“Lovely hotel!”
Review of Hotel Marinada

Hotel Marinada
Ranked #33 of 93 Hotels in Salou
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We booked this hotel as part of a package holiday online, which we had quite a tight budget for, so I was a bit unsure what to expect from the hotel.
I was very pleasantly surprised! We walked into a spacious, clean and air-conditioned reception area, which had an area off to the side with sofas (often used by people wanting internet access!)
Our room was on the 3rd floor, and luckily we got a corner one. The room had everything we needed and was cleaned every day. The bathroom was fine, and the shower was lovely and powerful! We had a balcony overlooking the road (which was quiet, not much traffic, and I think I'd recommend one overlooking the road rather than the pool which may get noisy during the day)
The only slight noise issue was in the evening from the entertainment of the apartment complex over the road, but this wasn't too bad and didn't go on too late.
The pool area was a good size with lots of sunbeds and parasols available - although we did sometimes struggle to get one especially if we didn't turn up at the pool early. It was often quite loud around the pool as there was always music playing, and at certain times of the day the kids club would be active doing activities either in or around the pool which might be an issue if you wanted to totally relax, but we found not too much bother.
Breakfast was provided for us, which was really nice - a large range of choice including cold meats and cheese, bread, pastries, cakes, cooked breakfast items, cereal, yogurt, fruit etc. There was always plenty to choose from and the staff in the dining room were really attentive, clearing tables and keeping the food topped up regularly. We didn't have the lunch or dinner so can't comment on these.
Snacks and drinks were available for a reasonable price around the poolside - there was things like burgers, chips, hotdogs, toasties etc available to buy in the day as well as ice creams and ice lollies. Drinks weren't too expensive and there was Happy Hour twice a day where it was buy-1-get-1-free on drinks which we took advantage of quite a lot!
The hotel was situated in a really good area of Salou I felt, it was tucked back slightly from the main strip of shops, bars and restaurants, which meant it was quiet, but it was only a 5min walk to access these things. There were also three beaches within a short walk - the biggest (main) beach of Salou was the furthest away but not too far for us. The railway station was quite a long walk but as it was down the main street past all the shops it was enjoyable, and we got the train to Barcelona (took about an hour) one of the days of our holiday.
The wifi could have been better in the hotel - we couldn't access it from our 3rd floor corner room and only seemed to be able to pick it up from the reception area and poolside.
Overall we loved this hotel, the room, location etc were all ideal for us.

Room Tip: I'd suggest a room overlooking the road rather than the pool area, and higher up to be quieter...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SGab1987

Reviewed August 6, 2014

Stayed at the marinada for a week between 29th july and 5th august. We had two inter connecting rooms on the third floor facing the street, the rooms are a little basic but but very clean and a good size, the beds are a little hard but that is a personal preference, breakfast buffet was great and had a varied selection to keep everyone happy. The hotel is in a good location and is only a short 20 min taxi ride to airport or 10 mins to port aventura or costa caribe water park. As a family we enjoyed our stay and would recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road would be a little quieter at night.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

A family and couple hotel, not ideal for singles. Staff were nice. Location is good, great pool. Good prices at Bar. Would recommend it. Good for the price of it. Very basic, bed, bathroom, balcony and tv.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Elaine F
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed here for 7 nights with my family in July. We were holidaying on a budget and the Marinada came in quite competitive so after reading some reviews we booked it.

Upon arrival we struggled to find parking on the street but saw the sign for the underground car park. It's down a fairly steep hill with a shutter at the bottom. The shutter wouldn't open so we abandoned the car and headed for reception. Here we were informed it is €8 a night to park the car. We booked 1 nights parking and checked in. Beware if you are driving a large car as the car park is very tight! I was nervous maneouvring the tiny Seat Mii rental car. Parking is difficult enough to find on the streets but for the remainder of the holiday we found (free) parking within a hundred metres or so of the hotel.

Check in was fast and efficient and the reception area was spotless. Straight up to the room we went to unpack so we could hit the pool and once again, we were impressed with the room. Not huge but not tiny either and very clean (cleaned every day) with a big balcony overlooking the pool. We threw our swimming gear on and headed down to the pool. Again, I couldn't fault the pool area. The pool water was cold (which is nice and refreshing on those hot days) and there was a shallow end and deep end and a separate childrens pool. There is also mini-golf, a children's playground, a huge chess board, exercise machines, a couple of pool tables and table tennis tables. All week there was a life guard on duty (sometimes 2) so it was very safe. There is also an indoor pool downstairs but I never ventured down for a look.

The kids club is superb. They keep the children occupied for a large part of the day and seem to have a lot of fun. They also included any willing adults in the games. The majority of guests seem to be Spanish so it could be difficult to follow the games at times but the staff always spoke in English when they saw us getting involved.

The location of the hotel is also worthy of mention. 2 minutes from the strip, 5 minute walk to the beach and the Port Aventura train drives right by the hotel.

The evening entertainment was perhaps a little too loud (our room directly faced it) but ended before 12 each evening so no real problems getting to sleep and we generally stayed up to watch from our balcony anyway but it could be a bugbear for some.

I generally never go half board as I enjoy trying new restaurants and fear I would tire of eating in the same place night after night. However with the price to upgrade being so small, it seemed like a good idea so we went half board. We decided to eat 50% of the time in the restaurant and I was really surprised at the high quality and diversity of food. It was a similar story at breakfast, there really was something for everybody. I didn't sample anything from the lunch menu so can't comment on that, my Dad will contest that the alcohol was very reasonably priced.

I really don't have a bad word to say about the Marinada, it was so much better than I expected. The staff really made an effort to make sure everybody enjoyed their stay. The showers were very powerful and there was always hot water. The internet was slow at times but I came on holidays to get away from staring at electronic screens so it didn't concern me too much. Air con was free but the rooms never got that hot anyway so we hardly used it.

If I was returning to Salou, I would definitely return to the Marinada

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool get sun on their balconies in the evenings
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
8  Thank fletch555
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed six nights in this hotel in June 2014 and really can't complain. The Wi-fi was very poor but the rooms were spotless, breakfast was tasty and there was a good continental selection and the facilities in the hotel were brilliant (lovely pool, loads of sunchairs, pool tables, air hockey, table tennis). The staff were also very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Stayed in this Hotel for the first time last week and I must say that it was excellent. The public area and the rooms were spotless. The Staff very friendly and extreemly helpful. The only down side was the evening meal, which could have had more choice. But when you go to somewhere like Spain you have expect the food to be different. Have been to Salou approx.18 times in all and would certainly use this Hotel again, as a matter of fact will be returning in September.

J. Thomas

Room Tip: Had a room on the 2nd floor on the road side and must say that we had no trouble as far as noise was...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Janice T
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have spent 5 days from 15 to 21 September!
It is a very good hotel but restaurant and rooms can very Noisy!
You can hear all what happens in the next room!
Rooms are not sound-proofing!
All the rest is perfect!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends