“Mis-sold holiday - Not 4*”
Review of Golden Port Salou

Golden Port Salou
Ranked #5 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed October 6, 2012

My wife and I booked out holiday in August 2011 to travel in June 2012. As newly weds we wanted something of a similar standard to our honeymoon hotel. We visited the Thompson shop and were impressed with the service we received. Having explained our requirements The golden port was recomended to us from the 'platinum collection'. We paid £1600 for the two of us (school holidays as my wife works in education).

We flew from Manchester T2 and were very impressed with things here. The parking and free bus we're excellent and good value when pre-booked via Thompson extras on line. Our flight was with Thomson airways and the cabin crew immediately spotted that my wife is scared of flying. She was immediately spoken to and comforted as well as taken to the flight deck for a chat with the captain. They regularly checked on her welfare throughout the flight.

On arrival at the hotel we were fairly impressed with the reception area and lobby. The staff were quite polite and efficent and 3 members of staff were checking in as there were quite a few staying here off our coach. We took the lift up to the 4th floor and having walked to the far end of the corridor with our cases in tow found the room key card did not work. Off back to reception to get this rectified. On entering the room one would normally expect to be excited and discuss the features of the room, view from the balcony etc. We were both very quiet and quite quickly relaised we were both thinking the same thing.... what a run down, small and dated room. It was so small that there was hardly a gangway to walk around the double bed. There was no room to store your suitcases, the bed spread had white stains on it, the walls were marked with big black stains and the furniture on the balcony was very 'argos cica 1987'. The balcony itself was tiny as we were on the end of the building. We sat for about 20 mins before deciding to ring the thomson 24/7 line. They rang back within 30 mins and told us who to speak to at reception. we went back to reception and were told we should not have called Thomson but came back to see them. Another room was offeredand on inspection this was over looking a dusty road and car park and had no sunlight. We returned to the reception and by this point my wife was almost in tears. The receptionists spoke rapidly in Spanish to each other and we got the feeling they were complaining about us, but could not be sure as my Spanish stretches only as far as ordering a simple meal. Eventually we saw the 3rd room which was better than all of the rest but still had a lot to be desired. This was a triple room so there was room to put cases on the spare bed and the balcony was better. We unpacked and found that the shower was covered in black mould, the 80's furniture was back and during the course of the week we had several towels which were extremely holed and threadbare. Our cups were not changed once during the whole week.

We raised these comments with the rep on the 2nd day only to be told that our hotel was not a platinum hotel and had been 're-branded' in Dec 2011, we should have been told! We told her that we had not been told and if we had we may have choosen an alternative. She completed a customer comments form and we continued with our holiday.

As for the rest of the hotel, the public areas were clean and staff friendly. The bar staff were very good and helpful. Dispite speaking in Spanish to them they were happy to converse in English and said it was quicker for them! The resturant was good with reasonable service and a good choice of food. This did start to get a little repetitive towards the end of the week with two seafood 'gala nights' during the week. The spa was exceptionally good and great value for money. These services could be booked at reception or you could just use the pool and sauna facilities for a small charge. Children were not permitted and this led to a nice relaxed enviroment. Entertainment was reasonable and the staff on the team worked long hours and were very good, but you could take it or leave it... it was not forced upon you if you wanted to sit quietly.

Upon reflection I would say this was a 4* hotel with 1.5* rooms. The accomadation is in much need of a revamp. This hotel would be reasonable if it had not been sold as 'platinum' and the price reflected the standards. On returning to the UK we registered a complaint with the shop and entered into a long and frustrating process. This is another story however. My only tip for you is hand deliver any letters and keep records. Thomsons email system appears to be very selective in it's ability to deliver and receive important information!

Room Tip: It is our understanding that double rooms are smaller than twin rooms. A pool view is esential as t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MikeyR59
Write a ReviewReviews (1,716)

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Stayed here june 16th for 2 weeks had a fab holiday,arrived 11am had to wait an hour for room receptionist told us to leave cases in luggage store and use hotel facilities, we had a walk round the hotel and went back to reception in half an hour and our room was ready. The room was clean and tidy. The food was excellent catered for everyone, there was no rush to eat plenty of dining places (had heard some horror stories about all inclusive), plenty of choice. Entertainment was ok even if a little dated, not much choice of songs on karaoke. Stayed durong euro 2012, good atmosphere during the games. It was very busy round pool during the day but could still manage to get a lounger. Entertainment staff very good worked long hours, bar staff were friendly and good plenty of patience with any children. The whole hotel was clean. Stayed as a couple. There is a road train just outside the campsite up the road which is good for seeing some of the sights, which only costs 3euros. Went with Thompsons and the holiday rep at the hotel was excellent. It is worth going to the welcome meeting to receive your banana card and find the trips that are available, the cost is a few euros more expensive than buying out and about but you do get an english speaking rep on the coaches, would highly recommend a trip to the neu camp and barcelona fountains, really good day out. The holiday was really good, we flew back on 6th July and went to travel agents next day to book again for next year and are taking two grandchildren with us.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a pool view
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We arrived at this hotel 4th September and stayed until 18th september. When we arrived we only waiting 1 hour for our room which is very fair. There was 4 of us in our party, my husband and I and our respective mothers. We had room 606 and 607, the rooms were very clean. The tv channels had all the sky channels which if you wanted to watch just had to ask at reception. The room itself had handwash and all the usual toiletries on hand. Our rooms had pool view, thank you TP for the tip of emailing beforehand, just lush.

Not being a morning person, the rest of my lovely party ensured me that breakfast was the best meal of the day. Omelette and pancakes were cooked to order. Other meals were also just as good, unlimited salad and food, just say to say I put on 5 pounds while I was away. The AI offers in the bar food menu were ok as long as you ask butter.

The bar well what can I say the staff were lovely and I think one young lad took a liking to my mother in law, only joking cheeky so and so. Have to say if you wanted it they had it and just want to scream now I want it and run away without paying. The entertainment in the night, My mum loved Israel and his '69' and have to agree the best was the Michael Jackson night.

Very sad we won't be going back here next year as we had a cracking holiday after a year we would love to forget. But there is only 3 of us next year and they don't do single rooms. But big mucho gracias to everyone at the Golden Port Salou Hotel and hopefully see you very soon.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank lillym73
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Having just returned from this hotel here's my review which I hope will assist others.

Cleanliness - 4/5
Food: 4/5
Facilities: 4:5
Staff: 4/5
Location: 2/5

In all honesty despite my marks I wouldn't go back to this hotel, in fact Salou would be way down on my list of holiday destinations as its top heavy with cheap tacky egg n chips restaurants, pokey little so-called Irish Bars, Burger King, McDonald's and hundreds of the usual tacky gift shops coupled with the never ending stream of fake goods being peddled on the sea front by immigrants. Sadly the bars don't move them on for fear of reprisal so when your enjoying a drink or meal your constantly telling them to go away.

The only good thing about Salou nightlife is the bar LaSal overlooking the end of the beach. Danny the PR guy will try to get you to sit down for a drink and to be honest it's difficult to resist his charm because he's not too pushy and knows not to harass people unlike others nearby. Try the tapas food here, its really nice!!

Back to the hotel, I think my only criticism would be that the food choice is too repetitive, they should put more Spanish food on the buffet. Also around 6.00 am each day some huge noisy extractor fans kick in on the end of the building near the kitchens which resonate through the concrete walls. The lifts are slow and I felt like I had spent half my holiday stood waiting on the 7th floor waiting. The kids entertainment is the same every night (hate clowns) and the adult entertainment isn't much better to be honest. The cleaners are generally good and we were given fresh towels almost every day.

If you do stay here, don't bother with the All-Inclusive upgrade offer its simply not worth it unless you intent to live in the hotel 24/7 and drink yourself into oblivion on cheap alcohol or soft drinks. A half litre jug of red wine is only 5.15 euros at the hotel if you enjoy a drink with your evening meal and the shop just 100 yds away sells 6 x 1 ltr bottles of water for 1.4 euros whereas the hotel charges 1.65 euros for a small coke sized bottle. Half or Full board is probably the best deal if you intend going out for the day.

I can recommend the Jeep Safari, Ben our driver was full of knowledge and really easy to talk too. The wine tasting during the day was entertaining and a decent meal for 9 euros each can be ordered early on.

Not a bad hotel, but nothing memorable and more a good 3 stars than 4.

Room Tip: Don't request a ground floor room as sun worshipers will literally be on your balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Simon C
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We arrived in Salou for 1 week All Inclusive at the Golden Port Salou Hotel through Thomson. When we arrived at the hotel at 12.57pm on Friday 21st September, we were impressed by the large and modern lobby. When we went to the counter to actually obtain our room key, we found it extremely unusual when the staff member explained that they kept my passport until the end of our holiday (the entire holiday was booked in my name).

When we went to our room (209), we were absolutely disgusted to discover that the roof tiles in the bathroom were cracked, the shower was covered in limescale, there was a stain on the bath that resembled a woman's mucus plug at the beginning of labour, the bathroom tiles were dirty, the toilet flushing mechanism was loose and moving from side to side (not to mention it was dirty), there were various stains on the walls, there were food crumbs on the floor, the cot was filthy and had old chewing gum stuck to it, the bed and cot sheets were stained, the curtains were stained, there were sticky stains on the table and the side board below the TV, there was a random door in the room that was locked, the balcony door handle was broken, there were cigarette butts in the balcony, the balcony furniture had black staining, the railing above the safety glass on the balcony was broken, the balcony door was dirty, the dividers on the balcony outside were green from dirt and to top this all, there were a colony of ants in our room surrounding a mouldy crisp on the floor! We didn't even bother to unpack our bags but went straight to the reception to ask for our room to be re-cleaned. The receptionist spoke limited English but ensured us that the room would be cleaned straight away. My partner went back to the room immediately to put our 2 remaining passports in the safe and was met by 3 maids. One of the maids asked him "what is your problem" in a rude manner yet was unable to understand English when he attempted on explain the issues. The maid did however understand what he meant by the stain on the bath and she said "permanent stain".

Whilst the room was being cleaned, I went to take my daughter for a walk around the pool area and was disgusted to walk into a cloud of cigarette smoke whilst approaching the exit to the pool in the bar. There were numerous people sitting around the pool and outside bar area smoking as there didn't seem to be any designated smoking areas. I was very upset by this as my daughter suffers from mild Asthma and we had been assured by the Thomson Newry branch manager at the time of booking that the entire hotel was smoke free or we would have travelled to a different country where we knew the hotel was, as it stated in the brochure, smoke free. When we went back into the lobby area to meet with my partner after he had discussed the room issues with the maids, he decided to give our 14 month old daughter a cuddle and to our absolute horror a middle aged couple stopped in the hotel lobby, stared at my partner, looked him up and down in sheer disgust (he is very Alternative and has piercings, long hair and was wearing New Rock boots), stared at our daughter and snarled the word "disgusting" at us before they walked on. I was very upset by this and we waited outside the room where I was unable to hold back tears after the appalling remarks in the hotel lobby. I assume that the receptionists heard what the close minded, ignorant guests had said to us but decided to ignore the situation.

When we went back to the room, we were not surprised that it has not been cleaned and a large map had simply been placed over one of the stains on the side board in the room. I contacted the Thomson 24/7 emergency line as we wished to be transferred to another hotel. Later on the Friday evening, we went to diner in the hotel as we were hungry after a long night of travelling and were again shocked by the fact that we had to share a table with another couple who did not speak English and kept looking at us and laughing. I felt extremely anxious and uncomfortable with being put in this situation. After diner we went for a walk around the resort which was absolutely lovely. Before we went to bed my partner decided to have a shower and 5 minutes into his shower, the water turned boiling hot and scolded his skin before turning ice cold and then back to normal. Understandably, we were horrified as we intended to shower our daughter before bed and were fortunate that it was not her who was exposed to scolding water in the shower or we would have been in A&E with burns that night.

The next morning, the Thomson rep operating at the Golden Port Salou was disgusted with our complaints and transferred us to the Golden Avenda Suites hotel immediately. We were delighted to be leaving this disgusting hotel who do not have proper training in customer service and also need to employ new cleaning staff. We are extremely grateful that we were moved but also furious that when we booked our holiday, we paid over £1300 for 2 adults and an infant and were told that the Golden Port Salou was Thomson's top rated hotel. This was clearly a lie to encourage us to book a holiday. I would advise anyone considering on booking a holiday through Thomson or considering staying at this hotel to go elsewhere!!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
11  Thank Chloe S
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Had I reviewed on the day of our arrival this would be a different review all together After a two hour wait for our room to be ready we were given a room that faced front. It was impossible to sit on the balcony due to the heavy traffic outside. We went with Thomsons and I was very upset that they thought this room was good enough for their customers... On the other hand it's not the problem it's how it's solved and the hotel moved us to another room facing the pool- this was when the holiday started. This room was very nice. The air conditioning worked perfectly well and kept us cool on very hot evenings... The staff were polite and helpful. The food was very good- There was lots of choice, lots of food and the quality was very good. The room was always clean. The towels were changed. plenty of hot water. What we saw of the entertainment looked good. However we went to Chaplins most nights- where the entertainment was very good.
The hotel was not loud at night or in the morning. Overall.. We thought it was very good in deed.

Room Tip: Go to Chaplins -It was great. Ladies do not walk out alone At night. I was followed and someone else...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Raywen
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Extra big rooms. Very comfortable. Cleaners do not clean properly at all. Very noisy at night - hard to get a good night rest. The location is very good, it is walking distance to the beach and to the bars. The staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends