappointed on our first day as went down for lunch as we were only off the play and starving, I threw on a maxi skirt and a crop top...to be informed by the restaurant manager that my clothes were not suitable and was asked to change....oh dear!! And coming from the man who was wearing a worn black suit, a black shirt and a WHITE tie! I was not happy! It’s called fashion people!!!!
But however we ate breakfast and went for the lunch option every day. The food was standard I basically lived on chips and pasta all week. It was nothing special at all. And for all you coffee lovers the coffee is horrible from the machine n the restaurant.

The resort… you are close to shops and few bars and restaurants. If you come out of the hotel and turn right and go down the street about 5 min walk on your right there is a lovely we café that does beautiful coffee. I can’t remember the name but it has lime green seats out front.
But if you’re looking more of a pumping nightlife it’s about a 30 min walk away!
The beaches are beautiful about 10min walk from hotel.
We went on a trip to Barcelona to the football stadium then the magic foundations at night. Would really recommend this trip. We booked with the place across the road from our holiday and it cost us 31.00 euro each were as with the Thomas cook rep it was costing 57 euro!!
But have to say our rep was a man called Richard and he was very good and very helpful

On a hole we had a good time. Have to say I wouldn’t return to this hotel as it is in a very quiet area and the youngest person staying was around 50.
I would recommend eating out at night rather than the hotel as there is some lovely places and unless you like fish (with the bones) or pork your going to be living on chips.

1 Thank HelsBels-23
Voronezh, Russia
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Very good location away from crowdy center with plenty of restaurants and shops. The railway station to get a train to Barcelona (the trip takes 1 hour 15 mins) is 5 min walk, the beach - 10-15 mins. Bus Plana office and a bus stop - 2 mins down the street, but not all directions available. The Bus Plana South desk and bus stop is in the middle of the beach promenade, which is 20-25 mins walk from the hotel. However would recomment the families with kids or elderly people to choose a beach-front hotel to avoid walking. For us it was the best choice. The only drawback I would mention is the room cleaning - it could be better as well as the linen. My blanket had stains and sometimes I was suspicious about the cleanliness of towels. But in general it's a very good hotel, definitely the Spanish 4* level (not the German 4*). The food is excellent, both breakfast and dinner. Had mussels, small octopuses and shrimps, plenty of fish, fruit, including fresh ananas every day.

Room Tip: Street-front rooms are noisy, impossible to sleep with the open door, but absolutely quiet when shut...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

My partner and I have just got back from an eleven night stay in Salou, where we stopped at the California Palace hotel.
The hotel is quite modern and in our opinion, located in an ideal area of Salou. It is about 10 minutes walk from the beach and quite close to plenty of shops, bars and restaurants. The train station is about 5 minutes walk, which is handy, but far enough away not to be a nuisance.
The public areas of the hotel were clean and well maintained. However, there were a lot of hidden charges that have been free in other hotels. Examples are: the indoor spa, WiFi and the fridge in our room.
The pool area is much smaller than it looks on the brochure photo's, but it was okay. However, we found that because of the surrounding trees and buildings, much of the pool area was in shade for a large amount of the day. Having said this, it was September, so the sun wasn't as high in the sky. Another problem was mosquitoes around the pool area. I got 12 bites on the first day and we were only there for a couple of hours. This is probably due to the large number of trees surrounding the pool area. Also, we watched the pool maintenance man clean the pool every morning and check the water quality regularly, but pigeons were always drinking from the pool and often leaving a few droppings on the pool edge, which quickly dispersed into the water.
Our room was clean and reasonably equipped, except for the lack of drawers..., there were none. The maid came daily and the bedding and towels were changed regularly.
The restaurant and food was okay, but nothing special. The breakfasts were fine, with plenty of choice and the evening meals were not bad, apart from the lack of vegetables. I couldn't have done too badly, because I had put 10lbs on when I got back!!! Having said that, it was nothing like the four star food we have had in the past. The waitresses and waiters were a little keen to collect plates while you were still eating your last mouthful. A bit too efficient, but polite and friendly.
Overall a nice hotel and a pleasant stay, but not a four star.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view, not a street view.
1 Thank dangerousb
yorkie in wales
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Just spent a lovely week at this hotel in the new part of Salou. We really enjoyed our week and the weather was an added bonus. Everyone at the hotel were lovely nothing was too much trouble, my husband was in a wheelchair and so they reserved us a table near to the buffet which we thought was very thoughtful. The hotel itself is very clean and modern and our room on the 5th floor overlooked the side street, it was quite quiet apart from when the bin men came. The choice of food was pretty good considering they have to cater for so many nationalities and there was always plenty of it. Lovely pool with a Jacuzzi and a life guard present and outdoor activities on some mornings if you wanted. The hotel is not far from the beach and promenade which is ideal for anyone who has difficulty in walking as it is on the flat. We have been to Salou before and stayed nearer to La Pineda but we like where this hotel is situated better. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms are better and we were on the side where the underground garage is, it maybe noisier in...