“Ok hotel food abominable”
Review of California Garden

California Garden
Ranked #61 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We arrived at callifornia gardens, went to check in, room wasn't ready so we were given a card to get in luggage room, told to use middle lift n go to -1. Didn't tell us to use the card outside n inside the lift, we found a stairway down to the basement and after wandering around for a while found the luggage room, put the card in the door, wouldn't work. Went upstairs to the desk the lady on the desk was pig ignorant and managed to give us another card. Went back down n yes this card didn't work, by this time I was loosing my cool, went to look for the rep who wasn't on the coach with us but she had apparently been seen at the hotel, but obviously didn't stay around long, which didn't impress me one bit, back to the lady with the attitude, got yet another card which eventually worked, what should have took us 10 mins took up aprox one hour. Next came the meals, I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast as I had the meats and the cheese with a cob, couldn't face the cooked breakfast as it was swimming in fat, the evening meals were shocking, again very greasy, I basically had a bread cob with something on if I could find any meat without fat or dripping with grease, if not jam would have to do. AWFUL NEVER AGAIN, room service that takes a lot to be desired, go on the beds looked nice and neat, come to get in it at night n the top cover had been pulled over a messy bed that had not been made. One afternoon we went back to find our kettle had been knocked over and left for us to clean up when we got back, luckily it was noticed or it could have caused a nasty accident on those tiles. Anyway this is one place I will never visit again n maybe the girl behind the desk should drop her attitude and think more of customer service. (TWO DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS)

4  Thank billydud

Reviewed October 21, 2012

What a dump, on arrival the hotel appears to be presentable, however once you check in the trouble starts.
With the exception of one of the front desk staff they were abrupt, cold and very unwelcoming, the restaurant manager was extremely obnoxious along with all the staff in the restaurant. Hotel room was very basic with a dark drab colour fit out that made it extremely dark even with the lights on. We went full board(unfortunately) when we arrived we had lunch chips and lettuce, breakfast was ok up till the point when my wife found a dead fly floating in the beans, the chef eventually spotted it and very discreetly scooped it out hoping that no one saw it. We complained to the front desk but they just fobbed us off, this put us off breakfast, the food was extremely bad and everything was just not fresh. The glasses for the juices were very dirty and in the end we settled for plastic cups.

We eventually got to speak to the manager, but he seemed disinterested in our complaints. I have no doubt that some people will contradict me on this but as seasoned travellers we have come to expect certain standards and this hotel just failed so miserably. It is graded as a three star hotel, but this is very much a one or two star at best. The only good point is that it has a good location. Would I go back there to this hotel most definelty not, however I would return to Salou for a short break.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
7  Thank d1fleming
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I came here on the 5th of August been once want to go again loved the staff absolutely awesome when I have enough monny when I am older I will come again The only part I did not like was when my son got told he had to get out of the pool and the lifgard told my nise got told she could not swim

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Liamandrewdi
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I went to this hotel in September with my girlfriend. The weather was warm most days with only a few days of overcast. Hotel was in a great location next to the busy resort of Salou. Hotel staff were very friendly and the rooms were in clean condition with towels and beds changed every day. No complaints at all.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Luke I
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

We arrived late on Friday, checked in room we were given was not what we'd paid extra to our agent for, it was twin beds yet we'd paid for double! Room was functional and clean, view of car park. Went to reception to complain and their English wasn't all that great and our Spanish is not up to much so after alot of struggling they understood, said they'd leave a note for manager in the morning about changing our room! Apparently a hotel that has hundreds of rooms only has 8 double beds so reception staff told us! We had dinner its not nice food at all and your rushed, we were half board but went without food on a few occasions as it really wasn't very appealing.
We finally got our room changed and was given a room with 2 double beds over lookin the pool, and like many have mentioned the Disco keeps you awake luckily it wasn't open on Sunday so got to sleep one night ok.
We used the bar one night but felt out of place as it was all elderly Spanish German etc, didn't hear any English voices, so we had one drink and went back to our room, people are very inconsiderate at night shouting about and high heels clicking on the corridors always so much noise outside rooms.
Portaventura is well worth a this you can get 1 day ticket from reception for 44 euros but it closed at 7pm as out of season, and its only a 15 min walk from hotel.
We'd not stay here again on half board maybe at a push at room only and that's only due to location and easy access for Portaventura.

1  Thank kikv
Reviewed October 2, 2012

I am on day 2 out of 7 of my holiday in this hotel at present. Currently I have not come across any friendly or helpful staff in fact they are the most obnoxious people I have ever met out of any hotel I have travelled to around the world. Would highly not recommend this hotel, unless you are Russian or German as this seems to be the clientele they attract. Not like any holiday I have been on, where I would generally mix with British or Irish people and also would greet others in passing. Clientele are quite elderly also. Update will follow when I have stayed 7days.

4  Thank Ald1234
Reviewed September 30, 2012

California Garden is a very large tourist hotel catering for 800+ guests. Air conditioned rooms were comfortable and spotless. Linen was changed daily. Facilities included 2 supervised swimming pools, a supervised gym,various games-pool, snooker, air hockey, mini golf, outdoor and indoor bars etc. Although the hotel was fully booked there were sufficient facilities for all to enjoy.
Food was excellent and varied and, while there was some queuing and crowding, it was well managed, indeed all staff were friendly and helpful. We have stayed in many Salou hotels and this was one of the best.
The hotel is situated nearly half way between Levant beach and Portaventura, beside a disco which is loud for much of the night but It did not disturb our party.
Note that the lift only goes up to the 6th floor so if you are disabled or don't like stairs, avoid the 7th floor. For others,the view from the top and extra large balconies are worth the climb. We would be very happy to stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
3  Thank PeterTDublin