“Pleasant stay at Hotel Caribe”

PortAventura Hotel Caribe
Ranked #38 of 94 Hotels in Salou
Chelmsford, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay at Hotel Caribe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

We booked this hotel as part of a combined flight/hotel/theme park package for a quick 3 day trip to PortAventura in Spain.

Having stayed at on-site theme park hotels in the USA, my initial reaction was that the hotel was more "cheap & cheerful" rather than the 4* rating claimed on the website. However, there was actually nothing to worry about as the rooms were a generous size, clean and the staff all very polite and helpful.

We paid for half board and to be honest you would be mad not to pay the little bit extra over the B&B price because the food was very good indeed with a large range for both breakfast and dinner. Drinks prices were fine both in the restaurant and the bar.

The grounds appeared to be well maintained and free wi-fi was available in communal areas of the hotel at no extra charge. It is only a short 10 minute walk to the gates of PortAventura but there is also a free bus every 15-20 minutes or so.

Overall we were very happy with the hotel and whilst not quite up to the standard of something like the Royal Pacific at Universal Studios in Florida (which is 4*), it is also far less expensive! We would definitely stay at this hotel again although I would be tempted to stay in one of the hotels that has direct access to the park.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms (3rd floor) will be quieter as you can hear people moving about in rooms above when...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Andrew W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

My partner and I stayed here last week, and we were not overly impressed. Reception & check-in was quick and easy, although the descriptions of where to go for things like the restaurants in the evening, breakfast and where to go to get to your block could have been better we actually had to return to reception to find out where to eat..
The block that we were staying in was across the wooden bridge, this is a trip hazard, there are lots of broken slats of wood on the bridge and the panels leading up to it! Be very very careful!!

When we were booking we went for a standard room, but then after some thought decided we would treat ourselves to a superior room as we hadn't been abroad on holiday for 2 years. The room we were given was on the ground floor. As you enter the room there are wardrobes to the left with coat hangers and a small safe. In front of you is the bathroom which was large in size, with 2 sinks, a shower over the bath, a separate shower and the toilet behind a door to one side. When we decided to book a superior room, one of the things we were looking forward to was the "spa bath"...well if you want a small bath with grotty moulding spa nozzles then go ahead. The nozzles are made of white plastic which is turning brown/pink and going mouldy. the shower heads in both showers are covered in lime scale and very small. In the separate shower the drain must have been blocked as it was very slow to drain and started to fill up the tray, which would have been okay if the seals on the shower door worked properly...
There seems to be no seal under the door so water leaks all over the floor from here, but also there is a huge gap between the door and the panel it closes on to, its as if someone has tried to prize their way through the middle, has nobody noticed this before???
There was also only a very small amount of toilet paper on the roll by the toilet, but we figured it would be okay for the first day.
We thought housekeeping would top this up for us buuut no...Make sure you bring some loo roll, or if desperate you will need to walk over to the lobby and use the toilets there...or take a roll from there! - this is ridiculous!!

The room is of an okay size with a small balcony style seating area outside.
The bed was disappointing as it was made of 2 single beds just pushed together and not secured in any way and each single bed made with single sheets...
Sorry to be soppy but i like to cuddle up to my partner at night but we couldn't do that as the beds move apart if you sit or lay near the middle, we might as well have had separate rooms...

On the first night out of exhaustion we decided to make use of the buffet restaurant but were shocked when it was 25 euros per adult, and that's just the food. We also found out when we went into the restaurant for dinner that we had been moved from a different room to the one we had been given. After dinner we went in search of this room and found it was a much better location but decided not to say anything as we had already unpacked most of our things. The buffet was a horrible waste of our money as there was very little there that we wanted to eat and so only had 1 plate each with a couple of things on it. The next evening we ate out at a lovely restaurant had drinks each and starters and mains for 25 euros all together!!!

The only good things I can think of is there is a fridge in the room to store your water, but its a very small fridge so only takes small bottles of water, and there is underground parking with a lift to and from it. There are also a lot of security guards that wonder around day and night, this makes you feel safer within the resort.

If you just need somewhere to sleep at night and don't really care about the room then stay here but take the extra 5 minutes and eat out in Salou, don't waste your money on the rubbish they serve in the buffet.
Also if you want a decent table and breakfast take the earliest breakfast sitting as we did every morning, its best to be in the lobby just before 8am and wait for the doors to open so you get the best place and the freshest food!

Overall it was okay, but could have been better. We probably wouldn't stay here again.

3 Thank lottoextra
Northampton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

we arrived on 11th Spetember staying for a week 2 adults and 2 children (3 & 7 years old), although reception was slow there were not many people checking in. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, this is what caused the queues, im sure if it was slightly better organised you could still have the good service with speed.
as we had an early flight we arrived at the hotel about 10.30 am, but our room was not available to 2.15pm a bit frustrating but we did have a place to put our bags and was able to go to the theme park.
the rooms were a good size and although not new were still in a good state of repair. both of the pools were very nice, with lots of sunbeds and as it was a beach type pool, plenty of sand for the kids to play with. food and drink at the beach bars was good and fresh.
we stayed half board basis, Both breakfast and dinner were buffet style, but to a good standard. best to get in when they open to avoid the queues.
The train to the theme park comes along every 10-15 mins, but you can walk, beware of locals under the bridge offering special passes, whilst we was there 2 people were robbed when they got there walletts out.
The theme park is great, lots of goot rides for all of the family, during busy times (school holidays) get the fast pass, its half price at the hotel and will save a lot of queing.
the waterpark was only open on our first day, very nice with lots of slides and play areas but very busy with long queues for the good slides.
Did have a few problems with a convention from one of the phone companies that were staying, making lots of noise and partying on their balconies till 3am throwing toilet rolls into the trees, not good when you have small children trying to sleep, security would always deal with any issues though. We moved rooms to a block that didn't have many of them in and it was much quieter.
you can easily walk into Salou and down to the beach, nice area to walk around with lots of shops bars and resturants.
top tips;
Avoid the theme park at weekeends, its when most of the locals go, so spend the day at the beach or the pool.
the Temple del Fuego is only open at weekends and bank holidays, so have this as the only show you do and get on the first one of the day (midday).
do the shows during the hottest part of the day, was a good rest for the kids (and for us).
The further you go into Salou the more local bars and resturants you can find, but if you want english/irish pubs there are lots of them on the way.
if you can go outside of school holidays, much quieter and less queues for the rides.
Dont buy stuff from the lookie lookies on the beach, the police dont like them and th stuff will be tat.
you can hire towels from the hotel for the beach or pool, 15 euros depsit for each (you do get it back), much better thean taking towels with you.
You can swap your halfboard evening for a voucher at a selection of resturants both at the hotel and sister hotels or in the park, we tried the italian at the hotel, the pizzas were not the best so stuck to the buffet after that.
All in all apart from the phone conference idiots we had a great time and would recomend to friends with children or couples who like theme parks.

Room Tip: Try to get in the 2 storey blocks, the middle rooms on the 3 storey can be a bit noisey.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Mataro
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have just returned from a short break here at the Caribe Resort. We knew from checking the website, and also phoning the night before that check in is at 3pm. However, if you arrive before then, you will be checked in and can store your bags somewhere, we chose to leave ours in the car for convenience. At check in you get your rooms cards, which are also the cards for entry to Portaventura and can go there straight away, it beats waiting in reception until your rooms are ready. They send you a text when you room is ready with the block and number.
After reading negative reviews, I have come to the conclusion that some people expect the world and more for the price they pay! This hotel is not cheap, but you have to remember that it's a theme park resort. The room we were given was excellent, clean and large. King sized bed and a large sofa bed. I noticed that all the rooms look on to the lagoon pools. The decoration is pleasing and the landscaping incredible!
We were in the Jamaican block which is near to the children's pool and play park area, great for our little girl.
The dinner buffet had a good choice of food, take note of the closing times for Portaventura and aim to eat around this time. As you can imagine, when the park closes, give or take an hour after is 'rush hour'.
At breakfast there is a choice of turns, we chose the 8am-8:30am one, which was a good choice, after this time we saw people queuing up to get in. We forgot our 'breakfast card' but this wasn't a problem on the early turn.
When we booking the hotel, we 'trawled' through many sights. The best deal turned out to be on the parks website as we could book half board at a discount and fast passes at a discount.
The mini disco was a treat for our daughter, as was the balloon figures and characters walking around the hotel. This was something as a bonus, as we went low season.
People have complained about the long walks to the rooms, can they not walk 100m around a beautiful lagoon, through Palm trees and past white sandy 'beaches'?? Then ask reception for one not too far away.
One thing a bit strange was the Russian only children's club???
All in all, a great family trip!

Room Tip: Fast passes are great for couples traveling with young kids. Take turns and don't wait to queue...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank maxserg
Paphos, Cyprus
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We used this hotel to go to the theme park for two days in a row. That was our main focus. The theme park was fabulous and I wish that I can sleep INSIDE the theme park! I would not have to walk to it! :)

My friend paid 350 euros (or similar) for 2 nights. So my expectations were high.

Now to the nitty gritty:

a) Rooms: The beds were lovey! I LOVED the long pillows which are suitable for people who like to sleep with pillows between their legs in the foetal position ( as well as pillows for their own heads!) I want to buy that pillow here at home and I will.
The decor was nice. The sofa bed was comfortable. I really cannot fault the interior design or the furniture of our standard room.

b) Bathroom: The bath itself and shower curtain were outdated. Really did not match the nice interior design of the bathroom. Towels can be a bit more luxurious. They were just standard white towels and nothing amazing about them. But you know that luxurious soft towels are just fabulous next to your skin, right? I liked the bathroom in whole. It just did not match the beauty of the whole hotel in whole.

c) Breakfast: They were very strict, asking for that 'breakfast card' the receptionist gives to you on arrival. I just find it strange handing over a breakfast card when I think it's perfectly alright to say your room number and name.
Lots of food variety. Breads, fruits, cakes, milk, cereal, blah the whole lot. You name it, they had it. However, bear in mind, for those who are into fitness and into healthy and 'clean' eating, there isn't much of any option. I didn't find any low fat yoghurt (full of proteins!). The nuts were all mixed together. I had to dig out the almonds. And they didn't taste that great either. The fried eggs were very fried! With oil dripping off them. I tried out the boiled eggs. It was difficult shelling the eggs and when I ate the eggs, I didn't like them. There was muesli (which I didn't have) but there was no porridge. The sausages were brilliant. I had to change what I eat for breakfast in order to fill myself up. The coffee - inadequate. I live in Cyprus and our coffees are top quality so I was disappointed with the hotel's coffee. Straight out of a machine. I've had coffees out of a machine in other places and they tasted so much better! The theme park's coffees? Much better!!
So, the breakfast buffet is fantastic for people in general. But not for those who are into fitness or healthy/clean eating - so that you are aware.

Entertainment - limited for adults but fantastic for children. Bring your laptop full of films and your time will pass by. I didn't bring my laptop. We had an Ipad. Epic fail. Or visit Salou. Hotel has an indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and gym which I didn't use but they looked fabulous.

Swimming Pool - Amazing. I loved it. Full stop.

Restaurants in the hotel: I tried the buffet which cost 24 euros per person. Not worth it. The salad was the best part as it was full of flavour. The food itself, could have been cooked better and some could have been healthily cooked, not fried or sitting in fat.
We went to another restaurant (by the pool). Not a great selection of food. We had the tapas and the food was not very authentic. We had tapas in Barcelona so we know what tapas are supposed to be like. Only the chorizos tapas was actually Spanish. In total we paid 50 euros for a plate of bready canapes, chorizo tapas and one other I can't remember plus a bottle of water. We were not even full up. You are better off eating out in Salou or eating cheaper junk food in the theme park at 6.45pm before it closes at 7pm.

To summarise the whole review, I liked the bedroom, bathroom, the swimming pool and its amazing access to the theme park. The food and evening entertainment let me down. So if you go to the hotel prepared and with an open mind, you will love this hotel and have a fabulous time.

That's all from me.

Room Tip: Ask for one nearest to the spa/gym as you'll walk to the hotel much quicker.
6 Thank Paphos_Photographer
Martorell, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

The room was a great size, (we had a superior room) king size bed but part of the base was broken so if you sat at the end the bed flipped up!
The other facilities all worked. It was good to have a fridge in the room and the balcony was a good size.
The bathroom had a whirlpool but it was a bit weathered althought functioned well. The base of the shower looked like it needed to have the seal changed as it was all yellow and the bottom of the door frame appeared to be rotting. Honestly the room would be excellent if it was rennovated a little.

The swimming pool looked lovely with the sand and it was very different. We visited a little out of season so the pool was very quiet. I can imagine that it must be great in the high season.

The reception were very helpful, polite and friendly as were the bar staff and breakfast staff.
The major highlight was the breakfast. It appears to have been specifically tailored to cater for everyone with every kind of breakfast possible and it was included in the cost. A 5* breakfast. A 3* room (only in terms of it´s need to be rennovated) A 4* resort as it also offered shows, the chance to meet the characters and fun for all the family.

1 Thank FieldFace
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Caribe 15th September for 1 week with my family .
7 adults and 2 children aged 8 and 18 months .
Checking in is strictly 3pm which we knew before arrival , we arrived at 11am and went to reception at 2.45 pm to see if our rooms were ready and they make you wait until 3pm sharp .
As you walk to your rooms you go past either one of the two pools which are magnificent to say the least ... The hotel rooms are in small blocks of around 30 rooms per block and are named after Caribbean islands.
The rooms are NOT 4 star but we had are room cleaned daily and fresh toilet paper everyday .
The food at the pool areas was average with chicken burger and hot-dog and chips etc ... It's about 7 euro for a meal which isn't too bad , a pint was 3.50 euro.
We were half board and the food on the evening was different each night and very good indeed ... Steaks , Chops , paella , pastas etc .
Breakfast was the same everyday but was a high standard .
The staff were very unhelpful when asking them for directions or anything about the hotel .
Entertainment at the hotel is basically non- existent .. We saw a sign for a kids disco at 9 pm so took the kids there only for it all to be in Spanish .
PortAventura park is amazing and we took full advantage of the free passes going 3 times ... You need 2 days to see it all !
The Spanish at the park don't understand what a que is and it can get very frustrating at times you just have to physically push them back and then they understand !
Salou is a 10 to 15 min walk and is good for shopping and a few beers on an evening .
Aquapolis Waterpark in La-Pineda is good for a day as the Waterpark at PortAventura was closed which we were told after we booked .
Overall a hotel with 5star pools and grounds 4 star food , 3 star rooms and 2 star staff !!!

• Stayed September 2012