“A FANTASTIC HOLIDAY FOR FAMILIES” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of PortAventura Hotel Caribe

PortAventura Hotel Caribe
Ranked #36 of 95 Hotels in Salou
Cheadle Hulme, United Kingdom
“A FANTASTIC HOLIDAY FOR FAMILIES”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

This was our family's first holiday abroad, with my partner, my 4 year old son and i.
What a place to go for your first holiday as a family. The hotel and park are amazing, we wanted to stay as a week just didn't feel like long enough.

I'll start with arrival, sadly our flight was delayed 3hrs on departing and that put a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth straight away. Being it was the first time my partner and son had flown it wasn't the best first impression of what a summer holiday should be. Luckily though when we arrived at the hotel all was forgotten as we were greeted by tri-lingual reception staff who talked us through everything we needed to know for the week from meal times, "dine-around" and entertainment to park passes and mini-train times. We took a slow walk to the room through the grounds of the hotel to take in the stunning scenery of the resort, and were amazed by how gorgeous the white sand pool looked and couldn't wait to get changed and get in.

We were staying in "Aruba" (all the apartment blocks are named after Caribbean isles) and the room was spotless as you'd expect when we arrived. Your room key is multi-functional, it powers the fusebox in your room and also doubles as your Portaventura theme park pass. We had two 3/4 double beds which was more than enough for the three of us. Rooms have a hairdryer, a mini-fridge (mini it definately is) and a TV, which as long as you don't get a thunder storm has BBC 1, CBBC, and Cbeebies (which double as BBC Three and BBC Four after 7pm GMT) The room was thoroughly cleaned and all towels changed daily, quite often while we attended breakfast which was nice to come back to before the days activities.

The pool was stunning, although ice cold, probably due to the weather not being peak season it was only ever a maximum of 24-25C. It was a nice change to feel soft white sand under your feet instead of hard cold tiles. We didn't use the pool much, just due to the amount of things i tried to squeeze into a 7 day holiday.

The theme park itself was great. We arrived just moments before the greeting dance started on the edge of the lake with Woody the Woodpecker and other dancers dancing to Hola Portaventura (which is so catchy). My son was mesmerised, and the fountain display in the background was fantastic. I recommend Furius Baco and Drago Kahn to any thrill seekers, and make sure you take a spare change of clothes or buy a poncho if you are to go on Tutuki Splash (i was drenched). The new Sesamo Aventura area is great for kids although alot of the rides around the park are for 1m30+ there are rides that kids can get on with an adult accompanying them. i recommend you see every show as after every one i had to ask myself was that better than the last one as they were all fantastic.

Anyone looking to take a trip to Barcelona while in Salou can either use the coach trips recommended by the reps (they offer various trips and admisson to the well known sights of Barcelona) or for the more confident of travellers use the train. Potaventura station is about a five minute walk from the hotel and if you ask at reception they will make print you the timetable. Train prices are 14euros for an adult and under 4s travel free, much cheaper than the coach trips!

The buffet food for breakfast and evening meal was not Michelin star but definately enough choice for even the pickiest of people. My 4 year old son had no trouble finding himself stuffed to bursting point every evening. The food in "La Piazza" the a la carte restaurant was nearly the same as the food in the buffet, only difference really was there was less of it and you didn't have to get out of your seat, but i would say try it, it makes a nice change midweek.

Not been back long (approx 4hrs) and i've already been looking at booking next years holiday, probably going to return but maybe try the Hotel El Paso which is another of Portaventura's 4 hotels but the only one that offers All-inclusive, and there will be 4 of us next year....

Hope this has helped as i know other peoples reviews helped me to pick this hotel

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank LiamPW

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2011

it my second hollydays in theme parks (the first is in Disneyland Resort), but my first in this park, and i love this trip.
i book the hotel in portaventura website for three days/two nights, i made the trip in my car, its very ease access to the hotel by car, and they have a free parking, i put my car in the park when i arrive and only take it out when im gone, very safety.
the check in its very quick for me because i arrive in a good time, after a few hours i saw alot of people waiting. the recepcionist was very kind, my receptionist was teaching a new employee, "my luck" (but i continue speaking spanish), because of this the process its a little bit slower, but it is understandable.
the hotel is spread over several buildings around a artificial beach, we stay at the 2nd floor of "Bermudas" Building, the access is very simple, we walk around the beach.
the room keys and the park pass its the same car, so every people has one with our personal name identification (its good), the room is nice, a big and confortable bed, small table with one chair, a couch, a tv (but we dont need them, we are on holydays right?) and we have access to a balcony with a couple of chairs and a table, with view two the "beach".
everyday the room was clean, nothing to apoint. at night we had the bad luck of catching some "neighbors" in the next room with noisy children, and they remembered from time to time to cnock the door separating the rooms, in hallways at night its quite but soon in the morning the kids start to run and make noise, what makes a good alarm clock, in the second day, we woke up frightened, because a little girl that miss her room and slam the door, and tries to open it, my girlfriend open the door and took her to the right room, downstairs.
we can buy something for "mini bar" but most are chocolates, we boght some water and snacks at the park and leave to the room.
the Breakfast is served at the buffet has a wide variety of things, from pancakes, bacon, eggs, fruit, etc, etc. nice food and very good way to star a day.
we eat one time in the italian restaurant a la carte, we dont need to booking, the food its ressonable, i eat better but its not BAD. the other meals we did the other meals inside the park, which has many restaurants.
the travel to park its made by a train, 5 minutes trip, and 15 minutes walking, with did that sometimes to relaxing and enjoy the views.
at night we spend some time around the "beach" and in the outside the bar room drinking some margaritas, have a lot of drinks and cocktails, nice to spend a relaxing time, in the inside of bar room, we have some video games and music at night. the walk around the "beach" at night its very relaxing, because its quite, all kids are in rooms, and we can enjoy a little "peace".
was a good experience and I recommend staying at this hotel, the park is spectacular, very fun waiting.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NPimenta
Cheshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2010

Club Rooms are fantastic and worth the upgrade. Although dining options are limited its a great place for the kids to chill out and have some fun on the attractions, great pool.

1 Thank petejay
Bristol
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

First, i must point out that this is our 2nd year at the Caribe and i cannot help but compare with our trip last year.

Both years we have gone for 2 weeks in August, but sadly i was disappointed with some aspects this year. Apparently the park and hotels have been taken over by new Italian owners in the last 12 months and according to the staff have been making cutbacks ever since. Yes, in this economic climate, this is to be expected, but i really noticed it this year and the cost of my holiday went up, not down!

Firstly, dont struggle packing beach towels into your suitcases. You can hire them for a deposit of 15 euro each from the hotel spa. You can change them for clean ones as often as you like and you can get your deposit back to spend on the last day.

The buffet restaurant is still excellent and, in my opinion, the best managed part of the hotel. I dont have fussy kids but i am fussy and my husband a diabetic. Loads of salad, fruit, pizza and pasta every night. Many nights they had some lovely fresh carved meat which was lovely. They also have a special section just for kids which is low level for them to help themselves and has a good kids selection. Breakfast is equally good with loads of choice. My only grumble about breakfast is that you are allocated a timeslot on check-in. That said, we could only get an 8am slot for one of the days but we turned up at 10.15, no problems. Not sure what the process is trying to achieve really.

For evening meals, i would thoroughly recomend 'dine around'. This is where you change your evening buffet meal for one at another restaurant - either Gold River or PortAventura hotels or a restaurant in the park. We ate at both hotels - portaventura hotel buffet is about half the size of the Caribe but the Gold River hotel buffet is nicer, with smoked salmon and prawns - which you dont get at the others. We also had filet steak at the Iron Horse Hotel (restaurant) in the park. Unless you order a bottle of wine, there's often nothing to pay.

One of the cutbacks at the hotel must be cleaning staff. Although the room was cleaned with new towels every day the communal areas let them down. The stairs were swept about once a week, which was not enough. The pool areas, seriously, i doubt they have been cleaned since last year. The water itself is fine and their pools must be the best in the resort, but the sand surrounding the sand pool desperately needed cleaning of the fag ends and rubbish and the other pool had some slimey algae areas that were very slippery. This is exactly the same as last year but not what i expect of a 4* hotel.

Then we come onto service. The staff are rushed off their feet but will do everything they can to help - once you have their attention. The queues last year were unacceptable, this year they are even worse. You can normally expect to wait at least half an hour at reception. If you just want to order a taxi to Salou or dine around your evening meal, this is very frustrating. After 2 weeks i was so fed up of it that i took photos for evidence. At that time, easily 50 people waiting to either check in or other things. I watched from the decking and some were there over 2 hours. Ironically the travel reps desk is right by reception but they dont seem to care at all. The staff are very helpful but there's not enough of them. I do not believe the hotel was full during our stay either.

Queues at the pool bar at lunchtime and the main bar in the evening were easily half an hour. I estimated i spent about 2 hours a day queing - which is a lot of my holiday over 2 weeks. There are, obvioulsly quiet times, but honestly it drove me mad.

I tried to see the Thomas Cook rep several times over the holiday to express my frustration but never once managed to catch him. Did i ever see him by the pool or in the bar in the evening, no, nor any other rep. It's not surprising things are going downhill if the people paid to represent us sit at their desk, do airport duties or schmooze at welcome meetings. They need to get out to the hotel and see what's going on.

My final moan is the kids entertainment. Last year this was top notch. A mini disco and kids theatre production every night. Every night this was packed out and my 2 thoroughly enjoyed it. Animators round the hotel during the day, running activities to amuse the kids. This year they are still doing a mini disco (in spanish) every night although it lasts less than 1/2 hour. Alleged shows on Friday and Saturday nights only but it was a show on friday (in Spanish) and a bunch of the characters singing on stage on the saturday night. According to the staff, they have not only had to cut the number of shows but also the number of actors they have on stage. Also the number of hours the animators are on duty during the day. Having gone with young kids who had expectations based on last year - this mattered to us.

So pro's and con's. For proximity to the park, the restaurant, and the pools i would recomend this hotel. If you have not been before you will surely love it, but you will notice the difference if you have been before.

Not sure i will go to that hotel again based on the fact it's very expensive in August and not sure it's worth the money anymore. I will probably try a different hotel. As for Thomas Cook and their invisible rep - not a chance!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank glitterbomb4ever
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

We booked this hotel on the recommendation of a travel agent and only read the reviews on trip advisor afterwards. After reading many reviews which complained about length of check in, bad service, standard of cleaning etc I was not sure what to expect and thought that maybe we had made a mistake. We have just returned having spent a week at the Caribe and can say that we were very happy with our choice of holiday.

We arrived at about 11am and check in was a bit slow but I would not class that as a complaint as two coaches arrived in quick succession and they do have a lot of information to give you. The rooms are not available until 3pm so we got our swimming things, left our bags in the storage area and went to the water park for the day. We returned to find our bags had been taken to our room.

The rooms are basic and as has been said in many reviews are not of 4 star standard, but they are cleaned everyday with fresh towels and bedding (every 3 days.) The only point about the rooms are that the walls are quite thin and we were woken a couple of times by the people above us pulling out chairs and dropping things on the floor.

We felt that the hotel was in an excellent location, 5 mins train ride to the parks and about 10 - 15 mins to the beach club. The food was varied and lots of it no matter what time you went, they even catered for the ignorant English who only wanted burgers and chips.
Drinks and snacks in the hotel and parks are expensive eg 1.25 Euro for 0.5 litre water, 2.5 Euro for a coke, 10 Euro for hotdog, chips and a drink. I would recommend going to the local supermarket and stocking up on water (3 Euro for 6 litres) and snacks which are half the price and also taking a few rolls & fruit at breakfast for lunch time.

The theme park is massive but the water park is not so big with only half a dozen decent rides. I would recommend going to the water park early when the queues are short and going to the theme park in the evenings (it closes at midnight). We went to the water park or beach club during the day and theme park about 8 - 9pm which was much quieter and the max time we waited for a ride was 15 minutes as opposed to 1+ hour during the day. We were given fast track tickets for some of the rides but we never had to use them. The show at the theme park at midnight is brilliant and worth staying for.

This was a great holiday especially for the kids and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

6 Thank rob3000
Norwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

Just got back from a week in the Hotel Caribe and my family and I were all very impressed being that it was our first time in Spain.

Best points:
The Hotel : Location to the Portaventura theme park and aquapark as they are only a 5 min mini train ride away (walkable distance from the hotel if you're feeling energetic). The hotel swimming pools, of which there are 3 that we saw, are all clean, and safely staffed by a rotation of lifeguards, picturesque and complete with snack shacks beside.
The reception staff are always friendly and mostly speak English but it's worth asking if they do first. The buffet breakfast is plentiful with a variety of hot cooked breakfasts, cereals, cold meats and breads, fruit, pastries. tea, coffee and orange juice. We chose the 8-8.30am slot for breakfast which worked out well as it got really busy past 9am. The restaurant staff were friendly and efficient and infact whipped your empty plates away sharpish for cleaning and resetting on another table. The evening buffet was also varied with soups and bread, 3 or 4 hot meats, a few pasta dishes, selection of vegetables, potatoes, rice and paella dishes as well as more simple fries, burgers, hotdogs and pizzas etc. You get a large free bottle of water with every evening meal and the option for extra drinks at an extra cost. The desserts are also plentiful with a range of little cakes, mousses, jelly, fruit, ice creams and cheese, crackers and nuts available. If you spend 10 days - 2 weeks at the hotel, I would however, recommend using your evening meal pass at another one of the local hotels as the menu was not always the same but very similar everyday/night.
Free wifi in the hotel lounge area if you need it.

The Beach Club resort and beach itself is only 10 mins away by another mini train ride in the opposite direction and is well worth a look even on a cloudy/rainy day. The sea is quiet clear and warm and good fun for wave jumping and bodyboarding. You can also hire pedalos, jetskis and take a ride on the banana boat.

The theme park: very cool, looks like an earlier version of disneyland with themed areas like china, mexico, the far west and polynesia. The main thrill rides are the dragon khan, the furious baco and the condor which you should be able to youtube before you go! There are various mild thrill rides and china is mostly for smaller children, although another section is now being built for under 5s, ready for summer 2011. Unfortunately most rides banned me for being pregnant, but it was okay, just badly timed on our part! If it's a hot day, the water rides are brilliant and with the hotel passes you generally get at least 2 fast express passes to beat the crowds on a selection of rides.

The aquapark: great fun and vast. The lazy river is great fun and the play area with kids climbing equipment etc is brill for families. You can get a locker for 7 euros with 3 euros back at the end with the receipt, and there are plenty of takeaway places but they can be expensive so packing a lunch is a good idea. Get there early for a sunbed in the shade or one by the main pool. The beach pool has a wave machine activated every 20 mins or so and the indoor pools are great when it gets too hot. There are plenty of water flumes but I didn't experience them :(
PS The medical team at the aquapark are very nice if you every happen to faint from travel exhaustion, lack of food and heat on your first day like I did, so don't be shy to ask for medical help there as the doctor was lovely.

Worst points: We caught an early flight out of London (6am), arrived in the hotel at 11am but couldn't get into our room until 3pm, which made for a very long day, but we just changed into out swimming things, put our suitcases in the hotel storage and went to the aquapark until 4pm. When we got back to the hotel, the check in queue had completely disappeared and our luggage had been taken to our room by the bellboy which was great as we were on the second floor.
Salou town centre: We walked from the beach club to what we thought was the town centre but just found lots of holiday apartment blocks, cheap, nasty gift shops and games arcades, which is fine if you want to spend your last euros but we were hoping for some more sights, or maybe we didn't walk far enough because if was too far and hot! Lol.

Anyway, apologies for the long long review but these are all the things I wish I knew before we went :) Happy holidays.

5 Thank Rushmerfamily
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

I have just arrived back from a week stay at this hotel and thought it was brilliant. There was myself, hubby, son (10 yrs old) and in laws. We thought it was good that we had connecting rooms!
Check in did take a while but it is not something i would complain about as they have a lot of info to tell you.
Food was great. there was lots of choice but my son did get a little bit bored (being a fussy eater) by the 5th day and actually said he was fed up of chips. plates were cleared very quickly and staff were helpful.
The rooms were lovely although i do agree with some of the reviews on here that the floors were dusty. We did think it was great that we had beds made and fresh towels every day.
Parks were great and we loved the beach club.
There were 2 pools we could use and my son did not like the sandy one so we used the other one which was nearer to our room. pool could be bigger and deeper for older children.
I thought the surroundings of this hotel are beautiful.
Thomsons/ first choice are great could not fault at all although the welcome meeting did go on for longer than i expected it got a bit boring. Would definately book with thomsons again.
overall we had a fantastic family holiday, and are already thinking of booking up for next year but maybe El Paso!