“I felt like I was on a tropical island!”

PortAventura Hotel Caribe
Ranked #39 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Paphos, Cyprus
“I felt like I was on a tropical island!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We used this hotel to go to the theme park for two days in a row. That was our main focus. The theme park was fabulous and I wish that I can sleep INSIDE the theme park! I would not have to walk to it! :)

My friend paid 350 euros (or similar) for 2 nights. So my expectations were high.

Now to the nitty gritty:

a) Rooms: The beds were lovey! I LOVED the long pillows which are suitable for people who like to sleep with pillows between their legs in the foetal position ( as well as pillows for their own heads!) I want to buy that pillow here at home and I will.
The decor was nice. The sofa bed was comfortable. I really cannot fault the interior design or the furniture of our standard room.

b) Bathroom: The bath itself and shower curtain were outdated. Really did not match the nice interior design of the bathroom. Towels can be a bit more luxurious. They were just standard white towels and nothing amazing about them. But you know that luxurious soft towels are just fabulous next to your skin, right? I liked the bathroom in whole. It just did not match the beauty of the whole hotel in whole.

c) Breakfast: They were very strict, asking for that 'breakfast card' the receptionist gives to you on arrival. I just find it strange handing over a breakfast card when I think it's perfectly alright to say your room number and name.
Lots of food variety. Breads, fruits, cakes, milk, cereal, blah the whole lot. You name it, they had it. However, bear in mind, for those who are into fitness and into healthy and 'clean' eating, there isn't much of any option. I didn't find any low fat yoghurt (full of proteins!). The nuts were all mixed together. I had to dig out the almonds. And they didn't taste that great either. The fried eggs were very fried! With oil dripping off them. I tried out the boiled eggs. It was difficult shelling the eggs and when I ate the eggs, I didn't like them. There was muesli (which I didn't have) but there was no porridge. The sausages were brilliant. I had to change what I eat for breakfast in order to fill myself up. The coffee - inadequate. I live in Cyprus and our coffees are top quality so I was disappointed with the hotel's coffee. Straight out of a machine. I've had coffees out of a machine in other places and they tasted so much better! The theme park's coffees? Much better!!
So, the breakfast buffet is fantastic for people in general. But not for those who are into fitness or healthy/clean eating - so that you are aware.

Entertainment - limited for adults but fantastic for children. Bring your laptop full of films and your time will pass by. I didn't bring my laptop. We had an Ipad. Epic fail. Or visit Salou. Hotel has an indoor swimming pool, jacuzzi, sauna and gym which I didn't use but they looked fabulous.

Swimming Pool - Amazing. I loved it. Full stop.

Restaurants in the hotel: I tried the buffet which cost 24 euros per person. Not worth it. The salad was the best part as it was full of flavour. The food itself, could have been cooked better and some could have been healthily cooked, not fried or sitting in fat.
We went to another restaurant (by the pool). Not a great selection of food. We had the tapas and the food was not very authentic. We had tapas in Barcelona so we know what tapas are supposed to be like. Only the chorizos tapas was actually Spanish. In total we paid 50 euros for a plate of bready canapes, chorizo tapas and one other I can't remember plus a bottle of water. We were not even full up. You are better off eating out in Salou or eating cheaper junk food in the theme park at 6.45pm before it closes at 7pm.

To summarise the whole review, I liked the bedroom, bathroom, the swimming pool and its amazing access to the theme park. The food and evening entertainment let me down. So if you go to the hotel prepared and with an open mind, you will love this hotel and have a fabulous time.

That's all from me.

Room Tip: Ask for one nearest to the spa/gym as you'll walk to the hotel much quicker.
6 Thank Paphos_Photographer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Martorell, Spain
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The room was a great size, (we had a superior room) king size bed but part of the base was broken so if you sat at the end the bed flipped up!
The other facilities all worked. It was good to have a fridge in the room and the balcony was a good size.
The bathroom had a whirlpool but it was a bit weathered althought functioned well. The base of the shower looked like it needed to have the seal changed as it was all yellow and the bottom of the door frame appeared to be rotting. Honestly the room would be excellent if it was rennovated a little.

The swimming pool looked lovely with the sand and it was very different. We visited a little out of season so the pool was very quiet. I can imagine that it must be great in the high season.

The reception were very helpful, polite and friendly as were the bar staff and breakfast staff.
The major highlight was the breakfast. It appears to have been specifically tailored to cater for everyone with every kind of breakfast possible and it was included in the cost. A 5* breakfast. A 3* room (only in terms of it´s need to be rennovated) A 4* resort as it also offered shows, the chance to meet the characters and fun for all the family.

1 Thank FieldFace
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Stayed at the Hotel Caribe 15th September for 1 week with my family .
7 adults and 2 children aged 8 and 18 months .
Checking in is strictly 3pm which we knew before arrival , we arrived at 11am and went to reception at 2.45 pm to see if our rooms were ready and they make you wait until 3pm sharp .
As you walk to your rooms you go past either one of the two pools which are magnificent to say the least ... The hotel rooms are in small blocks of around 30 rooms per block and are named after Caribbean islands.
The rooms are NOT 4 star but we had are room cleaned daily and fresh toilet paper everyday .
The food at the pool areas was average with chicken burger and hot-dog and chips etc ... It's about 7 euro for a meal which isn't too bad , a pint was 3.50 euro.
We were half board and the food on the evening was different each night and very good indeed ... Steaks , Chops , paella , pastas etc .
Breakfast was the same everyday but was a high standard .
The staff were very unhelpful when asking them for directions or anything about the hotel .
Entertainment at the hotel is basically non- existent .. We saw a sign for a kids disco at 9 pm so took the kids there only for it all to be in Spanish .
PortAventura park is amazing and we took full advantage of the free passes going 3 times ... You need 2 days to see it all !
The Spanish at the park don't understand what a que is and it can get very frustrating at times you just have to physically push them back and then they understand !
Salou is a 10 to 15 min walk and is good for shopping and a few beers on an evening .
Aquapolis Waterpark in La-Pineda is good for a day as the Waterpark at PortAventura was closed which we were told after we booked .
Overall a hotel with 5star pools and grounds 4 star food , 3 star rooms and 2 star staff !!!

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank camperman77
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one week with my two friends and it was great. We found that this place would also be lovely for families with children.we looked on tripadvisor before booking and read the negative comments. They must have been rectified because we had No complaints whatsoever! Close to town, clean, friendly staff, if I return to salou I'll stay here again! There is a free train to take you to port aventura and the centre is a straightforward 10 minute walk. There is also free wifi in the reception area which can be handy.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Dublin_IrelandKerrie
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

1st impression of the hotel was not very good, the tiled floor of the room had not been sweep on arrival. The safe was locked and the hotel staff were not able to open it, eventually we managed to sort it our selves. The patio doors did not lock and there was a smell of damp on the balcony which we suspect was from the near by palm trees that need old rotting leaves to be removed. Staff were generally ok if a little too efficient at clearing the tables, twice we returned from the buffet to find the table had been cleared which included our part drunk drinks. The food was very good especially breakfast.
The park was extremely busy, waiting times for the bigger rides were two and a half hours at times. I would suggest that you purchase a fast pass for at least one day from the hotel at half price if your budget will stretch to it. I was very surprised with the large numbers of people smoking not only in the adventure park but in the queues as well.

3 Thank Gill P
Edinburgh
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Well..A lot has changed since 2010..
We arrived at mid-day and check in was pretty fast. We were given our welcome pack which consisted of a PortAventura Guide and details of the hotels amenties. FAST PASSES ARE NOW NOT INCLUDED - THESE CAN BE PURCHASED AT THE HOTEL FOR A DISCOUNTED RATE OF 12EUR EACH COMPARED TO 25EUR AT THE PARK ITSELF. You are asked to select a time for Breakfast each morning but to be honest you can go down anytime and they do not say anything. Breakfast is from 0700 - 1030 and Dinner is 0700 - 2230. Access to the PortAventura Beach Club which in previous years was free, is also now not included and you are required to pay 20EUR which includes a shuttle service there and complimentary drink..
Everything at the hotel was good and I could not really complain for the most of it however the only service I thought could have been improved was the cleaning of the rooms. I felt that this was not done thoroughly as under our bed the amount of dust and stoor was ridiculous and as there is a sandy pool area at the hotel sand seemed to get everywhere which proved the floors were not swept properly etc..
WASPS are in abundance at the pool areas so please be careful - not the hotels fault I know however not a great experience swatting wasps every 5 minutes whilst lying by the pool or even worse if you have a coca cola or fanta by your sun lounger..

All In all it still is a good hotel but unfortunately for me this hotel had let me down only as the services were not as good as when I last stayed so it will be the last time I stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms on Ground Floor do not have barriers to keep young ones in
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Deano19
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Never written a review before, however after reading previous reviews that helped me choose what transpired to be a great holiday and as with previous comments I will give an honest opinion of my time at the Caribe Hotel in Salou.

Overall it was excellent. There appears to be a general theme of critisms that I would probably agree with, ie Checking-in/reception not the quickest and not being able to have your room till 3pm was a bit of a pain but we checked in our bags and went up to the Theme park for a few hours and got the keys to our room on our return at about 5pm, no queues and our bags were in our room waiting for us. The rooms aren't the biggest however, even with our two children (3&7) we were hardly in the room and therefore was not a problem. I have to agree with a previous commentator that where as the staff may not be the friendliest they certainly arent rude and also found that by me making an effort with the most basic of their language was greeted with a warm , positive response. I personally hate the 'over the top' service you get in the likes of the US anyway as in my opinion is not natural and just seeking a larger 'tip'. We normally go self catering so I was very sceptical about the food however found it excellent and way above expectation. I did chuckle about the 'Rat in the kitchen' on loop though.
One big negative for me though, which is aimed at the human race and not at the Hotel is the blatant theft of food at breakfast. People of all nationalities literally cramming made up rolls, fruit and anything else edible into Ruck Sacks, beach bags etc. This was certainly going on without being confronted by staff. I wonder whether the cost of the bar is just compensating the cost of this greed!! As you can tell I found it really annoying.
Drinks arent cheap however I found the prices similar to restaurants on the Salou beach front. Eg 2 apple juice, 1 large beer and 1l Jug of Sangria was 17Euros.
Portaventura Theme Park and the Waterpark were amazing. Purchasing the express passes is certainly money well spent.
I truly think you will have a great time as long as you understand this is a busy, family hotel and I genuinely do not have any moans and groans about the Hotel at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family