“cheap holiday”
Review of Albatros Family

Albatros Family
Ranked #5 of 68 Specialty Lodging in Salou
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed at the Albatros apartments in september so it was fairly quiet. Check in was fine, nice and quick, weren't asked to pay any room deposit though when i asked about the air con I was told I had to pay for it (in a previous review i'd read about the Albatros, it was said that if you were half board you didn't have to pay extra for it) we were half board yet still had to pay extra for it. Had i known this before hand I would not have stayed here. Room was clean and tidy with nice big comfy beds. Cleaner made beds and left clean towels every day but one. Apparently if you are self catering this doesn't happen. Albatros is very clean everywhere, you always see someone cleaning. Bar staff at Al's bistro are friendly and helpful, 2 euros for a pint. Food in the restaurant was average at best, sometimes cold and bland, and only the choice of cornflakes as far as cereal goes on a morning. It is a little far out but its a nice stroll along the beach walk to the center which we did after evening meal then up to the black bull family pub for happy hour and the quiz which was a good night out. Only real complaint was with Jumbo transfers. We booked the shuttle and ended up waiting at least 50 minutes to get going as they waited for people from other flights that were due to land and get through customs. They were also late to pick us up, and then they had more people to pick up from other hotels, if there had been a road accident or something else delaying our arrival to the airport we would have probably missed our flight. It was cutting it that fine. I suggest getting a taxi its not much more.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank freddydarlo
There are newer reviews for Albatros Family

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Really clean 2 bed apartment with plenty of space. Balcony is spacious and we had a great view.

Just be aware that there is a £80/120 euro room deposit required on arrival which I got back with no problem at all. Checking in and out was easy and very quick.

The hotel bar and restaurant 'Al's Bistro' is great, very reasonably priced around 7 euro for a pasta dish and there are cheaper dishes. Bar and Kitchen staff are friendly, if a little too keen to flirt with women :/

The beach is literally a minutes walk away as the steps down to the beach are just behind the hotel. Night life and restaurants are also a 5 minute walk away. The location of this hotel is really good and very useful if you have children, it's quieter at night than many would be and not far from everything to take children out.

Don't bother booking taxi transfers the airport bus is 5 euro and takes 15 minutes and go from just near the hotel.

The rooms seem extremely light as the curtains are fairly see through. By the window there is kind of a pull cord type thing, pull it down and shutters come up on the outside. They're to the right of each window on the wall, especially necesarry if you have small children else they won't sleep!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank 429Fern
Reviewed September 29, 2012

in one word BRILL thankyou all the staff for making our holiday the best to date .my family have never been treated so nice.look after from day on to last day.this hotel treated us like 5 star.not just saying this as i mean every word .we will be back . best wishers to you all.if you see bad reports in 2 words DONT LISTEN

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank elkie46
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Unfortunately I cannot review the apartments as I never got to see the inside of them! I booked these apartments about 4 months before I was due to arrive. When we got to the apartment a rude non English speaking woman shoved a map at me and all I could make out from her was that there was a water leak. Basically she was giving me a map and telling me to head down the street and go to another hotel. I told her no way was I going anywhere with 2 kids and several suitcases, so she eventually arranged transport to another hotel which seems to be part of the same branch of hotels but less family orientated and more for young couples. The hotel we ended up staying in was fine. My problem is that I spent alot of time reviewing my apartment before choosing it because we had 2 young kids with us and that was what I had paid for. The receptionist made no attempt to contact us, and we received no apology. My honest advice would be to not book these apartments. Very disappointed......

1  Thank Ursula23
Reviewed August 30, 2012

we stayed at the albatros bed and breakfast from 18th-25th aug, we arrived at 11am but was told our room wouldnt be ready til 5,
but they did have a locked room downstairs which we could put our cases in.

when we did get out room (416) we were surprised with how big it was for two people as we were expecting one room with beds and a kitchen in,
our room had a living room with tv, table, wardrobe and fold out settee bed with seperate bedroom, kitchen and bathroom with two balconies as we were on a corner.
we did have air-con in our room but we didnt bother paying for it as it was 11 euros a day.

We werent asked for a deposit and our room was cleaned daily, bins emptied and fresh towels.
The breakfast was nothing amazing but we found something to eat every morning, the staff were friendly and were understanding when we had our bag stolen (was stolen in a club)
including our room key which we thought we would have been charged for a new key.

the apartments are in a good position only a little walk down a hill into town or to the beach, the hill on the way back is quite steep especially in the heat, both from town and the beach.

we found the location and the friendliness of staff in hotel very good , so we will be returning next year as we had a really enjoyable stay.

1  Thank jenrach
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We travelled with our two children ( 8 & 5) and stayed from August 11th to August 25th 2012. The hotel is in a excellent location near several lovely beaches and is in a quiet part of Salou. The town itself is a 15 - 20 minute walk away along the seafront. I had read some negative reviews of the hotel and was quite apprehensive, but I was pleasantly surprised. Our room was a studio apartment with two beds and a sofa bed. The bathroom and kitchen were spotlessly clean and with brand new fixtures and fittings, and the balcony was very large with a partial view of the sea (room 233). The bistro is a really good place to eat - much cheaper than a lot of the restaurants in Salou. There is a supermarket on site, and the prices there are comparable to the prices of a Spar shop in the UK. The swimming pool is great because the children's section is gated, so they are quite safe to splash around in there if you want to go for a swim yourself. Plenty of sunloungers around the pool, no rowdy groups or loud music. We had booked the most basic self-catering package, so if you choose to do this you need to be aware of some surcharges: 110Euro cash deposit upon arrival, towels and sheets changed only once per week unless you pay 1Euro per towel/sheet for clean ones. Also, you are responsible for taking out your own rubbish. If you want air-conditioning it is charged from 8Euro per 24 hours. All in all, we had a fantastic experience and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone with a young family. would definitely return!

2  Thank Soozie_12
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Arrived at the Albatros on the 16th August,check in was very slow and there was only one person ahead of us,the old lady had a very unwelcoming face and seemed to hate her job,anyway checked in and the room we where giving was nice but had NO AIR CONDITIONING!!(Room 320 Avoid) it was 34 Degrees outside and we had a baby with us..I went back down and asked for a room with air conditioning in which she kept saying to ask her boss,in the end they gave us two FANS! they did nothing! After a Sleepless night with the fans,I went back down, eventually i got the Manager,She Tried to Get me to pay an extra 350 euros for a bigger two bedroom room with air con.. I refused but insisted i needed air con,In the end she just Gave it to Us for nothing,once we payed for air con which was 11 euro a night but well worth the money as it was so hot.The Apartment was Huge and had a enormous balcony.We were self catering,towels were not changed nor were bed's,not sure if thats normal procedure for self catering so be aware.
Overall The hotel is clean,spacious rooms,Lovely views(if you get 4th or 5th floor and are facing sea)As there are buidings all around it Blocking the views. The hotel is not far from salou main strip but is up hill,most buses run just outside.I didn't see any entertainment at the place,didn't seem to be on,Food was nice at the bistro and never busy and pool was good, you always got a sunbed,the water gets deep very Quick and there is NO life Guard.There are lovely beaches very close by.It wasn't great for kids,we had a 5 year old and baby and not much to entertain them,we went to the international down the road to entertain the 5 year old,he enjoyed it there.

Room Tip: Get a Room on 4th or 5th floor,sea facing,our room was 435,huge Apartment but you could probally get...